Confession

The One Who Stays

 

 

Hakyeon was receiving the same treatment he got when he provoked Eri about Taekwoon and Hongbin before. They were ignoring each other the whole time. When Hakyeon went out from his bedroom that morning, he went straight to Jaehwan and told him to cook breakfast for him. Eri rolled her eyes away muttering “lazy pig” under her breath.

 

They had breakfast together in Hakyeon’s kitchen. The cold atmosphere turned Jaehwan’s appetite off so he requested to go to the café first. Eri stood up instantly.

 

“I’ll come with you. I can’t stand being in this house for long anyway”

 

Hakyeon glared at her furiously but resisted the temptation to yell when Jaehwan quickly pull her away.

 

“Hyung! You don’t have to go to work today! We still have to clean up the café and fix the door and everything – just have a good rest okay!!”

 

Jaehwan and Eri walked together to the café silently.

 

“You know, you’re too harsh on him”

 

“He deserves it” Eri said coldly.

 

“I know you’re angry but just cut him some slack will you? He’s been doing everything for you all these years. Maybe the only reason why he’s hiding things from us is to protect you”

 

Eri bit her lower lip hard. “I think I hate him for caring too much”

 

“You don’t mean that”

 

“I do. I don’t feel this way before the accident. Every time he treated me really well, I feel a sudden surge of hatred towards him. I feel mad – angry – really angry that I want him to disappear”

 

“Are you still blaming yourself?”

 

“I can’t avoid it even if I want to”

 

“Try harder”

 

“Why don’t you ask yourself the same question? If someone you love dies because of you, would you have forgiven yourself then?”

 

A vision of Eri’s dead body lying motionless in front of him entered his mind.

 

“If you die, I don’t think I’ll be able to live anymore” he muttered unintentionally.

 

Eri had heard that. Her steps were put into a halt out of shock.

 

“Wh – why would you feel that?”

 

Jaehwan who had just begun to realize that he had made a mistake was stunned. He starts thinking really fast. Fortunately for him, someone’s voice was distracting Eri’s attention. They looked ahead to find a guy looking at them with a straight face. He approached the two without leaving his glance from Jaehwan.

 

“Taekwoon-ah!”

 

“Why aren’t you in your house?” Taekwoon asked slowly. He was still looking at Jaehwan with a serious expression. The latter was trying his best to avoid his gaze.

 

“I had something to do. I thought you said you weren’t going to be back till next two weeks?”

 

He turned to Eri. “It ended earlier than I expected”

 

“I see”

 

“What happened to the café?”

 

“I don’t know. Hakyeon won’t tell me. Listen Taekwon-ah, I –”

 

“– who is this?” Taekwoon interrupted looking at Jaehwan again.

 

Jaehwan who panicked exchange glances with Eri.

 

“This – this is my friend – Lee Jaehwan” Eri introduced him.

 

“Hi – my name is Lee Jaehwan. Nice to meet you”

 

Jaehwan offered a hand but Taekwoon pretended like he didn’t see him and turned to Eri instead.

 

“You look different”

 

“How – how so?”

 

Taekwoon scrutinized her face with deep concentration as though x-raying her.

 

“You can look into my eyes now. You never do that”

 

Eri blinked confusingly. “Re – really?”

 

Taekwoon nodded gently and gave her a really heartwarming smile. “I’m glad”

 

Eri smiled back at him. Taekwoon placed a hand on her right cheek softly.

 

“I didn’t know you could smile”

 

Jaehwan felt awkward just standing there while the two were talking. He tried walking away but Taekwoon grabbed his wrist on time.

 

“We’ll go together” he said.

 

“O – Okay then”

 

The three made their way to the café in silence. Taekwoon was quiet along the way. He doesn’t seem to be the type to talk longer than 10 seconds. Jaehwan wondered if Eri likes him. He wasn’t sure about her feelings for Taekwoon and never bothers to ask her about it.

 

They had to put the ‘closed’ sign again at the front gate. Taekwoon helped them clean the garden. Eri was in charge to replace the broken windows, doors, chairs and tables. She locked herself in Hakyeon’s office making several calls leaving Jaehwan with no choice but to stay in the same area alone with Taekwoon. He tried not to make eye contact with him but Taekwoon kept on showing the impression that he wants to talk. After several attempts of avoiding him, Jaehwan found himself cornered by Taekwoon in the kitchen. The situation felt like dejavu. It was the same feeling he had when Hakyeon was confronting him the first time they met.

 

“Ye – yes? What do you want?” Jaehwan said nervously.

 

“How do you know Eri?” Taekwoon asked.

