1

I'll be perfect, you'll see

Dreams and aspirations are two of the most vital things a person could have for free in life. Whether it be to make the parents proud, the goal of becoming the best musician, the promise to a significant other of playing for her in a school program, all of these drive a person to do his very best and become a better person inside and out.

Lee Sungmin was a typical person with his own set of dreams. He wants to be a successful musician like his parents, he wants to do a mini concert for his lover, Sunkyu, he wants to achieve a lot of medals and give it to his parents and make himself the reason for their smiles.

He was the only child of the musical prodigy, Lee Sunghwan, and the former singer pop star, Kim Hyerin. The two were once the centers of spotlights of their own respective fields so everyone admired them; all through their lifetime, they garnered medals for musical excellence, had multiple platinum awards, received plaques of appreciation for guesting in an international tour. They were also known and accepted to be lovers. No one was really surprised when they announced their ‘secret’ marriage since almost all of Korean media were watching and supporting their every move. Everyone was in anticipation of what’s going to happen so no one was shocked when they fulfilled what was only lacking in what could so others call their perfect love story.

Sungmin was the product of their once bloomed love. He was born 2 years after they got married and since then, he has been taught to be as perfect as his parents thought he can be. He first held an instrument when he was able to curl his fingers when he was less than one, a pink nylon guitar that had been made especially for him by his father with the color chosen by his very perky mom. He learned playing the piano when he was finally able to sit without support and he was able to control the movement of his hands. So at 6, it was no surprise that he was considered a musical prodigy himself; knowing a lot of music pieces by heart and composing simple melodies that can tear or make every listener’s heart.

Nineteen fruitful years after, his parents have long retired from show business and are now residing in a mansion in Busan. He, on the other hand, lived in an apartment his parents bought for him in Seoul as he studied high school. They visit him from time to time, sometimes on Wednesdays every other week or most often during the 3rd day of each month. They bring with them tales of every city they have visited and smiles on their old but still beautiful faces. Sungmin has always been happy to hear them talk about everything while they were away, because it makes him feel a little bit happy, it makes him feel like they have always been there and were never really gone.
 

 


“Have you been going to your tutoring, Sungmin dear?” his mother asked him during one of those Wednesdays when she was preparing his bento as his father was on the phone.

“Yes mom. I actually got straight A’s this semester, hmm, except for Maths, I think the teacher hates me though”, he said as he took a bite of his toast. He saw his mom’s shoulders droop for a moment, and for a second, Sungmin does not know if he should feel guilty or not. After all, he has been raised to become the best of everything so it’s just right to expect him to be one. Except that he isn’t.

“I… I got a B+ though…” he said after a few more seconds of deafening quiet. “I’m sorry mom, maybe it’s my fault. I’ll try harder next semester”. He said and he thought he saw his mother evidently cheer up.

“How about I give you a prize if you get straight A’s next semester? What do you want? A car? The limited new series of your favorite gaming console? I heard they only sell the gold edition to people who have the gold card, and you know how your mom got a lot of connections!” Sungmin looked up from his toast and gazed at his mother’s alluring glance. Her smiling face was a reflection of pure beauty, a symbol of a splendor that never fades and Sungmin felt guiltier since he absolutely had no right to make her sad.

“It’s okay, mom… you need not give me anything, you already gave me everything by just being there.” He smiled. His mother then smiled her best smile at him as she patted his head.

Sungmin knew that he should have been glad that his mother is kind and she smiles often. However, even with all the faux smiles she had offered, Sungmin knew she was still disappointed. Her smile told him to do better, told him that she’d be happier if he’d at least made a little more effort to improve the things he does. She was the type of mother who tries to hide her disappointment and say only good words but unfortunately, Sungmin can read her inside out. Sungmin knew she was always looking for more from her son because she knows and believes he’s capable of being more. She doesn’t show it by words but it is clearly evident in the rewards she would offer for him to be better next time.

Sungmin sighed as he slowly dipped his toast on the butter bowl at the center of the table. Maybe he really is not good enough to be their son, but what can he actually do? His lips suddenly puckered into a slight pout.

And if his mother is an expert in hiding all her disappointments, his father, however, is a connoisseur at voicing all his grievances out.
“Why just a B+?” his father asked when he sat together with them after finishing his call. “You got an A for Maths last semester, why did your grades deteriorate? Have you been hanging out with that Shindong guy again?”

