Under the Sunset...Together With You...

Innocent Regret [Short Story]

 

It was a lazy afternoon, a little girl walked alone along the tree-lined streets, butterflies soaring everywhere crafting a loop in the air, there are students walking on the different sides of the street, with their mini backpacks swaying side to side as they run cheerfully along the road, greeting everyone with a sweet hello and flashing a very gentle smile, that’s the type of girl she is, a kind, cheerful and loving child.

 

She finally reached home, opening the tall gates, everything seem pretty quieter than usually. She walks slowly trying not to create unnecessary noises, passing by the garden and headed to the front door when she heard pleading screams from inside. She felt fear overcoming her senses but she still managed to get inside as soon as she can. As she enter from the front door she saw lifeless maids lying on the floor, bloods flowing everywhere, knives scattered all around, she began crying silently calling her mom and dad in a soft childish voice “Mommy, Daddy, where are you?” she mumbled surveying her surroundings, with her knees trembling in fear she went upstairs to the master’s bedroom, opening the door she saw her parents being stabbed by some unknown man in dark suits and masks, when one of the murderers felt her presence, they broke the window and escaped at once, all that’s left are the dead bodies of her parents. “Mommy, daddy” those are the only words was able to say…not able to move…she screamed in pain…and anger…

 

After that incident she was left with the care of her grandparents who are living at the city…even up to now she’s still living with her grandparents with the tragic moment still freshly installed in her memory…

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Sulli’s  POV

 

The bell started buzzing as an indication that it’s already dismissal, my classmates excitedly packed their things ready to experience their most awaited afternoon holiday, sigh, and all of them are rushing out the school, what for? They’re just gonna crowd around till midnight, going to bars and dancing all night…Then maybe I’ll just spend my afternoon spacing out, I can’t be with anyone else though…

 

“Hey, did you know that Jinki-sunbae asked me out, and we’ll be going out this coming Christmas, Oh My God, I can’t wait!” one of the girls in my class yelled with her face all red as if Justin Bieber asked her to marry him, I’d be more happy if God will talk to me and will say that I am already accepted in heaven, therefore I no longer need to worry about committing sins and will just kill myself right away, at least I’ll go to heaven, now Lee Jinki is out of my list, he’s already taken…

 

I packed my things cautiously making sure everything’s in my bag or else it will end up being displayed on the bulletin board saying “Sulli’s math computation paper” or such things like that…oh please, I don’t know what these people are thinking, and they’re just making fun of me…

 

As soon as I stood up from my seat someone called me from behind, I looked behind and what I saw is a rag flying straight to my face PAK!... the force exerted in throwing the rag is too great that I ended up falling on my , and it hurts.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, are you hurt?”

 

Am I hurt? Oh God, please wake me up from this nightmare, you threw a rag on my face and I fell on the floor how can I be okay?

 

“I’m okay” I stood up and brushes off the dirt out of my face, I can hear their laughter echoing inside the room

“Knew it, she’s not hurt, nothing can ever be more painful seeing your parents being murdered in front of you” one of the girls surrounding me whispered in a LOUD voice, these people are totally needing a rehab, They’re saying too personal things in a whisper tone that can be heard inside a whole classroom, now I feel like asking my grandmother to make an asylum and I’ll trap them there for the rest of their lives.

 

I want to run away from them but they are blocking all the possible ways for me to escape, my tears are about to go out of my eyes and they don’t have any rights to see my tears, not even my grandparents, even after my parent’s death, I never let them see my tears…and I never will…

 

I stood up and run as fast as I could, sorry for the people I’ll bump with, but I need to go now, I ran like a sprinter who is longing for the national trophy.

 

Now I reached the school backyard, no one’s here so I can cry all I can, wait, I’m not yet done packing my things, uh my notebook! But I am holding it as I ran towards here…think, think, think… uh oh… I bumped with someone at the hallway and…I dropped it!!! Get ready tomorrow; “Sulli’s diary” is probably posted on the bulletin board, and maybe if I’m gonna post something like THAT in my blog them my blog will be the most visited blog here in Seoul South Korea or maybe even at North Korea.

 

Now I just remembered my parents, I wonder if they’re still alive then maybe I’m still a town girl with my old friends living an ordinary life but now the extraordinary things became the ordinary for me…

 

I spaced out for almost a while, no more tears falling from my eyes, I’ll just buy a new diary…wait…the bookstore is almost in its closing time, I should hurry. I dashed out the school to the bookstore, from a distance I can see the manager closing the doors, no…I can still buy…I went near the shop.

