1/1

Let's Play Pretend
 
“Jongin!” Kyungsoo calls over the din of some techno-electro rave crap that his roommate insists on blasting out at 9 AM in the morning. He can’t help thinking that if he’d just stayed in bed when the phone rang ten minutes previously instead of dragging himself out to answer it, he’d be much, much better prepared to face today. He also wouldn’t have the beginnings of a headache throbbing at his temples.
 
“Jongin, I swear to God.” Kyungsoo knocks hard on the younger man’s door, flinching as the music takes on a faster beat, a higher pitch, and he can’t help but groan audibly. He could really do without this, especially after the news he had just received.
 
Rolling his eyes, he tests the door-handle and finds it unlocked. Kyungsoo sighs as he pushes open the door, praying that the other isn’t in some sort of compromising position behind it.
 
To his relief, Jongin is merely dancing, eyes shut as he moves with the beat. Dancing. Who in their right mind dances at nine o’clock in the freaking morning?
 
Kyungsoo merely stands there in the doorway, arms crossed and mouth pressed into a straight line, as he waits for the other to notice his presence.
 
“Oh, Kyungsoo!” Jongin’s voice is barely audible above the deafening music, but Kyungsoo can see the exact moment he acknowledges his existence and pauses that goddamn electro bull. “What do you want?”
 
Irritation rises inside the older man, and he places his hands on his hips, not caring about how much of a nagging old woman he looks like right now.
 
“Jongin, I swear to God.” He repeats. “I’ve been calling your name for five minutes now, and if you didn’t have that on loud enough to wake the dead at this stupid hour of the morning-” Kyungsoo stops himself when he remembers that he didn’t originally come in here to argue with the younger boy, and takes a deep, calming breath, feeling the headache flare up again. “What I was going to tell you, is that I won’t be here for the day on Saturday, so you’re gonna have to look after yourself.”
 
Jongin seats himself on his bed, pouting and tilting his head up at Kyungsoo, “Why?”
 
Kyungsoo sighs because Jongin is perfectly capable of taking care of himself- he’s a college student for God’s sakes- but he still insists that Kyungsoo coddle him like a child. Cook him meals, do his laundry, clean up after him- the list is endless.
 
“It’s my brother’s wedding. They’re having it earlier than planned because some unexpected circumstances apparently arose, which basically means my idiot of a brother has managed to knock up that fiancee of his.” Kyungsoo grumbles.
 
“So they’re having it in two days?” Jongin asks in disbelief. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen.
 
“It’s in two days? Wait, what day is it today?” He tries casting his mind back to the previous days lectures to try and remember just what day of the week it is. Jongin saves him the trouble by fixing him with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Soo, it’s Thursday.”
 
A sinking feeling settles in Kyungsoo’s gut. Two days is not nearly enough time to mentally prepare himself for the utter disaster this wedding is bound to turn into. It’s not nearly enough time to learn how to block out his mother’s ranting, and his fathers grumbles about how much his brothers fiancee is just not good enough for him.
 
His despair must show on his face, because Jongin chuckles lightly. “Come on, Soo. It won’t be that bad. It’s a wedding- weddings are happy occasions.”
 
Kyungsoo scoffs. “You obviously don’t know my family. You see, plain and simple, they think my brother’s fiancee is a low-life , who isn’t even fit to be in the presence of someone so ‘talented’ and ‘bright’ as my Doctor brother. What makes it worse, is that her family finds ours stuck-up and repulsive.”
 
Jongin merely blinks up at him, showing Kyungsoo that he has to clarify.
 
“Both families are going to be at the wedding, Jongin.” The older man sighs.
 
Jongin’s mouth pulls into an ‘O’ as he finally understands, before he smirks. “Have fun then.”
 
Kyungsoo whines, crossing the room and falling onto Jongin’s bed beside him.
 
“What am I going to do? I don’t even want to go in the first place, but I have to ‘cause he’s my freaking brother.” He sighs, before he frowns and clenches his hands into fists. “And if I have to hear my mother’s snarky comments about her being a e one more time-”
 
“I’ll go with you.”
 
Kyungsoo pauses his rambling, turning to fix the younger with a confused expression. “What?”
 
Jongin smirks. “Take me with you. I’ll act as a sort of buffer. Maybe they won’t say that sort of stuff around me.”
 
Kyungsoo thinks. Maybe if Jongin was with him, his parents would be forced into politeness around someone they didn’t know. There is every chance they wouldn’t, but right now, this is Kyungsoo’s only hope at surviving the mess. There is one problem though.
 
