Chapter One

Sweater Weather

Byunghun was the kind of person who didn’t like to trouble others. He pushed people away, avoided them, and ignored their occasional generosity. Why? Because he was afraid. 

To Byunghun, letting others help him felt wrong. He didn’t want to receive their help because he knew he wouldn’t be able to return it in the same way. Little did he know, there are people willing to help others without asking for anything in return.

--

Byunghun went from one class to another, from locker to bathroom, from first floor to third floor, with two things in his mind. One being the thought of the boy named Chanhee, and the other being his mind telling him to focus on school so his parents wouldn’t scold him for his already almost perfect grades.

Third period on Mondays and Fridays were Byunghun’s least favorite class: PE. Well, it wasn’t as if he had a favorite class or a class he actually enjoyed, but PE was the worst of them all. Byunghun was never great at sports, and his body’s condition was not the best either. It might have been his own fault that his body is weaker than others, but he liked to believe, or convince himself, that he was born that way and there was nothing he could do about it. Especially on hot summer days like these, PE classes were only more difficult for the boy who always refused to take off his sweater. 

“Time to take roll call!” Mr. Shin, the PE teacher for all juniors in the school, called out in his usual terrifying roar that the students eventually got used to but still managed to jump a little every time. After several students were called in alphabetical order, 

“Lee Byunghun!”

“Here,”

“Are you still not going to take off that sweater of yours? You do realize how hot it is don’t you?”

“Yes Mr. Shin, but I’d still like to keep it on..”

“Well, okay then, just don’t pass out from the heat or something… Anyway, today we are going to practice running for the upcoming field day event!” 

All the students groaned and complained with why’s, ugh’s, I don’t want to’s, and can we not’s, but every single one of them knew the consequences if they don’t listen to Mr. Shin’s orders. 

“What are you all waiting for? Go run 10 laps right now!”

“YES MR. SHIN!” the entire class of 11-06 responded in unison and ran off without saying another word.

Fifty minutes later, when PE class was finally over, all the students who were drenched in sweat by now, dragged their tired bodies back to the classroom. On the way back, Byunghun, who was barely able to make it up three flights of stairs, bumped into a boy slightly taller than himself when they both walked with their eyes focused on the ground. 

“Oh! I’m so sor- aren’t you the one from next door? Byunghun, right? We met this morning…” the excitement in Chanhee’s voice soon trailed off when he saw the look on Byunghun’s face, “hey, are you alright? You look really pale...Did you just have PE class or something? You should probably take off-”

“I’m fine, don’t worry...I’m usually like this after PE class,” Byunghun interrupted Chanhee’s sentence and forced a smile as he talked because for some reason, he didn’t like the sight of Chanhee being upset, especially over him. 

“Are you sure you’re feeling fine? I mean, I can take you to the nurse or something,” Chanhee didn’t seem upset but rather worried about the boy who looked like he was about to pass out any second now. 

“Yeah, I’m really sure…” 

That was when Byunghun’s body couldn’t take it anymore, which caused the exhausted boy to collapse then and there. Because there was only an arm’s length distance between the two boys while they talked, Chanhee was able to catch the collapsing boy in his arms. 

“You could have just told me you felt sick, you know…” Chanhee told Byunghun even though he knew that the already unconscious boy wasn’t going to hear him at all. 

When Chanhee adjusted himself and gently piggybacked Byunghun’s light body, the sleeves of Byunghun’s sweater scrunched up. 

That was also the first time Chanhee found out the reason why Byunghun refused to take his sweater off.

 

 

 

 

=========================================================================================================

I'm thankful for every single subbie and thanks for sticking with me even when I update every who knows when so thank you, really.