 

“We’re on our closing time, just come back tomorrow” the tall guy said, he may be taller than me but I’m not scared of him.

 

“It’s just 5:55 and the closing time is 6:00, let me in!!” I pulled the doorknob of the glass door.

 

“Stop being stubborn, just go home!” he pushed me and I let go of the doorknob but someone from the inside interrupted our quarrel.

 

“I can take her orders, you can leave now, I’ll just lock the door before I leave” the cute guy on the cashier told the irritating tall guy and he left, I entered the store and get a new diary, I approached the counter where the cute guy is.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Taemin’S POV

 

“Seems like you need a new diary so badly” I said as I put the diary on the paper bag, she just simply nodded.

 

“Are you a student from Neul Paran High School?” I asked her based on the uniform she’s wearing

 

“Yeah, I’m Choi Jinri or they call me Sulli” she flashed me with a sweet smile

 

“I’m Lee taemin” I smiled back at her

 

“Can you be my friend?” she asked my childishly

 

“Sure, why not?” I gave her the paper bag and she accepted it with delight

 

“Then you’re my first friend” she smiled at me before taking step backward

 

“Se’ya around chingu” she said for the last time before totally going home…She doesn’t even remember me now, but its better this way…

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Sulli’s POV

 

Lee Taemin, my very first friend, I wonder if we’ll still be friends once he knew that I’m actually a solitary person. His face surely resembles his face…aishhh…why the hell is he entering my mind, erase, erase, erase. Don’t ever wanna remember him…I walked straight home for a good rest…

 

The next day, before going straight to my classroom I first check the bulletin board, surprisingly nothing’s there. Or maybe they’re planning something else, I entered the room but everything seems normal, it’s really suspicious, I checked my locker but it’s not there, It’s not at home either, days pass but nothing’s happening not even a single gossip about it. It’s very suspicious indeed…

 

The next week, I went to the bookstore again and bought another new note book or maybe just an excuse because I wanted to see HIM badly.

 

“You’re here again” he said as he put the note book on the paper bag. I just smiled at him and I said “I missed you chingu” I tried joking him and he patted my head…oh my…my heart was about to burst in no time, he’s trying to capture my heart by his cute smirk….oh no…I can’t..He’s a friend…And a friend…only…

 

“Then I shall go now” I went outside…but I still want to see him that’s why every week, I always drop by the bookstore to buy a diary even though I just wanted to see him.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

“It has been 6 consecutive weeks that you buy diaries are you really using all of them?” he curiously asked me…Seems like I’m gonna get busted this time "It’s not like I’m gonna buy it just for nothing” I laughed nervously but he just agreed on it he gave me the paper bag “Se’ya” I went out and went home…

 

First time in my life that I became this happy, I never thought having a friend could be this fun, even though I can just meet him once a week and not even an hour long, I still feel so happy having someone like him whom I can talk normally to. Mommy, daddy, I know you’re at heaven right now, you don’t have to worry about me, I’m already old enough, and I met a new friend, I hope I can always stay by his side, mom, dad, I’m really happy right now…

 

I hugged my pillow tightly as I travel into the midst of my dreamland…

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

It was still too early and as I got up the bed my surroundings are still spinning, I want to sleep… but wait…I can’t be late or else a punishment will be right ahead of me…I fixed myself and ate my breakfast.

 

I arrived at school but why does it seem like I am forgetting something?...wait…uh, I think…yeah, It’s my birthday! I released a soft chuckle; I never thought that it would come to this part where I’d forget my birthday. Now I’m 18 and I feel really old. I headed to my classroom and it’s still suspicious since there’s not a single gossip about my notebook. I sat on my chair and I can hear my classmates whispering to each other and I know their topic is no other that, the most popular gossip topic…me.

 

Who cares, it doesn’t really bother me, blah blah blah, I just remained sitting silently on my chair, getting one of my old notebooks I started my so called writing session, since it’s my birthday, maybe I’ll just celebrate it alone…again…

 

Hours pass, and I met different teachers, attended different classes but I doesn’t really feel at home, not even at my grandparent’s house, I never felt acceptance, not after my parent’s last goodbye.

 

My last class is nearly finished; I buried my head on the table, releasing a big sigh when Taemin came into my mind and why is it that whenever I’ll think of him the past also comes to my mind, just when I can already feel like moving on, it always destroy my concentration and ended up regretting it more, I just…wanna forget HIM badly.