 

“It’s a ve~~~ ry long story believe me. You don’t want to know that”

 

“Oh I do want to know that believe me”

 

Jaehwan gulped. This guy is scary, he thought.

 

“Uhm – well you see, Eri – she – uhh – saved me from – uhh – from –”

 

“From what?”

 

“– from a – a su – suicide attempt” Jaehwan said anxiously.

 

It was another awkward silence between the two. Taekwoon gave him a very odd expression as though trying to read his mind. Jaehwan waited for a response but received none since Taekwoon seemed to be lost in a very deep thought. Finally, he looked straight into Jaehwan’s eyes so quick making the poor guy flinched slightly.

 

“I believe you”

 

“Okay…”

 

“If her friend already put his trust on you, I have no other worries”

 

Jaehwan assumed he was talking about Hakyeon. “Ah – thanks”

 

“But I will still keep my eyes on you” said Taekwoon intimidatingly. “If I caught you hurting her – I’ll kill you”

 

Jaehwan could feel his heart began to hammer against his chest, he felt as if Taekwoon’s piercing gaze was stabbing him like a knife.

 

“I live with her!”

 

He didn’t know why he had to disclose that piece of information out. All he knows is that if he didn’t, Taekwoon would find him in the middle of the night with an axe.

 

“You – what?” Taekwoon said slowly taking a step forward. Jaehwan was frozen to his feet like a monument.

 

“We’ve been living together for two and half months already”

 

Both of them looked back in an instant. Eri was standing with her arms crossed giving Jaehwan a reassuring smile.

 

“I’m sorry for hiding this from you but he needed a place to stay. I just thought that you didn’t need to be bothered by it”

 

Taekwoon was baffled but remained composed as usual. He shrugged and went away as though nothing had just happened in the kitchen.

 

“Kiddo…” he mumbled; ruffling her hair along the way.

 

“Are you okay? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost” Eri asked.

 

“More like a psychopath” Jaehwan muttered.

 

Eri chuckled and hit his head lightly. “Yah - Taekwoon is a nice guy. He’s just – well, different.  But that doesn’t make him bad. Don’t misunderstand him. It’s people like Hakyeon who never give him a chance”

 

Jaehwan nodded. “I know but he could’ve – I dunno – been a less scary?”

 

“It might take some time for you two to get along though. I wouldn’t bet on it” Eri shrugged.

 

“Eri?”

 

“Yup?”

 

This is it - it’s now or never, thought Jaehwan.

 

“Do you love this guy?”

 

Eri didn’t expect that kind of question. “Why do you want to know?”

 

“Just answer me please”

 

Brace yourself Jaehwan. She’s going to say yes. Deal with it. He’s her boyfriend after all. You just need to pretend that you’re okay.

 

“No”

 

“I see – I understand – I’m sorry for asking – I just – ”

 

“Are you listening? I said no”

 

Jaehwan didn’t understand, as if his brain short-circuited and needed to be rebooted. His mouth dropped open slightly and he stared in disbelief.

 

“You’re okay there?”

 

Jaehwan floundered for words, anything or something to express the shock that surged through him, but nothing came. Eri sensing that he wasn’t acting normal approached him with gentle steps. It was only after a while that he noticed Eri’s unblinking eyes staring into his, her expression hardened as though trying to read his mind. Jaehwan took a step backward away from her.

 

“What are you doing?” he asked.

 

“Nothing. Can you clean the toilet?

 

Without giving her any answer, Jaehwan nodded and rushed past her. Eri was lost in thought. She remembered waking up to someone talking last night and was surprised to see Jaehwan sitting down on the floor just beside her couch. He was leaning against the wall, his hand just inches from hers making it seem like he was holding it the whole time.

 

The noise was coming from Jaehwan. He was talking clearly in his sleep, not the kind that mutters unintelligible words, but as though he really was talking to someone in his dream.

 

“No… no… no… I’m sorry…no .…”

 

“Is he starting to remember something? Who was he apologizing to? Why was he apologizing in the first place?” Eri mumbled, biting her nails in the process.

 

She accidentally bit her finger so hard that she cursed. The fact that Jaehwan could have been holding her hand last night bothers her but at the same time she felt a different kind feeling, a strange feeling she never had before. A vision of Hongbin sleeping beside her with their hands interlocking with each other came into her mind. Unaware that she has been the hand she suspects to be the one Jaehwan held before, Eri shook her head in disagreement.

 

“No, he said he only likes me as a friend. I’m going to believe him” Eri concluded. It was better that way but she couldn’t help but to feel angry about it. “Why are they so much alike?”

 

Strangely, Taekwoon hasn’t been asking Eri anything more about Jaehwan and she wasn’t planning to tell him anything at all. Their relationship was really awkward to be called lovers. Eri’s confession about how she felt towards Taekwoon added more confusion into Jaehwan’s already-messed-up head.

