one-sided v.s nothing at all

Love?

walking down the  street full of strangers dressed in business suits, dresses and children running and weaving inbetween the adults. I found myself smiling, remembering what it was like as a child. the feeling of being able to do anything, no responcebilities, and lastly the ability to love. so easily. It was almost difficult to watch sometimes. especially when couples walked by, holding hands, hugging or kissing. most cringed at the sight, but it made me feel pathetic. 
How can all these people be together? it seems like everyone is taken, or hiding. is it too much to ask to love somebody? to be loved? all I want is to have that heart pounding, nervous, exciting butterflies feeling everyone has when they are in love. but it seems as though I'm just waiting for a call that might never be dialed. 
 
i've never had problems blending in, getting to know people, making friends. but there is that one piece that seems to be missing. loving someone, and being loved back. it seems as though its the hardest thing to do. it makes you doubt yourself, feel angry, and like your not worth it. 
but is it better to not love or be loved at all then to have a one-sided love?
 
all the feelings of being in love, but also not. because you know that person won't have the same feelings. its almost painful. getting happy whenever they're around, then knowing the stupid smile you have on your face won't be returned. 
 
everyone says in time you'll find that person made for you, but why does is feel like the clock is stuck.