Teaser and Author Rant

Dreams of Flight

          “You’re drum major this year, Yideun-ah,” Hwajae said, tapping her friend’s skinny shoulder as she looked over the sheet music for the upcoming band season. Band camp was in a couple months still, but auditions were in a couple weeks, and Yideun’s first task as drum major was teaching the first movement to the newbies and conducting them through the week. “Are you excited?”

          “Sure,” Yideun said, arms waving as the smaller of the two listened to the music the notes on the paper played for her. Yideun was a small girl, a junior. It was a high honor to be chosen by the director as drum major, since there were plenty of skilled seniors ready and willing to do it.

          After school nowadays, Yideun would retreat to the band room where she would spend hours with Kangta and the assistant directors working on her conducting and voice – as drum major had to yell the instructions from the director and drill instructor to the band, pit, and color guard. Yideun worked hard, and in a couple of weeks it seemed her skills had pared with that of the previous drum major, Jungsu, who graduated last year.

          “Yeah, you have had no time for us, recently,” Haneul half-whined. She was leaning over the shoulders of their mutual friend Hwajae, watching the smallest figure out the music. Haneul had short dark brown hair with a red apple clip just above her left ear. “You practically live here now. Tell Kangta-sonsaengnim, Yoochun and Junsu-sonsaengnim that you’re good enough so you can go out with us tonight.”

          “I can’t,” Yideun said almost monotonously, hands still waving in the air, only dropping one every now and then to change pages. “I have to figure this out.”

          Haneul groaned. “figure what out? You’ve got it down!”

          Yideun sighed, stopping her hands. She brushed her long, light brown hair behind her ears, over her shoulders, and reached for her water bottle, red with the Swiss flag, filled with ice tea. “I’m sorry, guys,” she said as she put the bottle to her lips. “I’m sorry, I really am, but I can’t leave yet. You guys are free to go, especially if you’re going to distract me.”

          With a sigh, the two stood up. “Don’t work yourself too hard, Deun. Tell them if you want to take a break.”

          “I’ll be fine,” Yideun said, taking the sheet music in one hand and beginning to conduct with the other. Her friends sighed and left, the heavy band room door slamming shut behind them.

★★★★★★★★

Ok, thats the first teaser~ i hope you guys like it.

Ha Yideun is my character - i fell in love with the name as i watched the korean drama Beethoven Virus. i love classical music and all that jazz. Haneul and Hwajae are my friends, both of whom better be reading.

I have a lot of stuff in mind for this story, most of it happened to my own marching band whilst i was there. but, for anyone who really knows me, its not a fic (by me) if there isnt some death or sad themes. so, please, dont be mad at me if somehting happens to your favorite. its just a fic. ^^

Also, i havent completely decided yet, but SNSD will be in this, as rivals. inspired by their annoying OH! music video, they will be the majorettes at Neul Paran. their roles will also be inspired by the cheerleaders at my old school (since my old band didnt have majorettes), so, for any fans of them, dont kill me, its a fic.

to BluxYue - OMG I LOVE YOU FOR APPLYING. no one has yet xD you have pretty good chances of getting in.

 

Ok, so Ive talked a lot xD

look out for another teaser - that describes the band and band kids more. i might post it tonight, if not look out for it tomorrow~

 

★★★★★★★★

15.8.2010