Princely Matters

Midnight Hour

 

 

Princely Matters

 

----------------------

 

Jongdae opened his eyes and slowly his lips curled into a satisfied grin. 

 

He slumped further into the familar, high-backed throne, caressing the golden staff in his right hand. The weight atop his head made him sit up straighter. Jongdae the crown, decorated with priceless jewels was perched precariously on his golden head, tilted to one side like a cheap baseball cap. He blew the imaginary dust off his fingernails, lingering on the gold and silver bands decorating them before staring out before his magnificent palace. 

 

Ah, such a familiar place this was~

 

It was western in design, high cathedral ceilings he’d seen in his older brother’s travel books. Spectacular stain glass windows decorated both sides of the immense reception hall, the bright reds, oranges, blues and greens gleaming as the sun shined through the glass. His white marble throne glistened from its position at the center of the hall. Jongdae didn’t have to look down to know he was now wearing whatever his imagination deemed to be ‘princely’ clothing, as it usually was some modern twist on prince charming.

 

The initial glee wearing off, Jongdae yawned into the hand not holding the weight of the heavy staff, and stared bored at the empty, spotless tiles patterning the floor. Usually his time in this reoccurring ‘dream-world’ were pretty uneventful. He usually spent his time checking himself in a porcelain hand mirror (that would appear from no where, of course, as this was just a dream), or being hand-fed lush fruits by pretty maidens in glorified medieval bikini’s. 

 

It wasn’t as terribly exciting as it used to be, getting to prance around a giant castle, checking out the hundreds of rooms, and gaze upon his princely get-up in floor to ceiling mirrors decorated in diamonds. After the eleventh night, spread out in three months, Jongdae was getting bored of the lavish castle of his dreams, and honestly wished he had enough imagination to come up with another dreamland for him to explore, preferably ones with new people or at least some of his friends from real life. Other than the pretty ladies who fed him fruit, he was alone. It seemed even in sleep, Jongdae was unable to escape the stillness of isolation. 

 

The little king sighed and took off his crown to muss his amber hair, squinting and rubbing his tired eyes. Maybe he should just pinch himself and try to wake himself up, so he could try falling asleep again, without dreaming. 

 

“So boring,” Jongdae whined, kicking his feet in the space between his throne and the red velvet staircase. 

 

He nearly fell of his throne when what sounded like trumpets rang through the hall. 

 

His eyebrows peeked in interest. 

 

This had never happened before. 

 

After a few loud blows of the horn, a thundering knocking sounded on the twin oak doors at the other end of the hall. In response to the loud thumps of the wood, Jongdae picked up his feet and huddled against the back of the chair in surprise. He immediately felt ridiculous and fixed his body back to its original position, laughing at himself. It was a dream for goodness sake. He had nothing to worry about. 

 

“Um... whose there?” Jongdae called out awkwardly. He flinched when the robotic knocking suddenly stops, a deafening silence for a few seconds, and then the doors slowly creaked open at the same time. 

 

Jongdae squinted, his lips pursed as he tries to make out the tiny figure at the end of the hall. 

 

Wait... was that--?

 

A lanky youth with shiny silver hair and lovely bronzed skin walked slowly into the room. The second he appeared something tickled Jongdae’s brain... recognition?--but that was nonsense. He’d never had any visitors before in his dreams, and how many people did he know with silver hair? Oh wait, scratch that, there was actually quite a lot... 

 

As the figure came closer, Jongdae could see that the young man had on tight, black legging type pants, similar to the ones Yixing-hyung preferred to wear to dance practices, but unlike Yixing-hyung, that was pretty much all the figure was wearing. His toned chest was completely bare, sticking pins of jealousy into Jongdae’s stomach at the perfectly sculpted abs, and all he had on otherwise were elbow length sleeveless gloves and a strange fur ‘cloak’ that somehow stayed precariously tied around his lean, broad shoulders. 

 

Jongdae watched curiously as the stranger walked further into the room, head facing down modestly, so he could not see the figures face. 

 

It wasn’t until he stopped a few feet from his throne and peeked up at him, a nervous frown on his handsome face, did Jongdae recognize the strangely dressed man. 

 

Jongdae sat up so fast his crown almost fell off. 

 

What the heck was Jongin doing here? This was his dream! 

 

“Your highness.” Jongin suddenly dropped to one knee, his arms limp at his sides, effectively cutting off all complaints rushing through Jongdae’s mind. 

 

Jongdae started at the top of the boys white head, wide-eyed. “Um...” He was completely confused. Where were his lovely lady servants? What the hell was Jongin doing here half-?

 

Jongin opened his mouth to speak, his voice unfamiliarly deep and respectful. “You have my utmost apologies and my deepest well wishes, as I come before you so suddenly and without permission.” Jongdae felt a thick warmth crawl into his stomach, and settle, purring in contentment. Jongin was more of the playful maknae type, soft spoken and wide eyed, but when you get him going, or he’d just spent time with the notorious Sehun, Jongin could be a little devil when he wanted. Seeing the second maknae suddenly so subservient, and respecting, was making Jongdae feel strange. 

 

He watched the young man as he stayed kneeling on the red velvet carpet before his throne, his gaze never leaving the ground just before Jongdae’s slippered feet. 

 

Jongdae scratched the back of his neck in thought. Well, if this was how it was gonna go---and the brat wasn’t gonna screw up whatever Jongdae currently had going for himself in his dream world, then he guessed he’d just wait it out. 