“People normally don’t bring dates to weddings unless they’re, you know, dates.”
 
Jongin chuckles, and Kyungsoo is definitely not liking where this is heading. “Then pretend I’m your date.”
 
“No. Absolutely not.”
 
The younger male sighs, but the smirk is still there, and Kyungsoo knows he hasn’t knocked the idea out of Jongin’s mind just yet. “Come on Soo. What other explanation would there be? ’Hi Mr and Mrs Do, I’m Jongin, and the reason I’m here is because your son feels uncomfortable around his own family’? No.”
 
There is still a large possibility that Jongin being there wouldn’t help the slightest bit, but Kyungsoo knows that he’d feel better with the presence of someone he actually could tolerate there with him. And Jongin had already made it clear that he’d have no other explanation for bringing to younger with him. He rolls his eyes.
 
“Fine, you can be my pretend date to my brothers wedding, but only because I’m really desperate.”
 
“You make it sound like you don’t want me there.” Jongin counters, pulling a rather over-exaggerated pout.
 
“I don’t.”
 
“Ouch.” Jongin jokes, before he lets out a genuine yelp of pain as Kyungsoo’s fist collides with his shoulder.
 
 
~*~
 
 
It’s Friday, the day before the wedding, and Kyungsoo is no further prepared than he was the previous day. He tries to keep it in the back of his mind, though, choosing to worry about more important things like his lectures and his grades and the goddamn paper he has to write.
 
He carries on like this until its a few hours past midday and his eyes are hurting from staring at words for far too long. Sighing, he rubs his face tiredly before getting up and making his way into the kitchen, deciding that a snack break is long overdue.
 
He finds Jongin at the kitchen table, tapping away at his laptop much like Kyungsoo has been for the past few hours. The younger glances up as Kyungsoo enters, and acknowledges him with a smirk.
 
“Big day tomorrow!”
 
“Don’t remind me.” The elder grumbles as he reaches up to the cupboards, attempting to find anything vaguely edible. When all he encounters are a few tins of something and a jar of nutella, Kyungsoo remembers just how much grocery shopping he has to do.
 
He decides that might as well take a break from working for a while, so Kyungsoo shrugs on a jacket and grabs his keys from the side.
 
“I’m going grocery shopping, you need anything?” He asks the younger boy, whose attention is back on the screen in front of him.
 
“Yep,” Jongin replies, never taking his gaze from his laptop. “A suit.”
 
Kyungsoo stops dead. Jongin has got to be kidding him.
 
Jongin finally turns to look after a few moments pass in silence, and the expression on his face is enough to tell Kyungsoo that he’s serious. Kyungsoo almost, almost, groans out loud, but resorts to sighing instead.
 
“Grab your jacket.” He orders, and Jongin quickly shuts down his laptop. “The food can wait.”
 
 
~*~
 
 
“How about this one?” Jongin opens the door to the changing room, strides out-
 
And, yet again, Kyungsoo can feel a headache coming on.
 
Jongin is tall, but this suit is obviously too large, the material of the sleeves hanging way past his hands and the bottom of the pants pooling around his ankles.
 
“Jongin, do you even know your size?”
 
Jongin pouts, sticking his tongue out childishly. "Well it'd be easier if someone actually helped me."
 
"For gods sake Jongin! You're a grown man! You can buy your own goddamn suit!" Kyungsoo groans, breathing steadily to calm the tide of irritation rising inside him.
 
Jongin simply pouts further, and Kyungsoo is about five seconds away from tearing his own hair out in frustration. He snaps.
 
"Right, okay, fine. Stay there." He hisses as he heads back into the main shop area, browsing the racks for a suit that would fit the younger male. Picking out a few items, he sighs and heads back over to the changing room.
 
Jongin is still stood there, looking pitiful and ridiculous in the oversized suit, and Kyungsoo almost wants to laugh at the image.
 
"Go." He pushes the new suit into Jongin's hands, and the younger flashes a grin before disappearing behind the door.
 
There are a few minutes of blissful silence, before-
 
"Kyungsoo?"
 
The elder refrains from rolling his eyes. "Yes?"
 
"The waistcoat has a buckle on the back, and I kinda can't reach it."
 
Frowning in disbelief, Kyungsoo wearily pushes open the door, not caring what sort of state Jongin might be in behind it.
 
It seems that maybe he should have cared about that, because Jongin is barely dressed. His shirt is still ed, leaving the white material to hang off his broad shoulders. He is also yet to put the pants on, leaving him just in his briefs. Jongin spins around to face Kyungsoo, and it’s then that the older man's breath gets stuck somewhere between his lungs and his throat.
 
