chapter three.

I Met You in the Sand

The kite shop was a part of a gallery of several shops spread about three levels. You and Myungsoo climbed the stairs to the third level, where there was a small ice cream shop.

"What flavour do you want?"

"Uhh.. I don't know." Myungsoo stared at the long list of available flavours, trying to count how many there were. More than half of them were either outrageously ridiculous sounding or ones Myungsoo had never heard of. Some of them, he couldn't even pronounce.

"One scoop of mocha, two of coffee," Yeol ordered when Myungsoo stepped aside. The man behind the counter nodded and handed Yeol his ice cream. "Thanks, Gyu. And put these two on my tab."

You shot a glare over at Yeol, who was eagerly away at his melting ice cream. Myungsoo finally decided on getting whatever you were getting; there were just too many to choose from. You chuckled as Gyu handed you and Myungsoo a strawberry ice cream each.

You then quickly handed Gyu your money over the counter while Yeol was at the other side of the shop, admiring the candy selection.

"Thank you! Come back again!" You left Gyu your change in the tip jar on the counter.

"But. But. BUT I WANTED TO PAY FOR YOU!" Yeol pouted as you guys were finishing up your ice creams outside the shop. You were walking down with Myungsoo to the second-level shops and saw a stuffed animal workshop.

"Too bad. You wandered off, so I pay today." You reached for the door to enter the shop. "Besides, I'm older than you. Both of you."

You stepped into the store, then turned your head toward the boys again. "And Myungsoo is MY guest, not yours," you said before sticking your tongue out at them as the door shut closed.

"She's older than you?" Myungsoo whispered to Yeol while you were talking to one of the workers in the shop.

"Yep." Yeol was browsing the different animals available to choose from.

"How much older?"

"Dunno. She could be forty for all I know."

"What!"

"Just kidding, man. She shouldn't be older than twenty-five. Pretty sure."

Myungsoo sighed in relief. He wondered what his mother would say about her son spending his time aroad with some older woman.

"Okay, guys. I just talked to Jong about giving us a special deal today. We get one doll each."

Yeol pulled Myungsoo over to the cabinets with the different options. He explained to Myungsoo that he'd need to pick a 'shell' first, then stuff it, then give it a name, some clothes if desired, and oodles and oodles of love, with emphasis on the oodles.

Myungsoo walked up to the shelves, and looked from end to end to find what he was looking for. He took a white bunny off the shelf. When Jong saw Myungsoo make his selection, he happily skipped over to him and handed him a tiny red heart.

"What's this for?"

"You write a wish or message on it, kiss it, then stick it inside your doll before stuffing it."

Myungsoo grabbed a pen from the counter and tapped it against his forehead repeatedly, thinking of what to write on the heart.

Meanwhile, you and Yeol were already stuffing your dolls at the giant cotton-spinning machine at the front of the store.

"Are you taking him anywhere after this?"

"I was going to take him to see the dolphins at the south end of the island. Today's a holiday, though, so they're closed," you said disappointedly. You watched Yeol as his dolphin doll gained volume as he stuffed it. You had just finished writing your message. You then brought the paper to your lips, gently placing a light peck on it before sealing it inside your lilac-coloured bunny.

"So what are you going to do instead?" You shrugged, then straightened your bunny's ears.

"The ferry should be running, right? Maybe go to one of the south islands. He likes photography." You tied a large red bow around the bunny's neck for a finishing touch. "Done."

"Is that for me? Let's name it Yeolie." Yeol reached over for your bunny and tried grabbing it, but you moved it away from him.

"... No. Its name is Myung-myung."

Yeol had to return to work at the kite shop, leaving Myungsoo alone with you again. Right outside the kite shop was a wooden staircase that led up beyond the third level to a small overhead balcony. From it, people could see miles away on a clear day.

Myungsoo took out his camera, preparing for some shots of the view. "You."

You raised your eyebrow. "Me?"

"Well, obviously you. No one else is here, so who else would I be talking to? Stand over there and pose."

You stared at him. What on Earth? You walked over to the pole by the ledge of the balcony and stood there. "What do you want me to do?"

"I dunno. Do something natural. Twirl?"

"That's natural?"

"Sure." You rolled your eyes and spun yourself around anyway.

By mid-afternoon, Myungsoo found himself dragged onto a ferry departing from the big island making its way to one of the smaller islands.

"Where are we going?"

"Ocracoke. There's something nifty there."

"Octa-poke—what? Like the slimy thing with legs?" Myungsoo's eyes widened and filled with horror, his face pale at the thought of those creatures.

"No. You're funny. Octopi are found at the bottom of the ocean, and don't crawl around on islands. Good grief."

Myungsoo had nothing better to do for the next half hour or so, so he decided to wander around the boat with camera on hand, while you decided to take a break in the air-conditioned cabin. You suspected that Myungsoo would probably do something stupid, so you convinced yourself against taking a quick snooze.