 

“Jongin... “ Before Jongdae could get anything sort of response out, Jongin lifted his head at the sound of his name. 

 

“Your Majesty.” Jongin's lips seemed to caress the title like it was an expensive, rich chocolate. It made Jongdae shiver. 

 

Staring back into Jongin’s concentrated stare, for some reason Jongdae’s cheeks began to heat and his tongue felt like cotton. What the heck... was he actually blushing? Thats never happened in a dream before. It’s just... the kid had never looked so... focused, even when dancing. To have all that raw energy focused on him... it didn’t help that the fur cloak was starting to slip off one shoulder, and Jongin’s kneeling position in those skin tight pants wasn’t leaving much to the imagination. 

 

“Jongin-ah you may... rise...?” Jongdae stammered, subconciously attempting to use more refined language. He the jewels on his collar nervously. 

 

Jongin immdieatly raised from the floor. He stood silently and attentive. Waiting for him to speak first. 

 

Jongdae swallowed his nervers and continued. “So, um, what did you come for then?” He felt ridiculous talking to ‘dream’ Jongin, but what else was he supposed to do until he woke up?

 

“I have come to accept your father, the Great Elder’s proposition.” Jongin replied, lips twitching. 

 

Jongdae didn't even notice the hint of mischief, as he processed the sudden mention of his father. Um, ok, so now Jongdae’s father was a part of his dreams too? He turned his head this way and that, looking for any shine of his father’s balding head. 

 

“.... and that would be?” Jongdae followed along slowly, after not finding any hint of his Pops. 

 

Jongin shot him a confused look at his reply. “Surely you must remember the communications between our parents?”

 

“No, I don’t. Tell me.” Jongdae said, impatient. He fiddled with his collar more intensely. Where was this going to end? Was he going to wake up soon? God, he hated cliff-hangers in dreams, especially one as strange as this.

 

“Really?” Jongin blinked in surprise, then continued as instructed. “I have come to accept your hand in marriage, Prince Kim.” Jongin got back onto his knees, but this time did a traditional engagement bow. 

 

Jongdae stared at the boy in utter shock.

 

WHAT?

 

“WHAT!?”

 

“Is there a problem, my prince, I thought we both knew of our parents decision." Jongin’s brow creased as he stood again, surprised by Jongdae’s yell. 

 

“I-I... w-we’re gonna get m-m-marri--ed?” Jongdae stammered, sinking back into his chair. 

 

What the hell?! Whatwhatwatwatwahkfsjsdssdlf--what kind-of dream was this? What the hell did he eat to have this crazy nightmare?

 

Jongin’s stoic, charismatic expression suddenly broke into a boyish grin. “With our parents permission, I should hope so.” he chuckeled. 

 

Jongdae found himself dazzled by the simple expression of joy and lifted a hand to the return of his burning cheeks. 

 

Oblivious, Jongin daringly took the last few steps up the velvet staircase until he was merely a foot from Jongdae. He stretched out his hands and grasped the stunned boy’s arms, pulling him up until their were eye-to-eye. Jongdae fought his gaze from slipping to the gleaming abs still on display. 

 

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this moment.” Jongin whispered, suddenly revrent. He leaned forward and Jongdae panicked, closing his eyes to the other’s face coming towards his own. Jongin shifted to wrap his arms around him stronly and pressed his chin into his shoulder, rocking them back and forth once before pulling back, keeping his hands on his biceps. 

 

"I know we've known each other since we were little--"

 

Pretty sure I met you in the trainee camp... when we were, like, 16 and 18. 

 

"--and I know I haven't always been good to you--"

 

Jongdae huffed. Yeah, if you call switching out his favorite cola with fish sauce being "good" to your hyung.

 

"--but I promise to cherish and repect you for all the years we shall be together." Jongin continued passionately. 

 

This was sooooo weird. Jongdae could barely follow along, as the boy ocntinued his poetic speech. It was something out of an Austen novel (not that he read those, it was his friend's! from highschool! She left it on her desk one day!He wondered if he should even think of mentioning this to Jongin or the other members... hmm no, actually he didn't want to be teased into the new year, so lets keep this to himself. 

 

Unknowing of Jongdae's inner thoughts, Dream-Jongin trailed off at the end of his words. “There’s just one more thing...” he paused, taking a deep breath. The younger boy suddenly fixed a heated gaze onto Jongdae's bemused face, causing the older to stagger back into his throne as the full lips spread into a coy smirk. 

 

Well, damn. 

 

Jongdae’s never experienced the full force of Jongin’s ‘boyish charisma’ so straightforwardly before. His chest softened with a sudden empathy for their fans. Jongin continued to show his teeth, leaning toward him, more cat than man. 

 

Or should he say, Wolf?

 

Jongdae shook his head furiously at that thought, No-no--no! This was not the time to be making indirect puns, Jongdae-ah! 

 

“My Prince, you must allow me to steal one kiss before the wedding. I've waited twenty years for this, I fear I cannot wait another minute more.” Jongin's smirk widened. His face coming nearer and nearer as his hands tightened and pulled Jongdae closer. 

 

Jongdae could feel the hot puffs of air on his cheeks. He shut his eyes tightly. Waiting for the imminent press of lips. 

 

Oh ...

 

 

 

 

-----

a/n: tbc...

so what did my lovely subscribers think? Alright? :) Not so great? :( Sorry for the long wait, I've been really busy with school, but I'll try to get more chapters up soon, for those who look forward to them. I'm still a noobie writer so I hope these fanfics help me to improve. :)