“I…” Sungmin bowed his head low. He wasn’t able to pass a major assignment since he helped Sunkyu finish her English essay. “I think the teacher does not like me, dad.” He lied. He wasn’t ever going to say that it was because of Sunkyu that he got a grade of B. His father had the tendency to blame others for Sungmin’s misfortune and Sungmin had already found it out the hard way, when, a few years ago, their house got a call from his homeroom adviser because he and his childhood friend, Shindong, suddenly cut class.

It was Sungmin who actually wanted to cut because he wanted to watch Transformers on premiere screening. He had been dying to tell that to his father but he was scared he’d get scolded. His father had then gone with him to the principal’s office to report and while on the way, he saw Shindong and his mother on the street so he tagged them along.

“My son is not really interested in those kinds of movies, if I can just say, Mr. Kim”, his father said. Shindong’s gaze were then glued to the floor, his eyes wearing an unfathomable mask as if wanting to voice something out and not really wanting to make matters worse.
Sungmin, who by then was bothered by his conscience, suddenly spoke up. “I-I was the one who wanted to watch the movie, dad. I got two premiere tickets so I invited him with me.” He interrupted in a slow and careful manner, just like how he was taught to.

His father subsequently looked at him with vicious eyes, as if wordlessly telling him that he disappointed him, and telling him how stupid he was back then. The meeting with the principal ended with the two of them receiving detentions for three days, Shindong never said anything and Sungmin already admitted everything. But even so, no matter how much he told his father that it was his fault even on the way home, Shindong’s name was already tainted in his father’s mind.

“Well, we can go to your school and have that sorted out, what is the name of your teacher?” his father said. Sungmin knew that his father already put two teachers into suspension when he requested the principal to do so; one teacher Sungmin reported to his dad because she scolded him after hitting the wrong key after a recital, and another, Sungmin made a story because he just didn’t like the way she talks in class. He still feels guilty up to now because the latter didn’t go back after his suspension. So now that his father is again threatening on putting another person’s occupation in danger, and an innocent one at that, he knew his conscience wouldn’t be able to take such a thing.

“No need, dad. I-I’ll sort this out myself since I am old enough to do so.” His mother and father looked at him then, their piercing gazes buried through him for a few seconds, minutes, hours maybe, before his father resumed reading the daily newspaper after murmuring a very uncertain and unbelieving “ok”.
 

 

 


“You should prove to them that you’re only human, hyung.” Hyukjae said as he took a piece of bread from his bento. Sungmin and Hyukjae have been friends since the first day of the latter’s transfer to Sungmin’s school. It was a cold yet sunny morning, the outside full of bald cherry blossom trees and the roads almost full as it reached the first peak of many rush hours in Seoul. Hyukjae stood in front of the class, his toes curled into extremes and his palm sweating a million drops. He tried to act cool and collected in front of them, but when he tripped over the platform on his way to the teacher’s table, almost all of them laughed at him. All of them except one, because a boy with dazzling eyes and a charming smile went up to him, and Hyukjae was about to run outside because of humiliation if the boy hadn’t held his arm and pulled him upright.

“Welcome to 2-A” the boy said as he flashed a smile reflecting the statement he just said.

Hyukjae smiled at him gratefully then, so when the teacher placed Hyukjae on a seat beside the boy, and when the boy bowed slightly at him and said “Sungmin” while stretching his hand for a shake, he knew it was the start of such beautiful friendship that would last a lifetime, or no, probably even a hundred lifetimes more.

“I don’t think they consider me as one, Hyuk.” Sungmin sighed deeply as he took a small bite off his toasted bread. “I mean, all my life they wanted me to be the perfect kid, I assume they just want what’s best for me.”

“But that doesn’t mean they should control you, or push you beyond your limits. You’re human, hyung, and as much as they want you to be the perfect and flawless son, you know it in yourself that you cannot be, so don’t force yourself.” Sungmin looked at him with significance, and hadn’t he believed that boys don’t cry, and hadn’t that same time the bell suddenly rang, he probably had let that single tear fall down from his eyes to his cheeks, and maybe a few hundreds more down.

 
“Oppa, do you have time?” Sungmin was walking down the third floor hallway when he heard a sweet girly voice that was so familiar to his ears. “Yes, Sunkyu? What is it?” He said as he turned around and smiled. A few onlookers have already gathered around them, being the most popular couple, of course they’d catch a lot of jealous stares and longing smiles.