His cheeks flare up as he wonders if Jongin has been spending extra hours at the dance studio or something, because he has abs. Not just a toned stomach, but actual, prominent, defined abs. Kyungsoo feels faint.
 
Before his gaze travels up, and he sees the waistcoat hanging off one of Jongin’s shoulders as he desperately attempts to reach the back of it. Snapping out of whatever trance he’s fallen into, Kyungsoo moves forward to help the younger man.
 
“Button your shirt” He orders through a throat that somehow seemed constricted, deciding to place himself behind Jongin to avoid any more reactions to the other boy’s body. Jongin does as he’s told, quickly buttoning the shirt and the waistcoat in succession. Kyungsoo steps forward to sort out the buckle on the back, tugging it tighter until the material fit around Jongin’s torso properly.
 
Without looking back, he spins around and makes his way back to the door. “There.”
 
Once outside, Kyungsoo leans back against the wall, pressing his palms to his still-burning cheeks in an attempt to cool them down. He scolds himself for reacting like that, because, come on, this was Jongin. His immature roommate who seems incapable of doing the simplest task, who nagged and until he snapped and just gave in to whatever Jongin wanted. He’s annoying, noisy, careless-
 
And has the body of a God, apparently.
 
“Done!” Jongin sing-songs, stepping out of the changing room, and Kyungsoo turns to look.
 
He blinks, because there, standing in front of him, was not his whiny immature roommate, but a man.
 
Kyungsoo takes his time to drag his gaze over Jongin’s body, taking in every detail. The pants aren’t too tight, but cling to his strong thighs, outlining them and causing a lump to settle in Kyungsoo’s throat. The fitted waistcoat highlights his toned waistline, and the jacket fits snugly across his broad shoulders. Jongin brushes his hair back with his fingers, raising an eyebrow at Kyungsoo, and the room suddenly becomes about ten degrees hotter.
 
“How do I look?” The younger man asks, and Kyungsoo is milliseconds away from choking on his own spit as he attempts to answer.
 
“G-good.”
 
Jongin grins. “Let’s get this one then.”
 
All Kyungsoo can do is nod dumbly as Jongin disappears back into the room, hoping to hell that the other boy didn’t notice the stuttering or his red cheeks, as that would only bring about a lifetime of teasing.
 
When Jongin reappears, dressed in his usual sweats and a t-shirt and looking every bit like himself again, Kyungsoo has calmed down enough to act like a normal person and shoves Jongin in the direction of the checkout. He’s not Jongin’s mother, and the least Jongin can do is buy his own damn suit.
 
After Jongin has whined at the money coming out of his own wallet and the two are finally on their way back, Kyungsoo thinks mournfully about the empty cupboards back at the dorm.
 
It seems like they’ll have to survive on takeouts until Kyungsoo’s life calms down enough for him to go shopping.
 
 
~*~
 
 
It’s on the train the next day, a few stops before the Kyungsoo’s hometown, that Kyungsoo realises a crucial flaw in their plan.
 
He actually slaps his hand to his forehead because, really, he should have thought of this earlier. Preferably two whole days earlier.
 
Jongin notices his erratic behaviour and turns to face him, “What?”
 
“I haven’t told my parents I’m gay, yet.” Kyungsoo deadpans, mentally cursing himself for not remembering this earlier. Dread settles in his gut, and he knows he should have turned down Jongin’s stupid request to go with him.
 
But he guesses it’s a bit too late for that now.
 
The younger man raises an eyebrow, before sighing. “You remember that your parents don’t know you’re gay, five minutes before I have to pretend to be your gay lover.”
 
Kyungsoo hears the incredulity in the other’s voice, and gulps, nodding slowly.
 
A half-smile graces Jongin’s features as he leans back in his seat, and Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow.
 
“Oh well, it might take their minds off your brother for a while.”
 
 
 
The train pulls into the station and the two alight from it, pushing their way past the crowds as they set off in search of a cab. Finally managing to hail one, Kyungsoo and Jongin slide into the back before the elder informs the driver of their destination.
 
“Ah, going to a wedding?” The cab driver gestures in the mirror at their suits, and Kyungsoo’s lips draw into a line as he nods.
 
“Yeah.”
 
He can hear the subtext in his own voice, however. ’But I wish I wasn’t.'
 
