The Sweet Smell of Apple Pie

They Don't Know About Us

Chapter 2

The Sweet Smell of Apple Pie

(Kei's POV)

---

I really thought that this day would be just one of those plain, normal days. Who would have thought that I will be standing here, in this place with a silly smile on my face, all because of that Apple Pie.

It all started that noon. We, Hey Say JUMP just finished rehearsing for our upcoming concert. We decided to take a break first perhaps have our lunch and so we proceeded to the cafeteria where some juniors as well as our seniors were having their lunch.

Hey Say 7 immediately made their way to the food counter while BEST fixed our table. We connected three tables for us to fit. Of course the ten of us won't fit a small four seated table right?

After the arrangement we went to the counter to get our food.

"Owaaah! I'm so full. But I wanna eat more. Ah! I want an apple pie!!" Hikaru exclaimed as he leaned back his chair while rubbing his tummy.

"Me too." Unconsciously I exclaimed.

"Me three!" Keito followed my remarks.

"Now that you mention it, I want some too!" Ryosuke said, doing the same gesture that Hikaru was doing.

"Ah! I know this place that sells good pastries!" Takaki exclaimed, reaching for his wallet. It has always amaze me how Takaki knows a lot of places.

“Not to mention, it’s just a few blocks away.” Takaki took out a small flier from his wallet.

‘Azalea’s’ it read. The flier was a simple lavender shade paper. It has pictures of good looking pastries on the left while the details about the shop were on the right side of the paper. Around it was a border of flowers, maybe it’s Azalea. Well I do know that Azalea was a name of a flower. It was indeed very elegant and girly.

“Hmmm… I wonder who will be nice enough to buy for all of us.” Kouta grinned as he looked around the table. Almost immediately everyone shook their head.

“Oh come on! The pie won’t walk here by itself!” Takaki waved the flier in front of everyone on us.

“But it’s really bothersome.” Yuto whined and made a face.

“We just finished eating. I’m too lazy to move around.” Chinen added, doing something weird with his eyes.

“Fine fine I’ll buy it! BUT someone should come with me.” Takaki retorted, this time giving each one of us a sharp look. Well in all honesty I’m okay coming with him but this is just too fun to miss. I always enjoy whenever the group has to make a decision because we always tend to come up with silly reasons just to defend our side.

“Aaah… Aaaah… My stomach hurts. I don’t think I can walk.” Daiki made a face of ‘pain’.

“Fine then, you won’t get any since I think your stomach won’t be able to take any more food.” Takaki shot Daiki with a look. Daiki was just about to argue but decided not to, instead he just pouted.

The next five minutes has been like that. I stepped up, well our break will be over soon and if none of us will leave at this moment, there will surely me no pie for anyone.

“Hey! Hey! How about we settle this with spin of the bottle, whoever will be pointed shall not argue and just go with Takaki.” I exclaimed, raising my almost empty bottle of water. All of us pushed all our trays aside and settled the bottle in the middle of the table. I spin the bottle and 9 of us waited for it to stop.

“Well, genius I guess it’s you!” Kouta exclaimed, grinning at me like an idiot.

“As what you just said, no one will argue!” Hikaru snickered as I rolled my eyes. Oh well, might as well take a little walk. The guys were nice enough to clean up our tray so we can leave right away.

“Inoo-chan! Can you buy me strawberry shortcake if they have any?” Ryosuke didn’t miss to add up his favorite strawberries.

“Fine.” I exclaimed.

----

 

And now that is why I stand here in front of this pastry shop. And the reason for this silly smile I have on was the girl inside. Who would have thought I’ll see her again? Honestly I secretly hope to see her again but I didn’t expect it to be this soon.

“Oi! Inoo?!” I saw a hand waving in front of me, oh right I was with Takaki. He was staring directly at me. I put an arm on his shoulder and guided him inside.

“What’s up with you?” He asked again, still with the curious stare.

“Nothing, let’s go.” I exclaimed as I opened the door.

The bell rang as we entered. All of the staff greeted us a warm smile, including her but quickly she entered a door behind the counter probably that's the kitchen. Surprisingly our disguises didn’t seem attract much attention. Everyone inside the pastry shop didn’t even bother to give us a glance. Takaki and I went directly at the counter. The cashier finally recognized us. It was funny how she just stared at me like I was a ghost. I furrowed my brows as I look at Takaki, why wasn’t I the only one given with such look?