“I… I kind of need help with my Science assignment.” Sunkyu said as she fiddled with her skirt. “You know how I don’t like depending on you too much for my assignments, but this one’s fifteen percent of my grade and I totally didn’t understand it since I was out for cheerleading practice when it was taught…”

“Um, okay… we can meet in the library after your class? What time is your dismissal?” He said as he led her to a much more secluded place. Sunkyu smiled at him then, “I’ll be out by 4 in the afternoon, will you be okay with that? Your dismissal is 2 in the afternoon and I don’t want to keep you waiting. How about I just go to your apartment after--”

“No can do, babe. Parents are coming over and…” Sungmin paused as he saw Sunkyu’s face contour to a frown. “When are you going to make me meet your parents, oppa? We’ve been dating for almost a year already and I bet they still don’t know I exist.”

Sungmin had already told them about Sunkyu a long time ago, about how he was liking this certain girl from the cheerleader squad, how he likes how cute she was when she smiles and how endearing her little voice was when he shouts commands but his father just told him not to pursue her. His mother had nothing to say that time, and Sungmin took it to say that she doesn’t like her as well. His father said he’d want to meet someone whom Sungmin thought is for keeps, not someone who he will forget once a better person suddenly comes along. He even argued with them back then, asking for them to give her a chance by meeting her but his father’s decision was already printed on rock. He said he knows his son and he knows just by how Sungmin told them about her that the attraction he is feeling towards her is nowhere near serious so he shouldn’t waste their time.

However, as Sungmin looked at the cute pouty face of her almost one-year girlfriend, he thought that maybe they’re mistaken. He thought that maybe his father judged her that easily and thought wrong about his feelings.

“I’ll…” He started slowly as he chose the right words to say, “I’ll take you to dinner with them next week, if you want, just to… you know, just for you guys to know each other and probably get along…” Sungmin said with a smile. Sunkyu hugged him then, and judging by the giggles Sunkyu gave and by how tight her hug suddenly became, Sungmin felt the extreme joy he feels when someone smiles because of him. It was very fulfilling, after all, he never got the chance to make his parents smile like how Sunkyu does.

 

 


 
Sungmin eyed his phone for a long while before he managed to dial his home’s landline number.

“Lee’s residences, how may I help you?” The shrill but cheerful voice of their head keeper greeted him when the ring finally stopped.

“Auntie Jane” he said in English as a smile crept its way onto his face. He heard a gasp from the other line and a giggle before the other managed to create another audible sound.

“Vincent, dear! It’s been so long! How are you?”

“I am fine, auntie. How about you? Oh, are mom and dad around? I kind of need to talk to either of them.” He asked the keeper as his lips suddenly chapped and his throat suddenly clasped.

“Oh, we’re fine, dear. All the helpers miss you already! And I’ll be calling your mom, okay? Your dad is in Japan for the week because he was asked to perform in a friend’s wedding so he’s not here.” He heard her voice say to him over the phone. Following suit, there was a slight disturbance on the other line that told him she already went upstairs to call his mom. This was it, he thought. He forced himself to remember how Sunkyu’s eyes formed a smile when he told her that she’ll finally be able to meet them; how her smile was like warm and gentle sunshine on a harsh, cold rainy day and he forced himself to think that they’ll both like her personality it will all be worth it once they see her.

Sunkyu is lovable, Sungmin thinks she is an adorable little cherubim inside a fully grown woman’s body. She makes Sungmin’s mornings brighter than the dawn sunlight and his afternoons a little less dark than the color of the approaching dusk. She cooks him food, not as good as how Sungmin’s mom would make but definitely one of those Sungmin will remember until the end of day. Within that short but memorable span of time, she was the one who adjusted to their relationship, not Sungmin. She was there for him every time she needed him and she’s perfect and Sungmin thinks it’s unfair if that one wish she made, he won’t be able to fulfill. So he forced himself to set things up and at least make an effort to make their so-called relationship last.

“Yes, Sungmin dear?” The cheerful voice of his mom suddenly woke him from his trance a few moments later and he stuttered in his first sound.

“H-Hey mom” he managed to croak out.

“What’s with all the stuttering, dear? Anything wrong, hmm?” Sungmin cleared his throat first as he weighed all his words. “Mom, you see… Are you free for dinner this weekend? I want you to meet someone.” He said in the most polite tone he could ever muster. This is it. This is it. This is it.