 

The bell rang and when I was about to go out of the door my classmates ACCIDENTALLY bumped on me and I ended up lying on the floor with no one having an intention to help me stood up, remember it’s my birthday and they are treating me like this or…do they even know that it is my birthday.

 

I felt like someone is coming near me so I stood up like nothing happened but it left a bruise on my left hand since it rubbed on the rough surface of the door frame as they try to bump on me ACCIDENTALLY or INTENTIONALLY. Just when there are only few students left at the corridor that I decided to head home, it is also for my safety, so that I can make sure that no one will ACCIDENTALLY bump on me again.

 

Well, I just came to think of it, if I am a normal girl, I wonder if they’ll greet me normally and then they’ll ask me out to have dinner and celebrate my birthday together or maybe a surprise party, I smiled at myself but seems like it’s just more painful thinking of these things.

 

I march care freely passing by the open classrooms I started remembering my past few years of stay in this school even though nothing has changed yet, not even the way on how they treat me. It has been 30 minutes since the dismissal bell rang so the students are probably gone home now. I saunter down the stairways until I reached the locker room at the lobby, collecting up all my things I went out the building.

 

I inhaled the fresh outside air, and exhaled heavily, I continued walking and dropped by home, than I decided to go outside for a walk since not even my grandparents know anything about that there’s actually an event to be celebrated.

 

I walk unaccompanied at the empty road headed to the bridge; it felt quite familiar since this part of the city is not yet industrialized that much so the natural beauty is still preserved. I stride sloppily with trees swaying and dancing with the hymn of the wind, butterflies soaring free and high, birds chirping in harmony and fallen leaves slowly landing down the gray dusty road.

 

I can still recall when I was a child, my mom and dad would always bring me to the river side at our town and we’ll play there together, having picnic and eating together. Memories from the past, they’re more precious than the most beautiful gems and diamonds, nothing can ever replace them not just in my mind but also in my heart.

 

On my way, I saw the bookstore from a distance and decided to drop by since it’s my birthday!

 

I entered the store and Taemin greeted me with a smile, gosh, he’s so handsome…

 

“Buying something?” he asked

 

“Well, yeah” I grabbed a pen and put it on the counter

 

“Now it’s a pen” he cheerfully said and carefully packing it on the paper bag. “Anyway, wanna go to the bridge later? I’m off early today”

 

Let’s just think that he’s asking me for a date, even though he’s not.

 

“I’m actually on my way there when I decided to drop by the store, than let’s just go there together” I merrily answered his invitation

 

“Wait for me outside, I’ll just log out from the log book” someone took his shift and Taemin went inside the locker room while I go outside the store and just wait for him.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

We headed to the bridge together, it’s a little weird since silence enveloped the two of us, no one’s opening a topic to talk about and I don’t know what to talk about too. Just as when we reached our destination is when he started talking.

 

“I think we’re here now” he stopped walking and I just nodded. We sat at one of the benches and the silence still continued as if both of us wanted to say something but we can’t; I’ve felt this way with someone else before and I confessed to him…it didn’t even end up well though…don’t even know his name…I’m such a loser from the past…

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Taemin’s POV

 

It has been a while since we arrived here at the bridge and it doesn’t really seem like she’s enjoying, should I say something? Or maybe she doesn’t really wanna go with me…

 

“Hey, don’t you want here at the bridge?” I gathered all my courage up to ask her that question. She suddenly snapped out of her emotionless expression.

 

“Eh, no, I just remembered something, sorry for making you feel uncomfortable” she flashed me with a sweet smirk but I can say that she has teary eyes, and I don’t know why…

 

“It’s not that it’s making me feel uncomfortable but I’m just worried that, maybe you don’t really wanna go with me” I tried being honest with her coz’ I don’t want her to be upset but she just released a soft chuckle.

 

“Stop being so pessimist, there’s actually nothing wrong, to be honest, I am so happy that I have a friend like you…whom I can rely on” she bit her lips and bowed down.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Sulli’s POV

 

Gosh, I think I’m being too emotional right now, I can’t carry on like this, and I should change the topic.

 

“It feels really great here at the bridge right?  It’s good to think that our place is not yet that industrialized” He looked at me with a worried expression.

