Side Chapter: The Deer Spirit

Icebound
 
 
 
Year 1017
 
Luhan was three years old. He was still a young doe. A mammal. Nothing special yet. He haven't even grown his antlers yet. Just an animal with four legs, a stubby tail, and his bright doe eyes.
 
He still remembers the day vividly as if it was yesterday.
 
The young Luhan was grazing on a lush green field, enjoying the sweetness of the grass he was chewing onto, while his older brothers played around beside him. He was never one to play such rough games with his brothers, especially when his brothers already got their antlers, which are sharp, strong, and dangerous. 
 
His parents were enjoying a drink at the cooling spring which is about a mile down the murky road, away from the fields. Luhan's mother had asked the brothers to wait for them at the fields for their to return, before they move on to another lush green land to graze on. 
 
Luhan was basking in the morning sun, enjoying the breeze, inhaling the fresh crisp air when it happened.
 
First, he smelled  the scent of blood being carried by the wind he inhaled. He looked at his brothers who stopped playing as they caught on the scent too. 
 
What happened next was all in a bizarre.
 
"Run! Run my children, run for your lives!" Luhan heard as he saw his mother galloping towards them at high speed.
 
Behind her, a group of men mounted on horses were chasing after them, with spears in their hands. His mother was wounded. Blood seeping through some of her wounds as she ran towards her children. Luhan felt horror as he saw that the men were dragging a carcass of his father's limp body. Luhan turned and ran. 
 
"Ah!" Luhan heard his mother gave out a cry. He shouldn't have, but he turned around and saw a spear impaling his mother's neck, killing her almost instantly.
 
The three year old almost gave up running at the sight of that. If it wasn't for his brother, he would have also died then and there.
 
His brothers urged him on as they ran into a forested area. The trees lush and green, tall and strong. Luhan ran on ahead of his brothers as his brothers protected him from behind. However, he was galloping too slowly as he wasn't fully grown yet.
 
His brothers could have survived, if not for the sake of protecting him. One by one, he heard his brothers die under the vicious spears of the horrifying monsters known as humans.
 
Soon, he was cornered into a valley by the men. The men were speaking primitive gibberish on how well they are going to feast on venison that day, and how tender would the three years old's meat taste like.
 
Luhan was on the brink of tears when a miracle happened.
 
"Ahhhhhh!" one of the man shouted as he was hoisted into the air by some unknown forces. All the human's eyes widened in fear as they looked everywhere for signs of what could have done that.
 
"Who is there?!" the man that Luhan figured to be the leader of the pack shouted. 
 
"Don't you find yourselves embarrassing bullying a small innocent young deer?" A melodious voice sounded out, resonating throughout the place. 
 
Luhan looked up, and saw an angel descending. 
 
Or at least what he thought as an angel.
 
The creature that slowly floated down from the skies is of the utmost beauty.
 
"And who are you?" The leader challenged. The creature stood in front of Luhan before spreading his nine white tails gracefully.
 
"I am your worst nightmare."
 
What happened next was all in a blur. Luhan heard screams one moment, felt pain the next, and the next were the sound of lifeless bodies thudding to the ground.
 
And soon, Luhan out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Luhan slowly stirred from his sleep as he heard voices all around him. 
 
"You're finally awake!" A voice said cheerfully. Luhan opened his eyes. He blinked his doe eyes a few times before he is truly awake. Before him was the beautiful one.
 
"I am Do Kyungsoo, and I am your spirit guide!" The creature named Kyungsoo spoke. Luhan blinked his eyes again. Kyungsoo chuckled.
 
"You must be in a state of shock right now. I mean, I was too, when I died." Kyungsoo said. Luhan widened his eyes.
 
"Am I...dead?" Luhan asked slowly. Kyungsoo shrugged.
 
"Well...technically yes..I'm terribly sorry, I tried to save you, but the hunter's spear went right through your gut, and before I could heal you, you're already dead. But if it makes you feel any better, I am also dead. Or was, dead." Kyungsoo said in a bored tone. Luhan looked shocked. Seeing his expression, Kyungsoo let out a laugh.
 
"No, I'm not a ghost. I'm just a three hundred and seventy-nine years old fox spirit,  assigned by the Great One to bring young pure souls from the mortal realm to his Meadows to meditate and train so that they could become like me too." Kyungsoo answered Luhan's unanswered question. 
 
Luhan nodded as he slowly thread the grass. It felt nice and warm. And it smelled sweet too.
 
