Difference

Timekeeper

 

Luhan had always been someone who gets what he wants. Not in a greedy way. But he was always the one to go forward with his strong mindset and work his way into his goals. But today... What he yearned for, could be out of his most furthest reach.
 
Mocha Frappucino. It was his most favorite drink of all time. Even in the middle of winter, when snow was drifting down from the clouds in small flowers made of ice. 
He took a sip of the icy drink, grinning in satisfaction, and turned back to his laptop, fingers tapping the keyboard rapidly, word after word of his essay. He narrowed his eyes in concentration, his forehead creasing ever so slightly. The coffee shop was very quiet. No one was present except for him and a waiter behind the counter. He sighed, his brain exhausted from the continuous use of his mind. He laid his head down on his arms, closing his eyes briefly for a short , but restless nap.
          His nap didn't last long though. A short ring of the wind-chimes hanging on the top of the door rang, producing a shrill and high sound that pierced his ears. He let out a small groan and sat up, partly thankful that the sound woke him up. He rubbed his eyes tiredly, and yawned, his eyes scanning the small coffee shop for the visitor. His gaze landed on a small girl that had walked in, carrying a backpack that was slung over her shoulder. She had a small and innocent face. Her eyes a dark brown color, framed by long lashes, her lips small and modest. She stepped inside, looking around as if cautious about upcoming danger. But after a few moments had passed, she comfortably made her way to a seat near his, and placed her things down. Her eyes scanned over the menu in concentration, but she looked confused at the different foods that were shown on the piece of colorful paper. 
            Luhan watched her silently with amusement. Something about her intrigued him. Maybe it was because it had been a long time since 
he's seen any new faces around the small town he was residing in. Either way, he continued to watch as she silently read the menu. After some times and no response, he decided to speak out.
          "You should try their frappuccinos. They're my favorite," he told her, reaching over and pointing to the "frappuccino" section of the menu. The girl jumped a little, startled by his voice and the presence of his hand, but relaxed her tense muscles when her eyes met his. Her eyes were mesmerizing. Big and full of life, and purity. It wasn't like Luhan to be biased and judge, but for some reason, he knew the kind of girl she was just by looking into her soft gaze.
          "Oh?" she murmured, looking back at the menu, searching for something that catches her eye. She sighed.
          "It's been a while since I've treated myself to food. Now I'm so clueless as to what I can order!" 
          Luhan chuckled a little at her cuteness. A small, unconscious pout was formed on her lips as she said that. He liked it. She was... natural.
          "And if you like sweets you should order a slice of their cake too, they are delicious," he added, with a grin on his baby face. 
          He saw a smile form on the girl's face, and he knew immediately she probably liked sweets very much. He could tell by the way her eyes twinkled as they looked over the pictures of decadent desserts. 
          "Sounds like you've been here a lot," she remarked, tapping her chin thoughtfully,  turning her attention to him. He nodded.
          "Everyday since four days ago. Thats when I discovered this place. I love it. Its a little like my study place because its so quiet," he explained. She nodded, as if she understood everything. He was sure she did.
          "I'm Luhan by the way," he told her, holding his hand out for her to shake. She stared at his hand, a little unsure of what to do, before finally, and timidly making contact. Luhan liked the way the girl's small delicate hands fit within his. 
          "I'm Haerin," she said with an unsure tone. Just like that. Luhan got what he wanted again. A friendship. Or at least little talks.
          "So Haerin, I haven't seen you around before. Are you new?" he asked her curiously. She nodded.
          "I am. I moved here a week ago," she told him. Luhan was confused though. A week? Shouldn't he have seen her around at least once? Aish, maybe he was too busy caught up in his homework that he didn't pay attention to his surroundings enough. 
          "Well I hope you like it here, is quite the nice place," Luhan says with a cheeky grin. The corners of her lips curled up, into a shy smile, her cheeks tinted a light pink. She was blushing already.
 
 
Luhan knew he had homework to do. It was always in the back of his mind. He was sure that Haerin had homework as well, judging from her full backpack. And yet they continued talking until night fell upon them, and the coffee shop gradually became darker. They're conversation somehow went from introductions, to finding out that they were almost identical people in every way, other than the three year between them. They both loved sweets. Winter. Quiet. Peace. Luhan enjoyed the company of someone sincere and real like her. She was like a delicate snowflake. The way she picked up her fork and cut into her cake, so precisely and carefully. Her movements were gentle, her voice soft.  Luhan looked over at his laptop occasionally. 8:00 pm, December 14th, 2012. 
          "Its getting late isn't it?" Haerin asked, noticing him at his laptop. He nodded.
          "Yeah. The days become shorter in the winter. But only twelve days until Christmas!" he replies happily. He expected her to be giddy and happy as well, but instead her eyebrows were knitted in confusion.
          "Twelve days? I thought it was nineteen days until Christmas," she said her voice unsure and bewildered. Luhan laughed, dismissing it as just a forgetful person who never checks the date.
 
 
That night, Luhan walked Haerin home. They talked in the silence of night, enjoying the sound of each other's voices and the feeling of each other's presence. He arrived with her at her house after a few minutes of walking. He loved her small home, for it looked like a cozy little cottage covered in snow. He could see how those traits would reflect off of herself. THey stepped up onto the porch, and Haerin rang the doorbell. The door was answered within seconds and he was greeted by a middle aged lady that smiled when she saw the two of them.
          "Haerin! Who's this?" she exclaimed, smiling.
          "Mom, this is Luhan. We met at the new coffee shop in town," she explained gesturing to him. Something about the simple gesture intrigued him. Usually one would be uncomfortable to immediately introduce a boy to their parents, but he could see in her eyes that her bond with her mother was strong.
          "Hello Luhan, would you like to come inside?" her mother asked him. Luhan shook his head, feeling strangely comfortable with talking to her mother.
          "Its okay Miss... um,"
          "Lee. Call me Miss Lee,"
          "Its okay Miss Lee, I should be getting home as well," he told her, "But thank you for the offer," he bowed politely. Miss Lee smiled. She walked back inside leaving Haerin and Luhan at the porch in an awkward silence.
          "Well, I guess we could have some coffee or something during Christmas. Or maybe... will you be at the coffee shop tomorrow?" she asked him. He nodded.
          "Tomorrow... the fifteenth... yes I will be there," he told her nodding. She looked confused once again.
          "Fifteenth? I thought it was the eighth tomorrow!" she exclaimed, facepalming herself. Luhan laughed at her stupid mistake. 
          "I guess you're still stuck in last week haven't you?" he asked her with a grin. 
          She chuckled, shaking her head to clear her mind. "I guess you're right."
          "Well I'll see you tommorow, then?"
          "Yup."
          Little did he know just how true his joke exactly was. 
 

Hiya!

Another Fanfic! Yay! LOL I got this idea all of a sudden when I was taking a shower O_o. Sorry for the boring first chapter, but this, unlike my other story will be a lot more faster moving. It won't be too many chapters though, I don't plan on making this a very long story because I get uncommitted to those. Anyway please subscribe, comment and upvote if you like it!

~Naeun <3