First Date

Not So Complicated

"You can do this! Just-just pick up the phone, dial the number and speak. Korean. Speak Korean. How hard can that be?"

Zelo watched as his hyung paced in the living room, muttering under his breath. Youngjae had been doing that for the past twenty minutes, occasionally glaring at the shared cell phone that B.A.P had innocently sitting on the coffee table. After the two hundred and sixth turn (yes, he had counted), the teen groaned, throwing his hands up.

"Just call her already," the maknae yelled in frustration, looking ready to pull out his hair. "You're driving me insane and I'm trying to watch TV!"

Youngjae froze, leg in the air to take another step. Then he glanced at the cell phone once more and he seemed to lose his mind.

"I can't do it!" he yelled.

"HYUNG!"

•●•●•●•

Tap. Tap. Tap.

A sigh.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

A thud as a head collided with the table top.

Tap. Tap. Ta-

"Will you stop that?" Jongin asked, irritation evident in his voice and body language.

Ji Hye held up her hands, smiling apologetically. "Sorry," she apologised, clasping her hands together. She blew out a breath, ruffling her fringe. She glanced at her phone once more and Joonmyun sighed this time.

"Are you waiting for a call or something?" he asked, amusement laced in his voice as he looked back down at the newspaper in his hands. He didn't see her freeze for a moment before forcing out a laugh.

"Of course not," she replied cheerfully. "I'm just bored, that's all."

"Don't you have homework to do?"

She was about to answer 'no' when she realised she was given the perfect out.

"Oh, right," she answered quickly, snatching up her phone and standing up. "Homework. I'll go do it now."

Baekhyun shook his head as he watched her scurry away. "Strange girl."

•●•●•●•

Youngjae finally clasped the cell phone after it was into his hands by their darling maknae. He stared at the offending machine as if it was going to bite him.

"Just. Call," Zelo said slowly, making sure he had a firm grip on it. The teen found it odd that he was the one who was giving Youngjae love advice, but the elder was really being quite ridiculous. How hard could it be to call a girl?

Very hard, apparently, if Youngjae's reaction was anything to go by.

(Now he was kind of scared to talk to a girl he liked.)

(It didn't help that they were in the same group.)

"Why does Youngjae look like he's having an aneurism?" Jin Rae asked as she sat next to Zelo, tilting her head at Youngjae who was currently lying on the floor, face down.

"Must be that girl from that radio show," Daehyun guessed, poking his best friend's shoulder. "Yah, just call her."

The lead vocal's answer was muffled by the floor, but it sounded strangely like, "I can't do it, I'll mess up, she’s just so pretty."

Daehyun rolled his eyes and snatched the phone from Youngjae. "You're being ridiculous," he muttered. "Just dial the numbers, press this green button," he pointed at the 'call' button on the phone, "and talk. Do it, or I'll do it for you."

This time his answer was unintelligible, but it didn't sound happy at all.

•●•●•●•

"I thought you said you had homework," Sehun said as he entered the room to see Ji Hye lazing around on her bed, staring at her phone.

"I lied," she replied in a bored voice. She stared at him from beneath her fringe. "Deal with it."

He stared at her phone curiously. "Still waiting for that call?"

She made a noise in , neither denying nor confirming. She tossed the damned thing on her pillow. She had been staring at it for the past twenty minutes, willing it to ring and display an unknown number on its screen. Unfortunately, it had been stubbornly silent and the screen remained dark.

"Hey, Sehun," she said suddenly, causing him to look up from the magazine he had stolen borrowed from Jongin. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

This is going to bite me in the later, she thought, sighing as she sat up on her bed.

"You know how, sometimes, you ask a girl for her number?" she started. "And then you call her. But, how long do you usually wait?"

He looked away from the magazine, his tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he thought. "I guess it depends on how much I like the girl," he answered after a while. He eyed her suspiciously. "Why do you want to know?"

To tell, or not to tell? Ji Hye knew telling Sehun about Youngjae could potentially lead to a lifetime of teasing (or Youngjae's death) but hiding would be even worse.

Eh, what the heck.

"I might be waiting for a call," she answered casually, reaching for a book on her desk and flipping through it. "Maybe."

The magazine was placed on his desk, revealing the smirk he was hiding behind the pages. "You talking about that dude from the radio show yesterday?" he asked, looking deceptively innocent. Well, he would have looked innocent if it wasn't for his mischievous smirk that promised torture.

The book went flying through the air, aimed at his head. Unfortunately, he caught it.

"Shut up! How did you even know?"

"If you only you had heard each other last night." His voice took on a higher pitch and she seriously hoped that she didn't sound like that on radio – or ever. "Oppa, I support you one hundred percent! Hwaiting, I love you~"

"I did not say that!" she yelled, her pale cheeks flooding with colour as she threw something else at her roommate.

His laugh echoed through the room as the object thudded against the wall next to him.