"I am going to leave you here now, as this is where the Great One will meet you. I'm sure he will love you and train you well!" Kyungsoo smiled sweetly.
 
Luhan looked at Kyungsoo. He don't want Kyungsoo to leave, but he knows that he has other duties.
 
"Kyungsoo. I'll remember you, my savior forever." Luhan smiled at Kyungsoo's retreating back.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1627
 
"Luhan! Hurry come, something big is happening!" A young ward called out as Luhan was meditating under a waterfall. Luhan was six hundred and thirteen years old that year, and he already had acquired his human form.
 
"What is it?" Luhan asked.
 
"A spirit is leaving the Meadows for good to return to the mortal world once more!" 
 
No other words are needed. Luhan immediately dashed to the edge of the meadows. As he reached there, he saw that many other spirits already gathered there.
 
"Are you sure that you want to leave the Meadows?" The voice of the Great One spoke in all his grace and gentleness. The spirit that is leaving bowed gracefully.
 
"Yes, my father. I am nine hundred and eighty-nine years old this year, and I'm gaining my immortality soon, and I hope to be able to use my powers to help the people in the mortal world." 
 
Luhan peeped through the sea of people to see Kyungsoo standing there, in his beautiful spirit form, with his nine white tails spread out gracefully behind him. It's been six hundred and ten years since Kyungsoo rescued him. And it's been since they had talked to each other.
 
"You do know that once you leave, and abandoned your duties as a spirit guide,  you could never return again, right?" The Great One asked sadly. 
 
"Yes I know the terms and conditions my father." Kyungsoo bowed once more. The Great One let out a sigh.
 
"If it is your wish, then go ahead. You will be missed." The Great One said sadly. 
 
"Thank you father. I will remember your teaching forever." 
 
With that, Kyungsoo slowly dissolved into a ray of light, and slowly disappeared as he was sent to the mortal world. All the spirits bowed down in respect to Do Kyungsoo, the spirit that helped many of them transit to the spirit world.
 
"We will meet again, Kyungsoo sunbaenim." Luhan whispered as the last of Kyungsoo dissipated.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1629
 
"You, a six hundred and fifteen year old deer spirit, wants to go to the mortal world." The Great One said. 
 
"Yes my lord. I wish to use my powers to help the people." Luhan bowed. 
 
He couldn't believe that he is now in the same position as Kyungsoo was, two years ago. Everyone is watching him in due respect and with awe, as he stood at the edge of the meadow in his spirit form, a human body, but antlers protruding from his head.
 
"But you have yet to reach a thousand, and meaning that you have yet to gain your immortality. Are you sure you want to do this?" The Great One asked.
 
"Yes father." Luhan kept his head bowed. His antlers, now full and strong, raking the ground slightly.
 
"Once you've abandoned the Meadows, you can never return again. And you have yet to gain, or close to gaining your immortality, meaning that you can die. And if you die on the mortal plains, you do know that your existence would just simply vanish, and that you can never ever reincarnate. Are you sure that you want to do this?"
 
"Yes my father. I am sure." Luhan said.
 
"If that is your wish, then so be it. May all the best wishes be with you." The Great One said sadly as he is about to let go of another of his aces. 
 
Luhan stood up and smiled.
 
"Thank you father. Thank you, everyone." 
 
Light enveloped Luhan as he went to the mortal world.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1632
 
It's been three years since Luhan came to the mortal world. 
 
When he first came to earth, he could feel the warmth of Kyungsoo's spiritual lingerings on earth that he had missed. Also he had heard news of a powerful nine-tailed fox spirit working for the greatest sorcerer on earth. And Luhan instantly knew that the fox spirit must be Kyungsoo. He feels so proud of his sunbaenim. Thus, in order to meet Kyungsoo again, Luhan decided to work under a famous spell crafter that works for Kai, the sorcerer that Kyungsoo is currently working for. He had searched high and low and after three years, he finally found the right person.
 
"So, what do you know about spells?" The sorceress asked while facing her crystal ball. Luhan smiled sheepishly.
 
"I...actually I..."
 
"You know nothing about spells?" The sorceress tilted her head up from the crystal ball and looked at Luhan. Luhan felt an odd sensation swept through him.
 
"I do know some basic-"
 
"You know nothing about spells." The sorceress concluded, looking back into her crystal ball. Luhan raised his brows.
 
"How-"
 
"I've used a spiritual energy check spell on you."
 
"Oh-"
 
"But you're hired."
 
"Wait- what?!" Luhan exclaimed. The sorceress looked up from her crystal ball once more. 
 
