J as in jealousy

J as in jealousy

It was just a show.

 

That’s what he tried to remind himself all day, but for the life of him he just couldn’t see it that way.

 

As he sat and watched the episode finally air, Jonghyun found himself on edge.

 

The way Kibum was more flustered around Eunji made his heart clinch. His smile was so natural and happy, it baffled him. And Eunji, Eunji. He couldn’t blame the girl for any of it - no. She was too sweet, the total sweetheart in Apink. He had no right to blame her but he just couldn’t help it.

 

Sure, Kibum forgot about her a bit in the viking ride, but the way he held on to her in the other ride was something to glare at.

 

Jonghyun has always been the jealous type. Time and time again he’s had to remind himself that no one could take his Kibummie away from him, but times like this he doubted himself. He doubted he could bring a smile like that to Kibum’s face, even though he’s done it so many times. He doubts that he'd be able to take Kibum to an amusement park and freely hold his hand without Kibum being so damn cautious of cameras.

 

He wanted to.

 

He wanted to take Kibum on official dates and hold his hand with no repercussions. Without anyone immediately thinking “oh, its just skinship!”, “haha! They’re like brothers!”, and “Aww, Jonghyun is taking his best friend out again!” because it’s not. Kibum was more than a best friend and they both knew that.

 

But to the rest of the world that’s all it was and if Jonghyun didn’t do something he was afraid Kibum might start to think of it as that, too.

 

So, he didn’t finish watching the rest of “We got married.”

 

He got up and left the dorm, in hopes of going for a walk and maybe getting some fresh air to clear his mind.

 

But he didn’t expect to stop in front of a flower shop.

 

He didn’t expect to walk right on in and buy the prettiest bouquet of roses in the store, (and he could almost hear the scandals the next day about “Kim Jonghyun, buying roses for a mystery lover!?” But that didn’t matter. It wasn’t a mystery who he loved.) and he surely didn’t expect to go into the next store and buy chocolates that he knew damn well they couldn’t eat.

 

Cliche Jonghyun, he thought to himself, very cliche.

 

The boy checked the time before heading home. He had an hour. An hour to think of a good excuse as to why he bought Kibum all of this. An hour before Kibum would come crashing through the front door bragging about something he bought, or how he saw an old friend.

 

Jonghyun ran.

 

Running past the people that recognized him and almost past the dorm itself.

 

He chuckled at his own mistake and made his way inside, not really expecting anyone to be home.

 

“Hey hyung, who are those for?”

 

Boy was he wrong.

 

Taemin took a step closer and reached for the bouquet, only to have Jonghyun snatch them back and glare at the boy.

 

“Mind your own business, Tae. What are you doing home?” The silver-haired male asked, looking around checking for the others.

 

“I came home early with Key. Why?”

 

Jonghyun froze. “What?”

 

“Um,” The younger boy took a seat back on the couch and picked up his game controller he once had, “I asked “why”?”

 

“No, what did you say before that?” He asked, mentally debating on whether or not he should leave the living room and risk ruining Kibum’s surprise.

 

Taemin shot Jonghyun a confused look, “I said I came home with Key..?”

 

“Is he here? Like, in the dorm?”

 

The younger boy narrowed his eyes at his hyung’s strange behavior and nodded slowly. “Yes hyung, he’s in the dorm. Probably in his room. Why?”

 

“Dang it , why didn’t you say something earlier, Taemin!?” He whispered frantically looking around for a place to put his gifts. “You have to help me! He could come in here any minute!”

 

“What are you even talking about?”

 

“Taemin, shh!! He could hear you!” The elder’s pleading whispers now louder than before and the boy seemed to get the message.

 

A knowing and somewhat devious grin made its way onto Taemin’s face as he stood from the couch, crossing his arms and standing a few inches taller than Jonghyun. “Those are for Key hyung, aren’t they?”

 

Jonghyun looked like a deer caught in headlights and the boy knew he was right.

 

“So they are for Ke-”

 

“Shut up.”

 

Taemin’s grin grew wider and he took a step forward. “Why did you buy him this stuff, hyung? Did something happe-”

 

“Taemin, I said shut up.” Jonghyun said sharply, but the younger boy could practically see the panic in his eyes.

