Chapter 5

Incomplete

 

“Why do you ask that?” asked Leeteuk tilting his head to the side.

 

“Well I’m just curious. The nurses started talking about the two of you just now, when you left. They were really excited you're here, so you must be someone really special. So…who are you?” asked Seong Mi as she continued to search both of their faces for any clues.

 

Kangin stifled a laugh as Leeteuk shifted uncomfortably.

 

“Kangin-ssi and I were…singers when we were younger,” Leeteuk finally said.

 

“Really? The two of you together? Were you popular?” she asked growing more and more interested.

 

“Oh, I don’t know Teuk. Would you say we were popular?” asked Kangin crossing his arms with a smile as he turned to look at Leeteuk. He was enjoying this immensely.

 

Leeteuk playfully punched Kangin’s arm.

 

“Yes, we were popular Seong Mi-ah, but that’s not important now. We no longer do it, so—

 

“What were you called?”
 

Leeteuk sighed as he looked back at Kangin who was now chuckling.

 

“Um…Super…Junior,” he said finally sitting down.

 

“Super Junior?” asked Seong Mi slowly, as if tasting the words for a minute. “Ah! I know!”

 

She sat up with a big smile as she looked at Leeteuk.

 

“My unni loved Super Junior!” she said still grinning as Leeteuk looked up into her eyes.

 

“R-really?” he asked shaking his head.

 

“Yeah, she really loved you! She and her friends would buy your albums, and have your posters on the wall, and sometimes even skip school to see you perform! But I was a lot younger than her, so my parents didn’t really want me listening to a lot of Kpop. But I remember her favorite was….Donghae? Yes, yes, Donghae!” beamed Seong Mi.

 

Kangin now sat down beside Leeteuk, as both of them started laughing from her excitement.

 

“What’s so funny?” she asked with a soft pout when she finally focused back on them.

 

“Nothing, nothing, sorry Seong Mi-ah,” said Kangin shaking his hands.

 

“Well, it’s just we thought you’d be…a little confused if you knew who we were,” said Leeteuk softly once he had stopped laughing.

 

“Confused? Why?” she asked grabbing her phone that was beside her.

 

“Maybe it would seem a little strange in general for two men to help a young girl, but two men who used to be idols, coming to help a young girl, seems even stranger I guess? I just wasn’t sure how you’d react, ” said Leeteuk.

 

Seong Mi had suddenly turned quiet when she began starring intently at her phone screen.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Kangin.

 

“Um…well…I wanted to search for some photos of you two while you were in Super Junior and a lot things called…KangTeuk have popped up.”

 

“Seong Mi, I can show you photos if you want to see, you don’t have to go searching for them,” said Leeteuk nervously as he reached out to take her phone.

 

“But wait a minute,” she said moving out of his reach. “It says here that you're…you’re…married?”

 

Her phone fell out of her hands and into her lap as she looked at both of them. A small frown fell upon her face.

 

Leeteuk felt like his heart had just exploded, so he stood up and quickly walked out of the room.

 

Kangin moved to follow him when Seong Mi grabbed his arm.

 

“Is it true Oppa? Are the two of you—

 

Kangin couldn’t wait to hear the rest of her question. He broke free from her hand and went after Leeteuk.

 

“Teuk?! Teuk-ah?!” he called searching for him in the waiting room. He didn’t see him there so he went to the elevators where he saw Leeteuk frantically pushing the down button.

 

“Teuk what are you doing?!” he said racing over to Leeteuk’s side and pulling him away from the now opening doors.

 

“I just—I just need some fresh—air!” he hiccupped.

 

“No, no, no, no, no. Come here,” said Kangin Leeteuk’s his face as he moved them to the corner. “Now, why did you run out like that?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious Kangin-ah? It’s happening, again. Didn’t you see her face? It’s the same face they always give! Like you said, we haven’t even begun to discuss what’s going to happen with her son, and now I just know there’s no chance. I can’t go back in there just to have her judge us,” said Leeteuk shaking his head.

 

Kangin pulled him close so that Leeteuk’s head could rest on his shoulder.

 

“Baby this is why I didn’t want to get into this with her. I don’t want to see you getting hurt over other people’s feelings about us. It’s not worth it,” he sighed.

 

“I know, but I just really, really thought this was going to work for us this time,” said Leeteuk. “Now I see it was over before it started.”

 

“I think we’ve had enough baby drama for one night. It’s really late, so we should just go home. I’ll make you a hot chocolate, and then we can just crawl back into bed and cuddle until we fall asleep, okay?” asked Kangin kissing his neck.

 

“That sounds really nice,” mumbled Leeteuk with a smile. “But we can’t just get on the elevator and leave Kangin-ah. We’re the ones who brought her here, she’s still needs our help.”

 

“Teuk, we have no obligation to this girl. I understand that you're doing this out of the kindness of your heart, but how far are you going to let it go?”

 

“Could you really just leave her in that bed and honestly never think about her again? Whether she made it home or not?” asked Leeteuk shaking his head.
 

Kangin groaned. “Fine, fine, do what you think is right and I’ll be there by your side. As always. I guess the one good thing now is that I don’t have to pretend to be your dongsaeng. G-d Teuk, that wasn’t even a good one,” laughed Kangin.

 

“Look, I panicked okay! You try to think of a good reason why you're hanging out with someone that looks like you in a coffee shop on a Thursday night,” Leeteuk chuckled as he smacked Kangin’s hip.

 

“Well I guess none of that matters now,” said Kangin as they broke away. “Just promise me, whatever happens between us and this girl, you won’t let it break you, okay?”

 

Leeteuk nodded as he grasped Kangin’s waiting hand and they walked back into Seong Mi’s room.

 

When they walked back over to her bed, Seong Mi was laying on her side. She didn’t look at them once they had sat down.

 

“Seong Mi-ah…I’m sorry I lied to you,” said Leeteuk softly, finally breaking the silence. “But I had to—

 

“What is it that you want from me?” she asked softly.

 

Her question rendered them speechless. Still unsure of what to say, Leeteuk looked to Kangin for support.

 

“You told us that you didn’t have a lot of people willing to help you in your condition, so we wanted to be those people,” Kangin finally said.

 

“But why?” she shrugged. “No one helps anyone unless they want something in return.”

 

Leeteuk chewed on his lip. This seemed to be the moment he had both been anticipating and dreading the most, and he didn’t know how to proceed.

 

“Maybe…maybe you should just tell her Teuk,” said Kangin softly as he took Leeteuk’s hand in his.