Tears

Please, Don't Leave Me

"Umma!" I hear behind me, which is soon followed with the heavy padding of Alice's feet.

"Hey A-lee," I greet me daughter, as I turn around, scooping her up in my arms.

"Umma! Appa said you made cupcakes, did you make my favorite?" she asked, her brown orbs staring up at me hopefully.

"Of course I did, sweetie," I cooed, turning so she could see the 3 of them lined up on a plate.

"So pretty. Can I have one now?" she asked, smiling and doing a bit of aygeo. Seob's having to much of an influence on her, I thought to myself. I was about to answer, but my husband beat me to it.

"Noooo. You have to eat dinner first," he said, coming up beside my hip and pinching her cheeks. She pouted cutely, trying to beat Yoseob at his own game.

"A-lee, you have to listen to your Appa. He's right, you do need to eat. And stop doing aygeo, you aren't going to beat him as something he does for a living," I scolded gently, kneeling to set her down, "now. What do you want to eat?"

"Bibimbap, without the red pepper paste please," she answered promptly, but paused and asked shyly, "but can Appa make it?"

She and I both knew that Yoseob made bibimbap better, but it was more often that I made it, since he usually came home late. I was better at sweets then home cooking, quite sadly.

"Appa does make it better then Umma, huh?" I agreed, looking past her shoulder at the cupcakes. Alice nodded again, but she had a look on her face, like she was going to cry.

"What? What's wrong!?" I kind of shrieked, worried and freaked out as she starting hiccuping, fat tears rolling down her face.

"I--I-I---I'm--I'm so--," she tried to say, but was soon overcome by the fast paced hiccups. By now Yoseob had rushed her, rubbing her back in soothing circles.

"Shh. Shhh, A-lee, sweetie, what's wrong? Appa and Umma are scared, we don't know what's wrong. Please tell us," he said gently, looking at me questioningly. I just shivered in response. Alice wasn't saying anything back, just kept hiccuping and crying, so Yoseob scooped her up in his arms and carried her out to the living room and sat down with her on the loveseat.

"Shhh. Shhh," he kept repeating, rubbing her back, not minding as his shirt slowly started getting soaked. 

After a few minutes, she calmed down, and leaned back on his lap. I leaned towards her, placing my hands on Yoseob's knees, and kissing the top of her head.

"Oh, sweetie. Tell Umma what's wrong please?" I asked, rubbing her back as well. But what I said only made her cry even more. Another round of crying started again, and Yoseob glared at me, kicking me lightly in the shin. But had Alice saw his small action, and pulled out of his arms, hitting him in the shoulder with her small fist.

"Don't kick, Umma!" she somehow stated firmly, though all her tears.

"Why?" Yoseob asked, shocked that she hit him.

"Because, she already feels bad, don't make her feel worst!" Alice's crying had slowed somewhat.

"Wait. Umma isn't feeling bad. Just worried and scared," I said, pulling her off of her father's lap and into my arms, patting her smooth, black locks.

"But I thought I had offended you," she said, using vocabulary that was well out of her age group.

"How?" I asked, pulling her back so I could look at her face. It was stained with salty tears and bubbles of snot.

"When I asked for Appa to make bibimbap. You were looking past my shoulder with this look on your face," she said, reaching up with small hand, cupping the side of my face, as if she was checking of I was really okay.

"Oh! Oh honey," I cried, hugging her tighter to my chest. After a while, I pulling her back to look at her again. Sighing, I pushed the hair out of her angelic face, and wiped the snot and tears away.

"Honey...Umma wasn't upset at all. Umma, was just think how Appa is better at homecooking," I explained, kissing her.

"Oh...sorry I worried you then," Alice said, not looking at me, the tears forming again.

"No, don't be," I said, gently lifting her chin so she would look at me, "don't be sorry and don't cry anymore. You just misunderstood, that's all."

"Yes. Don't be sweetie," Yoseob added on, as he came towards us, wrapping his arms around my waist and looking over my shoulder at our big-hearted child.

"Cause your like caffeine, nan bamsae jam mot deulgo simjangeun gyesok ttwigo geureodaga tto niga neomu mipgo. Like caffeine meolliharyeogo haedo ijeoboryeogo haedo geureol suga eojjeol suga eobtjanha," Yoseob started to sing a random verse form his solo song, Caffeine, knowing it calmed Alice down a lot. 

"You bad to me, so bad to me, oh girl you like caffeine. You bad to me, so bad to me, so bad to me, yeah," he sang, coming to a stop, "...feeling better?"

"Yes," Alice and I answered in usion.

"Like mother, like daughter," Yoseob laughed, kissing Alice on the head once, and then lean in to kiss me on the cheek.

"I love you both so much," he mumbled, looking at both of us, smiling brightly.