“Hm, with your dad? Sure, honey! Who is this person you’d want us to meet? By the way, how’s your Math class? Is your teacher still giving you a hard time?” His mother said and Sungmin immediately sighed in relief. Of course his mom would agree, she was the jovial lady whom Sungmin will always depend on especially when his dad is against his will.

“You’ll meet her on Sunday, I guess? Oh and I am fine, my teacher is now okay with me, I think… She treats me nicely again, she must have just been in her mid-life crisis back then” He said, biting down a laugh.

“Oh…” Then, there was silence. “So this is a girl?” Sungmin felt nervous as the voice of her mother suddenly changed. There was something in it… calculating, hesitating, too many mixed emotions that Sungmin couldn’t decipher with just hearing her voice.

“Yes, mom.” He closed his eyes and bit his lips, he knows this is when things would start to be different. “Remember the girl I told you a few months ago? She—”

“The cheerleader girl? That was a year ago, baby. Are you still hung up over her? Your dad told you not to pursue her. You know how he said she’s so not worth you.” The meaning his mother’s words held suddenly cut right through his gut. He fully remembers what his dad told him a year ago, Sunkyu being not worth him didn’t actually pass through his lips.

“Mom, you see… I just want you to meet her, I swear she’s a really nice person. She is bubbly, cheerful, beautiful… she takes care of me pretty well… and I see you in her, mom.” He could hear a slight sigh and a shifting on the other line. His mother must have stood up sometime in the conversation and now she sat back down again. “I’ll see what I can do, honey, just… don’t get your hopes high because you know how your father can be, right?”

“Yes mom… Thank you for giving her a chance, though. I’m sure you’ll like her.” Sungmin said.

“Okay, honey. I’ll be telling your dad about your plans. I’ll just call you with whatever happens, okay?” He could actually feel the sincerity of her mom’s words. He knew she would really try her best, she would convince his dad to meet Sunkyu and him and Sungmin knew it won’t be an easy task. But of course she’ll do it. That was one of the reasons why he loved his mother so much.

“Yes mom, thank you, I guess I’ll see you this weekend?”

 

 


 
The place was classy and yet it’s nevertheless lively. It’s a Saturday and the restaurant was fully packed, every chair was occupied and they wouldn’t waste seats so Sungmin wondered why her mother asked for their table to be set for 5. Sungmin sat on the left side of the head chair while Sunkyu sat on his left. His mother was across him and was focused on her phone as his father still hasn’t arrived from Japan.

“I’m sorry, your father still hasn’t arrived. He said they had some difficulty so his flight was rescheduled. I think he arrived at the airport a few minutes ago though. He’ll be here soon, don’t worry.” They went to the restaurant fifteen minutes earlier and that was what Hyerin already said the moment she came in. When they saw her approaching, they stood up and Sungmin kissed his mom… after that, his mother took one look at Sunkyu, and the latter smiled back.

“You must be Sunkyu” his mother said in acknowledgment. Sunkyu nodded in response. “Yes, Mrs. Lee. I am so glad to finally meet you in person.” She said as she stretched her hand. His mother then smiled at her, a fond smile that she often gives when she is happy and Sungmin was half-relieved. The tension that was on the atmosphere completely disappeared though, when instead of just shaking the girl’s hands, his mother hugged her and kissed her on the cheek.

“Mom…” Sungmin said, thoroughly pleased and joyful at the same time. His mother then looked at him with a smile. He took his mother’s hands and kissed it on each palm before they sat, really thankful how his mother tries to compensate for what his father might lack and gives all the acceptance an understanding mother would give.

They were starting to break the ice with a conversation when they heard the shuffling of feet towards their course. Sungmin turned from his seat and he saw his father in a long black suit, who probably went straight from the airport to there, and a stranger, whose face Sungmin hasn’t seen in his whole entire life.

“Sorry, I was late. I take it this dinner has started without me in it?” His father said as he took the head chair and as he gestured the stranger to take the seat next to his mother. There were a few bodyguards around them, most probably there to keep them protected or secure from any danger as how they were paid for, and maybe to serve as attention haggler since people actually started to spare them some curious stares. Sungmin would’ve minded them as how he did so when they were around before, but the guy across Sunkyu bothered him more than he should and it’s making him think.

