' target.

' bitter yearning

Naeun paused briefly as she passed the familiar house at the end of the street, half expecting to see her scruffy best friend tumbling out of the front door with his breakfast still in one hand and his hair messy as ever.

But no. That would never happen again, it could never happen again. Only her mind kept replaying these small moments that led her to believe she loved the selfish boy that stole her calculator five years ago during a dull math class, the same boy that devoted his life to protecting her and making sure that no one bothered her during class or attempted to steal her calculator.

Naeun let out a deep sigh as her shoulders slumped and she turned her back on the house she had spent so many happy times in. She had turned her back on him that night as well.

 

"Naeun, please try to understand!" Jongin called from behind his best friend, reaching out to grab her wrist as they reached his house. The lights were on as always but he knew better than to believe that his parents had actually come home early one evening to spend time with their sixteen year old son two days before his birthday. Jongin himself had been celebrating it early because his one and only friend was going away with her parents for the weekend, meaning she couldn't be with him on the actual day and Naeun's way of making it up to him was by taking him to his favorite restaurant and giving him gifts there. However, the news that he had made other friends in the past three weeks seemed to upset her more than he thought.

Naeun snatched her hand back from him, shooting him a glare before she turned her back and headed in the direction of her own house. "There's nothing to understand, Jongin. Today was supposed to be our day." As Naeun left her best friend behind her, she didn't think twice about it. She didn't even consider turning around to make sure he had returned home safely, in fact she didn't even dare call him once to make sure he was safe.

Unfortunately she didn't find out until she returned home from her vacation with family that her best friend hadn't been seen in three days.

One week later, he still hadn't been seen.

One month later there was still no sign, only his phone was found broken in the local park but there was no Jongin around.

One year later, he had yet to appear but Naeun still hadn't given up hope. Every night she took a stroll around the park, his house and to their favorite restaurant in hope that one night she might see him again to apologise for her behaviour and for not checking on him like she should have. Sometimes, Naeun's stubborness got the better of her, that was just one of the occasions that she deeply regretted.

 

Now she stood in front of that same house, the house that had been empty for almost a year, the house that her best friend wouldn't be running out of anytime soon to greet her with a big grin and the latest plans that he had, most of which ended in disaster.

"Naeun-ah? What are you doing here?" a deep voice came from behind her, belonging to a person that she wasn't too familiar with but she had heard it before.

Curiosity got the better of her and Naeun turned to face the owner of the voice. "Baekhyun?" The almost orange haired boy stared right back at her, tilting his head ever so slightly. "I could ask you the same question."

"Oh, I have a friend that lives nearby." He replied, shoving his hands into his coat pockets and shifting his weight to one side awkwardly. Baekhyun didn't look at Naeun for too long, his gaze slowly shifted to a dark figure moving towards them from a few houses away. "Why don't we go grab something to drink? I don't know that much about you." He smiled a little at the dark haired girl in front of him but his attention was on that dark figure. And it wasn't going to go anytime soon.

"Uhm, sure." There was no real reason for Naeun accepting his offer, she didn't have a lot of interest in him afterall. Sure he was obviously handsome and had some charm around him but he wasn't really her type of guy, but then again...no guy ever was apart from Jongin. Before she knew it, Baekhyun had a hold of her wrist and he was dragging her to the nearest coffee place, blabbering on about one of his friends while they walked. Sadly, she wasn't paying much attention to him but from what she did hear it sounded like Baekhyun had a strong connection with this guy. Whoever he was. "Why do you want to know more about me?" she suddenly blurted out, eyes wide like a deer. Why was this new kid trying to become her friend? She never needed friends and the only one that she did have was long gone by now.

"You're special."

"Special?"

"Yes, special. Very special, actually." This caused Naeun to roll her eyes, and it was only then that she really noticed where in fact they were. She was so caught up in her own thoughts that she hadn't noticed how far they were from Jongin's house, how far they were from the nearest coffee place. That they were now in a dark alley, surrounded by tall buildings and busy streets. She was trapped and there was no way anyone would hear her pleas for help. Baekhyun looked around innocently, his lips as he did so. He stepped even closer, closing the space between the two.

"In fact, you're very special to one of my dear friends. And now, you're going to be special to me." He smirked as the last words left his lips, his hands pressed her shoulders against the nearest wall, making her head crack against the cold brick. Sometimes, he forgot just how strong he really was. "You'll thank me for this later."

Naeun was about to reply, although she wasn't sure what she should say. Everything seemed like a blur and her recent head injury was starting to hurt even more, although it wasn't nearly as painful as the burning sensation on her right shoulder where Baekhyun had his lips pressed to the skin, only it was his teeth that went deeper than just the skin. They drew blood, sinking even further into her flesh. The pain from both her head and her shoulder was too much, Naeun struggled to let out a strangled scream but it was too late. It was done.

Then everything went black.