Beautiful Target

Thorns

It was raining cats and dogs when she stepped right in front of the grave. With an unreadable expression, she went beside the gravestone and squatted beside it. The rain was soaking her clothes, but she didn’t care. There was thunder, and she could see the lightning attacked a tree more than 9 meters away from her, making the tree fell. But she didn’t budge even one bit.

 

“Umma, I miss you.” That was the only sentence she spoke, as she touched the name that was engraved on the gravestone longingly.

 

                                                     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

    Friday. The day where every single students would leap in joy as the last school bell rings, and the day that the students have been waiting for ever since the week started.

 

As soon as the last school bell rang, the students leaped in joy and rushed to walk out from their class cheerfully. But it was not a happy day for Jonghyun and his friends. When the school bell rang, they instinctively put their heads on their respective tables.

 

“Whose fault is that that we ALL have to go to detention altogether? All six of us!” Minsoo, the oldest out of the pack spoke first in an enraged tone. He had never gone to detention even once since he first started the senior year, mostly because he managed to hide his activity from the teachers. But now, he had to join in the detention just because of a simple thing.

 

The other four turned their heads towards Jonghyun, who was looking out of the window with a bored expression. “It was Jonghyun’s fault, hyung. We tried to distract him from punching Zitao, but we failed.” Changhyun, who self-proclaimed himself as the baby of the group (in which he’s actually the second youngest) informed Minsoo in a more like a complaining tone.

 

“His face just makes me wanna punch him. That’s why.” Jonghyun blurted out so freely, like it was a normal thing to say.

 

Minsoo held his own face in frustration when he heard Jonghyun’s answer. “I don’t even know what to do with you anymore.”

 

“Then do nothing.” Jonghyun replied brusquely even before Minsoo managed to finish his own words, making the older felt enraged.

 

Ever since they got into high school, Jonghyun has been really rebellious; he would do what he wants, ignoring the school rules, and he would get into detention every single week. But he seemed like he never cared about his bad reputation in school.

 

The others didn’t seem to find the solution on why Jonghyun has been acting like that ever since the first start of the high school year. They missed the old cute but naughty Jonghyun, not the rebellious, troublemaker Jonghyun they had now.

 

In the detention room, they decided to sit far away from each other. Minsoo and Byunghun decided that it was best to finish their homework during that time, since they got part time jobs after school. While Chanhee, Niel and Changhyun were listening to their MP3, not caring about the world.

 

Jonghyun, who was sitting at the far back slept soundly with his legs placed on the table, with snores coming out once in a while.

 

That was the scene inside the detention room until the discipline teacher stepped inside. The boys stopped doing their thing, except for Jonghyun who was still sleeping soundly. They expected the teacher to give them endless lecture about how manners are important and blah blah blah like they always heard.

 

But instead, the teacher brought another 6 boys with her. “Go take your seats and reflect yourselves!” She screamed, he voice thundering all over the room, making Jonghyun jumped out of shock from his sleep and almost fell from his chair at that exact moment. After that outburst, the teacher stepped outside once again.

 

Just when he was about to enter into dreamland once again, he met eyes with one of the 6 boys, and flashed a smirk at one of the boys. “What’s up, Zitao?” He called out with a tone full of provocation, earning the reaction he had waited for from the boy called Zitao.

 

Before they knew it, Zitao was already face to face with Jonghyun, with him holding the latter by the collar. “You know what, Jonghyun? If I wasn’t civilized enough, I would have beaten you to death right here, right now.” Zitao spoke with so much hatred towards the latter that even people who didn’t even know anything about them would know how much Zitao hated the boy in front of him. “But since I’m a more civilized person than you are, I’m not gonna do that.” He finally said as he released Jonghyun’s collar and stepped towards his chair with a sigh.

 

“What to do with the both of them…” One of the boys who chose to sit beside Minsoo mumbled and then sighed while massaging his temples in worry. “I feel you, Kris. I don’t know either.” Minsoo replied to Kris’s mumble while patting the latter’s back in understanding.

 

The detention finally ended with some bonding session between the oldest of both groups, and never-ending provocation from Jonghyun towards Zitao. But luckily, the latter didn’t even hear anything since he was listening to his mp3 attentively.

 

                                         ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

      It was a peaceful Monday morning with him still fast asleep on his bed, when the sound he hated the most was heard. “Choi Jonghyun, wake up now or I’ll splash you with cold water!!” His older sister’s thundering voice was heard all over the house, the voice that he had always heard in the morning and he hated it.

 

Not that he hated his sister –in fact, he is grateful since his sister was the one who spent time with him the most instead of his parents- but he just hated the loud voice in the early morning. If anything, he hoped that his sister would be gentler in terms of waking him up.

 

In a blink of an eye, he had already finished wearing his school uniform carelessly like he always does; he had never care on how he looked like, anyway. When he sat down on the table digging in the breakfast, his sister walked out of the kitchen and shook her head as usual looking at her brother’s untidy uniform.

 

“Aigoo, I don’t even know what to do with you anymore, Jonghyun-ah.” She remarked as she did every day, and Jonghyun only ignored her, like usual.

 

After they finished eating breakfast, they both did the dishes and stepped out from the house to go to their own destination. “Noona, I’m going to school.” Jonghyun said rather cutely to his sister, and kissed her cheek as he always did before storming off his way to school.

 

The sun was shining so brightly, but it was not as bright as it always does. It seemed like it’s gonna rain soon.  A girl with a long, straight black hair that was tied up into a high ponytail and wearing her school uniform looking like a neat and a brilliant student was walking along the pathway along the rows of houses.

 

She sighed as she read along the small notes on her hand, trying to remember the facts from the notes. “I will not fail this subject.” She muttered once she managed to remember the facts, and she tried again to make sure the facts will stick inside her head.

 

Just then, she bumped shoulders with someone and she fell on her due to the impact. It seemed like the other person was strong, she thought for a while as she looked up to see a tall, handsome guy stood in front of her.

 

Jonghyun only stared at the girl in front of him who was already gotten up by herself, ogling her features. White flawless skin, big doe eyes, chubby cheeks which made her looked even cuter and unexpectedly great body proportions. She’s gorgeous, why haven’t I seen her before? He wondered.

 

“Look, I’m sorry for bumping onto you, and I need to go before I’m late. Goodbye.” The girl informed before storming off to school while looking at her watch, worried expression flashed on her face.

 

A sudden realization hit him; he was running late to school. But then he had never come early to school, so why bother doing so today?

 

When he stepped forward, he noticed that he had stepped onto a piece of paper. Oh, this must belong to that girl. He thought as he scanned what was written on the paper; it was just a boring note on Geography.

 

Just then, he had set his next target.

 

“That girl looked innocent, and she’s a nerd too. She’s the perfect victim.” He muttered to no one in particular, before shoving the paper inside his pocket. A smirk crept up his face, the same smirk he always had whenever he had a new target to play with.