Chemistry

Chemistry - Key

First day of college, it was supposed to be perfect but yours was not meant to be in a fairy tale. Since you had torn your Achilles Tendon, things haven’t been exactly perfect. Getting surgery right before college wasn’t ideal either but that was life and you had learned to deal with it.

Walking to your next class, the clinging of the crutches and the swinging of your cast, you got into your rhythm humming a song to yourself as you walked into your science class. Chemistry. Taking a seat that was not too far from the door, you slipped into the seat as you leaned your crutches against your desk as a group of boys came in and filled the seats around you.

Oh great, just like last year and the year before last, you thought knowing that all they wanted was answers and for you to do the labs for them. Then a guy your age came in right before the teacher started speaking, he hurried past you tripping on your crutches, luckily he caught himself but made a huge scene as he slid himself into the desk behind you. Adverting your eyes he helped you pick up your crutches as you tried to hide your blushing face.

"Ok, your lab partner for the year will be sitting behind you." He paused so everyone can meet their new partner. You slumped in your seat not wanting to make another fool of yourself. A tap on your shoulder broke you from your thoughts of self loathing as you turned around.

"Hi, my name is Ki-bum but you can call me Key, what’s your name?" He flashed you a kind smile as you couldn’t help but smile back.

”_______, nice to meet you Key” You smiled as both of your attention turned back to the teacher as he cleared his throat.

"First lab is today, it is due tomorrow, this is a home lab, so do this at home, with your partner. Come and get it" The teacher released the stack of papers so that they slammed down on top of the table. You began to get up as you felt a hand on your shoulder holding you down.

"I’ll get you one" Key said as he moved your crutches out of the isle and over to the wall in front of your desk. With a smile that you couldn’t hide he grabbed you a paper and handed it to you as you turned around in your seat to face him. Writing both of your names at the top he watched you as you struggled with your name.

"You’re new here?" He asked as he saw you struggling

"Exchange student~" You said as you erased your name, just to start over.

"May I?" He asked as you nodded your head, he took your paper writing your name at the top then returning the paper to you. "So can I meet you at your dorm so we can work on this?" He asked

"Yeah, that would be great." You smiled as his eyes met yours. He blinked his eyes rapidly looking around at the now empty classroom.

"I guess they all went to go do the project" Key pointed out as you looked down to the hands that were clasped into your lap. Key stood up and moved past you as you stood up, he handed you your crutches as you thanked him. You placed your crutches under your arms as you picked up your backpack throwing it over your shoulders. Key held up your paper that you forgot.

"Can you put that in my backpack for me?" You asked feeling really shy from what he had already done for you and that you almost killed him with your crutches. He smiled, nodding as he ped your backpack slipping the packet between two folders to keep it from bending. He zipped up your backpack as you thanked him and walked to the door, where you tried to open it but failed and about fell over before someone caught you. Looking in his eyes he had obvious concern about you.

"Let me get that for you" He said kindly helping you back to your feet as he held the door open for you. He walked beside you as you both exited the building, heading home to go do the project. The clinking of your crutches was the only sound that was heard between you two before Key spoke up.

"So what happened?" He gestured down to your cast.

"I just tore my Achilles Tendon, had to get surgery so I am in this cast for a couple more days then I get another cast" You explained as you entered your building, walking to the elevator. Pushing your floor you both stood in silence until the bell rang for you to exit on your floor. Walking up to your door, you pushed in your key as he slipped his hand around the handle holding it open for you again. You have honestly said thank you to him so many times that you just nodded your head. You moved to your counter, resting on one of your chairs as he pulled out the packet.

"So it just looks like a simple mixture, like something that you would do for a fifth grade project." Key said as he leaned against the counter. "How about you tell me where things are and you can mix it, since you shouldn’t move to much." You felt blush on your cheeks for the billionth time today. Asking where ingredients are, you gave him directions which he followed perfectly as you both watched the reaction take place.

After the experiment you had to write up a report as you were having trouble with the language which you only knew for about a year before.

"How about you write your lab in English and then I take it for you and  rewrite yours in Korean and attach the Korean version on the back." He offered

"I don’t want to create more work for you, plus that would be too nice of you after everything you did today." You looked down at your paper ashamed that he did so many things for you and that you couldn’t do anything for him.

"How about we make a deal?" He leaned over the counter to you, "If you keep me company in class and you stay my partner for Chemistry then I will teach you Korean and help you write your labs." His offer was hard to refuse since you still felt like you were using him.

"Ok, but if you need help with anything, even English. I can help you ok?" You smiled at him happily.

"Deal" He said as he smiled at you and you smiled at him. His crush on you began to grow hoping that he would get the chance to tell you how he feels. Biting your lip you felt the same way, knowing that this was going to be the best year of Chemistry yet.