First Meeting

Not So Complicated

It started with a radio show.

It was Ji Hye's first time on a radio show without her members with her and she was nervous. Even if it was just SuKiRa with her sunbaes, it didn't feel right when she was alone. For all the complaints and disputes she had with her members, they were still a family. She didn't even understand why she was the one doing the promotion. If anything, it should have been Kai, since he was the group's visual.

Wasn't he?

When she was dropped off by their manager, she stood motionless for a moment, staring longingly at the van before going into the building, waving and smiling at the fans crowded outside. As she slipped into the building, she caught sight of a head of blonde hair and wondered who it was for a moment before her attention was caught by her two sunbaes.

"Ji Hye-yah," Eunhyuk greeted cheerfully, patting her head. "It's so good to see you without your keepers around," he joked.

"Ah, they're just a little overprotective," she responded, shrugging out of her coat and placing her small bag onto the desk. "Come on, oppa. You have to admit that you're a little protective of Kyuhyun oppa too."

"Not at all. The little brat can take care of himself," Donghae replied affectionately, bringing her into a hug and ruffling her hair. "You look tired. How's my favourite dongsaeng feeling?"

"I thought I was your favourite dongsaeng?" Eunhyuk pouted, crossing his arms.

"I'm everybody's favourite dongsaeng," Ji Hye bragged jokingly, brushing off some imaginary dirt off her shoulder. "I'm fine, don't worry. Aren't we starting soon?"

"Not yet." Donghae looked out of the booth. "We have one more person joining us. There he is now."

Ji Hye stood up on instinct, getting ready to bow. She blinked in confusion at the blonde standing a little awkwardly at the door. She recognised him from what little she caught on TV. She wasn't really into watching TV much (that was more of Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's thing) but she remembered liking his group's music. She couldn't even remember a name. What was the group's name? Bip? Pab?

He bowed and she followed suit, giving her sunbaes a questioning look.

"Ah, you two haven't been introduced properly," Eunhyuk realised. "Ji Hye-yah, this is your fellow rookie, Yoo Youngjae. Youngjae-ssi, this is Ryu Ji Hye. I think you're both the same age… or maybe Youngjae-ssi is older?"

"Hi," Ji Hye said shyly. It was pretty much her first time meeting someone who wasn't from the same company as her and she didn't really know how to act. He wasn't exactly a sunbae since they were both rookies. She wasn't even sure which of them debuted first.

"Hi," he greeted back awkwardly, a small smile on his face. She couldn't help but find it cute.

"Sit, sit!" Eunhyuk commanded, grabbing Youngjae by his shoulders and sitting him down opposite Ji Hye even as Donghae pressed her down into her seat. Youngjae looked a little overwhelmed.

"I'm sorry about Eunhyuk oppa," she apologised as she grabbed her headphones. "He gets a little excited sometimes and… yeah. He gets hyper."

"What do you mean you're sorry?" her sunbae asked, rapping her on the head.

"It's okay," Youngjae laughed as he watched Ji Hye rub her head and scowl at her sunbae. "I know how that feels." He seemed to relax slightly.

Eunhyuk shot a playful glare towards her and Donghae pretended to settle him down. "Now, now, yeobo," he said soothingly, passing Eunhyuk his headphones. "We're going to be on soon, so calm down."

True enough, the music started and they started the radio show.

"Good morning!" Eunhyuk greeted cheerfully. "You're listening to SUPER JUNIOR'S KISS THE RADIO!"

The other three cheered and clapped.

"Today, we have two very special guests with us," Donghae said when the noise died down. "Please welcome EXO's Song Ji Hye and B.A.P's Yoo Youngjae!"

"Hello, I'm B.A.P's brain, Youngjae!" Youngjae said happily into the microphone.

"And I'm EXO's maknae, Ji Hye," she continued.

"Wah, two of the year's top rookie groups - or at least their representatives - are here! How has fame been treating you?"

The two rookies looked at each other and Ji Hye nodded, indicating he go first. "Ah, it's been exhilarating," he answered. "All of our Babys are amazing. Saranghaeyo~"

EunHae laughed. "How about you, Ji Hye-ssi?" Eunhyuk asked.

"I can't even describe how wonderful EXO's fans are," she answered, laughing slightly. "They're wonderful and I hope I don't disappoint them."

"I'm sure you won't."

The studio was quiet for a moment as everyone stared at the most unexpected person to say that. A pinkish hue slowly made its way onto Youngjae's face as he coughed lightly. An amused smirk made its way onto Eunhyuk's face as he watched the two blushing rookies. This is interesting…

"How sweet of you to say that, Youngjae-ssi," Eunhyuk cooed. "Ji Hye-yah, why don't you say something nice to him? As a fellow rookie."

