You Don't Say?

That's How They Do It In Canada

That’s How They Do It in Canada

 

“Kris hyung,”

“What?” Kris lowered his self motivation book and saw Chanyeol’s derping eyes looking straight at him. “What do you want, Park Chanyeol?”

“I was just wondering,” Chanyeol tapped his chin.

“Em hm?” Kris adverted his eyes back onto the words of his book. Chanyeol pouted and grabbed the book from him. He stared at Kris with his kicked puppy face.

“Can you teach me how to drive?” Chanyeol asked.

“No.”

“Please?”

“No,”

“I’ll sponsor you Tao’s Gucci shopping for a week.”

“Make it a month.”

“Deal.”

“Let’s go.”

-X-

“Okay so,” Kris seated himself in the passenger seat. “You readjust your seat level and then adjust the mirror so you can see the back window.”

“Uh huh,” Chanyeol did as he was told. Both of them are in the company van in a deserted parking lot. Perfect for driving lessons.

“Now,” Kris pointed at the gears. “You shift the gear into D.”

“What does D stands for?” Chanyeol giggled. “Dummy?” Kris rolled his eyes.

“No, it stands for . Now shift the damn gear already.” Chanyeol puffed his cheeks out.

“Gah, okay. You are no fun, Krissy.” He murmured as he did as he was told.

“I heard that,” Kris glared at the black haired boy. “Anyways,” he went back on rambling. “Now, you gently press the gas pedal-“

“Which one is the gas pedal?” Kris mentally face palmed.

“There are how many pedals down there?” Chanyeol peeked from in between his legs.

“Uh, three?”

“The gas pedal is the biggest out of the three, okay?”

“Alright,” Chanyeol pressed the pedal, and the van jerked forward.

“Hey, I said gently!” Kris wailed. “Okay, stop!” Chanyeol stopped. “I think you need a demonstration from a pro first, such as me.” Chanyeol pouted, but he still opened the doors anyway.

“Fine.” He huffed as he and Kris switched places.

“Now, watch me.” Kris readjusted the seat, repositioned the mirror, set the gear on D and gently pressed on the pedal. The van was moving smoothly. Kris exited the parking lot and into the open road.

“Um Kris,”

“Yeah?’

“Shouldn’t we just practice in the parking lot?” Chanyeol asked. Kris scoffed.

“You need to know how real driving looks like, Yeol.”

“Do you even have a license?”

“Then why am I teaching you, Chanyeol?”

“Touché.” Both of them cruised down the highway and entering unknown districts. They saw a green lamp turn yellow. Kris pressed the gas pedal harder. “Aren’t you supposed to slow down at yellow lights?” Kris smirked as he glanced at Chanyeol.

“That’s not how they do it in Canada.” Kris stated as he speed offs into the yellow light and made a drift to corner. Chanyeol screamed as he held on the handlebars for dear life. When Kris reached the road he was targeting, he slowed down and grinned towards Chanyeol.

“That’s how they do it in Canada.”

-X-

“Hey Kris,” Chen popped his head out of the kitchen. “Can you help me make pancakes?”

“Why not ask Lay to do it?” Kris asked as he snuggles deeper into his favorite blanket. Chen snorted.

“Don’t you remember? Lay is out on a check up at the hospital. Broke a bone or something.” Chen’s eyebrows furrowed as he tried to remember his fellow band mate’s injury. “Stupid clumsy unicorn,” he said as he shook his head. “Anyways, the guys are getting hungry and I need your help to cook.”

“Why me?”

“Since you are our legitimately awesome leader…?” Chen tried. He waved the spatula like some band leader at a parade for extra good measure. Kris thought about it for a moment.

“Okay, I’ll help.” He got off the couch, gave his blanket one last snuggle before stepping in the kitchen. He saw Chen already strapped in an apron. “Okay, so uh, what do we do first?”

“I do not know.” Chen stated. Kris casted him an unbelievable look as Chen flipped through a cook book that Lay always used.

“You never cooked pancakes before?”

“Nope,” Chen shook his head. He glanced at Kris as he tapped the giant’s arm with the spatula. “But there’s a first to everything.” He flipped through the book again. “Okay, pancakes! Blueberry or strawberry?”

“…since when we have strawberries?”

“Okay, blueberries it is.” Chen chirped happily. “Oh, go get the blueberries in the fridge, Kris.” Kris did as he was told as Chen poured the whole bag of flour into the mixing bowl, completely startling Kris.

“You sure that’s the correct amount of flour?” He asked, unsure. Chen scoffed.

