Three

Set Up Gone Wrong

 

(Ricky POV) 

 

There's something wrong with Chunji hyung. Something seriously wrong. 

 

We were at our practice, late into the night. We had just finished recording Weekly Idol, and went to the studio to polish up our dance before Show Champion the next day. Chunji hyung got the entire dance wrong. He even got his own parts wrong--he was crashing into all the members, and eventually, we had to cut the song short multiple times. 

 

"Chunji, what's up with you?" CAP hyung asked, as he paused the music and looked over at him. All the members sort of gave each other confused glances, and all turned to look at Chunji hyung. Except Ljoe hyung, who sat on one of the benches, drinking some water.

 

Chunji hyung had his hands on his knees, his body bent forward. "I don't know…I'm just tired I guess. Let's run through it again…" 

 

"We've already done that, three damn times, Chunji. How many more times do you need before you can get it right?!" Ljoe suddenly shouted, throwing the water bottle to the side and getting up off the bench. The water bottle landed with a sharp crack, onto our practice room floor. His voice echoed, harshly ricocheting against the walls. The whole room got silent.

 

Ljoe hyung had never yelled at Chunji hyung before. Sure, they fought and argued, but there was never any yelling. This was the first time since our trainee days that I heard Ljoe hyung yell at Chunji hyung before. In fact, the only person he actually yelled at before was Niel hyung, but those two fought often because they couldn't see eye to eye on much matters during our trainee days--

 

Chunji slowly got up from his position and swivelled around to look at Ljoe. His face was tight, and dark. "I'm sorry, am I a burden to you, Ljoe?" 

 

"Yeah. Yeah, you are. You're a burden to everyone in this goddamn room because you can't get the dance right. The dance we've been practicing for months. Months, Chunji. How can we perform on stage with you being like this, huh? Can you do anything right?" 

 

I looked at CAP hyung for some sort of instruction. But he just shook his head. Most of the time, it was better to just let anger run it's course, rather than trying to barge in and stop it. Ljoe hyung and Chunji hyung had been tense ever since that day we set Ljoe hyung up with L hyung. Things were too quiet between them. They talked less than usual, in fact, they didn't talk to one another or anyone else at all. The pair was pretty much waiting for something to come along and set them off. 

 

"If you could stop being so childishly angry for one freakin' second, we could just get this practice over with and be one step closer to not being in the same damn room with each other!" Ljoe continued, his facial expression grower darling by the second. 

 

I couldn't help it--I opened my mouth to plead to them to stop arguing, when Chunji hyung suddenly marched on over to Ljoe hyung and punched him square in the jaw. The sound was scary. Ljoe hyung's head was to the side, and I could see him moving his jaw a bit to test how much the damage was. "You can have what you want now, Ljoe. As always." Chunji hyung gave him a dry smile before calmly walking out of the practice room, nearly slamming the door off it's hinges after he shut it closed.

 

"Ljoe, control yours--"

 

"You ing bastard!" Ljoe hyung screamed at the top of his lungs, making me jump and slightly yelp. 

 

CAP hyung motioned for me and the others to leave. He always knew how to handle Ljoe hyung. He didn't need to tell me twice--I was the first one to leave.

 

*****

(Chunji POV) 

 

I flexed my fingers, wincing at the pain. God, I hit him hard. 

 

I went straight back to the dorm after I had walked out of the practice room. It was a thirty minute walk, which wasn't too bad. I focused purely on my surroundings, to kind of help me forget about what had happened earlier. 

 

At the dorm, I decided to keep myself in Niel's room. I didn't want to go in the room Byunghun and I shared. I didn't even know why I hit him…I guess I was just angry at him…But not because of what he said in the practice room. Just because of what he did. That was the first time I hit him, or hit anyone, in my life. And I would never guess in a million years that it would be Byunghun that received my first punch. 

 

An hour later, I heard the key pad making that ding sound, notifying me that the others were home. I could only make out the voices of Niel and Changjo, playing around with each other. Usually, Byunghun was in on it too, but not today. I didn't bother going out of Niel's room to see the group. Laying down on Niel's bed, I pretended to be fiddling around with my phone. 

 

Niel walked in, and nearly screamed when he saw me. "Hyung, you scared me!" 

 

I rolled my eyes, sitting up straight. "How mad as he? Tell me the truth." 

 

Niel sighed, closing the door to his room and chewing on his upper lip. "He's pretty angry. I guess we can know for sure when you check the room you two share."

 

There was a particular way Byunghun worked when he was angry. When we argued, if he locked the door to our room, then he was really mad. If he didn't, he wanted to talk and work things out. It had been a while since it had been to the extreme where he locked the door, and to be honest, I didn't really want to go check. I hit him; I punched him--why wouldn't he be mad? 

 

This was one of the few times I wished that I could go back in time. To that time in the practice room. I wouldn't have hit him, I would have just accepted all his words. If I had, then he wouldn't have been this angry.

 

I hated fighting with him. I needed him, I relied on him for the past half decade we've known each other. Because we always saw each other, and because we were always together…I didn't really know how to be without him. Jeez, it sounded like we were in a relationship or something. If you're around a certain person for such a long period time, every hour of every day, they became a part of you. I couldn't believe I messed up again. I shouldn't have been angry with him for being happy after his set up date with L. If he was happy, shouldn't I be happy too? I should have been happy for him…

 

"Should I go check?" I asked Niel, looking to him for his reaction. Niel sighed, lightly ruffling his purple locks. "You should work things out with him, hyung. Ljoe hyung is right--we can't go on stage so uncoordinated, and this situation is clearly bothering you and affecting your performance…I'm sure if you just tell him the truth and how you feel, he'll understand." 

 

Would he? Would he even listen? 

 

*****

 

Chunji took a deep breath, before placing his hand on the handle. He had expected it to be locked, and was surprised when the knob dipped, the door opening. Ljoe was inside the room, sitting on his bed and nonchalantly flipping through a magazine. He was in sweat pants and a loose t-shirt, with white socks. All hope Chunji had was crushed when Ljoe didn't even acknowledge his presence. Not even a twitch. "L-Ljoe." 

 

Nothing. Ljoe flipped a page of his magazine and read. 

 

Chunji bit his lower lip, shutting the door to their room a bit too loud. "Ljoe, can we talk?" 

 

He waited eagerly for some sort of reaction from the other. Even a glare or a shake of the head would have been better than nothing. But Ljoe made no attempts to converse with the other, and didn't seem interested at all. Chunji studied Ljoe's face, looking for a bruise on his jawline, and was relieved when he didn't find one. That meant it couldn't have hurt that bad, right? 

 

"Please." Chunji quietly mumbled, looking down at his feet as his hands folded together in front of him. 

 

He heard movement on the bed, but couldn't bring himself to lift his head. "If you hadn't caught on yet, I have nothing I want to say to you." And with that, Byunghun coldly left the room. Chunji sighed, plopping down onto the floor and burying his face in his hands. There was a weird stinging pain in his chest, but it wasn't physical pain it was more…emotional? He wasn't sure. Chunji couldn't remember the last time Ljoe and him fought like this…well, at least, to this extent. Chunji didn't know what he was supposed to do--he couldn't even apologize, because Ljoe wouldn't give him the time of day. 

 

I have to catch up with him, and make him listen. Chunji quickly got up and rushed out of the room. He looked throughout the dorm, searching for Ljoe, but to no avail. He happened to crash right into Changjo. "Byunghun. Where is he?" 

 

Changjo titled his head, blinking. "Hyung…Ljoe hyung left to go meet up with L hyung."