 

“Are you really feeling okay? Your eyes look so teary for while now” so he noticed it, should I tell him anything “I am a friend to rely on, right?” he gave me a gentle smile making me feel a little happier.

 

“But are you willing to listen?”

 

“Yeah, I’m willing”

 

“Do you live with your parents?” I asked

 

“Uh, yeah, with my mother, but my father is long gone” he seemed a little sad back when he said that

 

“It’s good that you have your mother with you, unlike me, I don’t have any…no mother…no father…no friends” I tried faking a smile “Both long dead” I clenched my fist  “Both murdered in front of my innocent eyes” I held my tears back and calmed myself.

 

“I bet that’s not the only reason you have teary eyes a while ago” I looked away from his eyes

 

“It’s actually because of an idiotic past which I want to forget”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

-Flashback-

 

It was long back then, I was still a kid, with my parents still the one taking care of me, I met a kid at the playground located at the park where I would usually play, I don’t know his name but I didn’t even dare ask him, I just tend to call him ‘Ice cream’ coz’ he always eat ice cream, and he call me ‘pancake’ coz I love pancake as much as he like ice cream.

 

We always play together, day by day, after classes we always meet at the park where my mom and dad will leave me and will pick me up at sunset.

 

And one day before Christmas, mom and dad had tons of work to do so I ended up waiting at the park with my other playmates already gone home.

 

I sat at one of the benches while waiting and ice cream sat beside me, he gave me a small flower “Why is the flower so small?” and he said “because you’re also small”

 

I may just be a kid back then, but deep inside I know that I like him then he gave another three small flowers “Then what are these flowers for?”, and he answered “Because I love you  so much that I wanted to give You flowers as a symbolization of my love for you” , then I told him “I Love You is only composed of three words so there should only be three flowers” he chuckled and told me that I was wrong, I asked him why, and you know what he answered? “It means ‘I Will Marry You’”

 

It felt so great hearing those words from him, the sunset came and my parents are not yet picking me up so I decided to go home myself, I stood up from the bench and bid him my goodbye.

 

I arrived home with but as I enter the house, my smile fade from my face and happiness is overcome with fear and that is when I saw my parents being murdered in front of me, but that’s not yet the end of my miserable past, days after my parents death, my grandmother picked me up from our house and decided to bring me here at the city to continue my studies, so before leaving I went to ice cream’s house first and on my way I met him, I called for his nickname and he looked at me, not even greeting me, I went near him and told him that I’ll be leaving soon and handed him a letter but he just slapped my hand and said “Throw that away, I don’t want anything from you, and who cares if you’ll go away, I think it’s  much better that a misfortune will be gone now”

 

“But you promised me to be your wife!!!”

 

“Oh, did I?, then I’m telling you, all people commit mistakes so I am considering that promise as the greatest mistake I’ve ever committed as a person!” he yelled and walked away from me.

 

Everything feels so painful back then, even though he knew that my parents died he still have the guts to shout at me like that, then I headed to the park and put the four flowers he gave me inside the letter envelope and I taped the envelope on the bench where we would usually sit, hoping he’ll notice it…and even up to now, I’m still wondering if he read what’s written in that letter.

 

 

-End of flashback-

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Taemin’s POV

 

She stood up from the bench and headed to the middle part of the bridge, she looked up at the afternoon sky, the clouds are changing its color, and the sun is setting at the west. She’s probably feeling lonely.

 

“Cry on me” I went near her.

 

“I’m okay” she bowed down and bit her lips; I pulled her and buried her face on my chest “I said cry on me, Sulli” 

 

I felt warm beads of tears escaping from her eyes, I hugged her tightly making sure never to let go of her…again…

 

“I never let anyone else see my tears, but how come that you’re able to do so, how come that you can see through me, who really are you?” her voice is still trembling

 

“I am your friend” a friend who’ll protect you…always…

 

“Taemin what if I fall for you?”

 

“Then I’ll catch you”

 

“Taemin” she called for my name silently

 

“What is it?”

 

“I think I’ve fallen for you already”

 

“Sulli” I called for her name

 

“What is it?” she replied

 

“I’ll never let go of you…never again…”

 

I hugged her tightly, treasuring each second as a precious memory I’ll never forget…

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all those who subscribed and commented!!!...:)

I really appreciate your comments...

Now I released a new chapter of my first oneshot story...

Please look forward to my next update!

Hope you'll like it!!!

Thanks for your time...

And drop by again sometime!!!

-Rukia_Yui216-