goodbyes and hellos

Solitude

Chapter Two: goodbyes and hellos

 

Baekhyun is Jongin's best friend for a reason.

He first meets the tanned boy on the first day of high school, in their history class, where they are assigned seats next to each other. Jongin is quiet, cold, and moody for the most part, but Baekhyun still finds him interesting. Everyday, he tries to strike a conversation up with the boy, but most of the times, he isn't given a reply.

Nevertheless, Baekhyun refuses to give up. Once he likes someone, he continues to like them -- whether that be for pets, friends, or lovers.

He spreads rumors around the school that he's Jongin's best friend and he follows the boy like a desperate fangirl almost, chasing him down at the bizarrest of times.

"You're annoying," Jongin sighs from time to time, but he really doesn't do anything to stop him.

Baekhyun supposes that it's just part of his personality, but he doesn't think he's known anything about Jongin at all, until he meets Joohyun.

"So you're the famous Byun Baekhyun," She remarks with a laugh. "Jongin talks a lot about you. You must really be his best friend."

As Jongin denies her comments vehemently, Baekhyun smiles and decides that he likes her already.

Lunch goes smoothly and normally. They eat, talk a little here and there, and before long, it's time for them to clean up and get back to class.

As he packs up his own lunchbox, he happens to glance up and finds an intriguing sight.

Joohyun is wrapping her own lunchbox carefully, and Jongin watches her, with what may seem to be his usual expression, but there's this look in his eyes that Baekhyun recognizes immediately.

It's a tender, protective look that he recalls to be love.

When Joohyun leaves first, Baekhyun speaks with a hint of amusement, "You're in love with her."

With a seemingly calm expression, Jongin tells him to stop being ridiculous and that they were going to be late to class.

But Baekhyun knows better.

However, he doesn't think about the issue again -- that is, until Xi Luhan shows up and sweeps Joohyun off her feet when they're 17.

At first, he's only joking when he talks about how Joohyun and the kid seem to have a "thing" going on. He really thinks that they're just friends and they will not go beyond that, but he's dead wrong.

A few weeks after Joohyun starts bringing Luhan to their weekly study sessions at Jongin's house, the two announce that they are dating, holding hands and blushing stupidly.

And when he takes a look at Jongin's face, he almost hates the two of them for being so happy. He has never seen him look so broken before. His eyes are filled with raw pain and betrayal, and his bottom lip is quivering -- and it's the most vulnerable Baekhyun has ever seen Jongin be.

He wonders how Joohyun can be so oblivious to Jongin's heartbreak and almost wants to yell at her -- "Don't you see how much he loves you? Why do you have to hurt him like this?"

But then again, when you're in love, you don't really notice anyone else, do you?

He, of all people, is familiar with that.

Time flies and soon, they're nearing their high school graduation. Joohyun and Luhan are still happily together, and Jongin is still heartbroken, no matter how much he tries to deny it. These days, he seems more like a robot than ever and Baekhyun knows that introducing different girls to him won't relieve his pain.

At their graduation party, Jongin (the "organizer" of the party himself) is nowhere to be found and Baekhyun goes on a search for him, finding him by the balcony upstairs.

"How can the main character miss out on the party?" Baekhyun jokes, punching Jongin lightly on the shoulder.

Jongin chuckles humorlessly (it's the first "laugh" Baekhyun has heard from him in a while). "You're the one that made me organize this stupid party in the first place, aren't you? If anything, you, of all people, shouldn't be missing out on the party."

"Well, it was getting pretty boring without my best friend around," Baekhyun snorts, before taking a more serious tone. "Until when are you going to be pining after her?"

At this, Jongin doesn't say anything for a few moments. 

"I don't know," He answers finally. "But time heals everything, doesn't it?"

Baekhyun can't help but laugh bitterly at this because it's exactly what he thought before. 

"Time doesn't do ," He remarks in an uncharacteristically cold voice. "You think it'll make you recover and that when you see that person again, you won't be so stupidly in love with them, but that's wrong. Because feelings of love never really go away and even when you think you've got yourself all together, one glimpse of that person can send you breaking down all over again. That's what love is."

A frustrated look appears on Jongin's face. "Well, then what do you suppose I do? Walk up to her, tell her that I'm in love with her, and expect her to leave Luhan and run into my arms? The only thing I can do is hope that the time being away from her will help me get over these feelings."

That catches Baekhyun's attention.

"I thought you were going to Seoul University with Joohyun and Luhan?"

Jongin sighs. "I changed my plans. I'm planning to study overseas at a university in London. The experience overseas will help me prepare for when I work in my father's company and it'd be nice to spend some time out of Korea."

"And, what if, after all that, you come back and your feelings for her still haven't changed?" Baekhyun inquires.

Jongin lets out a deep breath, a genuine smile cracking on his face.

"Well, then I'll have to live my entire life as an old, lonely bachelor."

