Something in the Dark

Don't Look or it Takes You

Michelle woke up from her dream, gasping and curling her fists. She was sweating, her hair was in a wild mess. She shot up from her bed throwing the blankets on the floor and began clutching her stuffed Pikachu close to her chest.

I had a weird dream Pikachu...” Michelle moaned as she rested her head on top of her stuffed Pokemon. “A really really weird dream.”

Her Pikachu was quiet and said nothing. Michelle sighed. She was acting funny as usual. Talking to her stuffed animals was the only way for her to calm down whenever something happened to her.

Michelle placed her Pikachu on the bed and pulled the blanket over it.

 

She forced herself out of bed and walked out of her room. As she walked down the stairs, she held her hand close to the wall. Downstairs, it was really dark and because of her dream, Michelle walked over and all the lights downstairs. She looked outside the window and then at the clock. It was three in the morning.

Getting a cup of water, Michelle opened the fridge with a cup in her hand and poured water into the cup.

Suddenly, as she began to drink, she heard a scratching noise from outside. It sounded like the neighborhood cat, scratching the front door. Michelle yawned, and placed her cup in the sink.

Then, she heard someone holler and scream in pain.

Terrified and scared, Michelle raced over to the front door and placed her ear next to the door, trembling. W-what was that...Michelle thought to herself, shaking with fear.

She heard someone mumbling, who sounded like a man. Michelle looked through the peephole, wondering who was outside.

Michelle screamed.

 


 

 

"Daehyun...Daehyun..."

Daehyun turned around and saw Youngjae poking him on the shoulder. They were both sitting together with the rest of the group at the dinner table.

Youngjae grinned and nudged him with his elbow. "You've been quiet the last couple of days. What happened to you?"

"Nothing," Daehyun said with a frown. He looked down at his uneaten Subway sandwich.

"Probably the fans," Zelo snickered. "I heard Hyung got confessions from all the girls who had a crush on him and then he got really embarrassed.”

"Hah really?!" Youngjae laughed, patting Daehyun on the shoulder. "Yah 'Busan's Wonbin' (Daehyun's nickname) not bad!”

Everyone at the table laughed. Daehyun bit his Subway sandwich in annoyance but gave a small smile.

Where's Bang?” Himchan asked, then he stopped. “Oh wait. I forgot.”

Then, everyone at the table went quiet.

Hyung!” Zelo hissed, in a quiet voice. “You can't say anything about Bang!”

It's alright Zelo,” Daehyun sighed. “It's not like anyone can hear us anyways.”

They were all eating at Himchan's place and although nobody except them was home.

Yeah but nobody in the whole world knows about what happened to Bang,” Zelo said in a low voice. “Everyone just thinks that he went off somewhere in America to improve his music talent.”

But we can't lie for long,” Younjae pointed out. “Otherwise people will get suspicious.”

Yeah but it's already been a week....” Zelo muttered, crossing his arms.

Jong Up, who didn't talk at all during dinner, got up from his seat and grabbed his sandwich with him.

Where are you going?” Himchan asked.

Home.” Jong Up said. “I have to go over to my mom's house tomorrow. I'm sort of worried about her health.”

Himchan placed his hand on his shoulder. “Why don't you stay over at my house? The rest of us are.”

Why? So that we won't be kidnapped like Bang was?” Jong Up retorted.

Suddenly, Daehyun banged his fists on the table and got up, grabbing Jong Up by his shirt collar. “Yah Jong Up. Do you want to die?”

Psh what the hell is your problem?” Jong Up snorted, grabbing Daehyun's arm. “You wanna fight?”

You guys enough!” Himchan shouted, breaking them apart. “You both want to die?!”

Jong Up and Daehyun backed from each other with unsatisfied looks. “We are all worked up about Bang's disappearance,” Himchan said. “But the least we can do is stick together and look out for one another like family. Hopefully we find Bang soon.”

I just don't get it,” Daehyun sighed, covering his forehead with his hand. “Why do we have to hide it? If everyone knew that Bang was gone, they would all help look for him, right? It would be a lot easier and we would get more help looking for him!”

Daehyun...” Youngjae said, walking towards his friend. “All of us don't really know but for know we should just listen to Himchan hyung and stick together.”

Whatever...” Daehyun growled, curling his fists. “I'm going to be gone tomorrow so I'm going to sleep.”

 

 

 


 

Michelle!?”

Her mother ran downstairs along with her older brother. They saw Michelle on her back, shaking in horror.

What's wrong?!” Her mother rushed to her daughter, putting a comforting hand around her shoulder. “Are you alright?!”

Michelle's older brother Wonik glanced out the front window and then unlocked the door.

N-N-N-NOO!!” Michelle yelled at her brother, kneeling over and grabbing his leg. “D-D-Don't open the door!!”

There's nobody outside.” Wonik told her, opening the door. “What were you even—” Her brother stopped talking and stared at our door, only opening it a little. Michelle couldn't tell whether he was shocked or terrified or both.

What is it Wonik?” Their mother asked with worry.

Michelle got up shakily and grabbed her brother's arm. “W-Wonik? What did you see?”

Wonik looked at Michelle then back at the door. “Call the police.”

Why?” Michelle asked trembling. “What happened? Oppa!! Tell me!”

Wonik pushed Michelle away and growled at her. “Call the police now!”

Michelle and Wonik's mother stepped between them and looked at Wonik with concern. “What's the matter Wonik? Why do we need to call the police? You told us there was no one outside our front door.”

Mom...” Wonik said, his voice and expression unreadable. “He isn't outside.”

What do you mean he?” Michelle cried out. “What are you talking about Oppa!”

Then, suddenly the door creaked open by itself. Everyone backed away as the door opened.

Then, they all screamed.