Kyungsoo counts down the minutes as they approach the wedding venue, realising that he’s never, ever dreaded anything as much as he’s dreading this right now. His stomach is starting to feel nauseous, and he grips onto the seat so hard his knuckles turn white. He doesn’t want to face his parents, his brother, the arguments. This is a terrible, terrible idea, and he wonders why he didn’t just feign illness and refuse to go.
 
Suddenly, a warm hand covers his, and his head snaps to face the man next to him.
 
“Soo, relax.”
 
Jongin’s fingers prise his own away from the seat, and Kyungsoo wills his muscles to loosen up as his body relaxes at the younger man’s touch. He allows Jongin to turn his hand around, and smiles slightly when the other’s fingers lace with his.
 
Jongin’s hand is soft and strong, and Kyungsoo is comforted beyond belief.
 
Maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t such a bad idea bringing Jongin along, after all.
 
 
 
Jongin is still holding his hand by the time the cab pulls up at the venue, and Kyungsoo almost doesn’t want to let go to pay the driver. He has to, however, and is about to shove his hands in his pockets as they walk up to the lobby when Jongin grabs his wrist.
 
“Plan ‘pretend to be Kyungsoo’s lover’ starts now.” He winks, before his fingers once again slide into the spaces between Kyungsoo’s, and he grips the older man’s hand tightly. Kyungsoo fights down the blush threatening to paint his cheeks and drags Jongin towards the entrance.
 
The fear comes back as they enter the lobby, because there are people everywhere. Women in over-expensive, over-colourful dresses flit around the place, talking to people here and there. The men are more reserved, choosing instead to stand with their hands in their pockets, talking idly amongst each other and keeping the corner of their eye on their wives or girlfriends.
 
Kyungsoo stiffens, and he's so close to bolting back out the door when Jongin's hand slips from his and settles onto his lower back, gently but firmly guiding him forward.
 
They reach the middle of the room when-
 
"Kyungsoo!"
 
The older man shudders at his mothers voice, and raises his head to watch as the woman comes hurrying up to them, his sullen father following not too far behind.
 
"Kyungsoo, darling! It's so lovely to see you!" His mother gushes, pulling him into a hug, and Kyungsoo grimaces, half-heartedly returning the embrace.
 
"Hey Mom, Dad." He greets as his father shakes his hand.
 
Jongin's hand slides boldly around his waist, and it's then that Kyungsoo's parents finally acknowledge the younger man's existence.
 
"Oh, who's this?" His mother asks bluntly, and Kyungsoo feels his face heat up.
 
"T-this is..." He begins, not really knowing what he's going to say, but thankfully Jongin saves him before things can turn even more awkward.
 
"It's lovely to meet you, Mr and Mrs Do. I'm Jongin, Kyungsoo's boyfriend."
 
"What?"
 
Kyungsoo sees the surprise on his parents faces, and he guesses that his mother is simultaneously delighted by Jongin's politeness and horrified by the term 'boyfriend'.
 
"Kyungsoo, you never said..." His mother trails off, and Kyungsoo's stomach turns because his father still hasn't moved, and is instead staring at Kyungsoo like he's grown an extra head.
 
"Sorry," Kyungsoo manages eventually, even though he's not entirely sure what he should be apologising for. "It just never seemed like the right time to come out."
 
His mother nods at him absently, before her gaze turns to Jongin.
 
"How long have you two been dating?"
 
, Kyungsoo thinks. He didn't even think to prepare a backstory to this fake relationship. Thankfully, Jongin steps in again.
 
"I would say it's been about three months now, right Soo?"
 
Kyungsoo turns to look up at Jongin, and is momentarily awestruck at how goddamn calm the younger looks. He takes a breath to settle his nerves, before glancing back to his parents.
 
"Yeah, that seems about right."
 
His mother studies them both carefully, and Kyungsoo simply waits for her next challenge, arching an eyebrow.
 
"And do you live together?"
 
Kyungsoo answers this one truthfully, "Jongin's my roommate in the dorm."
 
Jongin nods, "Yep, that's how we met." He turns his gaze on Kyungsoo, and the older man can feel himself shiver at how soft Jongin's expression is. Almost as if he really, genuinely likes Kyungsoo.
 
Before the younger man turns a billion-dollar smile on his parents, and Kyungsoo tries not to swoon because Jongin, in that suit, being so goddamn charming, is totally not good for his heart rate. 
 
But Kyungsoo can see his mother's face, and knows exactly where this line of questioning is headed. He braces himself as she opens for another question, before his father finally snaps out of staring like an idiot.
 
"Dear, lets not worry about this now."
 
