Prologue

1000 Paper Cranes

1000 paper cranes. It is said that anyone who folds 1000 paper cranes will be granted a wish by a crane. It is also said to grant you eternal life or recovery from an illness or injury. Sadako's story inspired her. The girl who tried to make 1000 paper cranes before her death made her eager to also do so. She grabbed a piece of paper at her bedside table. White. She wanted it all to be white. She thought it would look nice if all the paper cranes in her funeral are colored white.

 

With her bony hands, she folded the piece of paper into a paper crane. The thin girl tried her best to avoid mistakes. She made her finishing touches on the paper crane and sighed happily. She held it out in front of her skinny face and smiled. It was her first one yet. 999 more paper cranes to go.

 

She glanced at her arms. They seemed so delicate compared to the paper crane it held. It is probably easier to crush her arms than it is to crush the paper crane. The thought made her smile disappear. It reminded her of the reason of her stay in the hospital. She despised the hospital. It was a depressing place filled with death and pure sadness. Every negative word would probably describe this horrible place.

 

If the making 1000 paper cranes could really grant a wish, she would wish to see the world. She didn't want recovery. Recovery would be hopeless to her, now that the doctors already predicted when she will die. At least, just once, she would like to be given a chance to go outside and be free. This girl wants to see the beautiful side of this world. To be able to run around and lie on the grass happily. She sighed at the thought.

 

 Hyejin placed her paper crane on her bedside table. Later, she would need to ask Miyung to buy strings and beads. She sighed. Making the paper cranes would, at least, give her something to want to accomplish on her last year. Even if it’s just a little, it gave her a will to live, with a goal to complete.

 

 

 

a/n:

That's the prologue. I didn't do any changes here, though, with a few exceptions of some words. But the main point is still the same. I'm not that good in writing yet but I hope you all like it~!