Baekhyun laughs heartily at this because really, when else will he get Kim Jongin to actually make a joke?

His laughter quiets down when he hears a voice -- a female voice -- coming closer to them.

"Jongin? Are you up here?"

Jongin turns around, seeming to be surprised. "Noona? What are you doing at home?"

Baekhyun turns around as well, as a short, petite figure comes into their view, and when he sees her face, his breath hitches and the world seems to stop in that moment.

It's her.

It's really her. 

"Noona! Today, I want a caramel frapuccino with extra whipped cream!"

"Noona, hot chocolate today!"

"Noona, why do you always hang out with those guys?"

"Noona, I really like you."

He can't breathe. He doesn't even realize the fact that Jongin begins introducing them to each other.

"That reminds me, Baekhyun, you haven't met my sister before, have you?" Jongin exclaims. "This is my sister, Taeyeon. By the time you started coming over, she was already studying overseas, so you haven't seen her till now. And noona, this is--"

"You don't have to introduce us," She interrupts. "I already know who this is. Byun Baekhyun, right?"

His heart flutters as she says his name and it amazes him that, even after these years, she still manages to have that effect on him.

"When I worked at that coffee shop down the street during high school, he was a regular customer there. From my memory, I think he came everyday. Sometimes alone, and sometimes with friends," She explains to Jongin. "I knew he was a really nice kid, but who would've thought that you two would be friends?"

Suddenly, she turns to Baekhyun and smiles brightly, a sight that Baekhyun remembers too fondly.

"Never thought I'd see you again, kiddo!" She jokes, hugging him abruptly. "Aigoo, you've grown so much! I still remember you being a tiny middle schooler!"

Baekhyun swallows and worries that she may hear his heartbeat. After all, it's thumping in his chest violently and he feels himself go dizzy as he inhales the faint scent of her.

Apples and cinnamon, just like before.

And he truly realizes that time doesn't heal anything. Feelings are never really gotten over and they never really disappear.

He is still madly in love with the human being called Kim Taeyeon. 

And he may never get over it.

-----------------------------------

 

Joohyun is understandably upset at Jongin's decision to study overseas.

He delivers the news to her while they're eating dinner together at his house, and for once, Luhan isn't there with them. The boy is thankfully visiting his grandparents in China for the week.

"I don't understand," She says quietly. "You always said that you wanted to go to Seoul University. Why has that suddenly changed?"

"I think going to school overseas would be more helpful for my future," He answers smoothly, as if it's a rehearsed reply. "You're obviously aware of the fact that I'll be working in my father's company once I graduate and life overseas will be better preparation for that."

Joohyun knows him too well to accept that answer and she fixates a glare on him.

"Both you and I know that's an excuse, Jongin," She sighs. "What's the real reason?"

He feigns ignorance. "What real reason? Don't be silly, Joohyun. It's not that big of a deal anyway."

"It is a big deal."

He stares at her for an explanation.

"I know you don't want to study overseas and there's some particular reason why you're leaving," She snaps. "And as your best friend and sister, I want to know that reason. Because you've been in love with Seoul University since we entered high school and that's why you studied so hard."

"Well, people change," He replies, averting her gaze. "Now, I think that going overseas would be more beneficial."

She remains silent at that and the atmosphere goes tense.

Jongin lets out a deep breath and leans over to grab her hands.

"Joohyun, I can understand why you're upset, but I hope that you, of all people, can support my decision and send me away with a smile," He urges. "Please? As my best friend and sister?"

She looks up at this, her eyes teary.

"You'll come back, right? I'm sorry for being selfish, Jongin. I was so happy to be able to go to college with you that I became immature and childish when you said that you weren't going."

He smiles at her warmly, retracting his hands from hers, and ruffling her hair affectionately instead.

"Of course I'll come back."

-------------------------------

"I think we should move in together."

Joohyun glances up from her book, startled. Part of her expects his words to be a joke, but when she gazes into Luhan's eyes, she realizes that he is dead serious. 

They're in the university library and she wonders why he would say such a thing here of all places, but decides not to question that part. After all, there's much more important things to address at the moment. 

"We're only 20," She responds, surprising herself at how calm she was being.

"We're both financially stable at the moment, despite being college students," Luhan answers. "We can afford an apartment room and split the rent."

"Still, this is too sudden, Luhan," She insists. "We've been doing fine all this time, haven't we? You're rooming with Xiumin and I'm rooming with Hyoyeon."

"It's not about Xiumin or Hyoyeon. It's about us," He explains gently . "I want to wake up in the morning next to you and make breakfast for you. When I come home, I want you to be the first person I see and I want us to do really stupid, simple things together - like watch TV, go grocery shopping, and clean the floors."

As he finishes talking, he reaches over and locks his hands with hers. 

"Please?" 

