The ball

It started with a bet

"He's so cute! You have chosen your man well, Youngeul. You sure have", Yeonjoo giggled as she, Youngeul and the rest were walking by the school grounds, waiting for the grand dinner to begin.

"He. Is. Not. My. Man", Youngeul said through gritted teeth.

"Yet", Yeonjoo finished. Youngeul stared at her, but said nothing.

"Yeah, we were so wrong about him. He's just an innocent ball of cuteness", Seyi giggled. Woojin elbowed Youngeul.

"But how do we know if he's innocent", he winked. Youngeul blushed and looked to the ground.

"But you can't deny that he isn't good looking", Yunji shrugged.

"Heyy, let's not make Youngeul any more jealous, she's going to think that some of us -except for you, Hyunjun and Woojin- is going to steal him from her", Yeonjoo scolded playfully. Youngeul couldn't help but break into a faint grin, and shook her head at her friends.

 

The grand dinner was just about the start. Youngeul and the rest were in front of the cafeteria, waiting for Gunwoo to appear. Yeonjoo and the rest were talking about something, but Youngeul didn't care less. She tried to look for Gunwoo over the sea of students that were waiting for the grand dinner to begin, but didn't see him. The doors to the cafeteria were opened, and the students started to flood in. Youngeul felt a tap on her shoulder. She looked at her left and saw Gunwoo. 'Hey', he mouthed and smiled.

"Hey! You came! Let's go eat, I'm starving", Yeonjoo said and they headed in.

 

The dinner went smoothly, Gunwoo being shy at first, but after a while, he started to participate in the conversation, too. The jokes were laughed at, and Yeonjoo threw some teases towards Youngeul and Gunwoo every once in a while. Both blushing and looking down to the table every time.

 

After the dinner, Seyi, Yunji, Hyunjun and Woojin said goodbye, heading to their respective homes to get ready for the ball. Youngeul and Yeonjoo were going to get ready together.

"So, am I going to pick you up or something?" Gunwoo asked Youngeul.

"Umm-"

"Yes!", Yeonjoo interrupted. Youngeul looked at her, confused.

"We are going to get ready at my place. Here's my address, come there at 7.30, my date comes by then too. We can go together", she handed him a piece of paper. Gunwoo nodded and said goodbye, walking away. Youngeul. and Yeonjoo walked to Youngeul's house. They went to her room and Youngeul pulled the dress from her closet.

"Holy, that dress is gorgeous!", Yeonjoo exclaimed. Youngeul grinned widely.

"What shoes are you going to wear?", Yeonjoo asked. Youngeul fell silent. 'I haven't thought of that', she thought.

"Uh, I don't know? These?", she pulled black flats from the bottom of her drawer.

"Oh, no no no. Youngeul, I'm going to lend you shoes, let's go", Yeonjoo shook her head. The both of them packed things that were needed up, and headed to Yeonjoo's place.

 

"Don't put that much make up on me!", Youngeul whined as Yeonjoo did her make up. Yeonjoo chuckled.

"What? This isn't even much", she said. Youngeul pouted, but kept quiet. After a while Yeonjoo handed her a mirror.

"Do you like it?", Yeonjoo asked. Youngeul looked at the mirror and gasped slightly.

"Yes", she said quietly. The make up highlighted her eyes and lips. She looked beautiful.

"I told you you could trust me! What did you think? That I would make you look like a hoe?", she faked hurt. Youngeul looked at her, and nodded sarcastically. They laughed.

 

At almost 7.30, the bell rang. Youngeul was still getting into her dress, so Yeonjoo went to answer the door. She opened the door, and saw her date and Gunwoo. She invited them in. They sat on her couch, waiting for Youngeul to come down. After a few minutes, Youngeul came down the stairs, carrying the shoes Yeonjoo lent her.

"Hey", she said to him as she walked closer to him. 'God, he looks so good in that suit', she thought.

"Hi", he said. Yeonjoo jumped in between of them.

"Let's go! I'm so excited", she sang, and linked arms with her date. The four of them started to walk towards the school. Yeonjoo jumped around, grabbing to her date's arm. Youngeul and Gunwoo just walked next to each other, a little behind Yeonjoo and her date.

"You look stunning, by the way", Gunwoo said. Youngeul looked at him and blushed madly.

"You don't look so bad yourself", she said. They looked at each other, and after a moment, Gunwoo started to lean closer to her. Their faces were a mere inches apart when they heard a voice.

"Hey, come on!", Yeonjoo shouted. They had started to walk slower without noticing. Yeonjoo skittered to them.

"And why aren't you two linking arms? You're each others dates for the night, for God's sake", she said and linked their arms. Yeonjoo smirked in satisfaction seeing Youngeul's and Gunwoo's flushed faces, and went back to her date. They got in front of the school's hall where the ball was being held. It was already crowded there. They saw Seyi, Yunji, Woojin and Hyunjun with their dates waving at them. Yunji and Seyi came running -if you can call scampering in heels running- to Youngeul.

"Girl, you look mighty fine this evening", Yunji said to her. Seyi nodded madly. Woojin came to her.

"I totally agree", he said. Gunwoo frowned and tightened his hold of their linked arms. The students started to walk into the hall as the doors opened. Every group of friends were given a table to sit. Youngeul and others along their dates sat on their table. After a few introductions, all of them hurried to the dance floor.