Kyungsoo internally yells in delight. Yes! His father is a saint!
 
His mother turns to her husband, eyebrows raised, before she sighs and tilts her head to the side.
 
"Okay, fine. We're talking later though, Kyungsoo." She warns, and Kyungsoo gulps.
 
"Sure Mom."
 
And because his parents aren't actually rude people, she turns to Jongin with a small smile.
 
"I suppose it was nice meeting you, Jongin. I'm sure we'll have time to talk more in the future."
 
He nods, returning her smile swiftly and smoothly, and bows as he shakes both of Kyungsoo's parents' hands. As they walk away, Kyungsoo lets out a sigh of relief and slumps into Jongin's side.
 
"That could've gone worse." He admits, suddenly feeling much more at ease with the setting. Jongin chuckles, hand smoothing idly at Kyungsoo's waist
 
"They're not too bad. I don't know what you were so worried about."
 
Kyungsoo hums in reply, because really, he's not too sure either. Then he remembers Jongin's behaviour, and looks up at the other with a smile.
 
"Who knew you could be so charming?"
 
Jongin chuckles. "I have my moments."
 
"It's better than whiny immature Jongin, by far." Kyungsoo jokes, only he knows he's being serious. Jongin pouts.
 
"But I like whiny immature Jongin." The younger man replies.
 
"Yeah? Well I don’t.” But Kyungsoo smiles, and he allows himself to lean just a bit closer to Jongin because to hell with it- they’re meant to act like boyfriends anyway, and Jongin’s hand at his waist is doing funny things with his brain. Jongin’s other arm curls around Kyungsoo’s body, and a few strange moments pass when they’re almost... cuddling, before someone starts ushering people into the room where the wedding is taking place.
 
 
 
Half an hour later, and Kyungsoo definitely, definitely remembers why he was so apprehensive in the first place.
 
The actual wedding has just ended, and although the bride and groom are milling about all glowing and happy, the tension in the air is palpable. There’s a distinct divide in the groups of people- us and them. Both families keep to themselves, completely ignoring the other side, and Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’s ever felt so awkward in his life.
 
He sits next to Jongin in the after party room, his mother, father and cousin, Joonmyun, across the table. Thankfully, no more awkward questions get flung in their direction, as Kyungsoo’s parents’ minds are firmly fixed on the bride’s family.
 
“They’re looking at us now. I can see them. I bet they’re talking about us, dear.” Kyungsoo’s mother hisses to her husband, who turns to her with a frown.
 
“Don’t worry about it, love. There’s not much they can say. They don’t want to ruin their special daughter’s special day.” There’s an edge to his father’s tone, and Kyungsoo just wants them both to shut up.
 
They share comments back and forth like this for a while, and Kyungsoo knows that its only a matter of time before they feel bold enough in their statements to broadcast them to other people. He grimaces, but before anything bad can happen, Kyungsoo’s brother spins over to their table.
 
“Darling!” His mother gushes, faking the widest smile Kyungsoo has ever seen and standing to give her eldest son a hug. “I’m so proud of you!”
 
“I’m proud of you too, son.” His father shakes his brother’s hand firmly. Kyungsoo’s family are all fakes, he thinks bitterly.
 
Jongin shifts beside him, and as Kyungsoo turns to glance at him, he sees the reason for the younger boy’s discomfort. Kyungsoo’s brother is staring right at him, eyebrow raised. Kyungsoo decides to help Jongin out.
 
“Hyung, this is Jongin. My b-boyfriend.” The word feels foreign on Kyungsoo’s lips, and comes out quieter than expected, but he knows his brother hears it perfectly by the expression on his face.
 
“What?!” Is his first reaction, and Kyungsoo flinches. He feels Jongin’s hand slide into his, and the tide of foreboding lessens slightly at the comforting gesture.
 
His brother looks at him like he’s gone mad.
 
“You’re gay?” Is what comes next, and Kyungsoo nods, not really knowing what else to do.
 
There are a few excruciating moments where the man’s eyes dart back and forth between Kyungsoo and Jongin, like he’s trying to work something out. His mouth opens, and he desperately looks like he wants to say something, before he seems to remember he’s a doctor and shouldn’t discriminate against anyone.
 
He sighs and once again returns his gaze to Jongin, smiling weakly. “It’s nice to meet you.” He manages, before his mood perks up again. “I must dash, I need to get back to my wife”
 
The wink Kyungsoo’s brother sends his parents is enough to make Kyungsoo feel nauseous, before the man waltzes away.
 
