Day 042

Numbered From the Start

“There’s just… something about him,” Seunghyun sighs. Daesung is “listening” to him—Seunghyun isn’t entirely aware of the fact that his best friend is more focused on the video game than he is. “You know?” he continues. “You’ve met someone like that, right? You can’t pinpoint exactly what it is you love about them, but you’re sure it’s a combination of everything.

“Everything?” Daesung says, his eyes still glued to the TV as his character rounds a stretch of road and passes Seunghyun’s. “That sounds pretty serious.”

 

“If you met him, you’d know,” Seunghyun says breathily, his eyes lighting up with excitement. “Of course he’s attractive—he’s got these great dark brown eyes, and sometimes, when you stare into them, it’s like he can see your soul. Usually it’s the other way around, you know? When you look into someone’s eyes, you see their soul. Not with Kwon Jiyong.”

 

“You still sound like a love-sick second grader,” Daesung laughs a little. “How long have the two of you been dating, now?”

“We’re not dating,” Seunghyun says, a little snappishly. He’s a little tired of explaining the dynamic of his relationship with Jiyong, but it also has a lot to do with the fact that he wishes they were dating. “And it’s only been about a month.”

 

“You should be over your honeymoon phase then,” Daesung says. “Seunghyun and I had our first fight right before our one month anniversary.”

 

Daesung was dating a Choi Seunghyun. It wasn’t that Seunghyun disapproved of the other, he just didn’t quite see how the two of them fit together. Where Daesung was bubbly and open, Seunghyun was quiet and reserved. In all honesty, the only person who seemed able to bring him out of his shell was Daesung. Seunghyun had met the other Seunghyun only once before, but none of his lame jokes got the older man to do anything more than crack a smile.

 

“But your relationship is different,” Seunghyun whines. “Jiyong and I are doing just fine. No fights. He laughs at my jokes, too,” he throws Daesung a suggestive look, but Daesung doesn’t pick up on it. “God, you should hear his laugh,” Seunghyun says, thinking aloud. “It’s the sweetest thing. He’s really into some weird stuff, too. But it’s not like weird weird, it’s a cool weird.”

 

“Does he read your palm?” Daesung asks with a laugh.

 

“No, but he’s really good with horoscopes and stuff like that,” Seunghyun says. “On the day he told me I was going to have bad luck, he was spot on.”

 

“Don’t you have luck every day?” Daesung laughs. Seunghyun punches him in the arm, but it only evokes more laughter from his friend.

 

“I just really like him,” Seunghyun says with an odd finality. He lets out a little sigh. “Do you believe in soulmates, Dae?” he asks.

 

Daesung rolls his eyes as his character crosses the finish line. He sets down the game controller and turns to face Seunghyun.

 

“You need an outlet,” he says.

 

“For what? What are you talking about?” Seunghyun is slightly confused as to how outlets have anything to do with soulmates.

 

“No, I mean, you gotta get some of these feelings out. Jesus, you’re a grown man, and you’re talking about soulmates!” Daesung says. “You’re a writer, for God’s sakes. Why don’t you write some of this mushy crap in your book?”

 

“You- you’re not mad at me, are you?” Seunghyun asks cautiously. Daesung doesn’t usually snap at him, but he’s being a little more curt today than he usually is. Seunghyun is sure it’s because he keeps bringing up Jiyong, and he tries really hard not to, but it’s practically impossible since the blond is always on his mind.

 

“No, I’m not mad,” Daesung says, picking up his controller again. “I’m just mad that I can beat you in Mario Kart without even trying.” He laughs a little, and Seunghyun joins in, some of the tension in his chest disappearing. He picks up his controller as well, determined to focus more on the game. He gets to spend less and less time with Daesung because Daesung’s work hours are being increased, and Daesung tries to spend as much of his free time with the other Seunghyun. He should value this time more than he has been.

 

“I was just going easy on you those first two races,” Seunghyun says, a wicked grin spreading across his face. “You’ll be back to losing, once this race gets started.”

Daesung lets out a laugh.

 

“Seriously, though,” he says, as the countdown for their race begins. “Put your feelings for this Jiyong dude in your damn book.”