 

"Do you want something to drink?", Gunwoo asked Youngeul after they had danced to a few songs.

"Sure, thanks, I'll be at our table", she answered. Gunwoo nodded and left. Youngeul was getting to their table, as someone gripped her wrist. She spun around and saw a boy.

"Well, hello there, beautiful. I'm Dohyun. Do you want to dance?" he asked, smirking. Youngeul looked at him for a moment, before recognizing him. 'It's the senior who bullied Gunwoo', she thought and scowled at him.

"I'm sorry, no thank you", she said. Dohyun raised his eyebrows.

"No? Come on, come to dance" he insisted.

"I'm sorry", she said and turned to her table, but again she was stopped. The grip was now stronger, though.

"You should be more respectful to your elders", he sneered. He started dragging her towards the dance floor, when Gunwoo stepped in front of him.

"I think she said that she didn't want to dance", he said darkly.

"Who are you to say anything to me, loser", Dohyun laughed insultingly. Gunwoo said something that Youngeul couldn't comprehend, but Dohyun's reaction wasn't good. He punched Gunwoo right to his jaw. Youngeul and other people around them gasped and before Gunwoo could punch back, Youngeul shook her wrist off Dohyun's grip and jumped to him.

"No, don't", Youngeul said. Gunwoo looked at her, as the teachers came to the scene.

"Who started this?", one of them roared. Youngeul pointed at Dohyun.

"Him! He punched Gunwoo to the jaw", she said. The teachers dragged Dohyun outside.

 

"Are you okay?", Youngeul asked, tilting Gunwoo's jaw to see the bruise that was forming there. They had sat down to their table, and the ball had turned back to normal after Dohyun was kicked out.

"Yeah, no problem", he assured. Youngeul softly poked the bruise, Gunwoo hissing lightly.

"You call this okay?", she asked. Gunwoo grinned half-heartedly. Youngeul shook her head, grinning lightly.

"And now is the first slow dance of the night, grab your dates and gather to the dance floor!", someone announced through the speakers. Gunwoo and Youngeul looked at each other, smiled and headed to the dance floor together. They found a little space and stopped there. They looked at each other, blushing lightly, and Gunwoo put his arms awkwardly to Youngeul's waist. Youngeul blushed and hooked her arms around his neck. They started to sway to the slow beat of the song. At the middle of the song, Gunwoo put his arms fully around Youngeul's waist, pulling her closer. He softly bumped their foreheads together. Youngeul looked at him, confusion written on her face. Gunwoo smiled softly, looking at her eyes.

"Oh my god, look at them. Aww, they're so cute", they heard a whisper. Youngeul looked up, and saw Seyi and Yeonjoo giggling at the two of them. Gunwoo and Youngeul blushed madly, he loosening his grip on her waist. The song ended, and a fast one begun.

 

Everybody just enjoyed their time at the ball. The time flew fast, it was almost midnight.

"Aww man, it's almost time to leave", Yunji whined.

"Yeah, this night was so much fun", Seyi agreed.

"Hey girls! Let's go and dance the last song, I think we can leave the boys for this dance", Yeonjoo said and glanced at her date, who shrugged, grinning. Woojin's and Hyunjun's dates also agreed, saying it was a good idea.

"Youngeul, come!", Yeonjoo grinned to Youngeul. Youngeul looked at Gunwoo.

"Go", he said. Youngeul smiled widely and went with the other girls to jump around the dance floor.

 

"Bye~", Youngeul said cutely to Yeonjoo as she said goodbye to her. They were in front of the school gates, Seyi, Yunji, Woojin and Hyunjun had already disappeared with their dates after the fireworks.

"Byeee", Yeonjoo hugged Youngeul.

"Don't do anything you would regret", Yeonjoo whispered to her. Youngeul looked at her confused, until after a few seconds she got it and blushed deeply. Yeonjoo said goodbye once more before shuffling off with her date. Gunwoo and Youngeul started to walk.

"Are you in a hurry to go home? Because I thought if we could go to the park for a while", Gunwoo said after a while. Youngeul looked we can at him.

"No, I'm not in a hurry. We can go", she smiled. It didn't take long for them to get to the park near the school. They sat on a bench.

"Um, Youngeul", Gunwoo started. He took something from the inside pocket of his suit jacket. Youngeul's eyes widened. 'It's the headband I've wanted to buy forever', she thought and gasped.

"It's for you", he smiled, "Can I put in on your head?". Youngeul nodded, still in shock. He put in on her head, softly brushing her hair.

"Thank you", she said, touching the headband tenderly. Gunwoo smiled.

"Youngeul, you know you're my only friend, right?" he asked, looking her straight at her eyes.

"Yeah?" she said. Gunwoo took a hold of her other hand.

"Yeah, after these few weeks with you, I think they have been the best weeks of my life. I mean it. And you have really brought me out of my shell, you really have that something", he chuckled and continued, "And you really were the first one who didn't judge me from the loner title I apparently have, thinking I was some kinda freak or something. You came and talked to me, I don't know what great I've done to deserve you. I think- No. I don't think, I do like you. I like you a lot, really a lot. W-would you be my g-girlfirend?"

 

A/N: Aaaaaaah, sorry for the wait, school is really taking up all my time >_<