Time

Exo One-Shot Collection

They told him it was a matter of time. 

They said soon.
 
He thought the same.
 
"Soon" wasn't just a few more months, it turned out to be a few yearsHe had waited, hoped, strived. And each time he was this close to success, something would happen, something would stop him from achieving his dream. It was as if God was telling him not to continue going down this path, but he was sure that this was what he wanted to do. He wouldn't belong anywhere else.
 
This was where he belonged.
 
*
 
Kim Junmyeon. He would describe himself as simply ordinary. There were so many things he thought he wasn't cut out for, but he believes that the hard work will be worth it. He knows that everything happens for a reason, even when he cannot comprehend why, he just knows. 
 
He has often thought of giving up, but he always told himself, he was almost there. If he were to stop halfway and give up when he was already at the brink of success in living out his dream, he would definitely live his whole life in regret. He probably wouldn't forgive himself.
 
He looks out the window, pondering. Was it all really worthwhile? He turns back to look at eleven pairs of curious eyes, waiting for him. He smiles. It was probably worth it, for all twelve of them to be together. It was what he would call fate. It was destiny. 
 
*
 
Through his six years of what could only be described as a journey of agony, he had met many different people on the way. Some came and gone, some stuck till the end. He had eleven other members as his companion now, but none of them had experienced the things he did. A few of the others maybe, but members like Baekhyun and Jongdae were able to debut in just a year. It was probably a rush for them as well, so they both have different kinds of stress. Junmyeon personally thought that he had received much more pressure compared to the both of them, because whatever he had gone through was agonizing, physically and mentally. 
 
Waiting was like part of his life, he spent most of his years waiting for that chance, waiting for the right moment. Yet each time, they told him it wasn't his turn yet, and he had to see his friends debut before him, as he spent another year training while waiting. He never quite liked waiting, to be honest. 
 
At the corner of the practice room, he sits down by himself, feeling a little nostalgic when he sees the other members practicing hard. His goes through a flashback, remembering when he was with Jonghyun, Taemin and Key, and how he had cried by himself in the toilet after he watched them debut with two others as SHINee. He missed his chance, the one that he had long waited for, because he had hurt himself during training.
 
He has cried a lot through all the years, because it was really tough. Training itself drained out his energy, and every night his body would ache in pain and he could only manage to sleep for a few hours, waking up the next day only to go through the same routine. Many others wondered why he would choose this path, when he could have gone on a better route, what with him born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Some even said his parents bribed the company to take him in to gain popularity. The day he first heard such news was probably the day he cried the most.
 
Initially, when he was accepted as a trainee, it was exciting as well as frightening since everything was all new to him. He had to go to so many different lessons - vocal classes, dancing classes, language classes and more. He also had to learn on how broadcasting programs were like, what to say, how to answer certain questions, and ways to avoid falling into traps that might lead to rumors.
 
It was interesting but Junmyeon had to admit, he missed his life as a normal teenager. It was his decision to go along this career and he would have to face whatever life throws at him. Maybe he could have been studying and playing football with his classmates, but he knew that he wanted to be closer to music, to share good music to others. He was passionate, and he loved being on stage, to share the music he loved with everyone in the world, it was his dream.
 
It wasn't all too bad, he supposed that all these difficult years had molded him to become a better person. He found himself becoming more optimistic. Every time he was discouraged, he was able to give himself comfort even though sometimes he would let himself cry to feel better. He wasn't very comfortable to pent all the emotions inside, so he'd rather vent it all out. 
 
He believed that in every bad thing, there is a good thing, and that everything happens for a reason. He told himself he couldn't debut yet because he was either not well-prepared enough, or that something better was in store for him. He could always talk to the other trainees as they were the only ones who could fully understand what he was going through. They were somehow there for each other, always watching for one another. It was comforting.
 
Five years of waiting, and Junmyeon thinks he finally understands why it took so long when he was told he was becoming the leader of a group of six, including himself. Even when the leader of the other group, Kris, was assigned the leader of the whole group of twelve, Junmyeon worried a lot on taking up such an important role. He wasn't sure if he was fit to be a leader, but he had to try.
 
Junmyeon had known some of the members for quite some time, as they practiced together for the past few years. The rest were still taking time to adapt, especially Baekhyun and Jongdae, but Chanyeol and the rest were there to handle that. Junmyeon sighs, wondering what to say and how to start when all eleven of them gather around. Wufan, or more preferably known as Kris, stands beside him, giving him encouragement. 
 
"Er, kids, from this year onwards, the twelve of us are going to work hard together, and since we are indeed a group, I want you all to be able to share your thoughts with each other. We are a family now, so it's alright, despite our language barrier," he slightly glances at the four taller people from China, who smile back, (except for Lay who is in quite a daze, and Tao who fails to understand), "please know that if there is anything you can come to me. Or Wufan."
 
Nine heads nod in unison, along with two delayed nods. 
 
Wufan pats Junmyeon on the back, and Junmyeon returns a weak smile.
 
"I don't know who else could fit to be leader besides you. I mean it." Wufan adds, trying to assure Junmyeon that he is doing a good job, which he is.
 
"You do very well yourself, Wufan. Let's work better in these years together." Junmyeon extends his hand and Kris shakes it.
 
"Kids, come gather for a group cheer."
 
"We are one! Exo, sarang haja!" Twelve different voices chorus in unison.
 
 
Six years and Junmyeon was able to stand on a real stage for the first time. They did a rehearsal before the actual performance, and everyone was feeling tensed. Junmyeon felt his palms sweating. The other five members were also nervous, afraid that they would screw up or make obvious mistakes. After practicing once through, things were fine, and they presumed they were ready. Quite a number of fans were there to cheer for them, and Junmyeon was glad. It gave them a lot of hope and energy. 
 
Junmyeon made them do another group cheer before their actual performance, and they gave each other encouragement and hugs. They prayed for the members in China who would also make their debut there. They read through the messages in their phone ten minutes before going up stage and passing their phones to their manager.
 
One message : Leader Wufan
Good luck you guys. Can you believe it, we're finally going up stage. Lets all do our best. You can do this, Suho! ^^
Junmyeon smiles. Up on stage he'll be known as Suho, the guardian angel of eleven wonderful boys.
 
He sends a message back,
Kris, good luck to you too and tell the boys we are thinking of them. Let's show our best side. Jiayou! 
 
*
 
The staff informs EXO-K to stand in line and wait for their turn to go up stage. Their breaths are jagged and shaky. Suho trembles when he actually stands in position on stage. Yes, he was Suho now and he tried his best to calm himself down, now that thousand pairs of eyes were watching. The music blares and he focuses himself on the dance that he has practiced for those past few months, the lights glaring as they dance on stage. 
 
After all that was over, he could not describe how glad he was, he was so ecstatic he think he could cry out in front of s. He wanted to treasure that moment forever, it was a moment of bliss. It was his turn now, finally his time to shine as the angel of EXO.
 
*
 
"Joonmaaaa." Tao whines.
 
"Yes?" Junmyeon comes back to reality.
 
"Did you just ignore everything I said?" 
 
Junmyeon smiles sheepishly at a pouting Tao, scratching the back of his neck.
 
"We're all hungry so can we get some pizza?"
 
"Sure, why not?"
 
Junmyeon looks at the other eleven members, dripping in sweat. All those tiring years with his lovable members as an exchange... Sometimes, he thinks, all of this was worth the wait.