The mall

It started with a bet

"Why can't you hang out with me after school!?", Yeonjoo pouted as Youngeul was on her locker grabbing some books.

"Gunwoo and I are going to buy our outfits for the ball", Youngeul said quietly and closed her locker.

"Did he ask you to be his avec?", Yeonjoo gasped. Youngeul blushed and nodded slowly.

"I knew it!", Yeonjoo squealed loudly and some people in the hallway looked at them weirdly. As they walked outside from school towards the gate, Yeonjoo nudged Youngeul.

"Look, your man is looking at us", she whispered to Youngeul. Youngeul looked where she was looking and saw Gunwoo, looking at her from afar. They locked eyes and smiled at each other.

"See you today", Gunwoo mouthed at her. Youngeul grinned and nodded, and then breaking the eye contact.

"You two are so cute!", Yeonjoo giggled as they walked out of school gate.

"How's our bet going on, by the way? You're still in, right?", Yeonjoo asked out of the blue.

"Of course!", Youngeul said, dreaming about Lotte World. Yeonjoo chuckled and shook her head.

 

Gunwoo arrived to the mall exactly on 4.30pm. He didn't see Youngeul yet. 'I can't believe she actually agreed to go with me to the ball', he thought and smiled to himself. He looked up and saw Youngeul looking confusedly around, trying to find him. 'She's so cute', he thought and approached her. He walked behind her.

"Hey", he whispered in her ear. Youngeul jumped and turned around, eyes wide.

"Don't scare me like that!", she said holding her heart dramatically and laughed.

"Ok, ok, sorry", Gunwoo chuckled and they headed to the mall.

"Where should we go first", Youngeul asked.

"It depends if you want to look for a suit, or a gown first", he said. She thought for a moment.

"We can look for a suit first", she smiled. Gunwoo nodded and they looked for a shop that sells suits. As they found one, they stepped in and a young, chirpy female seller hurried their way.

"Hello there! Can I help you?", the seller said to Gunwoo.

"We are looking for a suit with my friend here", he said, looking at Youngeul. The seller didn't even glance at her.

"Great! Follow me", the seller grabbed Gunwoo's wrist and led him to the suits. Youngeul frowned and silently followed.

"We have black, dark blue, gray and white suits. What color would you like? I think dark blue suit would suit you the best", the seller beamed, still holding Gunwoo's wrist. Gunwoo looked lost.

"Um, Youngeul. What color would you like?", he asked. Youngeul pursed her lips, thinking.

"Black is always trendy, I guess", she said.

"Yeah, I would like black", Gunwoo agreed. The seller looked briefly at Youngeul, scowling lightly. She looked back to Gunwoo.

"Good choice", she said, dragging him to black suits, once again leaving Youngeul behind. Gunwoo looked at Youngeul, shrugging. 'Why is this seller so clingy?', he thought, trying to get free from her grip, but she only tightened it.

"What is your size? Would you like to try it on?", the seller asked, blinking her eyes repeatedly. Gunwoo nodded, told her his size. The seller gave him the suit and he went to the fitting rooms. Youngeul and the seller waited outside, the latter glaring at Youngeul. 'What is exactly her problem?', Youngeul thought. An older female seller walked up to them.

"Heemin, there's another customer. Can you please go and serve him?", she told to the seller. Heemin's face fell.

"What? Why can't you do it? But-", she started.

"Go", the older seller ordered. Heemin's shoulders slumped and she shuffled away.

"I'm sorry with our Heemin, she's still new and she just can't understand that she can't flirt with customers. Especially if they have they're girlfriend with them", the older seller apologized and shook her head as Heemin was out of their vision. Youngeul blushed.

"But he's not my boy-", Youngeul started, but was interrupted as the door of the fitting room opened, and Gunwoo stepped out. Youngeul gasped silently.

"How is it?", he asked nervously. The seller started to fix his bow tie. Gunwoo gave the new seller a confused look, but also looked relieved that the clingy seller was gone.

"It's perfect", she whispered. Gunwoo's face turned a light shade of pink. They looked at each other.

"You really think so?", he said quietly. The seller gave them a warm look.

"If you need me, I'll be on the cashier", she said and backed away from the scene.

"Yes, I really love it", Youngeul said sincerely. Gunwoo smiled widely, still locking eyes with her.

"Should we buy it then?", he asked. She nodded her head eagerly. Gunwoo walked to the cashier with Youngeul, bought the suit and walked out from the shop, Heemin giving hard glares to Youngeul from afar.

 

"What kind of gown are you looking for?", Gunwoo asked as they walked around the mall, trying to find a shop that sells ball gowns. They already went to a couple of shops, but they didn't sell ball gowns and even if a few did, Youngeul said they weren't her style.

"I'm not sure. Well not pink, that one gown I tried was pink and... Ugh", she said, cringing. Gunwoo laughed.

"Hey look, there's a shop we haven't been yet", Gunwoo said and pointed to a shop on their front left. It was small, barely noticeable, and it was in the corner of the mall's hallway.

"We walked past here once, right? Why didn't we notice it? Let's go in", Youngeul said and walked in the shop, Gunwoo behind her. There was no one inside the shop except for them. They heard a few noises from the room behind the counter. A middle aged woman stepped to behind the counter, looking startled when she saw them, but smiled widely a few seconds later.