 

Hakyeon called once or twice to check on them. He annoyed Eri for making her feel like he couldn’t trust her with the café. Since she’s used to ignoring his calls by now, Eri would just leave the phone ringing on the table until he stops calling.

 

Jaehwan was in charge of tidying up the flowers. Since Hakyeon had reminded him before leaving to make a special space just for the blue rose bouquet, Jaehwan was forced to make one reluctantly. He arranged the blue roses that were thrown away tidily on an empty corner of the café where it can be seen by everyone who went inside. He was working quietly until Taekwoon tapped him on the back suddenly.

 

“Did Hakyeon buy them?”

 

Jaehwan gritted his teeth.

 

“No”

 

“Then who?”

 

“I don’t know”

 

Taekwoon stared at the flowers with his usual silent gaze again.

 

“Do you really have to ponder that long just for a flower?” Jaehwan asked, rolling his eyes in irritation. Taekwoon doesn’t seem to look threatening anymore after he found out that Eri didn’t love him.

 

“Are they for Eri?”

 

“How would I know?” Jaehwan lied.

 

“So they are for her but who sent them?” Taekwoon deduced silently.

 

“I don’t know” said Jaehwan silently, hands still busy with the flowers.

 

“Hongbin”

 

Jaehwan’s eyes widened.

 

“Why would you think it’s him? He doesn’t even know that Eri’s here”

 

“Who do you think it is?” Taekwoon asked; wanting to know if Jaehwan was hiding something.

 

“Well it could be that Sanghyuk guy”

 

Taekwoon froze up, his face went slack and mouth slightly open. His body unmoving and the color were draining from his face as he stares wide-eyed at something Jaehwan couldn’t see.

 

“Did you say – Sanghyuk?”

 

“Yeah, it’s the guy who kept calling her. I sneaked a glance of her phone when she’s not watching. That’s how I got his name” Jaehwan said in his a-matter-of-fact tone. “Do you know him?”

 

“That’s impossible. Why would he call her?”

 

“How in the world would I know that? But he never listens to Eri telling him to stop calling. I tried asking her about him but we end up fighting so I stopped”

 

“You don’t know who Sanghyuk is, do you?” Taekwoon asked carefully.

 

“Again – how would I know that? Even Eri doesn’t”

 

“You’re sure about that?”

 

“Yeah, it’s a prank call from a stranger! How could she have known him?”

 

He knows her for sure” Taekwoon said softly.

 

“What are you guys talking about?”

 

Eri materialized behind them, arms crossed as usual; giving them a curious look. Taekwoon maintained his composure while Jaehwan who was quite the opposite gasped loudly, sending the flowers in his hand flying.

 

“Eri-yah, is someone bothering you lately?” Taekwoon asked.

 

“I don’t think so”

 

“What about Sanghyuk?”

 

 “It’s nothing”

 

Jaehwan silently tip-toe his way from them but Taekwoon grabbed him by the collar without even looking at him. He was still looking at Eri with a concerned face.

 

“You’re sure about that?” Taekwoon asked.

 

“Hakyeon knows him so there’s nothing for you to worry about. I don’t know who he is but I’m going to force Hakyeon to tell me”

 

“Do you want me to track this guy?”

 

“Please don’t do that Taekwoon. You know what; you’ve been here for too long. Go home and take some rest”

 

Taekwoon took a deep breath, picked up his bag and went home. Jaehwan was quite baffled when Taekwoon just listen to Eri’s request without any complaint.

 

“Wow, he really listens to you doesn’t he?”

 

“Taekwoon always listens but he knows when to leave me alone. He’s just like Hakyeon, it’s just that Hakyeon is more persuasive and involved”

 

“How did you two meet?”

 

“We met in a mart I was working at last year. I was still staying with Hakyeon that time but I couldn’t just live there for free so I took the job. It was my second week there and I already made a huge chaos. One night, a guy went inside and tried to pull me out of the mart with force. He said he likes me and that I should be with him. I couldn’t fight him since he was much bigger than me. I thought of calling Hakyeon but he threw my cell phone to the wall. Then I saw Taekwoon in front of us. He was just staring at the guy without any expression. The guy shouted at him to move but he just kept looking. I was thrown to the side and the guy lunged at Taekwoon with his fist. It was so fast so I couldn’t remember anything much. After a while, I saw the guy lying on the street, completely unconscious. I remember feeling really scared of Taekwoon. I just ran away from him as far as possible without even thanking him”

 

