Chapter Four

A Caged Bird From Joseon

A/n i broke my thumb. Sighs. 

En-yee quickly handed Joonmyun a cup of ginseng tea and said, "I heard you solve the magic crystal ball, Master Kim! You are really smart!" Joonmyun took a sip and relaxed from the aftertaste. The tea had red ginseng, product of Joseon. Joonmyun shook his head and confessed, "Barely. It so happens that the book I was reading a few days ago introduced games from various cultures and countries. And one chapter was about Persian games and the crystal ball trick was where I read up to." There was a sigh. En-yee quickly greeted nervously, "Welcome, Your Majesty." Yifan waved his hand to dismiss her. En-yee scurried away. 

 
Joonmyun wanted to get up to greet Yifan but was stopped. Yifan sat down and said, "My spies reported that the witch plans to duel you in a game of ba-bah-dag-men." He scowled, frustrated by the hard-to-pronounce word. Joonmyun thought for a moment and said, "A game of backgammon. It's a Persian invention." Yifan suddenly looked very hopeful. Joonmyun understood what he was thinking and quicky added, "But I've only read about it briefly. I'm not familiar with the rules and condition. I don't think I will be able to win tomorrow." 
 
Yifan nodded defeatedly and sighed, "It doesn't matter. You were able to display intelligence for China and that's already enough. Your mother just passed away and in Chinese tradition, during the three month period after a death the family of the deceased should keep a low profile. You don't have to come tomorrow morning." Yifan stood up to leave. Joonmyun felt a sudden impulse. He grabbed onto Yifan's wrist and stated, "Give me one night. I will be able to think of a solution. I know I will." Yifan pulled back his hand and shook his head. He said, "I have some work left to do. I won't be staying over tonight." 
 
When Yifan left Joonmyun quickly grabbed the cloak from his bed. He rushed out of the door, bumping into Ping-yi. Ping-yi swiftly steadied the falling Joonmyun and asked, "Where are you going, Master Kim?" Joonmyun said, "I'm going to the library. I'm sure there are book or writing regarding Persian inventions." Then he walked off without waiting for Ping-yi. En-yee saw her sister standing by the door and asked, "Why aren't you inside? It's time for Master Kim to sleep." Ping-yi was spooked and yelled, "Don't do that! You scared me!" Then, she remembered what she was thinking before and said, worried "Master Kim said he's going to the library. But I didn't tell him the directions!" En-yee gasped. "We must go find him! It's already so dark! He's going to get lost!" The two rushed off to the direction Joonmyun went. 
 
Joonmyun mentally cursed himself for forgetting to bring a lantern or asking Ping-yi for directions. Suddenly, unable to see in the dark, Joonmyun tripped on a pebble. However, instead of landing on his face he was pulled into the a pair of strong arms. It was too dark to see the person's face. Joonmyun thought, "Could it be..." The person smiled and said, "You said you don't want to treated like a woman but you can't even prove you can take care of yourself." Joonmyun quickly recognized the voice to be Yixing's. Joonmyun tried to free himself but Yixing held on tighter and said, "There are a lot of pebbles on the ground and it's too dark to see. Let me take you to a lighted area first." Joonmyun could only agree, trusting Yixing. 
 
Yixing bought Joonmyun to the library and released his hand. He still longed for Joonmyun's scent. Joonmyun asked, surprised "How did you know I needed to come to the library?" Yixing swiped his finger over Joonmyun's nose playfully. He said, "I was planning to visit you. On my way over to your Chamber I saw Ping-yi and En-yee searching around frantically. They told me you walked off to the library without a source of light and directions. What were you thinking?" Joonmyun shook his head, feeling ashamed. He explained, "I am sorry, Yixing, for troubling you. I have to duel a game of backgammon tomorrow but I am not familiar with the rules." 
 
Joonmyun looks down at his hands, disappointed in himself. Yixing smiled at Joonmyun's cute reaction. He said, "You could have asked me. I lived in Persia for a while and that's where I met my fifth m--my friend. I can teach you how to play backgammon." Joonmyun's emotion quickly lifted up. He grabbed onto Yixing's hand happily. He said, "Yixing! You really are a life savior!" A gust of wind blew at them. Joonmyun shivered slightly, angry that he dropped his cloak back when he tripped. Yixing noticed and pulled off his cloak and draped it over Joonmyun. 
 
Joonmyun blushed and said, "You're treating me like a woman again." Yixing thought, "I want to protect you as if you are my woman." Instead, he said, "Come on. Let's go inside so I can explain to you about the game of backgammon." They headed inside and took a seat on a bench. Yixing started explaining, "A backgammon set, consisting of a board, two sets of 15 checkers, two pairs of dice, a doubling cube, and dice cups." Joonmyun listened to him quietly. "The playing pieces are moved according to the roll of dice, and a player wins by removing all of his pieces from the board before his opponent. Luck is important in this game but so is strategy. With each roll of the dice, players must choose from numerous options for moving their checkers and anticipate possible counter-moves by the opponent." 
 