Joohyun smiles, leaning over to give him a kiss on the forehead. "Okay. If you really want it that much. And now that I think about it, it wouldn't be so bad to see your face every morning."

Luhan's entire face lights up and he lets out a yell of joy. Joohyun can't stop herself from laughing, even as the librarian sternly tries to hush them.

Surprisingly enough, it's not at all awkward once they move in with each other. They pick out a small, cozy apartment room that's close to their university and begin a natural life together. Luhan is the better cook, so he makes most of their meals, while Joohyun takes a part-time job as a math tutor for middle school kids to earn some extra money.

Joohyun likes waking up early, while Luhan likes waking up late, so sometimes they fight -- "What's the point of you meditating at 5 in the morning!?" "That's none of your business!"-- But they always get over it quickly, even without apologies being said. 

It feels as though they're practically married at this point, just without kids and obviously, an actual marriage.

Four years after moving in with each other, however, Luhan proposes.

He takes her to a fancy, high-class French restaurant that Joohyun has once mentioned she wanted to go to, but it's expensive, and they're only 24, and she didn't think that he would actually listen to her. 

"You didn't have to take me here," She insists, a mixture of worry and embarrassment in her voice.

He smiles. "Do you like it?" 

She has to admit, she does. She feels like a little girl again, staring in wonder at the sparkling chandeliers above her head and the orchestra playing soft melodies in the background. She's wearing a sparkly, golden dress and he's in a suit, and it's like they're in a fairytale of their own. 

"It's not even a special day," She comments, staring at him curiously. "Why did we come here?"

At this, his ears turn red, which is only something that only happens when he's nervous, and suddenly, he rises from his seat, getting down on one knee.

Joohyun's eyes widen in realization as he pulls out a ring box from his back pocket...and a notebook.

With a pen, he scribbles in the notebook and it takes Joohyun a moment to recognize the notebook as the one he used to use in high school.

Grinning, he hands the notebook to her and holds the ring in one hand.

Miss Seo Joo Hyun, will you marry me please? :) 

She smiles, tears welling up in the corners of her eyes, and then nods.

He slides the ring onto her finger and as soon as he's done, she leaps up from her seat and grabs him in a tight hug.

"I love you," She whispers over and over again.

He hugs her back, just as tightly, the smile never leaving his face.

And for her, this is their happy ending.

---------------------------

"Stop calling me."

"But, oppa! You haven't talked to me since we had that wild night together a week ago!"

Jongin feels a migraine coming on. "Baekhyun, knock it off."

He hears the said man chuckle on the other end. "What, can't you take a joke, Jongin? Has all that company work been getting to you?"

"I'm busy."

Though Jongin had been studying in London for the most part, he had been called back to Korea by his father a few months ago to help with the company work. The former board director had suddenly passed away and his spot was one that had to be replaced quickly. 

He flew in immediately, and here he was now, doing work for the company and receiving several obnoxious calls from Baekhyun each day.

"Don't you think you should see Joohyun now?"

Jongin freezes. Joohyun. 

It's strange that her name still causes such a rush inside of him. He hasn't seen her since they graduated high school and he didn't really think about her when he was in London, but then again, he never really forgot about her either.

"I'm sure she's doing well," Jongin replies smoothly. "Is that all you wanted to say? Because as I've said countless times before, I'm busy."

"She and Luhan are getting married in a month."

His throat goes dry and a blur of emotions rise inside of him. Anger, jealousy, sadness, and above all, pain.

She's really becoming his, isn't she?

He struggles to keep his voice normal. "And?"

"Joohyun really wants you at the wedding. She still thinks you're in London."

"Well, let her keep thinking that way," Jongin responds. He can't bring himself to go to their wedding. The pain would be absolutely unbearable. He'd probably never forget the image of her in her wedding dress for the rest of his life.

"It's obvious that you don't want to go. I know that," He hears Baekhyun clear his throat. "But Joohyun really wants to see you. And besides, you're going to have to face her someday. She'll know that you're back in Korea sooner or later. Maybe you can take this chance to get over her, once and for all."

Jongin rubs his forehead tiredly. He really should get to blocking Baekhyun's number on his phone.

"Soooo, your answer is?"

And he really needs a new "best friend."

"Fine. I'll go."

--------------------------------------

A/N: weeell, here's the 2nd chapter. I lied about Sulli appearing (sorry! >_<), but at least you get a lot more baekhyun in this chapter! plus some baekyeon. While baekyeon's history may seem a little confusing right now, it will all be explained in later chapters. I'm sorry if the story seems to be going too fast. I swear that sulli will appear in the next chapter, no matter how small her appearance is! :)

Thank you so much to: quynhanh, sms0712, LoVeKpOp2, chan92, seohyun_ss, seomate24, elaaine, kengkambing4ever, and skyward for subscribing! :) And to those who left comments, thank you so much as well<3 You guys are amazing! :D