“Of course I’m sure. The book says it.” He nudged the book towards Kris. Kris raised an eyebrow when he saw the instructions.

“It said, ‘a cup of flour’, not ‘a bag of flour’.”

“Whoopsies then.” Chen took a mug from the cabinet. “My bad. Guess Chinese isn’t really my thing.” He took another mixing bowl, took a cup of flour from the previous bowl and dunked it in the other. “So, what’s next?”

“2 egg yolks.” Kris read it out loud.

“Coming right up!” Chen took an egg and cracked it in a small bowl. “The yolk, eh?” He tried scooping up the yolk with a spoon, but then the circle broke and the yolk spread. “Aww,”

“That’s not how you do it,” Kris said as he took the other egg from Chen’s hands. “This is how you do it.” He took a fork and made a small hole at the top of the egg. He then took a straw and inserted in the egg.

“Are you sure that’s the right way?” Chen asked as he saw Kris sipping the egg whites. Kris shrugged.

“That’s how they do it in Canada.” He handed the egg to Chen.

“Want some?”

“No thanks.”

-X-

“I’m buying Paris,” Baekhyun stated as he laid down a solid 150k. Chanyeol scoffed.

“Cheap country.” Baekhyun glared as he took his card. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kris are playing Monopoly at the living room while waiting for Lay and Kyungsoo to finish cooking.

“The rent would be higher after I build my hotels, okay?” Baekhyun defended himself. Kris cocked an eyebrow.

“Just admit that you are bankrupt.”

“Never,” Baekhyun seethed. Kris shrugged his shoulder.

“Suit yourself.” Kris looked at Chanyeol. “My turn, isn’t it?” Chanyeol tossed Kris the dice. “Okay, here goes.” He tossed it, and it gave a solid 12. Kris moved his shoe and it hit the chance space.

“Ooh, I want to read it out!” Baekhyun cried. He snatched the chance card from Chanyeol. “Okay, jump to the nearest station. If it’s owned, you will have to pay.”

“And the closest is…” Chanyeol’s eyes searched the board. “…King Cross Station and I owned it!” Chanyeol did a mini whoop for himself. “And I also own the other two stations, so that means you have to triple pay, my man!”

“No,” Kris snorted. “Haven’t you ever played Monopoly before? Because you own 3 stations, I have to pay three dollars less. That’s how you pay it.”

“Really?” Baekhyun scrunched up his face as he grabbed the instructions leaflet. “But it says here that-“Kris snatched the leaflet away from Baekhyun’s hands.

“That’s how they do it in Canada, and we’re playing using the Canadian rules.” Kris said as he forked up some $50 monopoly dollar notes and threw it at Chanyeol. “Let the games commence,”

“Well, Canadian Monopoly , then.” Chanyeol grumbled.

“I play by the rules, my brother. Canadian rules, that is.”

“I’m pretty sure you have to triple the pay, Kris.” Baekhyun said. He saw Luhan walk by and pulled the boy down, landing him facedown next to him.

“Ow,” Luhan groaned. He looked up and scowled at Baekhyun. “What the hell, man?”

“If you own three stations, then the rent is tripled, right?” Baekhyun asked. Luhan’s pained face turned into a confused one.

“What?”

“I said, in Monopoly, if you own three stations, you have to triple the rent, am I right?” Baekhyun repeated his question.

“Yes, that’s how you play it.” Luhan then scoffed. “What, have you never played Monopoly before-“

“That’s the Beijing rules.” Luhan was cut off when Kris’ hands slapped over his mouth. “He is from Beijing, and they play differently there.” Kris did and awkward chuckle before pulling Luhan up and shoving the boy into the corridor to their rooms. Luhan grumbled as he dusted his pants.

“Weirdos.”

“And aren’t you from Guangzhou?” Chanyeol questioned. “Then why play using Canadian rules? Why not play using Guangzhou rules?”

“Chanyeol, Chanyeol, Chanyeol,” Kris said as he shook his head. “I have spent half of my life in Canada, and you say I should follow Guangzhou rules?” Kris raised his eyebrows, as if daring Chanyeol to answer him.

“I…” Chanyeol was lost for words. “You know what? Let’s just play the game.” Chanyeol said, defeated.

“I still think you need to pay triple,” Baekhyun mumbled as he watches Chanyeol toss the dice. “Ooh, let’s ask Lay. He never lies!”

“He follows the Changsha rules, and that’s not how to they it in Canada,” Chanyeol mimicked Kris’ voice as he moved his little horse on the board.

“I heard that,” Kris glared at Chanyeol. Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah I know.”