Epilogue

Ikebana

 

“I still can’t believe you didn’t tell me that Kangin was actually your boss.”

Zhou Mi smiles, turning to the second prince as they walk through the garden together. “And I thought it was common knowledge that the crown prince detached his Secretary of Archives from his regular duties to look after you.”

Hyukjae had only recently found out that his stout and quiet bodyguard is actually in charge of the entire network of information that kept the palace safe from traitors and secret plots. The second prince hadn’t known that, let alone that his brother had picked a special body guard for him. So he was, surprised, to say the least. And a little offended when both Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi side-eyed him for the lack of that knowledge.

“Oh yes, uh. By the way, Donghae says to tell Kyuhyun that if he wants that red silk redone, he has to do it himself.”

Zhou Mi blinks at the odd statement, and when he looks for clarification, the second prince only shrugs. Staring in front of them where both Zinnia and Kyuhyun were admiring the flowers, making coquettish comments to each other, Zhou Mi asks. “Why doesn’t Donghae tell Kyuhyun himself?”

“Because, apparently, Kyuhyun insinuated that Donghae was lower in the Zinnia ranking than him. And when Donghae asked why, Kyuhyun said it was because Donghae couldn’t pretend to someone’s boots even if it killed him. Donghae took offense, and now we, the second prince of Chousen and the Assistant Secretary of Archives are reduced to two messenger boys running errands for our lovers.”

Zhou Mi is highly amused by this analogy, and he shows it by clutching his sides and laughing himself hoarse. Hyukjae laughs as well, although more quietly.

“They’re such good friends aren’t they?” Zhou Mi snickers, and although there is no logic in that statement at all, Hyukjae agrees. He isn’t the only one who has seen Kyuhyun protect Donghae from the scathing comments of the court, or that Donghae brews more herbal tea than needed for two, making sure he and Hyukjae drink it where Zhou Mi and Kyuhyun would pass in the morning.

They both fall silent, sinking deep into their thoughts. And when they speak again, it’s about less pleasant things.

“The war with Xing…” Zhou Mi starts and Hyukjae sighs.

“Is well on its way of no return. We took back the pass at Enera, but Hokai-do is lost. The Royal Advisor to the Crown is in his room sulking about the Xing Ambassador packing his bags and leaving. I’m trying my best, but I’m running dry of ideas.”

Zhou Mi shakes his head of the description of Heechul, knowing it to be accurate. “I’ll ask Kyuhyun if he can help.”

“It would be very useful. He’s a brilliant strategist.” Hyukjae admits and Zhou Mi smiles as if Hyukjae had praised him instead.

Zhou Mi glances up then, and he sees Kyuhyun eyeing him. And he smiles back, shaking his head. Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and turns back, no doubt to continue to insult Donghae in underhanded polite political ways. He couldn’t have been more beautiful.

“To think, at one time, you were wondering whether you could trust him.” Hyukjae comments, seeing the smile and knowing what it means. Zhou Mi doesn’t seem to hear.

Outside the palace, there is war and bloodshed. Zhou Mi goes back to his room late at night, making decisions that would leave the blood of a thousand soldiers on his hands with each one. But when he awakes from his nightmares, there’s a hand in his, a voice to whisper sweet reassurances until he calms down.

For Zhou Mi, at least, however selfish it might seem, all is right in the world.