Pain

Wingless

            What he should've done was call the police. He should've turned in the criminal without a moment of hesitation. The man was for God's sake. That should've indicated a disturbance in his mentality; the skinny intruder was a crazy madman at the very least. Eric had read about weird people like this in the newspapers, creeps who would enjoy hurting their victims in their birthday suit. And this psychologically impaired freak had been in his backyard. Eric should've been scared, terrified, disgusted, at least a little bit weirded out.

            Except he wasn't. He was a little stunned to find a person outside his house, but he wasn't freaked out in the slightest. He had dressed the intruder in his own clothes as if he was a little girl with a pretty doll in her possession. He had placed the unconscious man on his sofa and had even been generous enough to put a soft blanket over him. Eric sat across the snoozing stranger, watching him intently as he questioned his own sanity.

            What the hell are you doing, Eric?!

            He was crazy, probably crazier than the man lying on his couch. But something felt so right... Like he knew this person since a distant time called forever. And it didn't help that this man looked like his best friend from his childhood.

            "Who's Pilkyo?"

            There was no way this man knew the dead boy. Nor was there any slim chance in the universe that he actually was him.

            "Junghyuk ah."

            Then how the hell did this man know of his birth name? He had changed his name to Eric when he had moved to the city in a desperate attempt to escape his previous life.

            "Who are you..." he murmured at the unmoving body, his mind whirling at a rapid pace, trying to put all the missing pieces together. Suddenly, his phone vibrated on a nearby table.

            "Hello?" Eric answered quickly, glad to have a distraction.

            "Eric hyung?"

            Eric cracked a smile to hear the familiar voice. "Hey, Andy. What's up?"

            "I just dropped off Minwoo hyung and Wannie hyung. I wanted to make sure you were alright."

            Eric sighed as he returned his gaze to the stranger passed out on his sofa. "I gotta hand it to your skills of intuition. You've got quite a talent, Andy."

            "What do you mean? Did something happen?!" There was definite panic in his dongseng's voice.

            "No, no, don't worry," Eric said, trying to calm him down. "I just found someone outside my house--"

            "WHAT--"

            "Hey, hey, it's alright. He's sleeping right now and he seems pretty harmless--"

            "You let him in?!"

            "I mean, he kind of fainted in my backyard--"

            "Hyung, I'm gonna head over to your place right now. It's so dangerous--"

            "No, don't do that, it's so late at night and I'll be fine--" Eric jumped a little in his seat when he found two black pools of curiosity goggling him. "Andy, he just woke up. Don't come. I'll just call you back later."

            "Wait, hyung--"

            Eric hung up before Andy could finish his sentence. He watched as the man smiled sleepily at him, reminding him of an adorable kitten he had once found next to the subway on his way to work.

            "Hi," the man seemed to purr. "Who was that?"

            "A friend," Eric managed to choke back.

            "You looked so happy talking to him. Was he your lover?"

            "What?! No! And it's none of your business," Eric snapped in irritation.

            The man laughed as he slowly sat up and cocked his head cutely at Eric. "Were you watching me sleep?"

            At his words, Eric felt his face burning up. "Uh, no," he lied instantly. "I was just about to call the police."

            "And why would you do that?" he asked without an ounce of fear in his voice.

            "Because you intruded into private property? ?" Eric crossed his arms to emphasize how ridiculous the situation was.

            "Oh, sorry about that," the man looked down at his own body. "And thanks for the clothes, although your taste in clothes is pretty bad."

            So, this stranger was just brushing off the fact that he had just committed a serious felony and was bold enough to criticize his fashion sense?!

            "I didn't want to be , you know," the man continued. "I'm kind of self-conscious of my body... But you know, Heaven doesn't really care about that when it's kicking you out. Being is supposed to symbolize shame, blah, blah, blah..."

            "What?" Eric shouted louder than he meant to. "Did you just say--"

            "That Heaven kicked me out?" the man cracked a smile again, and Eric was briefly captivated by how blindingly beautiful he was. There was an inhumane aura around his being that Eric had never seen before, so lovely and glorious, as if he was not even from this world. It was as if he wasn't even human, as if he was a god, a holy spirit, or an...