"I've said, you. Are. Hired." The sorceress said as she took steps towards the demon. Luhan felt exhilarated.
 
"Why?" Luhan asked in a soft voice. The sorceress just shrugged.
 
"You seemed like a pretty kind spirit, and you not knowing anything about spells is good, as it means that I can teach you from the very basics, and it'd mean that you would have no bad habits that I have to correct for you. And also, you are a deer spirit, meaning that it would be very easy for you to get connected to the nature which is the main source of energy for our magic." The sorceress said. Luhan nodded.
 
"You can call me Luna." The sorceress turned her back on Luhan. 
 
"Training starts now. Go memorize the notes on how to start the fire with a spell."
 
"Yes madam!" Luhan smiled.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1640
 
Luhan has been training under Luna for eight years now. He had never once told the sorceress about his intention of coming to Earth. Luhan still yearns to see Kyungsoo, his savior, mentor, and his most favourite person on this universe. 
 
The six hundred and twenty-six year old deer spirit has yet to see even the shadow of his sunbaenim yet.
 
He had been training day and night in the pentagon-shaped interior of Luna's spell room, learning new spells after new spells. He is pretty much an excellent spell casting spirit by then. 
 
Luna had been very busy lately. She had been assigned by Kai to craft a spell that can help him trap anything, and everything, to the ends of the world. It seems like Kai has been pretty desperate about the spell too. Luhan's heart often ache when he saw that his mistress is being overworked by the oh-so-great sorcerer. 
 
"Here Luna, have a cup of rosemary tea to help you relax." Luhan smiled as he passes the cup to Luna. Luna beamed.
 
"I knew it was right to hire you eight years ago." Luna sipped on the tea. 
 
"What is this spell that you are working on?" Luhan asked as he took a peep on Luna's spell book. Luna immediately slammed the book shut causing Luhan to jump. Luna gave Luhan a side glance.
 
"You know the rules my boy, these things are sacred arts. If you try to learn them without enough experience, you could die easily from exhaustion or spiritual infliction." Luna said seriously. Luhan bowed.
 
"Yes, I understand," Luhan said apologetically, "but I just wanted to help. I can't stand seeing you this tired." Luna's expression softened.
 
"Alright then. I just need an idea to get started on the spell that the annoying tyrant is asking me to work on." 
 
"What sort of spell?" Luhan asked, with his huge doe eyes. 
 
"An entombment spell that can last forever." Luna said. 
 
"Entombment?" Luhan asked again.
 
"Yes. As in trapping, ensnaring, with no possible ways to escape at all. Even the strongest spirit, immortal or not."
 
Luhan froze. The spell sounds awful. Imagine a spell trapping one for all eternity. And if the being is an immortal, it would mean that the immortal would suffer a fate worst than death.
 
"Hey, I've asked you to help me on this one, not freeze up on me." Luna snapped her fingers in front of Luhan, making Luhan snap back to reality. 
 
"Wait a minute." Luna said suddenly. She quickly turned back to her spell book.
 
"Freeze. Freeze up. Freezing." Luna murmured. Luhan frowned. He knows the state that Luna is right now.
 
"I'll be taking my leave now." Luhan said softly, trying not to break Luna from her concentration. He knows that once Luna got her inspiration on something, it will be hard to stop her. So he left the room quietly.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1641
 
"Pythonissam ignis" Luhan chanted as he closed his eyes and drew a pentagram in the air. 
 
"Delandé!" A blue ball of fire crackled from his palm and shot out, hitting a rock and causing it to explode. 
 
Claps could be heard.
 
Luhan turned around and faced Luna.
 
"Congratulations, you've mastered the witch fire spell. No doubt you are my apprentice." Luna beamed at Luhan. Luhan smiled.
 
"Thank you mistress." Luhan bowed. Suddenly, another set of claps could be heard. Both of them turned to the sound, and saw the smirking figure of Kai in his lustrous robe. 
 
"Bravo young one." Kai said. Luna frowned.
 
"What brings you here?" Luna asked. Kai shot a look at Luhan. 
 
"I'll excuse myself." Luhan bowed to both of them before making his way out.
 
Luhan was curious. Thus, instead of heading back to his own room, he had stayed around to listen in on what the two sorcerers are discussing about.
 
"Abscondet faciem meam." Luhan whispered the spell to cloak his presence.
 
"Is he gone?" He heard Kai say.
 
"Homenum revilios." Luna muttered. The two of them stayed silent for awhile.
 
"Yes, he's gone." Luna said.
 