“Dad…” he said as he looked at the general direction of his father. His father was talking to the waiter in French, Sungmin knew his father can actually talk to him in Korean but being around with strangers, of course he wouldn’t dare do that. He looked at Sungmin when he was done ordering and asked why in recognition. Sungmin then saw his father spare Sunkyu a mild, disinterested stare and Sungmin tried his best to just bite back a scoff.

“Dad… this is Sunkyu. The one I--”

“Is this the cheerleader girl you told us before?” His father offhandedly said and he saw Sunkyu’s hand tighten into a fist.

“Yes, dad. I am here to introduce her to you and mom, for you to know that I am serious with what I told you before and I still care of what you will say.” Sungmin said in reply. His mother was already quietly eating her food, Sunkyu had suddenly stopped reaching for her fork when the talk about her started and the stranger went to the toilet for an early break.

“If you really cared of what we’ll say, you’ll remember that my words are already final.”

“But dad—“

“Of course, as you said before, you’re already old and you can manage things on your own.” The food has then been served and Sungmin’s father has taken to eating his, breaking the conversation and ending it before Sungmin was even able to utter a single word. Sungmin would’ve forced him to talk and get to know her more, but the stranger had then returned from the comfort room and his father smiled at him.

“Before I forget, this is Park Jungsu.” His father gestured at the stranger and Sungmin looked at him with impact. The guy suddenly stood up and made an almost 90 degree bow. Hyerin acknowledged him kindly, like the mother he used to know since before but Sungmin just stared at him hard before Sunkyu forced him to stand up and bow as well.

“He is a friend’s son.” Seunghwan narrated while he started slicing his steak into parts. “Unfortunately, his parents died last tsunami and he is here to continue studying for university. I already took care of his application in Seoul National, so he’ll be staying at your apartment in the mean time, Sungmin.” Sungmin looked at his father with utmost shock.

“Dad, I—“ He opened his mouth to interrupt but his father cut him off.

“Yes, Sungmin? Is there anything bothering you? After all the things I’ve done for you?” He closed his mouth and shook his head in defeat.

 


 
 
The next few days were like torture, or at least, that’s what Sungmin is making it out to be. Being used to a tranquil and quiet life, he was having a really hard time adjusting to the loud laughs his ‘boarder’ would make at night. He also found his scrambled eggs to be bland, the soap he is using too fruity and the shampoo he is using a complete decoy of Sungmin’s.

“Oh, look! We have the same shampoo! And same bottle and size too! This must have meant something!” Jungsu said when Sungmin finally allowed him to take a quarter of the shower rack after a long and heated (mostly on Sungmin’s part, that is) discussion.

“Tsch, meant something your , hyung” Sungmin said as he stomped all the way to the living room, only getting more irritated when the older one went back to the living room as well and just smiled at him in return.

He found out that Jungsu is already 22 years old, that’s what Sungmin heard when he ‘overheard’ him complaining about his age on phone. It ticked him how the guy almost always talks in Japanese, except maybe during those times when he is talking to Sungmin’s dad which is evident when Jungsu’s tone was very formal and proper. Sungmin found it insulting that the older guy thinks he does not know what they’re talking about, the other guy didn’t even bother making his voice low when he said those flirty phrases on the phone. It was kind of offensive, he is known by everyone as a multilingual after all. So one time when Jungsu was preparing their dinner, he suddenly blurted out in pure, non-accented Japanese. “When will the food be ready?”

Jungsu’s eyes widened and he looked as if he just got a shock, just like those other times when he witnessed Sungmin play the piano while closing his eyes and that time when Sungmin answered a tough general question in a TV show so easily. That didn’t seem to please Sungmin all the more, since he then confirmed that Jungsu doesn’t really know a thing about him and adding it to the fact that the older man wasn’t even making an effort to know him.

The older man was enrolled to Seoul National the day after he was introduced to Sungmin. He was immediately put into 2nd year, with a half-scholarship because of his poetry and literature skills and Sungmin’s dad seemed to favor him so much.

The last bit was what put Sungmin into the edge.

He never gained recognition from his dad that much. His parents, especially his father, were always asking him to be better or to maintain what he did when he already surpassed being the best, so seeing this new stranger get a lot of praises from his father made his blood boil more than necessary. His mom didn’t seem to favor the guy too, and it made him really glad that someone thinks the same as he does. His envy got to the point that he swore he would get rid of the guy the moment he finds something that could destroy him. He wasn’t really the type to do things to put someone’s life in danger, but as Hyukjae said, he is human too and he is allowed to hold stupid, but personally meaningful grudges.