 

“Something did! you’re being so defensive! Hah, I bet you-”

 

“Oh, my god, Taemin just shu-”

 

“How about both of you shut the hell up and let me enjoy my nap.”

 

Both heads snapped to the hallway to see a very sleepy Kibum glaring back at them.

 

Jonghyun physically paled and Taemin stood back to watch the show - smile never faltering.

 

“Kibum hyung! Jonghyun has something for you.” It couldn’t hurt to get the show started, could it? Jonghyun might kill him for it later, but the entertainment would be worth it.

 

The eldest had a mind to just turn around and strangle the boy, but he had bigger issues in front of him. He still hadn’t thought of a reason to tell Kibum why he bought the things.

 

“Jonghyun.. Are those for me?” The blond curiously asked, feline eyes scanning over the gifts.

 

“Um,” He stuttered before nodding and quickly handing the gifts to him.

 

Looking at both the items in curiosity, now fully awake, Kibum bit his lip slightly before looking back at Jonghyun, “..Why?”

 

The silver haired male gave a shrug he tried to pass as nonchalant, but came out forced.

 

“I don’t know. I was out and saw them, I guess.”

 

Kibum gave him a small knowing smile, as he held the roses closer, “You know how I feel about liars, Jjong.”

 

Jonghyun gave a frustrated sigh and rubbed the back of his neck, avoided eye contact with the blond at all costs. “I mean.. I guess it’s just that..” He sighed again in frustration and looked Kibum in the eyes. Speaking before his confidence died again. “It’s because it looked like you were having so much fun with Eunji, and I just..”

 

“You were jealous of Eunji!?” A certain -- forgotten-- maknae yelled through his laugher, making Jonghyun’s cheeks flush a darker shade of pink (But that could be a bit of anger..) and clench his fists.

 

“Yah, Taemin go play your stupid game or something. We’re having a conversation.” The blond spoke calmly and eyes narrowing to an intimidating glare when Taemin didn’t move.

 

The youngest put his hands up in a mock surrender,  “Fine, fine, okay. I’m leaving.” And left the two to sit back on the couch and resume his game.

 

Kibum turned his attention back to the shorter male and urged him to continue.

 

He couldn’t bring himself to meet feline boy’s gaze, but he did pick up where he left off.

 

“As I was saying.. I just didn’t want you to get bored of what we have and probably think I’m not as fun as she was. I don’t know. I just.. don’t want that to happen.”

 

Jonghyun expected quite a few things to happen and he should have known better.

 

He expected Kibum to at least say something along the lines of ‘oh Jonghyun! that’s so sweet and thoughtful of you!’ or maybe something more realistic like ‘you should have gotten me the yellow roses’. But what he did not expect was for Kibum to flat out laugh at him. Not a “haha, jjong you’re so silly” laugh, but an all out ‘help-I’ve-fallen-and-I-can’t-get-up’ Kim Kibum laugh.

 

To say Jonghyun’s pride was hurt would be an understatement, but he did his best not to let it show as he waited for an explanation from the blond.. when he finally got back on his feet.

 

“Jjong, you’re such an idiot.”

 

Again, not what he expected.

 

“Excuse me?” He asked, now offended.

 

Kibum only leaned forward to peck him on the lips before pulling him into a hug. “How could she possibly compare to you, Jjong? I had a bit of fun with her, and all the flirting we did was for the show. I thought you of all people would know that?”

 

“I..” He couldn’t bring himself to say anything, so with a smile smile gracing itself onto his lips, Jonghyun pulled Kibum closer by the waist and hugged him tighter.

 

“And besides,” The blond started again, pulling back to look Jonghyun in the eyes. “I don’t ever think she'd do something this cheesy for me.”

 

Jonghyun laughed as he pressed his lips to Kibum’s slowly. “That’s a good thing, right?”

 

“Sure..” The feline boy rolled his eyes and spoke in a sarcastic tone, before leaning forward again, kissing him deeply.


“Hyungs, get a room! Oh my god..”