"Good. Now, about that spell." Kai said softly. Luna sighed.
 
"I'm working on it." Luna replied.
 
"I've given you a year. And you are still working on it?"
 
"Yeah? It's a difficult spell you know. I have completed it already, I just need to refine it a little bit more. Plus, the spell takes a toll on everyone, especially the caster. You may even die!"
 
"But I need it now. He is getting stronger everyday! He is a threat to me now."
 
Luhan heard that everything fell silent for a moment. Who is getting stronger everyday? 
 
"Alright. I'll give you the instructions to the spell now. But if anything went wrong, blame it on yourself."
 
"Fine."
 
"Here goes. I won't repeat it twice, if you got it wrong, it's your problem." Luna said haughtily.
 
"For the spell to work, a massive blood sacrifice must happen. The more powerful the blood sacrifice, the stronger the spell. And it can only be casted on the night of the Wind Moon, which is already over for this year, so you can only cast the spell next year."
 
Luhan froze as he heard Luna speak in such low and dangerous voice. It is black magic. Really really dark and evil magic. He had learnt that blood sacrifices does not only mean sacrificing one's physical, but also the soul, to the darker spirits for power.
 
"After the sacrifice, you will feel a rush of power as you are temporarily cut off from the power from the nature, and you would be able to tap into the darker magic of the dark spirits."
 
Luhan shivered, but he eavesdrop on.
 
"After you got connected with the darker spirits, you would need to stop his beating heart first. Then, the rest is up to you. The spell I crafted comes from the inspiration of freezing one thing.  You would have to use all of your concentration and trap that being in the ice."
 
Luhan hear a ripping of pages of paper.
 
"Here is the incantation to the spell. Chant these and the rest is up to the manifestation of your will. You craft your own spell with your mind. I want nothing to do with it." Luna said shakily. 
 
"Thank you my dearest acquaintance." Luhan heard Kai spoke. 
 
"There is one more thing." Luna said hesitantly. 
 
"What is it?" Kai asked.
 
What Luhan heard next sent shivers down his spine.
 
"You have to be careful with the spell. It can consume you, drive you crazy inwards. And it is addictive. The dark spirits will toy with your soul, and break you as they slowly eat you up from inside. Just.....be careful with it." Luna said.
 
"I will."
 
Luhan dashed from the scene, back into his room. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That night, Luna walked into Luhan's room. Luhan felt a dip in his bed as Luna sat down.
 
"How much of it have you heard?" Luna asked. Luhan sat up.
 
"How-"
 
"I always knows." Luna smiled. Luhan scratched his head awkwardly.
 
"All of it." Luhan said. Luna sighed.
 
"I'm sorry to expose you to all these. Dark magic has always been around. I didn't teach them to you as I don't want to taint your innocent soul." Luna said regretfully.
 
"Did you cast them before?" Luhan asked. 
 
"A few times."
 
"When?" Luhan blinked. 
 
"There's this once, I've stopped the heart of a vampiric demoness that was eating up a town."
 
"But you've did it on a good cause." Luhan protested.
 
"I know. But there were consequences." Luna said softly. Luhan cocked his head to the right, looking at Luna questioningly.
 
"For magic, there always needs to be balance. You want to revive someone, you have to kill someone for the power to do the resurrection spell." Luna explained.
 
"And in order to stop the demoness's heart, I have to stop a human heart." 
 
Luhan looked at Luna. Luna looked regretful.
 
"Sometimes I really wish that I am just a normal human being. I mean, I am just thirty-three this year, but I have so much responsibilities!" Luna whined. Luhan chuckled.
 
"You'll get through this. I'll be here to help you." Luhan assured.
 
"I'm so glad I've hired you," Luna smiled, " so I am going to let you in on a little secret."
 
"What is it?" Luhan blinked his doe eyes. Luna smiled.
 
"The dark spell I've crafted for Kai, there is a loophole."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 1642
 
Luhan rushed into the cavernous interior of Luna's home. 
 
"Where are you?!" Luhan shouted. His voice reverberated through the caverns. 
 
He is angry. 
 
He did not witness it, but he can feel it.
 
Kyungsoo's spiritual lingering can no longer be felt on the mortal plains. It is impossible for him to die, and there is no way for Kyungsoo to return to the Meadows. Thus there could only be one reason for that. 
 
And the reason is Kai.
 
"I am here." A tired voice sounded. Luhan turned and saw Luna sitting on her high chair with her face in her hands.
 
"Why?" Luhan asked as his voice cracked as tears started to well up in his eyes.
 
