Teaser and Author Rant

Dreams of Flight

 

          The previous season, Yideun was in the colorguard, spinning a sabre. For a guard member to make such a complete 360 degree change into drum major was practically unheard of. Colorguard members were hardly ever in the running for such a position, so when Yoochun and Junsu announced at the banquet, the final, official get-together for the marching band at the end of a season, that Yideun was going to be the new drum major, it was a shock to everybody.

         Yideun was an active member of the music department; she played the violin in orchestra (second chair), the flute in band (fourth chair), played the piano for the drama department and was an active member of the front ensemble for the musicals at Neul Paran. So she wasn’t just pulled from the colorguard one day, told she was the new drum major and had sheet music thrown at her; she had a bright musical background, but it was still an unusual occurance. Members of the general band complained, but neither Junsu nor Yoochun looked like they were going to change their minds.

          Yideun’s friends Hwajae and Haneul had a good musical foundation themselves; Hwajae played the fifth chair violin in the orchestra and front ensemble for musicals, and was learning the cello and French horn. Haneul was a member of the pit her freshman year at Neul Paran, but a single season of Winter Guard converted her to the physical art.

          Many members of the marching band at Neul Paran were like the three; many could play multiple instruments, the one they played for the band being only one of many or a new instrument they were tackling. Many of the musicians were also Winter Guard members, making the transition to flag, rifle, and sabre for the winter season when marching band took a break until the next summer.

          The marching band at Neul Paran is very competitive. The group of 100+ members spends every afternoon after school practicing, either with the whole band, at their sectional, or by themselves at home to perfect their show to get number one at the next competition. Inside the band, it’s a worse competition. Although the organization is like a giant family, it’s a constant audition. Members cannot slack off one bit or the next season they will be booted and someone else who wants their position will be taken. But, members who do not slack are invited back to their positions. The openings for the Neul Paran band are very limited and very coveted.

          Yideun was feeling the pressure.

          Being the new drum major is more pressure than she was expecting when she accepted the position from her band teachers-and-directors. Each day the pressure built more and more; she had to be just as good as Jungsu when he left, or better. And since she was never in a conducting role before, it was more than a little difficult.

          But she was Ha Yideun and Ha Yideun does not give up in hard times. No, she fights on. She will be better than Jungsu, she will be great, and she will lead Neul Paran’s marching band to the championships.

★★★★★★★★

So. Im freaking tired of waiting - im going to close the application, since i dont think im going to get any more, and begin writing the first chapter. Im creating one more character, name unknown at the moment, raising the main (girl) cast up to five - more than enough.

it might be a little bit before the chapter is posted since i also have to plan out the storyboard. so, i hope i get some readers in that time.

on another note, got my Geng Xin CD and DVD in the mail and its simple perfection. to me, Hangeng can do no wrong~every song is brilliant - if you havent gotten the cd or heard the songs, i reccomend it! <3

anyway....