Day 215

Numbered From the Start

“They hate me,” Jiyong whines frustratedly. “I know it. I know they hate me. After this single, I’m through.”

 

Seunghyun has been trying to calm Jiyong for the past ten minutes, but nothing he tries seems to work.

“I doubt they hate you,” he tries again for the umpteenth time. He’s sure that Jiyong has been drinking, because when he paces he can’t manage to walk in a straight line.

 

“They do,” Jiyong says.

 

“Well you’re definitely talented,” Seunghyun says. “And you’re showing plenty of dedication and commitment-”

 

“No, commitment!” Jiyong says, rounding on Seunghyun. “None of that matters. Let’s face it. Okay? Let’s face the truth. I’m a ty musician. I’m not going anywhere. You’re a ty writer. You’re not going anywhere either. Let’s just give up! , it’s not worth the effort, Seunghyun. It’s not even working in the first place.”
 

Seunghyun has a sinking feeling that it’s not just their careers that Jiyong is referring to. Alcohol always has a way of making Jiyong even more brutally honest than is typical. And somehow, it always manages to make him bring up their lack of a relationship.

 

“No, I’m not giving up. I’m not giving up writing, you’re not giving up music, and I’m not giving up you! It’s going to work out. It always has,” Seunghyun says, keeping his voice even. He’s hoping that this is all the alcohol talking. That, in a matter of hours, things will go back to the way they were. Jiyong will be happy, their relationship (or whatever it is) won’t be threatened, and they’ll just be content with living life as it comes.

 

“But I don’t want it to. I don’t want it to work out the way that you want it to work out. Jesus, you don’t even listen to me,” Jiyong is yelling. He’s yelling and Seunghyun is feeling especially strung out today, since his draft deadline is coming closer and closer, and Jiyong yelling at him is not something he’s willing to take right now. Not today.

 

“That’s not true!” He explodes. He can never remember yelling at Jiyong, but it feels surprisingly good, when it probably shouldn’t. But he doesn’t stop. He continues. “It’s you who don’t listen to me! I’m willing to make this work. I just want some kind of commitment. Is that too much to ask for?”

 

“You have commitment from me, Seunghyun,” Jiyong says, his voice suddenly soft. “You’ve had commitment this whole time. And that wasn’t enough for you. So this is me, giving up. Your stupid book plotline is wrong. You’re wrong. The underdogs really don’t make it.”

 

Jiyong stomps out of the apartment, and Seunghyun has no intention of following him.