"Oh, uh… I'm sure you make your hyungs proud and everyone is supporting you one hundred percent. Including… me, I guess," she said awkwardly, a small embarrassed smile making its way onto her face. "Hwaiting."

"Our sweet rookies are making nice!" he exclaimed, enjoying the embarrassment of his hoobae as she laughed into her hand, not meeting Youngjae's eyes.

"Did you expect us to fight because we're rookies?" she teased, a blush still dusting her cheeks. "You have such little faith in me."

The radio show continued as usual although things got a little awkward whenever Youngjae met her eyes. She hadn't really expected him to say something so nice to her even though he didn't know her and it made her feel warm inside.

She grinned as the radio show came to a close and removed her headphones, running her fingers through her hair. She stood up and stretched. She could finally go back to the dorm and get some rest before they had practice for their next performance.

"Good job," Donghae said, patting her back. "Not bad for a first time, maknae."

"I do try," she joked, her eyes subconsciously trailing towards Youngjae. Donghae followed her gaze, his eyebrow raising.

"You like him?" he asked.

"I don't like him," she answered diplomatically. "He's just… interesting."

"So… he's caught your attention then," he inferred. She shrugged, scratching her cheek as it turned red.

"I guess so," she muttered. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and she fished it out, reading the text message that flashed on the screen and frowning. "They won't make it here for another half an hour thanks to the snow."

"Ah, it's okay, you can stay here," Donghae offered, patting her head. He looked over behind her to the other rookie and saw him frowning as he talked on the phone. "Looks like your fellow rookie might be snowed in too."

She turned around, watching as he nodded his head and scratched the back of his head before hanging up and setting the receiver down, thanking the staff for letting him use the phone. "Oh, I guess so," she mumbled. She didn't really know what to say to that. Was she supposed to be happy that she got to spend more time with him? It was still a little awkward between the two and it wasn't like she liked him…

"Why don't you go make nice?" Donghae suggested. She blinked at him.

"Huh?" She didn't understand what he was trying to tell her.

"You always said you wanted to make friends with other rookies," he clarified. "This is your chance."

She didn't get a chance to think as she was suddenly pushed forward. Naturally, her clumsiness decided to make an appearance and she ended up crashing into Youngjae.

"Damn it, Donghae oppa," she swore, scowling as she held onto the blonde so she wouldn't end up on the floor. She was actually surprised they weren't a tangled heap on the floor, but his grip was steady on her and he only wobbled slightly.

"Are you okay?" he asked, staring at her with wide eyes.

"I'm fine," she replied, laughing slightly. "I'm just really clumsy. I'm so sorry about crashing into you, but Donghae oppa – "

"It's okay. I'm not hurt." He slowly released her once he was sure she was steady. A small smile quirked his lips. "I didn't think lead dancers could be so clumsy."

She laughed, rubbing the back of her neck. He was paying attention… "I'm not usually clumsy on the dance floor, but take me off it and I'll trip over thin air," she joked, feeling accomplishment flood through her as he laughed. No, she didn't think his laugh was nice. Not at all. (She's such a horrible liar.)

"Are you stuck here too?" he asked once his laughter died down.

"Yeah," she answered. "They won't be here for at least half an hour."

"How about we get some hot chocolate at the cafeteria?" he offered, a light blush colouring his cheeks.

She grinned slightly, a blush making its own way onto her cheeks. "I'd like that."

There was where their band mates found them half an hour later, nursing their lukewarm hot chocolate as they laughed over stories they told about their groups. They hadn't really been talking about anything in particular. To be perfectly honest, Ji Hye liked the timbre of his voice and she liked hearing him talk. It wasn't because she liked him. She just liked his voice. That was it.

"Yah, we've been look all over for you," Chanyeol's voice boomed across the cafeteria, causing most of the patrons to turn to the entrance. "So this is where you've been hiding! Who's that?"

Ji Hye barely resisted the urge to face palm as Chanyeol sauntered his way towards the two of them, cutting Youngjae off in the middle of his story. Her group member was giving him a large grin that actually looked quite creepy, successfully making him look like an escaped mental patient. Mentally, she rolled her eyes, sighing softly. Not again, she thought.

"Stop it," she warned, almost shoving her half-finished drink in Chanyeol's direction. "Go take this and tell Baek hyung that you found me. I’ll be out in five minutes."

"Why? Going to give a goodbye kiss to your boyfriend?" he cooed, pinching her cheeks lightly. She swatted his hands away, turning him around forcefully and giving him a light shove. Her cheeks were reddening from the blood rushing to them and it wasn't because of Chanyeol's pinch.

