EXO: 2+2=5, right?

Rose (One Shot Collection)

Tao feels stupid. Usually he would be able to understand the letters and numbers printed on the single sheet before him but not today. He glances to his left and bites his lip at how fast Jongin's pen was moving on the paper. The same goes with Yixing but he is a genius unlike Jongin. Why was everything so hard?
 "You have an hour to go," the teacher drawls, trying to stay awake so that no one cheats. Tao looks at the first question. Slowly, like a veil lifting, the letters and numbers align just right and it all makes sense again. He could help but sigh in relief when the bell rings after he has answered the final question.
 "That was hard," he said as he fell in step with Yixing and Jongin as they walked towards their lockers.
 "Yeah, right. Like you didn't totally spend an hour staring at people before you started," Jongin scoffed and punched him lightly.
 "Seriously, like I was staring at the questions and couldn't understand so I thought everyone else was having the same problem," he paused, seeing that he had Yixing's attention at least. "Then suddenly it all came back,"
 "Were you nervous?"
 "Not really I just saw-"
It hits him like a brick. He saw Kyungsoo giving Jongin a peck right before he entered the classroom. Then again, Tao reasons, it could be that he just blanked out. How long has it been since he had any feelings for Kyungsoo? Too long.
 "You saw what?"
 "Nothing. I- it was two flies humping," he said hurriedly. It was not exactly a lie since he spotted the blue bottle flies on the window sill next to his desk. Yixing gave him a look and, as a testament to how often Tao blurts out weird things, he shrugs.
 "Oh my God, you guys!" Tao side stepped a wild haired and flushed Sehun. "You'd never believe what I just saw?"
 "Tao watched two flies getting it on so..."
 "Watching is just a strong term. It's more like looking up occassionally-"
 "Kris was with Minseok. Kris was with Minseok!... The short guy who looks like steamed-oh come on, this is big,"
Tao shrugged. "Not really. We all know he likes short dudes. Remember when he was with Kyungsoo?"
As soon as he said it, Tao felt an ache in his chest and his stomach lurged uncomfortably. On the outside he was cool smiling as the excited grin slipped off Sehun's face but he was riling on the inside. What the hell was happening to him?
 "Speaking of ex-boyfriends, I noticed your name was missing from my list?"
 "Huh?"
Sehun rolled his eyes. "I'm asking you to go out with me for only a limited time,"
 "That doesn't sound romantic," Tao sniffed.
 "Do you want me to promise you forever?" Sehun fluttered his eyelashes and Tao caught himself thinking that they were pretty before he was socked in the stomach. "Nothing lasts forever, dip. I'm picking you up tomorrow. Dress casually,"
 "Why do you always attract the violent ones?" Tao lamented as he rubbed his soft spot. Yixing patted him on the back sympathetically but then again he had a far away look on his face.
 "I have no idea," Jongin grinned at him.
 It turned out he enjoyed his date with Sehun despite eating at Burger King and having to pay for gas because Sehun was, as always, broke. He almost balked before pulling the younger one in for a kiss.
 "I knew you're good kisser," Sehun whispered, leaning in so that their foreheads touched. 
 "Want to come inside?" 
 "No, I have to go home. School. Stuff."
 "Okay," Tao tells him and then gives him another kiss before pushing him away lightly. Sehun walked away dazed. Tao fist pumps because hell yeah, he still got it. He was about to go inside when he saw Kyungsoo sitting on his porch across the street looking at him. Tao raised his hand and waved after a moment's thought. He probably imagined Kyungsoo rolling his eyes before getting up and entering his house

~~~xxx~~~
 Two months later and Sehun was comfortable enough to make out with Tao in front of everyone in the cafeteria. He always said it was embarrassing and scrowled whenever anyone else, who evidently did not have his problem, did it.
 "Who taught you how to kiss like that?"
Tao grinned and buried his face into his neck because the person that did was sitting beside them.
 "You two are so gross," Baekhyun scrunched his nose.
 "What is that we hear?" Sehun says. "Is that the sound of jealous?"
 "I think it is but why would our dear Baekhyun be jealous?" Tao joins in. He feels an instant's surge of guilt which is quelled because Sehun's eyes become crescents.
 "Because-" Sehun is cut off by a flying croissant that hits his forehead none too lightly. Tao kisses the spot.
 "Oh, you guys. I hope you trip into a cesspool."
 "There, there," Yixing pats his head. Seeing Baekhyun blush, and then duck his head to hide it, made Tao, Jongin and Sehun wolf whistle, cat call and make kissing faces.
 "Douchebags," Baekhyun mutters before he storms.
 "Why are you guys so harsh?" Yixing glares before he follows him.
 "I bet ten dollars they'll be ing by the end of the week," Sehun slammed the money onto the table.
Tao does not join in because he caught Kyungsoo's gaze and all he could think about was how kissable his lips were. He snapped out of it when Jongin blocked his view for about a second.
 "So?" Sehun looked at him expectantly.
 "What?"
 "Place your bet," Sehun said rolling his eyes.
Tao removed the first note from his wallet-a twenty, he realises too late- and says, "End of the year,"
Sehun his eyebrow. "You do realise that it's January, right?"
 "End of the year," Tao repeats dropping the note on the small pile. Everyone else had removed five dollar bills like the rational people they were. "I've known the two of the longest and I'm telling you, they'll realise it by prom night,"
Sehun looks at the money and then bites his lower lip. "I'm sticking with mine. Hey, we share if you win," he added in a low tone.

