Chapter 3

x are kisses and o are hugs
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kai is scribbling something on a paper, making you intrigued. You ask "What are you doing?" Kai smiles and passes you the paper. You let out a chuckle at his silly invitation of playing ticktacktoe. He asks "Wanna play?" You reply "Sure, why not?" scooting closer. He makes the first move by placing an X on the top right.

You place an O under it and the game goes on for almost half an hour after repeating every time each of you lose. Mrs. Jung enters and greets the class. Kai's fingers are still scribbling something on a brand new piece of paper. Mrs. Jung starts to write on the board, you take out your book and start copying the notes.

Kai then folds the paper in four and keeps it in his pocket. He taps his pencil on the table and stands up. You blink, D.O says "Haneul-ah, did you hear?" You ask "What?" D.O answers "The exchange program." You reply "Yeah, your friends are coming back right?" D.O says "They're your friends too."

You smile and ask "Did Jongin say anything to you? He seems troubled again today." D.O answers "Not for me to say but for you to ask." You reply "Hm, I guess."

- - - - -

As the both of you walk home, Kai takes something out of his pocket and passes it to you. You ask "What's this?" Kai smiles and answers "A surprise." You are about to unfold the paper but Kai stops you. You ask "What?" Kai replies "You can't open it till I tell you so." You smile and keep it in your purse.

Kai says "Haneul-ah..." You look at him and reply "Hm?" Kai asks "If you had 8 seconds to live, what would you do?" You reply "Why 8? Why not a minute?" Kai lets out a soft laugh and answers "Just a question." You say "Hm... I'd make it count." Kai stops you, you blink and ask "Why? What's wrong?"

Kai shook his head and says "Nothing." You ask "You've been acting weird Jongin, are you alright?" Kai answers "I'm fine, perhaps just lack of sleep." You ask "How's mummy?" Kai lets out a small sigh, exhaling all his problems and inhaling them back.

Kai replies "Same old, same old. She misses you though." You say "Aw, I miss her too." Kai asks "Haneul-ah, say if you were to die in the nearest time, what would you want to do?" You answer "Easy. Spend more time with the ones I loved plus what's with this melodramatic questions?"

Kai replies "Nothing, I figured maybe you had a bucket list or whatever." You say "Nah, that's too much then." Kai asks "Don't you wish to fulfil them?" You answer "Just because I wish for them doesn't mean I want them." Kai replies "Then, why did you hope for them in the first place?" You say "Cause I didn't know I would've been with you."

Kai asks "So you're saying that everything is worth it if its with me?" You nod your head and reply "Exactly." Kai asks "Why?" You answer "Because you're my everything and I will be nothing if it weren't for you." Kai looks at you, his eyes glistening but you didn't catch it. Kai then pulls you in an embrace, surprising you.

Please log in to read the full chapter