Chapter 9

The Wish Your Heart Made

"I can't believe the two of you would surprise us like that!"

 

Kai's mother's voice was barely audible from the living room, as she was in the kitchen literally cooking up a storm, and that competed with the television, and Monggu, Kai's other dog, barking as he tried to get attention from Haejin. Haejin was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, continuously asking Mrs. Kim if she needed help. Eunjung was watching television, and Kai was attempting to calm down his other two dogs, who were both jumping on him.

 

Kai looked up and toward the kitchen, flicking his hair to get it out of his eyes.

 

"Love you, umma," he cooed. Mrs. Kim looked at her son and made a face at him, to which Kai began to laugh at, as he walked over to the couch in the living room, and flopped down upon it.

 

"Yeah, yeah," she retorted teasingly, before she waved a hand at Haejin for her to go away. "You're hovering, sweetie; I've got this, you go talk to Eunjung or something." As she watched Haejin sigh and walk away toward the couch, she added, "I'm surprised Haejin wasn't the one to bust you in your little scandal-- Don't give me that look! I KNOW it was your idea, Jongie." Hearing the three of them laugh, she smiled contentedly.

 

"She actually took part in it this time," Kai replied, watching Haejin walk over to sit beside him on the couch, and he draped an arm over her shoulders as she sat beside him.

 

"I'm very shocked," Mrs. Kim responded in disbelief. Haejin looked at Kai accusingly.

 

"Snitch," she sneered, gently elbowing him in the ribs. Kai only winked, before leaning in to kiss her temple quickly. Haejin smiled, but rolled her eyes and chuckled. Eunjung, who was sitting in the rocking chair across the room, her legs pretzeled, began to laugh as well.

 

"Maybe they really are becoming one," she speculated. Haejin laughed even harder, waving her hands in embarrassment. Kai only smiled deviously.

 

"It's not like that," Haejin reassured in-between giggles. Eunjung only smiled more, before fixing her gaze on Kai and beginning to rock back and forth in her chair.

"You know what that means, when a couple begins to share the same brain? You know what that means, Jongie-Jong?"

 

Kai made a face at the pet name, wrinkling his nose, before shaking his head. 

 

"No I don't, Eunnie. Care to enlighten me?"

 

Eunjung was distracted for a moment, as Jjangah begged to be in her lap. She picked up the tiny dog, placing her in the hole her legs made, before looking at the two of them with sparkling eyes.

 

"They get married."

 

Kai choked on his own spit. Haejin flinched backwards, and stared at Eunjung with wide eyes. Kai was coughing for a few seconds.

 

"Are you okay?" Mrs. Kim called from the kitchen. 

 

"Y-yeahI'm fine," Kai managed to get out. 

 

"Unnie!" Haejin gaped at Eunjung, who merely shrugged and grinned. Kai, who managed to catch his breath, also stared at his older sister.

 

"What?" Eunjung looked at the two of them, still smiling. "You know, I'm surprised you two are engaged yet, or making babies--"

 

"Eunjung!" Kai cut her off, as a blush creeped over his and Haejin's faces. Eunjung only began to laugh.

 

"Eunjung, stop harassing them, and come help me with the rice!" Upon hearing Mrs. Kim call her, Eunjung sighed, but looked at the couple on the couch.

"Just saying," she chirped, before picking up Jjangah and putting her down, and heading to the kitchen.

 

Haejin and Kai sat in silence, not looking at the other. Haejin felt her face, and knew it was completely red, judging by how hot it felt. She bit her lip.

 

Married..?

 

Haejin swallowed hard, before slowly turning her head to look at Kai. He was just as red as she was, and he had a sheepish smile on his face. They made eye contact, and Haejin couldn't help but begin to laugh, to which Kai did as well to shake off the embarassed and awkward vibe.

 

Once the giggling faded, though, Kai's arm had made its way to Haejin's waist and he had pulled her a little closer. Haejin could feel it as his grip tightened a little. She looked up at Kai, only to find him smiling down at her. His eyes were soft. She blinked up at him, puzzled, before she saw him wink.

 

He winked.

 

A wink. Haejin's breath hitched, and her eyes widened and she looked at him in a confused way, before she began to blush as Kai studied her face.

 

"J-Jongin," she stammered. Kai only smiled more.