Kyungsoo feels Jongin squeeze his hand slightly, and he turns as the younger man leans forward to whisper to him.
 
“While not the most accepting of people.” Jongin begins, smirk at his lips. “Your family definitely has manners.”
 
Kyungsoo smiles at the truth of this statement, before Joonmyun suddenly speaks up.
 
“You two are cute.”
 
Kyungsoo blinks as his head shoots up, not quite believing what his cousin just said.
 
“Pardon?”
 
Joonmyun smiles warmly. “Your relationship. It’s cute. You must really like each other, huh?”
 
Kyungsoo blushes as he hears Jongin chuckle beside him. He doesn’t quite know how to reply to that, considering the relationship isn’t even genuine and yet Joonmyun can see something between them. Kyungsoo doesn’t like Jongin like that, surely.
 
Except he gets the nagging feeling that maybe he does.
 
Jongin, ever the more laid-back of the two, is first to reply.
 
“Yeah.” Kyungsoo can feel the intensity other’s gaze on the side of his head, and his blush deepens. “We do.”
 
Joonmyun chuckles at this, and glances sideways to see that Kyungsoo’s parents had moved off somewhere. Smiling brightly, he leans closer.
 
“I wish Yixing looked at me like Jongin looks at you, Soo.” He whispers, and Kyungsoo is momentarily stunned. One, because even though he’s pretty sure it’s Chinese, Kyungsoo can tell that Yixing is a male name, and two, because that means there’s something special in Jongin’s gaze, and Kyungsoo is suddenly afraid to look at the younger for fear of discovering just what it is. 
 
He decides to comment on the first point.
 
“Yixing?”
 
Now its Joonmyun’s turn to blush. “My boyfriend.” He sits back in his chair, face lighting up and eyes turning wondrous.
 
Kyungsoo grins because finally, he’s not the only gay in the family. He feels slightly better because of this, less alone, less isolated, and makes a mental note to contact Joonmyun more often.
 
But his heart sinks he notices his parents across the room, edging ever closer to the parents of the bride. Kyungsoo groans.
 
“Oh no.” He mutters, and both Jongin and Joonmyun turn to look.
 
“Look out.” Joonmyun comments as the first over-dramatic ‘Oh how lovely to see you!’s are heard.
 
“Are they really that bad?”
 
Kyungsoo turns back to find the younger looking incredulous. He sighs.
 
“Worse.”
 
“Much worse” Joonmyun adds gravely. 
 
The conversation is relatively quiet for a while, but even though he’s too far to hear what they’re saying, Kyungsoo can feel the tension building. It prickles up his spine, unsettling his gut, and Kyungsoo mentally curses his brother for putting him in this situation.
 
Then a comment floats over to them, loud and shameless like the bride’s mother intended the entire room to hear it.
 
"It's a shame you won't have another wedding in the family."
 
Kyungsoo tenses. She's talking about him, and he knows it.
 
His mothers voice is high and strained as she replies. "What do you mean?"
 
The bride's mother gestures over to them, and Kyungsoo can feel Jongin's grip get that little bit tighter on his hand.
 
"Well, I'm just saying its a shame you won't get to experience another one of your children getting married, since your youngest is gay."
 
She spits the word out like poison, and Kyungsoo feels a burning hatred flare up in his gut.
 
That's when his mother gets defensive, and Kyungsoo's heart is in his throat as he waits for a reaction.
 
There's every possibility that she'd be embarrassed about her youngest son's ual orientation. She could deny it, protest that Jongin is 'merely a friend' (which is the truth, but still). She could oppose all accusations made towards Kyungsoo, before later hissing that Kyungsoo and Jongin are not to be seen in public together.
 
But, to Kyungsoo's surprise, his mother merely takes a step forward.
 
"That doesn't matter. He's our son, and we love him regardless of who he chooses to be with."
 
All noise stops in the room, everyone turning to face the too-loud conversation that they can't help but overhear. Kyungsoo's jaw falls slack, and he's pretty sure he's dreaming right now.
 
The bride's mother is wearing a similar expression, and, sensing that she's finally got a one-up on her, Kyungsoo's mom continues.
 
"It's all love, isn't it? So I couldn't care less whether I don't attend another of my children's weddings. As long as he's happy, I'm happy."
 
Kyungsoo doesn't know whether to feel emotional or unbearably awkward as people start to turn their gazes on him, but his mother isn't finished yet.
 
"So if you think I should be disappointed in him just because he's gay." Her voice reaches a , and Kyungsoo knows the finalising statement is about to come. "Then you are a sad, miserable, bigoted woman."
 