Joonmyun nodded and said, "I think I understand the concept already. Do you know any strategies and tactics?" Every word that Yixing said, Joonmyun made a copy in his head. Yixing replied, "The most direct strategy is simply to avoid being hit, trapped, or held in a stand-off. A "running game" describes a strategy of moving as quickly as possible around the board, and is most successful when a player is already ahead in the race--" As Yixing explained Joonmyun stared at his face. He thought, "Yixing looks really handsome when he is serious. He is really a good friend, willing to stay up this late to help me." Slowly his eyelids drooped and he fell asleep with his head resting on Yixing's shoulder. 
 
Meanwhile Yifan was finally done looking through the reports submitted by various magistrates he appointed in different cities and towns. Stifling back a yawn he shook the sleepiness out of his head. While working his mind waa constantly thinking about Joonmyun and tomorrow's competition. Eunuch Chen suggested, "It's getting late, Your Majesty. Why don't you take a rest? Do you want to flip the tags tonight?" Yifan frowned at the thought. He said, "No. I don't want to go see those women tonight." Eunuch Chen shook his head sadly. He said, getting down on his knees, "Your Majesty, you must think of the kingdom. You need to produce an heir. Even if Your Majesty punish me I must say it. Previous emperors had male consorts and concubines. But you can't spend all your time with them. An emperor need to produce an heir to become the next emperor." 
 
Yifan sighed and said, "Please get up, Eunuch Chen. You've been looking after me ever since I was a child. I could never punish you. And I understand your good intentions but--" He was interrupted by the guards outside. "What are you two doing here in the middle of the night without Your Majesty's consent?!" A frightened voice replied, "W-We're looking for Consort M-Myun...We didn't mean to c-come here..." Yifan recognized the voice as En-yee's. He got up and hurried out. When the guards and servants saw him they all greeted, "Your Majesty!" 
 
Yifan looked down at the two servants and asked, "Where is Consort Myun?" He knew Joonmyun would never obediently stay put. Ping-yi replied, "Consort M-Myun wanted to go to the library b-but he didn't ask for the directions. He might be lost..." Yifan's eyebrows furrowed together. He said, "I'm going to--" A servant ran up to Yifan. It was Luhan's servant Chun-hua. "Your Majesty, Concubine Lu is in pain. He's been throwing up for a while." Yifan's eyes widened as he ran off to Luhan's Chamber. 
 
Luhan was lying on the bed crying in pain. His little face was pale white and covered in cold sweat. Yifan ran into the room and sat down on the bed. Seeing Yifan, Luhan started crying even harder. "Y-Yifan-gege..." Yifan gently held Luhan up onto his chest, securing his arm around the tiny waist. He asked softly, "Where does it hurt?" Luhan said, through his cries "My s-stomach..." Yifan placed his big, warm palm over Luhan's stomach and rubbbed it gently. Luhan pressed his face into the crook of Yifan's neck, sobbing. Angry, Yifan yelled to Chun-hua, "Where is the doctor?!" Chun-hua replied, "The doctor came already. He said Concubine Lu ate something that does not agree to him. He will have to hurt through the night." He grunted, signalling her to leave. 
 
Yifan carefully lifted up Luhan's face and asked softly, "Why are you so disobedient? Didn't I tell you not to eat everything you see?" Even though his mouth was teasing his heart was aching. Luhan sniffled and said, "You are so busy...When you don't have time for me I eat." He pouted cutely, with a red nose and puffy eyes. He leaned closer into Yifan comfortably as another pang of pain hit him. He swallowed down a whimper and said, "I'm feeling better now. You can leave now. Joonmyun is waiting for you." 
 
Yifan frowned and asked, "Are you pushing me away? Do you hate seeing me now?" Luhan sniffled, pulling away from Yifan. He leaned onto the wall for support and said, "Even if you don't leave now you will leave after I fall asleep. Just go!" Yifan became very annoyed at Luhan's unreasonable behavior. He stood up and said, in a mean tone "Don't regret it! I'm never coming back ever again." He turned his back, thinking that would scare Luhan. But instead he heard a 'thump'. He quickly turned back to see a pale-faced Luhan half-unconscious sprawled on the bed. He scooped Luhan into his arms and cooed, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, Luhan!" 
 
