The First Encounter

Love Will Find A Way

Alright kids, settle down. We have a new transfer student today all the way from Koreeeaaaa. Can everyone say a warm ‘Hello’ to Dong…hay…Lee? Did I say your name right?” The teacher turned towards the handsome young man who simply smiled with a nod. “Ne, Donghae…” he said almost shyly as he looked around at the classroom. Wrapped up in her own little world of texting her best friend Henry, Amber looked up when everyone said their hello’s and said her hello a fraction of a second later than everyone else, causing a few glances her way. Smiling sheepishly, Amber stuffed her cell phone between her legs to hide it from plain sight and then looked up from the judgmental eyes surrounding her towards the handsome new transfer.

 

Talk about handsome! Eyes a little wider than her usual 8:15 self, Amber watched as the male was told to take the seat next to her. He then nodded towards the teacher, seeming to resist the urge to bow to the 50 something year old ginger and then went back to plop down in the seat and flash her a smile. Smiling back at the boy, Amber quickly pulled her phone out from between her legs and sent Henry a text message ‘Cute new transfer boy sitting next to me!

 

Once it sent, Amber then turned back to the boy….what was his name again? She hadn’t been paying attention. Donghae? And tried to spy what he was doing. He’d instantly taken out a pencil and paper from his back pack, however there weren’t usual lines on the paper, and instead of writing words, he was putting little dots with tails on them.

 

Hi, I’m Amber” the blonde haired tomboy said to the new transfer. The male then stopped what he was writing and turned to meet Amber’s gaze, this time considerably longer than last time. “I’m Donghae. Nice to meet you” he said, nodding his head a little as if he was bowing. Smirking a little, Amber pat him on the shoulder and said, “The pleasure is all mine.” Donghae then seemed like he wanted to go back to his writing which Amber didn’t want to keep him from. They’d always have time to chat later, right? So smiling to herself a little, Amber listened while Donghae hummed lightly to himself.

 

The beat wasn’t bad. It sounded like a ballad, though really the lyrics would really define those details, right? Sometimes songs sounded slower and more emotional, but then the lyrics wouldn’t be quite deep enough to really call it a ballad. Not that Amber knew a lot in this area. She liked to rap, but didn’t know a whole lot about singing.

 

What are you writing?” Another voice chimed in, causing Amber to turn and look at HyukJae, one of the other few Asians in McGuiver High. Hyukjae was more of an acquaintance than a friend of Amber’s. He sure knew how to dance, and sometimes threw in a rap or two when Amber was joking around with her friends, but really she didn’t know him that well despite the common joke that Asians liked to stick together. Sure, Amber liked other Asians, but she wasn’t about to hang out with all the Asians in the school JUST because she was Asian. That’d be lame.

 

Ah, aniyo. Er…nothing. Just. Messing around” Donghae said, bashfully closing the notebook. HyukJae obviously didn’t want to take that for an answer and quickly leaned forward and snatched the book out of Donghae’s grasp, causing the new kid to gasp and reach forward to try and grab it. “Don’t worry! I won’t read it out loud!” HyukJae said with a gummy smile and used his right arm to hold Donghae back while he used his left hand to hold the notebook up so he could read it. Seconds later though, Donghae managed to twist out of HyukJae’s path and then dove and grabbed the notebook.

 

Shocked, Amber blinked a couple times and then smiled widely at Donghae. Hyukjae was known for being quick and nimble since he was a dancer, and yet here Donghae was able to quickly twist his way away from Hyukjae and grab his book away. HyukJae seemed just as shocked by his moves and was unable to frown that his fun was so easily taken away from him. “Whooa, do you dance too?? Mmm sounds like you’re a jack of all trades, hmm?” Hyukjae asked, his smile gummy as ever. Donghae seemed confused though as he then asked “Jack of what? What does that mean?

 

Figuring this was the perfect time to wiggle her way into the situation, Amber reached forward and tapped Donghae’s surprisingly strong arm. “It means you’re good at a lot of things.” She said, filling the foreigner in on some American sayings. Donghae’s mouth then formed an ‘o’ as he realized what it meant and then nodded with a smile. “I am good at a lot. I can dance, sing, cook, clean…” he sounded like he could have continued that list forever, however as soon as cook and clean came up, HyukJae quickly chimed in with some laughter, “Whooa you should come clean my room then, if you can clean so well!

 

Yoo, leave him alone!” Amber shot towards Hyukjae, threatening to throw something at him. The trio probably could have gone like that for quite a while, however the bell soon rang throughout the school, causing most of the kids to jump up and run out the door, eager to either leave their home room, or simply eager to head to class. Not really eager for both though, Amber moved her phone from between her thighs to the pockets of her slightly baggy pants and then picked up her back pack slinging one strap over her shoulder and forgetting all about the other one.

 

Since you’re new, I’ll show you around the place!” HyukJae said quickly, before Amber could even offer. “And miss your own classes? Get real Hyukjae!” Amber said teasingly and then turned towards Donghae. “What classes are you taking? Maybe we can both help..” Amber said, trying to be fair about the deal. Donghae then quickly pulled his class schedule out of his back pocket and smoothed it out on the table before the two others.

 

OH, we have the same first and fourth period!” Amber said with a smile, only for EunHyuk to laugh a little and reply with, “Second, Fifth and sixth” as if he was winning some sort of game. “Mmm well then then it’s good that we’re both in most of your classes, right Donghae?” Amber said smiling at the male and then pat him on the back before brushing her shaggy bangs out of her face. “C’mon before we’re late and old man Stevens beats us!” she said teasing the other just to see his reaction.