He knows

A Romantic Friendship

 

 

 

 

 

Kim Jonghyun tried aimlessly to balance the bag of clothes he had picked up from Minho's apartment in one hand and a large pizza from the place down the street from Key's, all the while trying to push the button in the elevator. It had been a long day of planning the wedding with Se Kyung, and he was looking forward to having a slice and a cold one with two of his best friends. Taemin and Onew would be by later, marking the first time the entire gang had been together since the night of Minho's homecoming. He had missed hanging out as a collective group these past few months, and now that each and every friendship was in tact, he was glad that they could all be together without it being weird or awkward.

"Hey, Jjong," Key greeted him as he swung the door open to his apartment. Jonghyun knew immediately that something was going on. Key had the scared look in his eyes he always got right before he had to deliver bad news. It was the same look he had given him when he had confessed about the night he had spent with Minho. Jonghyun tried to shake it off, knowing that his friends had learned from the last time. There was nothing going on. There couldn't be, especially not after Minho had worked so hard to get their friendship back on track. However, as Key took the pizza from him, he had a sinking feeling that he just couldn't ignore. "Minho's in the living room. I'm just going to go plate the pizza. Why don't you head in there and I'll bring our beers in a second?"

Raking his fingers through his hair, Jonghyun tried to ignore the anxiety coursing through

His veins as he came into the living room. Minho looked not at all like himself in the faded jeans and tattered hoodie. He was usually so particular about his appearance that it was almost unsettling to see him looking like a collegiate version of Minho. Jonghyun sat the shopping bag down by the foot of the hospital bed and came around to sit in the armchair pulled close to the railing. "Key asked me to swing by and pick up some stuff from your apartment. I wasn't sure what all you wanted."

Minho shrugged nonchalantly as he flipped off the television. "It's not like I really get to go anywhere or see anyone. Other than you guys and my physical therapist, I haven't seen another soul since I left the hospital," he said. "Although, I have to admit that I am really starting to miss my suits. It's funny how casual clothes feel so uncomfortable after living in suits for so long."

"Before you know it, you're going to be shopping at Target in your sweatpants like the rest of us slobs," Jonghyun teased his friend. "I can see it now. You might even take up wearing wife beaters in public if you keep this up."

"Bite your tongue, Kim Jonghyun," Minho retorted with a wide grin. It felt nice to be here with his friend, ribbing on each other like they had for years. He knew that it was a fleeting feeling and that as soon as they told the truth, he would be right back where he was before the accident. Well, maybe not right back there; he wasn't alone this time. He lifted his eyes to the doorway of the kitchen where a nervous Key was standing with a bottle of beer and two tall glasses of water in his hand. "Come on, Bummie, Appa's thirsty."

Key threw him a dirty look as he handed Jonghyun one of the chilled bottles of better before taking a long drink of water herself. It hardly seemed fair that Jonghyun got the comforts of alcohol while they had to do this completely sober. "Take the little blue pill and two of the round white ones," Key ordered when Minho took the glass from him. He nodded obediently like a child as he held out the pills. Once Key was fully satisfied that Minho taken his meds as directed, he patted him affectionately on the head before sprawling out on the bed beside. "Good boy, Froggy. I didn't even have to grind them up and hide them in your food this time."

"I think you're only doing that so that you can the spoon afterwards in hopes of getting a little hit of my pains medication," he back. Key slapped him playfully on the leg as he rolled over. Minho grabbed for his hand automatically and held it tightly. Key leered at him, trying his best to be menacing. Jonghyun noticed the ease of their joking interaction. It felt strange to see Key like this with anyone else, let alone one of their best friends. "So, Jonghyun, how are things going with the wedding?"

After Minho's initial protests, Jonghyun was surprised how well his friend had taken the engagement to Se Kyung. Minho had went on for weeks after Taemin and Onew finally decided to tie the knot, waxing poetic about the loss of singledom and the promise of every first time. Yet, when Jonghyun had announced his engagement, it felt like all of Minho's arguments against marriage were half-hearted at best. "Se Kyung has plans for everything. She really knows what she wants. I'm just along for the ride. As long as she is happy, I'll do pretty much anything to make it happen."

Minho glanced at Key to gauge her reaction. Though they hadn't spoken at length about the engagement, he knew that it had to be at least a little hard to know that one of your ex-boyfriends was about to get married. However, as he looked at him, he saw that he was genuinely happy for Jonghyun. There was no resentment or regret shining in his eyes. "That's awesome, hyung, congratulations," Minho grinned. "I still say better you than me, but I'm glad that you're happy with Shin Se Kyung."

"Yeah, Jjong, she seems like a really great woman," Key offered. "You should bring her over here so that we can all hang out together. I'd usually tell you to bring her to MC's, but it's not like we can make it there."

Jonghyun tried not to notice the easy way Key said "we" when referring to him and Minho. It wasn't that long ago when he had been the other half of that "we." Now, Se Kyung was the other half of his whole. "Yeah, I'm sure she'd like that," he obliged before standing up. "I am going to go call her real quick. I promised that I'd say goodnight before it got too late."

Once he had slipped out into the hallway for privacy, Key nearly pounced on Minho. He reached for his hand looked up into his dark brown eyes, seeking the comfort that he so desperately needed. He was at his wit's end, trying to find the right time and way to say what they needed to say to Jonghyun. How could he tell him that he was carrying his best friend's baby? "When do you want to do this?"

"Hey, you're shaking," Minho murmured as he brought him up to him. He reached out and rubbed his hands over Key's bare arms in a vain attempt to warm him up. He knew that Key's shivers were ones of fear and not of being cold. "Kibum, it's going to be fine. The worst thing he can do is be angry. If he is, we'll find a way to deal with it. You need to calm down. It can't possibly be good for the baby for you to get this upset."

