Chapter 1 - Doubts

The Perfections of an Imperfect Love

12 years later…

 

 

“Daniel?” mom called out from downstairs.

“Yes, Mom?” a smooth, deep voice answered.

“Dinner’s ready!”

Daniel carefully placed a red ribbon on the book he was reading, “The Princess Bride” and got out of bed. He had grown from a small innocent boy to a handsome man since then. His eyes, though still impaired, were still the mesmerizing green they were 12 years ago. His face clear and beardless, an angular chin, and his lips the color of pure blush.

He was fairly built, 6’2 in height. He was also very intelligent. After learning how to read Braille and write, he went to school with the other kids and is part of the advanced program. His foster parents couldn’t be prouder.

Two years after his adoption, the Hayden’s decided that it was time for him to have siblings; Angela, who was the youngest in the family and blonde, and Zachary, who was older than him by eight months with jet black hair.

Daniel felt for his cane and went down the stairs. He counted the steps to the dining room and to his seat.

Zachary sat beside him and greeted his brother with a grin. Then, after remembering Daniel couldn’t see it, he clutched his hand and let Daniel’s fingers graze his face.

Daniel smiled. That was the way he got to see his family; by letting him touch their faces.

“What are you grinning about?” Daniel asked, slightly smirking.

“I’m just happy for you, lil’ bro.” at this, Angela, who just sat across Zach, leaned forward and smacked the latter’s head.

“Ow! What was that for?" Zach bellowed at her, his voice ringing around the house.

"It was supposed to be a surprise!
 Angela shrieked, with teeth bared. 

"What's the surprise?" Daniel asked, wincing. He wasn't one for surprises.

"Not telling," Angela said, raising her hand and moving it over in a zipping motion.

Daniel shook his head and sighed. He would never get it out of his sister no matter how much he tried. He considered his mother would bring the matter up later at supper anyway, so he cast the thought aside.

The man of the house quickly wiped his mouth and coughed. Not that he need to; he was already being watched with anxious eyes (figuratively speaking on Daniel's case, of course) since the start of dinner. 

"Daniel, I'm sure you know we have some news for you." his father said in an off-hand manner, giving a quick glance towards his other foster kids, who smiled sheepishly. 

"Of course, Dad. These animals were trying very hard to keep it, it was terribly obvious." he replied, smirking at his siblings. 

Zach was growling while Angela just glared at him, forgetting that such an act proved useless to the blind individual. 

"Hmm. Well, as I was saying, Daniel, it’s about a very touchy subject -”

“What about my eyes?” Daniel asked; his fist clenching. His father was right; it was a touchy subject, and he was wondering why on earth his family wants to bring it up when they already knew of this knowledge.

“We’re planning on taking you to the ophthalmologist, sweetie. So we could schedule for an operation.” His mother answered.

“What’s an opthal -” Zach started.

“It’s an eye doctor.” Angela answered impatiently, anxious about the discussion.

“Why would you do this without asking me?”  Daniel fumed.

“Because we knew you would say “No”.” Angela replied, rolling her eyes as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“And yet you still agreed on this.”

“Hey Dan, it’s not like we don’t respect you or anything. But you don’t want to try, so we just did it.” Zack said, all traces of mirth gone.

“And you call that respecting me?” Daniel retorted.

“Oh please, Dan.” Angela started, slowly rising from her set, glaring daggers at her brother, who remained unaffected. “Do you or do you not want to see everything?” All you’re missing out on?”

Daniel pursed his lips. She knew what he felt about his disability, and she was now using it to win the war.

“You already know the answer to that.” He answered curtly.

“Exactly. So, why all this drama?”

Daniel sighed and laid his head on his hands. They wouldn’t understand…not at all.

Mrs. Hayden looked at her son with such sorrow she placed a hand on his shoulder, encouraging him to tell them his sentiments.

“I’m scared.” Daniel admitted finally.

“Scared of what, son?” his father asked softly.

“Of what the doctors would say. I’m scared that…that there’s a chance they’ll say it can’t be done. I…I’m petrified that I’ll make us feel hopeful and then disappoint you guys. A part of me doubts I’d have what it takes to see anyway. So what’s the point? What if I’ll just waste time and lose in the end, anyway?”

Angela sat down again, not having any of her witty comebacks to her brother’s confession. He had never, in all his life, sounded so weak, so hopeless. He was always so brave, so competitive and that’s how they know him. This side of Daniel was never unearthed before now, and it was proving difficult to get along to.

A cloud of silence had overcome their dinner until Mr. Hayden finally spoke.

“If you don’t at least try, Daniel, then you’re already a loser. So you tell me.”

Daniel raised his head from his hands, deep in thought. His father was right. If he doesn’t try to find out if he could see, then he’ll never be able to. He’ll keep thinking about it for the rest of his life.

“If you’re worried about us, little bro, you don’t have to. We love you, so we want what’s best for you.” Zach said.

Sensing her brother uncertainty, Angela added, “Besides, when you finally get to see us, I won’t have to drag you to the mall anymore.” her eyes twinkling slightly.

Daniel finally grinned at this and nodded, as long as his family was behind him, he wouldn’t fear of the outcome.    

 

~~~