 

"You're so adorable." He leaned in, kissing her gently, albeit slightly playfully as it was quick. Before she could respond to the kiss, he pulled away and grinned down at her. Haejin stared back.

 

Suddenly, the front door opened, causing the two of them to look toward the door. A woman entered, and seemed out of breath.

 

"Phew," she breathed. "Anyone home?"

 

"Noona!" Kai grinned and nodded toward the woman. She looked down at Kai, before her eyes got wide and she grinned.

 

"Jonginnie-- HAEJIN!" The woman dropped the two bags she was holding, and practically leaped over the couch to hug the both of them.

 

"Hi, unnie!" Haejin embraced Kai's older sister, Chohee, while pretending to act like she wasn't getting suffocated by the older girl.

 

"I didn't know you guys were home!!" Chohee pulled away from the two of them and studied them both.

 

"Neither did we." Eunjung appeared from the kitchen, a bag of chips in hand. She leaned nonchalantly against the doorframe, full of chips. "Join the club."

 

"Welcome home, Chohee-- Eunjung, get back in here and put those away! Dinner will be ready soon," Mrs. Kim ordered. Eunjung rolled her eyes and grinned, before disppearing into the kitchen again. Chohee shook her head in disapproval at her younger sister, before turning to Haejin and Kai.

 

"So, how have you two been? I feel like I don't know either of you anymore because we've lost contact!" Chohee pouted.

 

Kai and Haejin sighed, before both stating, "Busy," to which Chohee rolled her eyes. 

 

"Well, I know that! I see you on the big screen all the time," she replied, referring to her brother. Kai smiled slightly.

 

"Congratulations on your 'Wolf' wins, by the way," she patted her brother on the back, and Kai laughed.

 

"Thanks noona." Suddenly, he began to look around, a puzzled look on his face.

 

"What's wrong?" Kai looked at his sister, before pointing outside.

 

"Did you bring someone with you?"

 

Chohee looked at him confusedly, before gasping. "Oh no! I forgot that oppa was still out there!"

 

Upon hearing this, Kai groaned. "No, noona, you didn't bring HIM, did you?"

 

Chohee looked at her brother as if he were crazy. "Of course I would bring him! Why wouldn't I?"

 

At that moment, the door opened, and a man with several bags appeared. He let out a sigh, before saying sarcastically, "Don't worry, yeobo, I've got it."

 

"Honey! Look who's home??" The man looked over the bags, before realizing why his fiance had decided to not help him carry in groceries.

 

"Oh! Hi, guys! Good to see you!" He nodded toward them, to which Haejin bowed toward, and Kai merely nodded slightly. He then went to the kitchen to give the groceries to Mrs. Kim.

 

Kai groaned. "You brought the ball-and-chain?" 

 

Haejin and Chohee glared at him. "Jongin, be nice to Hyunsung-oppa," Haejin warned. Kai only sighed.

 

"You can do better, noona," Kai whispered. Chohee rolled her eyes.

 

"My mind still hasn't changed, Jongin," she replied simply. 

 

"You still have time to change your mind," Kai coaxed. Chohee pushed him gently.

 

"Stop. He makes me happy."

 

Haejin watched them bicker quietly, and shook her head. Kai was very protective of his sisters, and wanted the best for them, but it had been several years since he had met Hyunsung, and he still didn't trust the older boy as far as he could throw him. Kai had good intentions, but was overprotective of them to the point where there would be arguments like this.

 

"Everyone! Dinner's ready!" That stopped the argument, and Chohee and Kai sighed. Chohee got up, ruffling Kai's hair as she walked past, to which Kai scoffed and fixed it, before he looked over at Haejin. Seeing her glare, he mumbled a half-sincere apology, before getting up and helping her up as well. Together, they walked to the kitchen.

 

He meant well, but sometimes it was just too much.

 

divider.png

 

 ~*~Author's Note~*~

 

Aaaand another update out! This one was pretty fast, right? I don't know what came over me; I sat down, and three hours later, this thing came out. But I love writing this fic; so many feels!!!!

 

Aaaand now I must go stretch because my back hurts and I can't feel my .... aaaand that's too much information... Aaaand I'm saying "aaaand" a lot. 

Yep. I'm outtie.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you soon, lovelies!