Stifling a laugh, Kyungsoo watches the woman's face turn horrified, before she huffs and scowls. The bride's mother opens and closes a few times, but quickly finds she has nothing to say in reply.
 
Clearly sensing that she's won this round, Kyungsoo's Mom nudges his father, before they both strut their way back over to the table.
 
Kyungsoo suddenly remembers why he loves his family. Even though they're unnecessarily catty at times, and have a tendency to pick out people's flaws, they will always, always defend what matters to them.
 
Until the eruption of whispered conversation all around him reminds him of the fact that he's just been outed to around about a hundred people, some who he hasn't even met, when only earlier his own parents didn't even know of his uality.
 
.
 
 
 
The sound system blasts out ballad after ballad, the soft music pairing with the dimmed lighting to create a warm, romantic atmosphere. A few couples are already out on the floor, swaying back and forth in each others arms, while single guests wait hesitantly at the edges, desperately hoping for some good-looking stranger to ask them to dance.
 
Kyungsoo smiles, because in all honestly, the day has actually gone much better than he’d expected. By now, the little incident earlier is a distant memory as people simply take in the atmosphere, full on decadent food and drunk with the love in the air.
 
There’s a sound to his left as Jongin sets his glass down upon the table, but Kyungsoo doesn’t think too much of it until he feels a tug on his arm.
 
Turning, he’s met with the sight of Jongin getting up from his chair, eyes fixed on Kyungsoo and a gentle smirk on his features.
 
“Dance with me?”
 
Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows. He’s all too ready to decline this offer, because one, the dances this sort of music inspires are always far too close and intimate and romantic for just friends, and two, “I don’t dance.”
 
“You don’t dance, or you can’t dance?”
 
“...Maybe both, what is it to you?”
 
Jongin chuckles, and Kyungsoo is finding it harder and harder to breathe normally as seconds go by. Immature Jongin is nowhere to be seen, and the man in front of him is smooth and charming and oozes charisma. Kyungsoo’s heart flutters in his chest.
 
Jongin asks again with a “Come on, Soo.”, and even though that phrase is usually followed by an idiotic idea of some kind, Kyungsoo finds himself rising to his feet and taking the younger boy’s outstretched hand.
 
He follows blindly as Jongin leads him to the dancefloor, noticing in relief that the other isn’t stupid enough to situate them right in the middle. They stop at one of the sides, hidden by the few other dancing couples, and Jongin turns to the older man with a strange sort of half-smile.
 
Nerves begin creeping up Kyungsoo’s spine, because it's actually been forever since he’s last slow-danced with someone, and the realisation that he’s soon going to be dancing with Jongin is just... too much for his brain to handle. The younger boy merely sighs, noticing Kyungsoo’s hesitation, and takes the initiative.
 
Arms slide around Kyungsoo’s waist, warm and solid and pulling their bodies closer, and the elder nearly squeaks at the feeling. His own arms automatically reach up to loop around the younger man’s neck, and Jongin starts guiding him gently along to the beat. They rock back and forth slowly, and Kyungsoo feels a tide of warmth rise within him. It’s oddly comforting, being held like this by Jongin, and he allows himself to relax in the others embrace as they sway.
 
Now that he thinks about it, Kyungsoo is very, very glad Jongin came with him. He had helped in more ways than Kyungsoo thought possible; calming his nerves with a simple touch of his hand, being a complete gentleman to his parents and lessening the awkwardness of Kyungsoo’s coming out, simultaneously giving his mother an excuse to ‘win’ against the bride’s mother and making Kyungsoo remember just how much he really loves his family.
 
Kyungsoo shudders as he attempts to imagine what would’ve happened had the younger boy not been there, and is suddenly extremely grateful that Jongin thought up this idea in the first place.
 
“Thanks.” He mumbles, glancing upwards to find Jongin’s gaze already on him. Kyungsoo tries not to blush.
 
“For what?”
 
The elder thinks of a short way to explain his reasons, before giving up and simply replying with. “Everything, I guess.”
 
Jongin pulls him forward at this, and their bodies are so, so close to being pressed together. The younger man’s cologne invades his senses, rendering him lightheaded and relaxed from the deliciously heady scent. It’s only when Jongin’s face starts coming closer and closer to his, that Kyungsoo remembers the situation and panics.
 
“We don’t have to pretend now.” Kyungsoo mutters, his stomach twisting because he’s not sure, but he thinks Jongin was just about to kiss him.
 
To his surprise, the younger merely laughs, before dipping down until his lips brush against Kyungsoo’s ear.
 