            "An angel," the man finished his thoughts. Eric watched him in disbelief. "I'm an angel. Or was an angel, anyway," he continued on matter-of-factly. "My wings are broken and I can't return to Heaven until they're healed."

            "You've got to be ting me."

            "Hey, hey, mind your language, mister. I don't appreciate that kind of talk, even on earth."

            "Cut the crap," Eric snarled. "You must think I'm some , but I'm not some stupid idiot who would buy your 'angel' bull."

            "You know what I think? I think you've got a bad mouth that you gotta wash out with soap," the man scolded, crossing his arms. "And if I wasn't an angel, how would I know that your name is Mun Junghyuk?"

            "I don't know. Maybe you're a stalker?" Eric retorted in defense.

            "And you sounded like you knew me, too. You called me... Pilkyo? Who's that?"

            "A friend. He passed away a long time ago."

            "I'm sorry," the man said, sounding truly sympathetic that Eric felt a strange tingle of comfort pass his soul. "Well, I might not be Pilkyo, but my name's Hyesung."

            "Hyesung..." Eric let that name linger on his lips. It felt powerful, significant... something he would definitely not forget for a long time.

            "And I know that your name is Mun Junghyuk because I have been sent to you from Heaven," Hyesung explained. "The Father believes you're the one who can heal my wings."

            "By 'Father' you mean... God?" Eric asked in shock.

            "Obviously." Hyesung chuckled at the stunned expression on Eric's face. "And I'm so glad that you were so eager to let me stay. If I had been sent to another human, who knows what would've happened--"

            "Who said I was letting you stay?!" Eric exclaimed in outrage.

            Hyesung stared at him in confusion. "Well, you dressed me in your clothes, laid me on your couch, and placed a blanket over me. Don't humans do those things only when they are being welcoming?"

            "Shut up! I live alone, do you understand?" Eric stated firmly. "I lived alone since--"

            Since my mother died. Since everyone I ever loved left me.

            "Well, you'll just have to it up, Junghyuk," Hyesung told him with his thin lips in a mischievous grin. Eric could not help, but be shocked again at how much it reminded him of Pilkyo's signature smile. How was it possible that the two looked so alike?

            Eric tried to shake himself out of it. "W-What if I want you to leave?"

            "Well, that's too bad." Hyesung looked into his eyes, and Eric felt himself being petrified by those mesmerizing pools of pure black. Eric felt his will bending at the command of this person's-- no, this being, this creature's-- voice.

            Suddenly, Hyesung jerked forward and the spell was broken. Eric knew his body was freed yet he found himself rushing to the "angel"'s side. "What's wrong?" he asked in genuine worry when he found Hyesung's whole body shaking in pain.

            Hyesung led Eric's fingers to his back where there were violent gashes and a trail of ugly claw marks. Eric let out a gasp when his fingertips were painted red, soaked in the other's blood. How had he not noticed these vicious wounds earlier?

            "Please, Junghyuk," Hyesung pled in a trembling voice. "Please let me stay."

            Eric wrapped his arms around the man, or "angel" rather, and felt his heartbeat thudding against his chest. "You're in pain," was all he could whisper as if the pain was his own to embrace. He sighed, knowing he had no other choice and that if destiny truly existed, this was it.


[A/N]: Hey, guys! It's been so long! I'm so sorry, I've been busy with school, but now I've hit spring break YAYAYAY! I'll be updating my other fics too (hopefully TT) and so sorry if my writing seems a bit off, I think I'm a bit shaky since I haven't been writing for a while :( But I'll get back on track! I really hope you guys like this chapter and I'll work harder to make my fics better and more exciting! Please continue commenting and upvoting, they realllllly help me and motivate me to keep going~ I'll edit this soon, too, so don't mind the bad mistakes >.< Hope you guys are all well! Love you <3 <3 <3