"I knew this day would come." Luna said sadly. 
 
"You knew that Kai wanted the spell to trap Kyungsoo. You know what Kyungsoo is to me. Why?!" Luhan screamed. Although Luhan had never once told Luna about Kyungsoo, but being the all-knowing one, Luna always knew.
 
"I'm sorry." Luna said. Luhan shook his head.
 
"It is useless. Release him. NOW!" Luhan shouted once more. 
 
"I can't. It is not my spell-"
 
"You are the one that crafted it!"
 
"Yes, but I did not cast it, and the Radiant Ones are all killed in the blood sacrifice as Kai found out about the loophole-
 
"LIES!" Luhan shouted. 
 
"Lulu, if you would just calm down-"
 
"Don't call me that!" Luna winced from the harshness of Luhan's voice.
 
"From this day on. You are not my mistress anymore." Luhan shouted. 
 
"Luhan please-"
 
Luna was cut off by Luhan suddenly appearing in front of her, and his hand on as Luhan effortlessly lifted Luna off her seat.
 
"I will kill every single sorcerer, sorceress, man, woman, or child, until I find a way to release him. And I am going to start with you." Luhan said with tears streaming down his face. 
 
Luna gave him a weak smile as if saying "go ahead". The guilt must be eating Luna on her inside as she had not meant for anyone to suffer a fate worth than death by a spell that she has crafted. 
 
Luhan had not blinked as he snapped Luna's head like a twig.
 
Dropping Luna's lifeless body aside, Luhan stepped over and proclaimed Luna's precious spell book that took her whole life to compile and craft. Within it, stored precious spells, both dark and neutral spells, waiting for Luhan to master.
 
Then, he set the house on fire.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Year 2013
 
Three hundred and seventy-one years have passed. 
 
Luhan was still studying from the same spell book, decades after decades, meditating deep in the mountain, while trying to scry for Kyungsoo's location, but failing terribly. 
 
Once or twice, he felt Kyungsoo's spiritual lingering, but he could not place his location. Until one day.
 
Luhan felt Kyungsoo's spiritual lingering wavering as he followed it closely. He came to the front of a dilapidated house with a white cat wailing in front of it. 
 
Kyungsoo is in the house. He must be. 
 
Luhan felt excited suddenly. He is going to meet his favourite sunbaenim again after nine hundred and ninety-six years! Hopefully he would be able to speak to him again. 
 
Luhan heard the door slammed open as he saw the white cat slowly made its way into the house. Luhan frowned.
 
Then, he saw the cat stomp it's feet, causing everything around it to freeze.
 
"What is that?" Luhan thought as he slowly stalked up to the cat. He saw that inside the house, Kyungsoo is trying to hold out his aura to prevent the cat from freezing him.
 
"That cat must be the manifestation of Kai's spell!" Luhan thought angrily. Without hesitation, Luhan attacked.
 
"Argentum gehénnam!" Luhan shot a silver ball of hellfire at the cat and watched as it slowly melted. 
 
He then looked up and saw Kyungsoo looking him with a lifeless expression. Kyungsoo looked like a puppet without a tinge of emotion. Luhan couldn't hear Kyungsoo's heart beat, then he remembered that Luna had said that the first step of the spell before the freezing is to stop his heart.
 
"It must be the spell." Luhan thought.
 
"Who are you?" Kyungsoo asked. Luhan's heart sank a bit as Kyungsoo had forgotten him. But, this is the first time Kyungsoo is seeing him in his human form after all. Besides, Kyungsoo had helped thousands of spirits in the past, and it's been nine hundred and ninety-six years. There's no surprise that Kyungsoo forgotten him. 
 
"M-my name is Luhan." Luhan smiled.
 
.....
 
.....
 
.....
 
...
 
...
 
...
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
A Cup of Sunshine
 
So....here's a chapter on Luhan for those who are confused! Mwahahahahahahaha no baeksoo yet~ be patient as the next chapter is gonna be just baeksoo and only baeksoo....maybe? HAHAHAHA
 
I have dropped tons of hints in this chapter regarding on how is Baek able to release Soo..did you catch it? Heheheheh *wink wink* even if you didn't! it will be revealed soon mwahahahhaa
 
Please do forgive me on all my grammatical/vocabulary error >_< do comment and tell me what you think of the story so far >_< I felt like I could use some as I need to improve myself as this is my first time ever writing fantasy fic after all D: 
 
I love you guys! Love all of you subscribers :3 till next time! Peace out! [^w^]¥