•●•●•●•

Somehow, Daehyun had finally managed to wrestle Youngjae into a sitting position. The lead vocal's face was white, lightly tinged green. The phone was forcefully pressed into his hand and he gulped.

"I can't – “ he began, only to be cut off by Himchan.

"If you say you can't do it one more time, I'm going to shove something down your throat," the visual threatened, crossing his arms and pinning Youngjae in place with a glare. By now, the others had already found out about Youngjae's predicament and were getting just as annoyed by it. The maknaes – Jin Rae and Zelo – had already decided to abandon ship somewhere between Daehyun dragging Youngjae out into the living room after running away and Yongguk attempting to restrain Youngjae in a chair with duct tape.

"Just dial her number," Yongguk commanded. Youngjae decided not to argue and dialled the number that had long been washed away, but was already ingrained in his head. He hesitated as his thumb hovered over the 'call' button.

"Maybe she's busy?" he wondered, trying to appeal to his hyungs. "Or she has a schedule. She might even be at practice – “

He was cut off by Daehyun's finger pressing the button for him.

•●•●•●•

The occupants of the room were calmly dozing, enjoying their day off completely. However, the silence of the room was shattered by the ringing of a phone blaring Run Devil Run.

Sehun rolled over, covering his ears with his pillow. It didn't work to block out the sounds at all, causing him to groan.

"Ji Hye," he grunted. "Your phone."

The maknae blinked, the book in her hands falling to the floor as she searched for her phone among the blankets. Her mind was working sluggishly and it took a while for her brain to realise what her ringing phone meant.

"He called," she squeaked, scrambling for her phone on her bed only to discover it was on her desk. "Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh. WhatdoIdo?"

"Answer it ," her roommate grumbled, burying his face in his pillow. She shot him a brief glare for being completely unhelpful before clearing and answering the call.

"Hello?" she answered, trying to ignore the burning in her cheeks.

There was the sound of muffled arguing before Youngjae's voice came on.

"Um, hi," he replied. "Uh, what's up?"

•●•●•●•

Himchan's hand snapped out and slapped the back of Youngjae's head.

"What was that for?" the vocal hissed, covering the speaker to muffle his voice.

"What's up?" Himchan repeated incredulously. "That's the best you could come up with?"

"I'm trying!"

"Nothing much," Ji Hye replied, her voice containing a mechanical tinny. "Just, you know, chilling in my room and enjoying my day off."

"Oh, cool," Youngjae replied lamely, eyeing Himchan wearily as the elder's hand twitched. He regretted letting the others know about Ji Hye (not that he could have hidden her away because she was an idol) if this was what came out of it.

"What are you doing?" she inquired and he heard the squeak of springs as she shifted on her bed. "I mean, I figured you'd be busy with practice or something. Don't you still have promotions going on?"

"Yeah, we do," he answered, a small smirk quirking up his lips. His smile morphed into a scowl as Daehyun shoved him, mouthing ask her out frantically. "Cut it out," he hissed.

"What?"

"Not you," he said hurriedly, slapping his best friend's hand away. "Daehyun's being an idiot."

"I resent that!" Daehyun cried. Youngjae expertly ignored him.

She laughed and he almost patted his back, proud of himself for making her laugh. "I get it," she answered. "Sehun's like that a lot too."

"What am I like?" he heard someone ask.

"None of your business," she replied, her voice sounding like it was further away.

•●•●•●•

Sehun squinted at Ji Hye. "Are you talking bad about me to your boyfriend?" he accused, glaring at her.

She threw another book (they have too many books in their room) at him, her cheeks aflame - either from anger, embarrassment or both. "Shut up," she commanded. "Mind your own business, Sehun."

He snorted, throwing it back at her. "How can I, when you're flirting right in front of me?"

She decided to ignore him, returning her attention to Youngjae. "Ignore him," she told him, a small smile quirking her lips. "He's weird."

"I know how that feels, being the only sane one," he laughed. There were indignant shouts in the background, but the two of them paid it not attention. A brief silence came over the speakers and Ji Hye wondered if she should say something. Finally, Youngjae cleared his throat. "I, uh  actually wanted to ask you something."

"Shoot," she replied, sitting up and crossing her fingers.

A wicked grin lit up Sehun's face. "Ooh, is our little Hye Hye finally getting a date?" he cooed, lunging across to her bed and attempting to wrestle into a headlock.

"Get off of me, you crazy person," she hissed, kicking him away and whacking him with her pillow repeatedly. Times like these she wondered why she hadn't asked for a room transfer yet.

•●•●•●•

Youngjae could here scuffling and yelling over the line and wondered if what he was doing was even right.

"Is this a bad idea?" he wondered aloud, only to get another smack to the back of his head.

"I spent two hours trying to get you to call that girl! If you back out now, I will make you miserable for the rest of your life," Daehyun threatened, hand raised to smack some sense into his best friend if he had to.

"You already make my life miserable."