"Not my boyfriend and none of your business," she told him. "Go look for Baekhyun hyung and I'll meet you guys at the lobby in five minutes."

"Four," he bargained.

"Five minutes or I hitch a ride back to the dorms with EunHae. And I tell Kyung Soo you've been bullying me."

"… Fine." He narrowed his eyes at her. "But if you're any later, I'm telling Jongin and Sehun all about your little boyfriend."

Finally, she rolled her eyes. "I just met him today! Go."

She turned back to Youngjae, rubbing the back of her head sheepishly. "I'm sorry about him," she apologised. "Chanyeol hyung's not really socially trained and stuff."

Youngjae lifted a shoulder in a half-shrug. "It's fine. I think my band mates are hardly any – "

He didn't get a chance to complete his sentence as another loud mouth burst through the door, startling the remaining patrons once more. This time, a blonde blur tackled Youngjae, catching him in a headlock.

"There you are!" the blonde exclaimed, messing up Youngjae's hair as he tried to wrestle his way out of the suffocating hold. "Do you know how worried Himchan hyung was? He wouldn't – who are you?" The blonde finally asked, realising that Ji Hye was standing there awkwardly.

Daehyun received an elbow to the side from Youngjae. "Ow! What did I do?"

Youngjae ignored his best friend, sending Ji Hye a pointed look. "You see what I mean?" he asked, gesturing slightly in Daehyun's general direction.

Ji Hye bit back a smile before bowing slightly in Daehyun's direction. "I'm Ji Hye," she introduced with a shy smile.

Daehyun's eyes narrowed as he scrutinised Ji Hye, ignoring Youngjae's hissed 'cut it out'. Ji Hye was obviously uncomfortable as she shifted on her feet.

"Hey, you're from that rookie group, right?" Daehyun asked, conveniently ignoring the fact that he was from a rookie group too.

"Uh, yeah," she answered awkwardly. She contemplated telling him the name of her group, but glanced at her watch. She didn't have much time left and she really didn't want Chanyeol telling Jongin and Sehun she had a boyfriend, because that wouldn't bode well for her (or anybody in the dorm, really). She turned to Youngjae, smiling a little awkwardly. "I kind of have to go. You know, Chanyeol hyung and all…"

"Oh, right," Youngjae said, sounding a little disappointed. He was disappointed. After all, he found her fascinating and it was always interesting meeting other rookies. He ignored Daehyun's questioning gaze (no doubt at her use of hyung) and rubbed the back of his head. "I… guess I'll see you around?"

She smiled. "Probably. On Music Bank or Inkigayo or something."

Daehyun's snicker was ignored as Youngjae watched Ji Hye walk away. He felt like he was forgetting something, although he couldn't seem to remember why. She paused and turned, a smile lifting the corners of her lips as she turned to wave at Youngjae. He raised a hand in reply and something akin to regret bombarded him.

He must have sighed because Daehyun slung his arm around Youngjae's shoulders and said, "You know, if you really like her and want to see her more, you might want to think of getting her number."

"I don't - " he started to protest before he froze. Daehyun actually brought up a pretty good point. He shot after her without another word, leaving Daehyun to stare after him with a smirk on his face.

"My baby's all grown up," he fake cried, wiping an imaginary tear from his eye.

"Ji Hye, wait!" Youngjae shouted, catching her right before she was about to exit the building. She paused, turning around and stepping away from the door.

"What's up?"

He held up a hand, catching his breath. He couldn't remember the last time he had run so fast.

"I was – just wondering – ifIcouldgetyournumber," he panted, finally asking the rest of his question in one rushed breath.

She laughed, a little confused. "Slow down! I didn't catch that."

"Uh," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I was wondering if I could, um, get your number."

He was looking down at his feet, so he missed the small smile that curved her lips.

"Yeah, okay," she answered softly, a light blush dusting her cheeks.

Youngjae sighed. "It's okay if you don't want to," he started, "because I totally get – wait, what?" He blinked at her, not believing his luck. "Really?"

She patted her pockets, digging out a pen and grabbing his arm. She scrawled her number down and tucked her hair into her beanie. "There you go. So… call me." With that, she turned and pushed open the doors. Youngjae watched in a daze as she was swallowed up in the snow and flashes of the fans' camera. He glanced down at the numbers scrawled on his forearm and grinned widely, a laugh bubbling in his throat.

"I got her number," he sang, dancing a little on the spot.

"You are so lucky I'm the only one seeing this," Daehyun commented, scrutinising his best friend, "because that is the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen."

"Oh shut up."