"Oh my, what can I do for this cute young couple?", she asked. Both of them blushed and looked at each other.

"We are looking for a gown for my avec. We have a ball coming up", Gunwoo said. The woman giggled a little.

"Okay, what kind of gown do you want?", she asked Youngeul. 

"Not pink", she muttered. Gunwoo chuckled.

"I just got a wonderful gown yesterday, and it's not pink!  Let me get it for you", the woman smiled and hurried to the room behind the counter. She brought out the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. It was dark purple, and it didn't have anything grand on it, just a few small decorations here and there. It didn't have this enormous tulle bottom, but it had an elegant puff.

"I love it", she said. The woman smiled, glad.

"Do you want to try it on?", she asked. Youngeul nodded, beaming. The woman led her to the room behind the counter and told her to change there.

"I'm sorry, my shop doesn't have a fitting room, I hope this is okay", she smiled apologetically and left the room. She went back to Gunwoo.

"What kind of ball are you going to?", she asked him.

"Our school is having an anniversary festival, and they are going to throw a ball in the evening", he told her. She nodded and asked a few more questions about their school and the festival. Their conversation died down when Youngeul came out of the room. 'Holy...', Gunwoo thought, in loss of words. He stared at Youngeul.

"I'm going to steal your line, Gunwoo. How is it?", she asked. Gunwoo didn't say anything, just stared, until he felt an elbow knocking him lightly in the ribs. She looked at the woman and she looked at him with just-tell-her-she-looks-amazing-look. He looked back at her.

"Y-you look", he stuttered, "beautiful". Youngeul smiled widely while hiding her blush under her hair.

"I think we're going to buy this. How much is it?", Youngeul beamed.

"It's 380.000₩", the woman said. Youngeul's smile faded.

"I didn't bring that much money with me", Youngeul whispered and went back to the room behind the counter to change back to her on clothes. An awkward silence fell to the shop. Gunwoo whispered something to the woman as Youngeul came from the room holding the dress.

"Come here", Gunwoo said as he and the woman moved to the counter. Youngeul looked at them confused, but moved to the counter.

"Hand me the dress, and the money you brought with you", the woman smiled widely. Youngeul looked at the woman weirdly and shifted her gaze to Gunwoo. 'Just do it', he mouthed at her. She nodded and did what she was told. Gunwoo took his wallet out of his pocket and gave the woman the missing money. She accepted the money, folded the dress and put the dress in a red bag. She gave it to Gunwoo. Gunwoo thanked her, took Youngeul's wrist and walked out of the door, Youngeul closely behind.

"W-what was that?", she asked. Gunwoo rolled his eyes good-naturedly. Youngeul stepped in front of him.

"Couldn't you see that I bought the dress for you?", he chuckled.

"Yes, I'm not stupid, but why?", she insisted.
"Because I wanted to", he smiled. Youngeul suddenly flung herself to Gunwoo, hugging him tightly. Gunwoo blushed madly.

"Thank you, Gunwoo", she muttered into his chest.

"It's fine. Really", he assured, "Do you want some ice cream? My treat"

"It's not like I would even be able to pay. But thank you", she said, letting him go.

 

They bought the ice cream and just decided to window shop. They visited the pet store and looked at the cute animals, they went to the music shop and shared their taste in music and went to a computer shop, taking selcas together with the iPads that were open for the customers to test. As they walked past a accessory shop, Youngeul stopped and watched the head band on the window. She sighed. 'I was hoping to find a cheaper dress, so I could buy that head band I've wanted for so long. Stupid expensive, gorgeous dress', she pouted, but soon smiled softly. Gunwoo stopped too when he noticed Youngeul wasn't walking next to him anymore. He looked back and saw her looking at the head band and smiled. 'Screw that cute, she's beautiful', he thought.

"Youngeul!", he called her. She looked at him and hurried back to him.

"What were you looking at?", he asked, even though he saw what she was looking.

"Nothing", she said. Gunwoo raised an eyebrow. She looked at the clock, it was already 8pm. The mall will be closed in an hour. Gunwoo looked at the clock too and then back at her.

"Should we call it a day? It's late already, and we do have school tomorrow", he stated, trying to suppress his sadness. Youngeul nodded, and they started to walk to the front doors.

"Can I walk you home?", Gunwoo asked as they stepped outside, evening's chilly air surrounding them.

"If you want to", Youngeul answered quietly. The comfortable silence took over them again. It took them about 10 minutes for them to walk to in front of Youngeul's house. She stopped in front of her door and turned around. She locked eyes with Gunwoo.

"Thanks, Gunwoo. I had fun today", Youngeul said as Gunwoo handed her the bag with her dress. Gunwoo smiled.

"Me too", he said. The silence came again. They just stared at each other for a while.

"Um, I should go in now, see you tomorrow at lunch, right?", she said. Gunwoo nodded. She turned around and opened her door.

"Wait", Gunwoo said as Youngeul was just closing her door. She looked at him. He leaned in and kissed her forehead quickly. Youngeul's eyed grew wide.

"Bye", he whispered and skittered away.

 

A/N: Omg this is so short, I'm sorry :(
Thank you for subscribing and commenting, keep them coming <3

Ps. This story turned out a bit longer than the original plan. This was supposed to be an one-shot, but now it already has three chapters xD Whoops!