"What was it you wanted to ask, again?" Ji Hye asked, her voice sounding breathless.

So this was what a heart attack felt like.

He didn't want to admit it, but he was flustered and nervous and anxious and pretty much every feeling that was synonymous with those words. "Well, if you're not busy and you'd like to – only if you'd like to! I'm not trying to pressure you into anything. You're obligated to say no, or never talk to me again or even get a restraining order if you – “

Her laugh rang over the phone speaker. "You're rambling, Youngjae," she chuckled.

"Right," he said, feeling embarrassed. All he was supposed to do was ask her out for coffee or something. Yes. "I was just wondering if… you'd like to get coffee sometime."

Silence.

Oh god, what did I say wrong?

"I don't really drink coffee," she replied and he had to stop himself from slapping himself. Why hadn't he thought of that possibility? Now he had blown his chance with her and she probably thought he was an insensitive jerk and – “but I'd go for hot chocolate."

… That wasn't a rejection.

"So… you'll go out with me?"

•●•●•●•

"So… you'll go out with me?"

So this was what a heart attack felt like.

Her face felt hot and she could feel Sehun's stare from across the room where he was scrutinising her every move.

"Yeah," she answered a little shyly. "I mean, if you're up for it."

That was a stupid question. He was the one who asked. Of course he was up for it. He probably thought she was an idiot and decided that she wasn't worth it and he'd probably erase her number and –

"When are you free?" he asked and Ji Hye had to resist the urge to squeal.

She cleared . She had to keep her cool and try not to seem too eager. Play it cool, Ji Hye. Play it cool.

"I'm free after school tomorrow," she replied nonchalantly, trying to keep her voice down so Sehun couldn't hear her. She'd have to find a way to sneak away, but it shouldn't be too hard. All she had to do was make sure she didn't get back to the dorm too late. Simple.

•●•●•●•

Youngjae winced. "I can't," he replied, regret tinged in his voice. "I have practice…"

"Oh!" she said. "Well, that's fine." She paused. "You know, you don't really have to ask me out if you don't want to."

"I want to!" Youngjae answered hurriedly, almost stumbling over his words. "It's just that we have practice because we're still promoting and Yongguk hyung still thinks we're not quite up to par yet, so we have practice again even though Fridays are supposed to be our day off, but I agree because we're still rookies and so much could be improved – “

"You're rambling again," she chuckled. "I was joking. Hey, are you free on Saturday?"

"Probably."

"Good. Meet me at the restaurant at the corner of the main street of Hongdae at two o'clock, okay?"

He pictured the restaurant and grinned. "Yeah, okay," he answered, trying not to sound overeager (even though he really wanted to scream and act like a teenage girl). "See you on Saturday, then."

"See you."

He waited until he was greeted with the dial tone before he let out a loud whoop. A laugh escaped his lips as he flopped down onto the floor.

"He's got a dumb grin on his face," Himchan observed, scrutinising the vocalist. "He looks weird."

Daehyun snorted. "You should have seen him when he got her number."

"So that's what that look on his face was," Jongup exclaimed, finally tearing his attention away from the rug.

Daehyun made a face, silently judging his ecstatic best friend. "I have a feeling," he said slowly, "that it might get worse."

•●•●•●•

Ji Hye buried her face into her pillow, fighting the urge to squeal. She felt like fangirling, but Sehun was right there and she had embarrassed herself enough for one day. They had practice that day, but she could hope that they could wrap it up by one so she could shower and rush out.

"You're acting weird," her roommate commented. He was probably judging her, but she could care less at the moment.

"I am so done," she sighed, spreading out on her bed. "I'm done."

It was silent for a moment before Sehun tore out of their room, yelling, "Ji Hye has a date!"

She shot out of bed and didn't hesitate to chase her same-aged friend around the dorm, yelling death threats in order to mask his voice. Unfortunately, the other members had already heard.

"I knew it!" Chanyeol bellowed. "That guy was flirting with her!"

"Who?" Baekhyun asked.

"Date?" Kyungsoo squeaked, eyes wider than usual.

Jongin just fell off the couch and laughed.

"Children!" Joonmyun yelled at the top of his lungs, waving his hands at the two maknaes. "No running in the dorm!" He looked flustered at the utter chaos, but nothing could control it.

Times like those, Ji Hye definitely regretted the existence of Oh Sehun.

-0-

So... I finally got off my and wrote this!

Yeah, it's so full of crack I can't even anymore. My feels for this couple come and go because, well, I don't know. I'd come up with a name for this couple, but I don't know how so, yeah.

Hey, subscriber, I love you. Thank you so much. I'm sorry I never replied personally, but I at replying so I do it here.

Plus... shameless advertisement. If you like Ji Hye and want to read her with all the other EXO members in different AUs, check out Stories of EXO, which is pretty much just an EXO feels dump fic. I promise I'll try to add in Youngjae/Ji Hye friendship in it.