“Who said I was pretending?”
 
Kyungsoo’s jaw drops open. His brain whites out because Jongin’s warm breath against the shell of his ear is enough to drive him crazy, and the low, murmured words stick fast in his mind.
 
“W-what?” He knows his voice is shaking and he steps back slightly as the song ends for Jongin to look at him properly, because serious conversations have never, ever, in the course of history, happened while dancing.
 
The younger looks slightly sheepish, a guilty smile at his lips, and takes one hand from Kyungsoo’s waist to scratch the back of his neck.
 
“Yeah... What if I told you that me offering to pretend to be your date was because I actually did want to be your date?” There’s an uncertainty in Jongin’s tone that Kyungsoo desperately wants to get rid of, but he can’t move. He’s literally fixed to the spot because Jongin’s confessing to him, and he’s not sure how to handle it without screaming like a schoolgirl.
 
“And that the reason why I let you treat me like a kid is because I actually like you taking care of me?” Jongin continues, but he’s bolder now, stepping forward again and daring to slip his hand onto Kyungsoo’s hip. “That you haven’t left my mind for a second since the moment we met?”
 
The floor tilts under Kyungsoo’s feet, but he grounds himself by taking hold of the younger man’s arm. He tries to say something, anything, tell the other he feels the same, but Jongin’s on a roll now, and before Kyungsoo even has a chance, the younger man tips his head forward and gazes at Kyungsoo through hooded eyes.
 
“What would you do,” He begins, leaning closer until his breath is ghosting over Kyungsoo’s lips and the elder has to wind his arms around Jongin’s neck again to keep his knees from buckling underneath him, “If I told you all that?”
 
Kyungsoo’s restraint snaps as eyes slip shut, and he forgets the setting, forgets the people around them, and focuses on doing what he’s thought about for months.
 
He tilts his head upwards slightly, and presses his lips to Jongin’s.
 
He’s instantly in heaven. Jongin responds swiftly, and his lips are so soft and warm and sweet that Kyungsoo presses forward for more. He feel’s the youngers hands slide up his back, and melts into Jongin’s embrace, kissing him again and again until he’s sure he’s made his feelings clear.
 
Because, even though Jongin’s immature and annoying, he’s still one of the most amazing people Kyungsoo knows.
 
“Is that enough of an answer?” He exhales something that might have been a chuckle as they break the kiss, and he knows he’s grinning like an absolute idiot but thats okay, because Jongin is too.
 
“I like you, an awful, awful lot.” The younger states plainly, and Kyungsoo feels like he’s on cloud nine. Never has he ever been this contented before.
 
He smiles, “I like you too, you idiot.”
 
Jongin pulls him in by his waist, and their lips crash together for the second time. Only this kiss, unlike the first,  is heavy and passionate, both men making up for months of harboured attraction.
 
Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’ll ever get used to the taste of Jongin’s lips, or the dizzying feeling of Jongin’s hands sliding down his waist, and he on the younger’s lower lip as Jongin’s fingers slip teasingly onto his .
 
Before everything finally catches up with him, and he remembers just where they are.
 
“Yah,” He hisses, breaking the kiss and moving Jongin’s arm back to his waist. “Not here, you moron.”
 
Jongin laughs softly, and Kyungsoo can’t help but smile at the sound.
 
The elder glances around the room as he allows himself to be swayed to the new song playing. His eyes land on Joonmyun, who grins at them widely and sends Kyungsoo a thumbs up as he notices him looking. Then, his gaze turns to his brother, who’s smiling in the presence of his new wife, and his parents who are holding hands, chatting and joking with each other like they’re young lovers again.
 
“You okay?” He hears Jongin ask, and nods in reply.
 
He’s definitely okay, he’s more than okay because, in actual fact, the day has gone perfectly.
 
Nuzzling into the younger man’s neck as he rests his head on his shoulder, Kyungsoo makes a mental note to listen to Jongin’s daft suggestions more often.
 
Especially if, like now, they make him happier than he ever thought possible.
 
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
Wow, I was NOT expecting this to get to over 6000 words. I apologise for the delay in posting!
Also, sorry if its a bit disjointed. I tried to save it as much I could but... I don't know.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading my first ever (disgustingly fluffy) Kaisoo oneshot! All credit goes to my friend for coming up with the idea when my other stories were stressing me out, and inspiring me to write this ^^
 
If you like this, and want to read another of my Exo stories, check out my chaptered Hunhan Scandalous.
 
Thanks for reading! <3