Luhan opened his tired eyes and tears rolled down. He bit his bottom lip to hold back his sob. Yifan leaned down and planted a kiss on his forehead. He said softly, "I thought you told me to spend more time with Joonmyun. Are you jealous now?" Luhan quickly shook his head. He said, "I'm not jealous. I just want you to stay with me at night. I get scared when I suddenly wake up and you're gone..." His tears dropped onto Yifan's hand. Yifan pressed his lips against Luhan's ear and whispered apologetically, "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, Luhan. I should've known...I'm so sorry." Luhan relaxed in Yifan's arms and whispered, "You're really important to me, Yifan-gege." Then he fell asleep. Yifan pulled the blanket over them as he continued holding that pose. He was worried about Joonmyun and wanted to go search for him but he didn't want to leave Luhan. 
 
The next morning Joonmyun was awoken by the sunlight shining through the windows. He wanted to continue sleeping but knew he had to wake up and deal with the Persian witch. Opening his eyes slowly to adjust to the light, he looked around to find Yixing. However there was no one in the library. He stood up and Yixing's cloak slid down his back. Joonmyun's heart fluttered when he picked it up. Then he noticed a note on the bench. He read, "It was a pleasure to be able to spend the night together. But I have works for me to attend and can't stay until you wake up. Good luck today on the backgammon game. I believe in you." Joonmyun smiled and placed the note carefully into his sleeve. 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
 
The game was getting intense and no one dared to breathe or make a sound. However Joonmyun paid extra attention to the strategies Yixing taught him and won. The witch looked up horrified and asked, "How--How did you win? How do you know the strategies to win?" Yifan was impressed but had a lot of questions to ask Joonmyun. He thought, "He was very worried last night and disappeared until this morning. How did he suddenly become so educated in the game?" Joonmyun only smiled. He said, "Since we were able to solve the game why don't you present us with the third item as well? Let's not waste anymore time and get it over with." Yixing had made a few suggestions on what the third item could be and gave him sort explanations. 
 
The Holy Witch shared an uneasy look with the Ambassador and nodded. The Ambassador opened his luggage case and slowly took out a jeweled box and handed it to the witch. The witch exclaimed, "China Emperor, you are needed to be able to solve the third item. Please come down." Yifan agreed and stepped down from his throne. He stood beside Joonmyun and asked, "What is the third item? Present it right now." Joonmyun noticed that the witch's hand snuck under the box and pressed the bottom. Within the speed of lightning Joonmyun saw her hand pull out a dagger and stab it toward Yifan. Without thinking he blocked Yifan and the blade pierced into his stomach. He grunted, falling into Yifan's arms. The guards heard the commotion and rushed in, taking the witch and Ambassador away. 
 
Yifan picked up Joonmyun and ran off to find the doctor. Joonmyun's red blood dyed the gold fabric of Yifan's robe. Yifan shouted, "We're almost there! Stay awake!" Joonmyun was in a lot of pain. He was starting to lose his consciousness. He called out weakly, in his native language "Mother...Joonmyun miss you so much...Joonmyun wants to hug you again...Mother..." He coughed out a mouthful of blood. Yifan got very worried and scared. He yelled, "No! Kim Joonmyun don't die on me! We're almost there!" Finally he barged into the Medical Chamber and yelled, "Everyone come out right now!" All the doctors rushed out and greeted him. He carefully placed Joonmyun on the loungechair and ordered, "Save him!" The doctors went to work immediately. 
 
One doctor walked up to Yifan and informed, "Your Majesty, I just came back from Concubine Lu's Chamber. He fainted earlier in the morning and has a high fever right now." Yifan gasped, not knowing whether to stay or to visit Luhan. Just then Yixing hurried into the room and greeted, "Your Majesty." Yifan turned and saw a frantic Yixing. He asked, "Why are you here, Yixing? I thought you were training the army this morning." Yixing nodded and said, "I was. But then I received news that you were attacked. Are you hurt?" Yifan shook his head. Then he held onto Yixing's arm and said, "Do me a favor. Joonmyun blocked an attack for me and was stabbed. I have to go right now and I need you to stay to watch him." Without waiting for Yixing's response he took one look at Joonmyun and hurried away. 
 
Yixing walked over to the doctors and asked, worried "How is Consort Myun? Is he in any danger?" The doctor hesitated but said, "We don't dare to pull out the dagger. There may be a chance of death from lost of blood." Yixing went to Joonmyun's side and whispered, "Joonmyun, I'm Yixing. I'm here right now." Joonmyun slowly opened his eyes. Everything was blurry. He felt a warm hand hold onto his. There was a low whisper, "Joonmyun, trust me. I won't let anything happen to you. I'm going to pull out the dagger. If you die, Yixing will follow after." Joonmyun squeezed back weakly. Yixing could feel Joonmyun's grasp. He wrapped his free hand on the handle of the dagger and pulled it out. Joonmyun screamed as blood gushed out the wound. Then he fainted.