It's Raining

Thorns

  Changhyun was staring at Jonghyun who was sitting in front of him with curiosity; the younger boy had been in a really great mood ever since this morning and surprisingly didn’t even try to create trouble. It was weird, something seemed fishy to him. Even though he had always been dubbed as the one who lacks common sense, he is actually good at sensing things about a person.

 

And Jonghyun seemed really weird, at least for today.

 

“Byunghun-hyung, do you realize that Jonghyun seemed a little weird today?” He whispered to the boy sitting beside him as his eyes were staring at the whiteboard so that he would look like he had paid attention to the class since forever, even though he never paid attention on any of it. “You should shut up and pay attention to what Mr. Kang says, you’re disturbing me.” That was the only answer he got from Byunghun.

 

He pouted adorably and looked outside the window, thinking about almost nothing when he remembered something.

 

The last time Jonghyun acted like that was 3 months ago, when he found his first victim for the senior year, Changhyun thought while still looking at the raindrops that was falling down little by little, indicating that it was raining. Oh my God, that means he had found a new target to play with, no wonder he seemed a little controllable today. He thought once again.

 

His trail of thoughts was being interrupted by the shrieking sound of the bell, which means that it was a time for another subject.

 

                                           +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

     “Hyungs, didn’t you guys realized how strange Jonghyun acted today?” Changhyun began the topic he had been dying to talk about since this morning once they were in the canteen, with Jonghyun went to God-knows-where.

 

 The boys looked at him rather curiously, except for Minsoo who was paying attention to his food. “I think he had found a new victim.” Minsoo said as he ate the rice roll that his mother packed for him. Chanhee looked at the oldest for a moment, before tapping his chin, seemed to be thinking about something.

 

Changhyun nodded eagerly as if that was the answer he had been waiting for all these while. He was about to open his mouth to reply to Minsoo when Chanhee beaten him to it. “But I thought he still wanted Hayoung as his so-called girlfriend, that’s why he punched Zitao before, right?”

 

 “Since Zitao is dating Hayoung right now.” Byunghun continued Chanhee’s sentence, like the match made in heaven they were (even though the other boys didn’t even need the continuation because they already knew the whole story).

 

Niel who was the most talkative one of the group only listened attentively to what his hyungs said, getting ready to add his own points as well; when he saw Jonghyun walking inside the canteen and surprisingly, not towards their table, but towards the table 3 tables away from them.

 

“Look, is she his new victim?” He pointed out, making the four heads turned towards the direction he pointed at. They could see how Jonghyun sat across the girl they knew for being a nerd, but an attractive one at that and handed a piece of paper to her while flashing his usual coy smile to her.

 

They thought that he would stand up and walk towards their table after that, but he didn’t. Instead, he tried to begin a conversation with the girl who actually ignored him and only paid attention to the food in front of her.

 

All five of them looked at each other, speechless. “Well, who thought the Choi Jonghyun would actually notice the bookworm Joo Gyeoul?” Minsoo spoke out first among them, with a small smile crept up his lips. Since the start of the school year, there had been many guys who tried to hit on the girl, but apparently books are her boyfriend at the moment.

 

“Wanna bet who will fall in love first? I’m betting on Gyeoul, no one has ever escaped from falling for Jonghyun, not even the ice queen Hayoung, remember?” Niel suddenly proposed a bet, like what they always did whenever Jonghyun found a new target, and he was the one who would always win.

 

Changhyun and Byunghun stared at the girl for a moment before looking at each other, shaking their heads. “We’re betting on Jonghyun. I can feel that this time, Jonghyun will be the one who will fall head over heels for her.” Byunghun stated his answer, with Changhyun continuing, “I am really sure this time. I can feel something unpredictable is going to happen this time.”

 

Minsoo only shook his head looking at the youngins betting on other people’s feelings. He had never once joined them, because in his opinion, feelings can never be predicted. But he too, could feel that what Changhyun said could be right.

 

“I’m going with Niel for this time, can’t you guys see Gyeoul? She’s so clueless about things other than books; she will definitely fall for Jonghyun first. Those kind of girls always fail in resisting a charming person like Jonghyun.” Chanhee remarked, obviously taking Niel’s side.

