Chapter 1

"Wrong Princess, Bub."

 

Rumors are stupid, Stephanie thought. Especially when it's about her. As she walked through the hallways, whispers and conversations could be heard. She had no doubt that half of them is about her. The price of being the school's princess is very high, especially when you become the main topic. There are times, when Stephanie can't help but wonder when will everybody just mind their own business?
  "Hey Steph, you're alright?"
  She glanced at her dark haired friend who was giving her the usual worried look. Sometimes she wondered if Rachel ever got tired of being worried too much. The girl always showed concern everytime she got to school this past few days. Stephanie didn't think she looked that horrible in the morning. In fact, the school uniform actually makes her look cute. But knowing her friend, she won't let it go till she gets an answer. The only problem now is, which is the right to answer to give?
  "Fine, why?" Stephanie answered, casually fixing her hair. As one of the very few Americans in a Korean school, she has to look her best, plus she is the school princess.
  "Nothing, you just look tired," Rachel said.
  She was tired. But she thought she had put on enough makeup to hide it. With her hair finally in place, she shut her locker door, turning to her friend, "Homework is very tiring."
  Rachel hummed in reply, as they made their way to class.
  High schools in America and Korea may have a different system, but the rest goes the same. Korean students have to wear uniforms while Americans don't. Plus, the pressure is way higher than Stephanie's previous school. But one of the things that will never change in almost every high schools are cliques. American, Korean, Japanese, British, every high school student belongs in their little groups of friends. It's like some kind of rule, though there are few that venture out.
  "Hey Rach, what are you doing this Saturday?"
  "I thought this Saturday had that festive dance thing," Rachel said, tilting her head, thinking. "Aren't you going?"
  The festive dance 'thing' was the annual School Festival. Just like how her old school has proms and dances, her new school has festivals. Each class was asked to do something to contribute to the celebration. The two girls' class was said to be turned into a cafe.
  "I don't know," Stephanie shrugged. To be honest, she wanted to. She had always enjoyed festivities such as this. But usually her parents would take her back home or sometimes, on one of their business trips. This time, this weekend, they had decided to finally let her join one of the school's many activities. Stephanie was more than excited to go.
  That is until she heard a conversation she wasn't supposed to.
  "So that means we got about twelve waitress, right?" Taehee asked, checking the staff list she made. "Then, six of the girls will be in charge of the stalls. One at the cashier, and two is going around handing out menus and promoting that day. The boys will be helping with the decorations and Jongin's bringing in some table cloths for the tables."
  "Who's doing the main poster?" Sumin asked, eyeing the plate of macaroons nearby.
  "I thought Mrs. Park wanted Stephanie to do it since she's so good at art," Jihee said, snapping her friend out of her daze.
  Taehee scoffed, "That is if she even bothers showing up. That girl is nothing but a spoilt princess. She'd never lift a finger for anyone but herself. What makes you think she'll help us with something as simple as a poster?"
 The other two made a sound of agreement before launching in the discussion of splitting the jobs. None of them wanted the boys to slack off easily.
 None of them noticed a light haired American outside the room, turning to leave.
 "I don't know," Stephanie answered, thinking back to the moment. "I've never been a fan of crowded places."
  "Come on, it'll be fun," Rachel said, smiling brightly at her. "I heard there'll be a masquarade dance."
  "How is that possible?" she asked. "There won't be any class that'd fit the whole student body."
  "They're doing it at the school field," Rachel explained. "I heard it was Howon's idea to fit the whole Disney theme this year."
  "What? They expect Cinderella to stop by," she grinned. "Who will be the Prince Charming waiting for her?"
  "Probably Myungsoo, he is known at The Ice Prince," her friend replied. "So you're coming then?"
  "Maybe," she shrugged. "If I don't have anything else to do." 
 
~~~