“You heard from Hakyeon already why I wanted him to be my boyfriend. I wanted to use him as a tool to punish myself. I met him one day on my way to the mart and I just ask him right away. He accepted me without any question. It was really weird but I didn’t seem to care for anything else at that moment. Taekwoon asked me to stay in his house the next day. I was afraid but I was the one coming up with the plan so I had to just go with it. He treated me really nice – never like how I had imagined him to be. This went on for several weeks until I got mad at him. I asked him why he was so nice to me. He said it’s because I looked sad and lost so he wanted to help”

 

“I told him everything about what happened to me. He listened and understood me more than anyone else. I was surprised when he told me that he’s okay with my plan to use him – as long as I don’t hurt myself anymore. His sincerity was what helped me to move on. He was like a big brother. We’re not actually lovers. I lied to Hakyeon because I want him to stay away from me but obviously that failed. Hakyeon nearly killed Taekwoon when he thought that I was dating a dangerous guy if I didn’t stop him. When I told Hakyeon that Taekwoon has never laid a finger on me, he refuses to believe it but nevertheless, he didn’t make a trip to Taekwoon’s house anymore”

 

“So you never loved him?” Jaehwan asked.

 

“We’re just friends”

 

"What about me? Do you love me?”

 

Jaehwan looked into her eyes, desperately seeking for the answer he want most. After knowing that Eri has no deep feelings for Taekwoon, he could not waste another time. He wanted Eri to know how he feels about her.

 

“Jaehwan-ah…”

 

"Eri, to be honest – I’ve been thinking about this for a long time. I think I –”

 

“Stop”

 

Eri turned away; not wishing to hear the word she feared would come out from Jaehwan’s mouth.

 

“Let’s just go home and continue tomorrow” Eri suggested.

 

“Eri, I –”

 

“You didn’t say anything and I didn’t hear anything. Just leave it at that”

 

“If you don’t like me just say so” Jaehwan said slowly.

 

Eri didn’t know what to do. She couldn’t just say no to him seeing how he had used all his courage just to confess. Jaehwan was waiting an answer behind her but she couldn’t muster her energy to turn around and look at him properly. What should she say to him?

 

All of a sudden, her body was turned around forcefully, Jaehwan’s hands gripped her shoulders tightly pulling her towards him, and just like that their lips met each other. Jaehwan released her quickly before she could push him back. It was just a light peck but Jaehwan could feel himself blushing madly.

 

“Wh – what did you just do” Eri stuttered. She was turning red as well.

 

“I like you” Jaehwan mumbled shyly.

 

Eri was stunned; her cheeks scorched with embarrassment as Jaehwan cautiously touched her hand. She quickly pulled her hand away, uncomfortable by his action. She was so stunned by the unexpected confession from Jaehwan that she was lost for words.

 

“I’ll give you some time to think. You don’t have to give me an answer now. I just want you to know how I feel” Jaehwan admitted.

 

He left her alone in the café and continue cleaning the garden. Eri plopped her head on the table furiously. She felt like something had been draining her energy after the shock she just received. Eri began talking to herself.

 

“Do I like him? I don’t even know how I feel. Why would he like me? Maybe he misunderstood the feeling of gratitude as love? Should I tell him this? What if he demands an answer from me? I don’t have the heart to reject him but I still need to give him an answer right? Or should I just ignore him? But I can’t do that! We live together – I can’t just pretend like he’s not there when he’s there! What should I do?”

 

The sound of her cell phone vibrating startled her. Assuming that it was Hakyeon again, Eri picked up the call.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Eri, stay away from him”

 

It was Sanghyuk. Eri rolled her eyes again as though it has becoming a habit every time he calls.

 

“Who?”

 

“Lee Jaehwan”

 

“Why should I listen to you?”

 

“I know he likes you. Don’t let him in – keep a distance from him as far as possible. It’s for your own good”

 

“And you think I’m just going to listen to some stranger’s advice?”

 

“Listen to me please! The two of you won’t have a good ending. You will get hurt in the end and so is he. Trust me on this please”

 

“Explain more and I’ll do what you want me to”

 

Sanghyuk hesitated once more. “It’s not the time for you to know”

 

Eri was going to lose her temper so she tried controlling her voice.

 

“How did you know Hakyeon? Don’t tell me it’s not the time for me to know this as well”

 

“It is – not the time”

 

“Oh f*** you! I’m going to block all your calls from now on!”

 

“You won’t”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“You won’t because you’re still curious. I know you too well Eri”

 

Eri hang up, cursing loudly on top of her voice. She turned her phone off and went to the kitchen and gobbled down scoop after scoop of ice-creams in rage.

 

 

To be continued…

 

 

/gets bricked by everyone/ sorry... just decided to update on hongbin's birthday.