As if reading my mind Takaki said, “Well, I’m a regular here. I’m actually the owner’s friend.” He said. Eh?! Then she’s friends with “her”?

“Hey, earth to Misa. Please breath.” Takaki leaned towards the counter and lightly poke the forehead of the girl in front of us.

“Ah! Yes! May I take your order?” She finally snapped back to reality. Misa also torn her gaze away from me and looked at Takaki.

“Finally, 2 apple pies please. Tell Yui that I want the newly baked and 1 slice of strawberry shortcake right Inoo?”He said as he gave her a winked. Did he just say her name? Then he’s really close with her. I pouted with the thought, but why? I asked myself. I should stop over-thinking things.

“Oi. Did I get that right?” Takaki frowned at me. Oh right I need to reply.

“Yes.”

“Aish. My friend here has been acting so weird since we got here.” Takaki rested his elbow and stared at me. I simply denied it by waving both my hands but he seemed to be not convinced by it and just shrugged and turned to Misa. Misa only giggled in reply.

“Oh! Hi my ever so demanding friend” Someone came out from the door behind the counter. It appeared it was Yui. She was wearing a white chef jacket and an apron. She held two trays of pastries in which Misa immediately helped in carrying.

“Chiyo can you help us with these?” Another girl approached them, who didn’t fail to give us a smile as well. She grabbed one of the trays and proceeded in refilling the baskets in the display area. Misa on the other hand slapped Takaki’s forehead and made him stand properly again, she then put the other tray on the counter where the smell of the newly baked croissant lingered around my nose.

Suddenly our eyes met, for a moment I swore I saw her shocked face but in a blink it turned into a warm smile so I smiled dumbly.

Takaki gave her a short glance then look back at me. He smirked upon seeing my expression, was I too obvious? He turned to Yui again and gestured her to come closer, he whispered something to her that made her hit him.

“I was joking. Don’t worry I will never tell.” Takaki exclaimed as he chuckled.

“By the way, the way you look at each other it appears to me that you already met before?” Takaki suspiciously gave both of us a look.

“You thought I won’t notice huh?” He added again. We both thought for a second.

“You met him before?” Misa exclaimed, accusingly looked at her friend.

“Well, we met last week. In the onsen, I promised him that I won’t tell anyone so I didn’t.” Yui explained, she let go of a sigh and turned away.

“You didn’t even tell your oldest friend?!” Misa drastically exclaimed.

“I promised. Anyway, ignore her. What’s your order again?” Yui said as she pushed her friend away from the counter.

“I’m surprised that you still trust Misa with the cashier.” Takaki said, giving the now pouting Misa.

“Well, that’s the only job she can do.” Yui chuckled and received a light push from Misa.

“Anyway, 2 apple pies and 1 slice of strawberry shortcake” Takaki said. Yui went back to the kitchen while Misa grabbed a slice of shortcake from the cake displays.

“So you met.” Takaki simply said. While I nodded, the less I talk the less I will make a fool of myself right?

“Hmmm… surprised to see her again?” Takaki asked. I lifted an eyebrow at him, why is he so curious?

“Why are you so curious?” I asked him. But instead of answering me he just shrugged.

A few moments later, Yui finally came out with two boxes of apple pie. Takaki was just about to say something when Yui exclaimed.

“Don’t worry, it took long because I made sure to serve you the newly baked ones.” She smiled at us and passed one box to each of us.

“Thanks.” I was able to say when she handed one box to me.

“No problem. Enjoy them alright?” She said to me and fortunately I managed to smile.

“Let’s go back?” Takaki gave me a light nudge. It was enough for me to know what he really meant.

As soon as we exited the shop, Takaki didn’t miss a beat to ask me.

“What was that?” He asked.

“What do you mean?”

“I see how you look at her.” I really don’t know what to answer since I’m not aware of how I was acting back there.

“Well, how do I look at her?” I asked.

“You’re hopeless.” That’s the only answer I heard from him. Since that we didn’t talk about it again.

By the end of the day, only one question lingered around my head.

‘How did I look at her?’

Whatever the answer for that question I only want one thing—it’s to get another glance of her…

I want to see her again.

-----

Surprisingly I decided to update, I just finished this a little while ago. Hence, I didn't actually read it.

So forgive for any mistakes I have done. :)) I'm so sleepy right now... 

English is not my first language so please do bear with me. HIHIHI.

Anyway, please do leave me a comment if I actually have any reader other there. :))

Yui~ dea!

09-10-13