Meeting Jihwan

Iced Love

The alarm clock rang. Sooyun woke up yawning and looked at the callendar. It was the first day of school. Same school, probably same teachers. Nothing was going to change. She is already in her second year of high school. If it wasn't for her friends and cousin she would probably be all by herself at school. But it wasn't time for her to think about that. It was time to get up and wake up her cousin. Since they were in the same class again they decided to start living in the same house.

"Hyemi, wake up. We need to go to school."

"Hmm...?" still half asleep she asked "What did you say?"

"Hyemi-yah, school, remember? We said we'd meet up with Injun and Hana, remember? Or do you want to leave your boyfriend alone?"

She quickly got up and ran to the bathroom whcich made Sooyun laugh.

"I knew if I mentioned Injun she would get up."

Sooyun also took a bath after Hyemi and wore her uniform, as Hyemi also did. They picked up their backpacks and left their to go to the cafe near school, where Injun and Hana were already waiting for the two cousins.

"You're late." Injun said holding Hyemi's hand and pecked her lips.

"They're always late. You already know that." Hana hugged her bestfriend.

"Well, today you can blame Hyemi! She would get up!"

Sooyun was hit in the arm by her cousin and everyone started laughing.

They ate breakfast and went to school. Just like last year Injun and Hana were in a different class from the two cousins.

All of them went to their homeroom.

When Hyemi and Sooyun were about to sit down next to each other, Sooyun noticed Hyunchul was all by himself again.

"He always sits by himself. Just let him be." Hyemi told her.

They sat down, the bell rang and their vocal teacher entered the classroom.

"Quiet please." Mr. Woo said and looked at Hyunchul who was already with his head layed down. "Park Hyunchul lift your head and pay attention please." Hyunchul didn't even move a inch. "Well, it looks like I'm going to need to sit someone next to you like last year. Anyone volunteers themselves?"

Sooyun stood up and sat next to Hyunchul.

"Yah, Park Hyunchul!" she shook him. "Wake up and pay attention to Mr. Woo or I'm going to punch you." she whispered in his ear.

Though they were never friends they've known each other since they were in kindergarten and as cute as Sooyun can be Hyunchul was really scared of her. He didn't know why.

Hyunchul's eyes shot open and he lift his head as soon as he saw who had said that to him. He got up and bowed apologizing to Mr. Woo. Sooyun smirked and went back to her seat when Mr. Woo said: "Lee Sooyun-sshi, why don't you sit next to Park Hyunchul. Last year Kang Minhee wasn't able to put some sense into his head but it looks like he does what you tell him to. So what do you think?"

She sighed. "Fine." Sooyun grabbed her backpack and sat next to Hyunchul.

Like always Hyunchul didn't say a word. They just paied attention to the teachers.

 

Two weeks passed and nothing different from the usual happened. But that day was going to be different.

After saying goodbye to Hana and Injun, the two cousins went to their class. Sooyun was about to yell Hyunchul's name and when she noticed he wasn't there yet.

"Weird. He's usually here by now." she said.

"Maybe he's late. Either way, why do you care?"

"It's not like I care. I was just wondering."

The bell rang and Mr. Woo entered the classroom.

"Good morning. Before we start today's class I need to tell you something. First, like every year, we are going on a trip to Tokyo for the next week." the class turned into a mess when everyone started screaming "Quiet! And second, we have a new student in this class." Mr. Woo looked at the door. "Come on in and introduce yourself."

A boy with long black hair came in and placed himself in front of the class.

"Hello, my name in Jeon Jihwan but my friends call my Jay. I'm from here, Seoul but when I was 4 I moved to New York. Let's get along well." he said and bowed.

"Very well, Jihwan. Find a empty place for you to sit."

Jihwan looked around only to find two places that were empty: one next to a beautiful girl and the other desk by itself. He decided to sit next to the girl, who happened to be Sooyun.

"Hi." he said.

"Hi I'm Sooyun. I hope we can be frien--"

The door burted open and a panting Hyunchul appeared.

"Sorry I'm late, teacher."

"Let it be. Go to your seat."

Hyunchul started walking to his desk when he noticed that some guy was sitting next to Sooyun and they were both smiling. He walked faster and placed his backpack in front of Jihwan.

"That's my seat. Get out." he said.

"Karam, just let him be. You can sit there." Sooyun said.

"But that's my seat so I'll sit here."

"Hyunchul, just sit there for today and he'll sit there from tomorrow on."

"No."

"Park Hyun--"

"It's okay, Sooyun. I'll just sit somewhere else. He looks possessive about this seat."

And with that he got up and went to the other empty desk.

"Finally." Hyunchul sat down. "Took him time to get out."

Sooyun hit his head.

"Ouch! What was that for?!" he asked rubbing his head.

"Stupid." was all that Sooyun said.

The vocal and dance class passed by quickly and it was time for lunch. Ms. Lee had asked Sooyun to tour Jihwan around school after lunch.

"So Jihwan, I noticed you're a really good dancer. I was amazed!"

"Really?" he asked rubbing the back of his neck "Thanks."

"Anytime. Let's go. I'm hungry!"

On their way to the cafeteria Sooyun spotted her cousin whom had guitar class istead of dance class.

"Hyemi! Wait for us!"

They all went together, chose their lunches and sat where Injun and Hana were waiting.

"Guys, I want you to meet Jay. Jay, this is Hana and Injun."

"Hi." they said.

"Nice to meet you." Jihwan said.

They started eating and chatting but little they knew they were being watched from across the cafeteria.

 

Karam was sitting at a table alone waiting for Suhoon, his best friend, his eyes never leaving the table where Sooyun, her friends and the new guy were. He didn't know why but he was kind of angry.

"Why haven't you started eating, Karam?" a familiar voice asked him.

"Hello, hyung. I'm not that hungry." Hyunchul answered looking at Suhoon.

 

The remaining classes of the day passed and school was soon over.

"I'm tired! I want to go home!" Sooyun said as she, her cousin and Jihwan met up with Hana and Injun.

"Well, you'll have to go without me. I'm going with Injun for a walk." Hyemi said.

"Ohh..." Sooyun pouted and looked at Hana "Bestie, you'll come with me, right?"

"Sorry... but my mom asked me to buy some stuff before going home. And I need to go now. Bye!" Hana waved and left.

"We'll go now too. See you tomorrow, Sooyun. Bye, Jay." Injun said, grabbed Hyemi's hand and they left.

"I guess I'll have to go alone." Sooyun said.

"You know, I can walk you home if you want." Jihwan said smiling at her.

"Really? Thank you! I hate going home all by myself."

On their way to Sooyun's house they talked about Jay's life in New York, where he learnt how to dance and other stuff. When they were only two blocks away from her house she stopped in front of her favorite ice cream shop.

"Do you want an ice cream? I can buy you one if you want." Jay said.

"If you don't really mind." she said blushing "Thank you, Jay."

They entered the shop and Sooyun spotted Hyunchul.

"Hyunchul!" she called.

When he looked up her eyes widened. She ran to him and lifted his chin to take a better look at his face.

"Hyunchul-ah, why do you have bruises and cuts all over your face?"