Myungsoo circled around the boat twice before getting settled at a spot near the back. From there, Myungsoo could photograph the island as the boat drifted further and further away from it. Eventually, it became just a slit in the distance.

He poked his head at the window you were sitting next to in the cabin and knocked on the glass to get your attention. You jumped momentarily to regain your consciousness, then looked out the window to find Myungsoo signaling for you to come outside. He seemed to want to show you something.

"What did you want to show me?" You walked over towards Myungsoo, who was leaning half of his body over the edge of the boat. "Myungsoo.." you called out, but he didn't seem to hear you. You lightly smacked him on the back. "Myungsoo..? Oh, god. Myungsoo? Answer me!" You tried pulling him from the edge, but your arms weren't as strong as you'd hoped they were.

With a few more tugs, you fell backwards onto the deck with Myungsoo right on top of your legs. You winced a little, but it didn't hurt too much. Just as you tried to stand yourself up, Myungsoo grabbed your arm and pulled you back onto the ground.

You lightly smacked him again, this time on his arm. "Ow," he muttered.

"What on earth? What were you trying to pull?"

"Nothing. I just dozed off for a bit since you were taking forever to come out here." He stood himself back up first, then lent you his hand to help you up.

Although unwilling, you took his hand anyway. "Okay, now what? What did you call me out here for?"

Myungsoo flipped his hair and gazed into the water. "The captain said that we'd be arriving in less than ten minutes, so prepare to get off the boat. Look, treasure!"

He pointed to a tiny bit of land poking out of the water a few meters away from the boat. On it was a giant 'x' marked in the sand. You sighed, exasperated.

“Really, Myungsoo? Sometimes, I forget how old you are.” You started to walk away from him and tugged on your hair a little, letting the steam out of your head.

“What? I was going to ask you why there was an ‘x’ on that island! Is there really treasure?” Myungsoo started after you, trying to catch up with you to ask more questions. Childish ones, you supposed.

“I don’t know!”

Myungsoo continued to trek behind you as you were heading to the final destination of your day with Myungsoo in the Outer Banks. The sun was soon to set, and you wanted to waste no time getting there. There was only one more ferry for the day, and you didn't want to be left behind on this island.

"Are we there yet?" Myungsoo panted a little and wiped his sweat off his sleeve. "The sun's setting, but why is it still hot?" You shrugged. "And how are you wearing pants? You wore pants yesterday, too."

You glanced down at your pants. No. You didn't want him to know, not quite yet, if ever. "What? I like wearing pants, okay?"

"Don't most girls wear shorts in the summer heat? You are strange."

"I'm not strange. I just prefer wearing pants, okay?" You sighed and brightened up a bit when you saw the tower straight ahead.

"Holy... holy." Myungsoo's jaw literally dropped when you two finally reached your destination. Standing next to the lighthouse, Myungsoo felt small.

"You like it? It's one of those tourist places that everyone comes to see, I guess." Myungsoo nodded. "Sorry we came so late though.. I guess you can't really photograph it like this, since it's a little too dark."

Myungsoo shook his head. "It's okay. Should we head back now? Didn't you say there was only one more boat leaving this island today?"

"Crap. Yeah." You started to walk toward the ferry docks again. Without realizing it, you started to pick up the pace. "Last one there is a rotten... uhh."

Myungsoo smirked and started to run, too.

When Myungsoo led you to your house, you stopped in front of the door, slightly shocked at where Myungsoo had been staying this entire time in the States.

When you walked in, your mother saw you, but she knew to pretend you were strangers. You and Myungsoo both greeted her and bowed, and she smiled in return.

After dinner, Myungsoo led you to his guestroom, and gently laid his belongings on the ground next to the door. He then plopped onto the bed.

You sat on the ground, and within moments, Myungsoo had fallen asleep. The house was air-conditioned, and you didn't want him to get sick at night. You stood up and reached over to pull the blankets over him. A stuffed rabbit plushie sat on the pillow. You grabbed it and noticed the initials you embroidered into one of its ears years ago. You grinned and tucked the plushie underneath the blanket into Myungsoo's arms.

You set a gift-wrapped medium-sized box on the nightstand. You then kneeled over Myungsoo, and lightly pecked his cheek before walking out of the room, quietly closing the door.

"You sure you don't want to stay home tonight? He's leaving tomorrow morning," your mother tried convincing you as you put your shoes back on.

You had your own place, and you didn't want Myungsoo to know this was your house. "I'm sure."

"Okay, honey. Have a safe trip home."

"I will, Mom. Love you, bye." You stepped out the door.

The sun had fully set by now, and as you walked out, fireworks began to blossom in the night sky. It was a national holiday that day.

You walked down the street, thinking about your day with Myungsoo. Hopefully, he had a good time. At least more fun than he was used to. You really wished he did.

You turned to face your house one last time. A tear rolled down your cheek, but you quickly brushed it away with your hand and kept walking, walking away from your source of joy, happiness.


posted 15072011