While Key's first reaction was still to snap at Minho and remind him that he knew what was best for him, he took a deep breath and nodded his head obediently. Minho was just trying to watch out for Key and the baby. He wasn't trying to control him. "You're right," Key concurred before pressing his forehead against Minho's. Minho leaned forward impulsively and kissed the tip of his nose. "I just wish that this was already over."

"Wish what was over?" Jonghyun asked from the doorway. His dark eyes were wide with curiosity and confusion. He walked timidly into the room with his cell phone still clutched tightly in his fists. He didn't want to presume that he had walked in on anything even though he was fairly sure that he had. "What is going on?" Neither of them said anything, which only deepened his anxiety. "Minho? Kibum? What's up?"

Key slid away from Minho but never let go of his hand. He squeezed it supportively before looking up at his best friend with a slightly guilty smile. "Hyung, you better sit down," Minho told his friend. "Kibum and I have something to tell you."

"Oh, Minho, you could not have possibly slept with Key again, could you?" Jonghyun exclaimed exasperatedly. "You just got out of the hospital for goodness sake. I am pretty sure that the doctors said something about not engaging in strenuous activity for like six weeks…"

"Minho and I haven't had again," Key assured him. He chose his words carefully. He had almost said that they hadn't slept together again, but that would have been a lie. They had technically slept together in the same bed twice now since he had been staying at his apartment. "This is actually about the last time that we slept together. There's something that you need to know, Jjong."

"Listen, guys, I forgave you both for what happened. Looking back, I'm not entirely sure that I even had the right to be mad. I mean, I was already with Se Kyung. I guess that there were just some residual feelings there that I hadn't dealt with completely. I've gotten past everything now. You don't need to keep apologizing for what happened."

Minho exchanged a weary glance with Key. Jonghyun was making it harder than it already was. "Actually, that's not what we were talking about either," Minho confessed. "There's really no easy way to say this so I'm just going to come out with it. Kibum is pregnant. We're having a baby."

Jonghyun started to laugh uncontrollably as soon as the words had escaped from Minho's lips. He could barely breathe as he giggled hysterically, doubled over and clutching his stomach. Key was very quiet as he watched him react to what he thought was a joke. Minho only rolled his eyes and prayed for it to be over. Finally, Key cleared his throat and looked pointedly at his ex-boyfriend. "Minho is serious. I'm due in seven months."

The apartment suddenly became very still. Key could hear the distant sound of the elevator chirping out in the hallway and Minho's steady breath next to him. Jonghyun looked at Key blankly as if he couldn't comprehend what he had just said. "You have to be kidding."

Key held up his glass of water and shook his head. "How often have you seen me pass up a beer on pizza night?" he asked him. "This is really happening."

"Weren't you safe?" Jonghyun asked, each word dripping with distain. "You were always on me about being careful because you didn't' want to get pregnant. You didn't want kids. I spent over four years completely in love with you, wanting to have a future with you. You said you didn't envision a family, but you're going to have one with him?"

"It's not like we planned this, hyung," Minho shot back. He wouldn't listen to Jonghyun sit there and question Key's motives, no matter how angry his friend was. "Neither Kibum nor I ever really wanted to have a family, but we are going to have one. Not that it's your business, but yes, we were careful. Condoms fail sometimes or maybe I'm just really potent. Either way, it happened."

Jonghyun started to pace the length of the small living room. His face was red as he stomped back and forth on the carpeted floor. His first instinct was to run away. As betrayed as he had felt after Key had slept with Minho, it couldn't even begin to compare to finding out that Key was willing to have the life he had dreamt about for them just not with him. Key wanted it with Minho. That's why they had invited him here tonight. Finally, he stopped pacing and turned to look straight into the dark brown eyes of his supposed best friend. "I cannot believe you would do this to me."

"To you? Are you kidding me?" Key shrieked. "Jonghyun, in case you haven't figured it out, this is happening to me. I'm the one who is pregnant. Minho is the father. The situation actually has very little to do with you. We just thought that we owed it to you to tell you before anyone else."

"Kibum, come on, you need to calm down a little bit. Remember what we talked about earlier?" Minho murmured softly to him as he rested his hand on the small of Key's back. He felt Key's body relax slightly under his touch. Key turned to him and shook his head with a tired defeat he'd never seen in him before. "Hyung, I'm not going to apologize to you for this. The fact is that we didn't do anything wrong. We didn't do anything wrong when we slept together, and we're not doing anything wrong wanting to do right by our baby. I hate that this is hurting you, but the two of you have been over for months. You've moved on. You're engaged to another woman. You do not get to be angry about this."

Jonghyun glared at the two of them. He hated how Minho was quietly supporting Key with the discreet placement of his hand on his back. He hated how Key had instinctively moved closer to Minho since they had started fighting. He hated how Minho's hands rested protectively over Key's abdomen, as if he was trying to shield his baby from him. He hated how the two of them looked more in sync than he had ever felt with Key. "Well, congratulations then, Minho!" he cheered sarcastically. "I hope that your little family is happy as can be."

"What family?" Jonghyun, Minho and Key all turned at the same time to find a confused Taemin and Onew standing just inside the front door of the apartment. Taemin was looking quickly between the three adults as he clutched the white cake box in his arms. Onew was looking at Minho and Jonghyun expectantly, waiting for an answer to his question. "Guys, what family?"

Key opened and closed his mouth a couple times, trying to find the words to answer his question. Minho only buried his face in his hands. It was Jonghyun that answered the question. "Kibum here is having his baby," he muttered as he slid past Taemin and Onew out of the apartment. His statement was left hanging in the air, answered only by the lonely slamming of the front door.