Classmates

Classmates - Sunggyu

Day after day there would always be trouble, books slapped from your hands, people mocking you behind your back, pushing and shoving into walls and lockers which usually led to skinned arms and elbows. The classroom wasn’t a safe haven either. Nothing seemed to be. 

This one boy, Sunggyu, always collected the papers for the class as he walked to the front, he would always knock over the books on the way back as the teacher had their back turned. The class smirked at you quietly as the teacher continued to teach, not even caring for the embarrassment that Sunggyu brought you.

Lunch time was really the only time that you liked, since you got to be by yourself in the corner of the cafeteria listening to your music. But first you had to stand in the lunch line in order to get your food. The tedious line hardly moved as they loaded up your lunch tray with sloppy food that didn’t even look appetizing. As you began to walk to your seat in the back of the cafeteria someone bumped into you, initiating the tray in your hands to be pushed up against your shirt. The unappetizing food was now all over your clean white shirt that was now becoming see through. As you looked up to see the person that caused all of this, he began to stutter.

"M-Mianhae." He ran off as you recognized him as Sunggyu from your class. You hissed as the rest of the lunch room busted into laughter, pointing and asking you if you wanted a bib like little babies wore. Covering up your face you quickly ran out of the lunchroom passing the long line as  you ran to the nearest girl’s bathroom. Sliding to the floor as your tears streaked down your cheeks as you sat and waited for the rest of the day to waste away.

"Where’s _____?" Your classmates asked as they saw you at lunch. They all shrugged their shoulders in response as there was no friends that cared for you like you’d hope. You hope that there was that one brave soul to run after you and to hold you in their arms and just to be with you. Being lonely was the worse part of it all. 

Sunggyu felt devastated not seeing you in class for he knows how much you love to learn and to grow. He wondered if he did anything that made you like this, to make you disappear.

During the next week you didn’t show up to class. You had thankfully talked to your parents and convinced them to let you change schools, which wasn’t an easy task but as your father saw you so heartbroken, he took the matter into his hands.

— 

"Hey do you know where ______ is?" Sunggyu asked the classmates and said that you had left. His heart stopped as if he had let you slip through his fingers.

Getting your number from some other classmates he was able to track down your house. After school he walked to your house, knocking on the door and your father answers it.

"May I please speak to ______?" Your father lets in Sunggyu as he goes to fetch you from your room.

"You have a visitor." Your father leaned against the door as you nodded taking a break from your studies, you skipped down the stairs as you met eyes with your classmate, Sunggyu. You slowed your skipping as you walked down the last two.

"Yes?" You asked as you kept your hand over the end post of the banister to have something to play with.

"I-I was just wondering why you aren’t coming to school anymore?" Sunggyu stuttered as his heart opened its wings.

"O-Oh well I changed schools." You said as you felt the edging of the post as you tried to distract yourself.

"What was your reason for changing schools, I am just curious." Sunggyu said trying not to intrude.  

"Well this certain person was being mean to me, as did most of the students. I think anyone cared if I left so I did." You said not making eye contact as he was the main reason that you moved.

He nodded his head gently, “I hope that you change your decision. Some of us really miss you.” He blushed as he let out a little chuckle.

"Really?" You asked doubting him.

"You know the way that your hand shoots up when you answer something, or when people knock over your books over and over and you don’t show a hint of anger. When you sit in the corner of the cafeteria because you don’t think that you have any friends." Sunggyu shifted his feet as he poured out everything that he had noticed about you. "I think that you are a wonderful, smart, intelligent, bright, beautiful, and forgiving person that deserves only the best. A beautiful person that will surely be missed." Sunggyu looked into your eyes for his last part as he bowed to you, helping himself out. You stood at the banister for a while just thinking about what he said, who you missed, and everyone that you had talked to and laughed with.

The next day at school you were back in your seat ready for class as Sunggyu sat behind you a couple of seats diagonally from you. During the first break, the classmates left the room as if they hadn’t missed you. Sunggyu slowly got up from his desk and knelt beside yours.

"I am glad you came back, it didn’t feel like school without you." Sunggyu said as he gave you a warm welcoming smile, "Would you like to sit with me at lunch?" 

"I would like that" You said as you got up. Sunggyu gently picked up your books, the ones that he had pushed to the floor several times before, holding them between his arms as you both walked to the cafeteria to share lunch with each others company.