 

And then came a voice from the person they half-expected it to be.

 

“I’m going with Changhyun and Byunghun. Don’t ask me anything.” Minsoo surprisingly came out of nowhere and went on to join Changhyun-Byunghun team band wagon. Niel who heard that noted that inside his small notebook, then smiled widely with his thumbs up.

 

“Okay, the bet has been set! Chanhee and I will make a lot of money this time~” He continued, earning an eye roll from Byunghun.

 

                                                 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

     The rain seemed to become even heavily by the second, making the students that didn’t bring an umbrella with them sighed in frustration as they waited inside the school’s building. Jonghyun happily took out the umbrella from his bagpack, while reminding himself to thank his sister later. He then walked towards the front of the school lobby, opening his umbrella, when he saw a sight.

 

Hayoung, the so-called ice queen in his school who only took 2 months to fall for him was walking with Zitao, her bestfriend turned current boyfriend in a romantic way; under one umbrella with Zitao trying to protect Hayoung from getting wet by holding her tightly.

 

Jonghyun only rolled his eyes looking at the couple. It wasn’t because he was jealous, heck; he doesn’t even have feelings for Hayoung at all. The couple looked too unreal and cheesy for him, that’s why he felt like he wanted to puke at that moment.

 

As he held the umbrella over his head, he suddenly saw another person just a few meters away from his left looking all worried.

 

He smiled smugly, immediately taking advantage to the chance given to him.

 

“Aren’t you going home?” He started out with a stupid question while flashing his sweet smile at the girl in front of him. From the information given by the other boys, her name is Joo Gyeoul and she’s a straight A+ nerd who only focuses on her books rather than people. Well, I’m gonna change that, he thought arrogantly.

 

Gyeoul only spared him a glance, and back to her front. She wouldn’t even try to answer that kind of idiotic question. The only thing she thought about at the moment was how to get home and what to cook for her younger siblings once she’s at home later.

 

Even when Gyeoul clearly showed that she’s not interested with Jonghyun, the guy still didn’t give up. He had encountered girls like Gyeoul many times before, and he knew that she will not be able to resist him in another two months.

 

“If you want to get home early, I can send you home.” The boy’s offer seemed so tempting to her, since she had contemplated to just go home under the rain so her younger siblings could eat at the right time, and it’s already getting late.

 

Jonghyun stared at the girl who seemed to be thinking about his offer, still flashing his smug smile, thinking that he had won. He scrutinized the girl’s features while he still could, feeling a little surprised at himself. He had never scrutinized his victim’s features more than one time before, and this is really weird. Oh well, maybe it’s because I didn’t get to see her face properly before, he thought in defense.

 

His thoughts died on its own when he realized that a guy had stood behind the girl, tapping her shoulder, making her turned to the guy. “Gyeoul-ah, I’m so sorry but I forgot to tell you that I’ll be walking home with you today.” The guy’s said apologetically, while still catching on his breath.

 

Gyeoul flashed a thankful smile at the guy in front of her before replying, “It’s okay, Yixing. But you’re late, you know.” Then, she turned towards Jonghyun and gave him a one line smile.

 

“Oh, and…. What’s your name again… oh! Jonghyun-sshi, I’m sorry but I can’t accept your offer. Goodbye.” She continued while slightly bowed to him before walking away from the place with Yixing under one umbrella.

 

Jonghyun, on the other hand, only stood there while still holding his umbrella, staring blankly over the scene in front of him as his mind trying to process what is happening. What is Zhang Yixing’s relationship with that girl? Is she a girlfriend to one of Zitao’s friends? He analyzed inside his head, not realizing that Minsoo and Chanhee are standing behind him.

 

“Yah, aren’t you going home?” Chanhee greeted while pushing Jonghyun’s shoulder lightly, making the younger boy jumped a little. He turned to look at Chanhee in a surprised expression as he blinked repeatedly.

 

Minsoo and Chanhee only looked at each other, with their eyebrows furrowed in amazement. “Wow, Jonghyun, what happened to you man?” Minsoo asked in an astonished tone to Jonghyun’s weird action.

 

The younger boy only shook his head and walking away from the two boys as they watched him with furrowed eyebrows.