~~~xxx~~~

 Tao learns a lot about Sehun when he starts spending more time in his house instead. Like how insanely competitive he was when it came to video games. Sure, they played together before when Kris was a part of their gang but he gets more intense when there are less people watching. He also learns that his boyfriend talks in his sleep, mostly about food and sometimes about Tao's lips.
 Their relationship becomes something different the week before the spring holiday when he spots a bruise on Sehun's hipbone after he raises his arms to celebrate K.Oing Tao after many tries.
 "How did that happen?"
Sehun yanked his shirt away. His cheeks were tinged in red and he suddenly seemed smaller.
 "I, uh, fell," it sounded so pathetic that Tao raised his hand and gently capped his cheeks.
 "You can tell me."
He did not expect Sehun to start crying, to hold on to him tightly and blubber about the bad economy and jobs.
 "It's okay It's okay," Tao croons as he rocks him gently. His chest felt like exploding and he tried to reign in the tears because he needed to be strong for him.
 "I'm so sorry,"
 "You have nothing to be sorry for. I love you,"
They both froze as soon as the words tumbled out. His heart was beating so fast and there was so much emotion inside of him that Tao could not decide if it was true.
 "You do?" 
He looked at him with recently dyed blonde hair that had an infuriating part, flushed skin and lips that trembled.
 "I do," Tao answered wiping his eyes more roughly. "I do love you,"
 "I feel the same way- I mean, I love you too,"
 "Good, because you're moving in. I'm not letting you stay with him any longer,"
 Tao learns a lot more about Sehun when he starts sleeping in his room instead of any of the other bedrooms. He learns how much he dislikes sudden movements so Tao has taken to move deliberately which earns him a bashful smile. He also he hold his ity dearly and that, despite his flippant attitude, he does believe in The One. Finally, he learns that Sehun likes to talks big especially when he tries to hide what he truly feels.
 "I've seen the way you look at Kyungsoo. Don't worry about me. I don't mind much. Who can forget their first love, right?"
It pains Tao when he hears him sobbing into his fist at night when he thinks he is the only one awake. There is so much Tao could say, so much he show but there was this uncertainty that had lodge itself firmly in his mind.
 "Hey, is it enterly possible to forget about your first love?"
 "Of course it is," Yixing replies quickly. He looks distant again so he could be talking about anything.
Tao feels stupid. Usually, he would be able to understand his feelings but not now. He glances up and sees Jongin easily capture Kyungsoo's lips. He sees Yixing kiss the back of Baekhyun's hand. Why was everything so hard?
 "Sehun's in the gym," Baekhyun said. Sehun at the gym. Sehun was at the gym. Tao looks at the cafeteria door and suddenly everything aligns itself right and then he's running as fast as he could. 
 Music blasted through the thick doors. Tao pulled them open and saw Sehun before Sehun saw him. He turned the stereo off and took a minute to appreciate Sehun, his face, his lean body, his taut skin that was moist with sweat. For the last week, Tao has avoided him out of guilt and felt even more guilty when he did that.
 "What do you want?" Sehun snapped as soon as he realised he was not alone.
 "You," Tao answered.
 "Are you sure-"
 "Very sure. More sure than I've ever been about anything," 
 "I don't know what to say." Sehun said nonchalantly. "I thought you didn't want me any more,"
 "I didn't want to see you hurt,"
 "Well, that's a stupid way to go about it,"
 "I'm pretty stupid sometimes." Tao agreed. "I do want you. I never stopped,"
Sehun matched at him and Tao felt his eyes falling to his lips before he was punched and then pulled up for a kiss.
 "You're such a dimwit. I don't even know why I care for you,"
 "Must be my blinding good looks," Tao wheezed. "I love you. Very much,"
 "Good to know because if I see you eyeing Kyungsoo again, I'll kill you,"

~~~xxx~~~