Chapter Three

A Caged Bird From Joseon

A/n no ones in love with anyone yet just saying. Well maybe luhan's in love with yifan. Maybe. Enjoy (:

Walking into Luhan's Chamber, Yifan smiled at the sounds if happy chatting. He exclaimed, entering the bedroom "Very good! My Luhan is finally making friends. And with my favorite consort." His presence startled the two. Joonmyun got up to greet Yifan while Luhan stay seated. "Welcome, Your Majesty." Yifan ignored Joonmyun and sat down besides Luhan. He asked, teasingly "Why aren't you this friendly with other consorts and concubines?" Luhan pouted and said, "The other jeh-jehs don't like to play with me because I'm a boy. It's all your fault!" Yifan leaned down and planted a kiss on Luhan's pouty pink lips. 

 
Joonmyun felt very out of place and said, "If Joonmyun is not needed, Your Majesty, farewell." He squatted slightly and prepare to leave. But Yifan said, "Who said you're not needed?" Joonmyun stopped in his track. Yifan kissed Luhan again and said, "I have some political problems I want to discuss with Consort Myun. Do you want to stay and listen?" Joonmyun noticed that every time Yifan talked to Luhan his voice dripped with patience and love. He laughed inwardly at this sight. Luhan scrunched up his little nose and complained, "That sounds very boring though. How about you two talk and I'll go see if there are any snacks in the kitchen?" Yifan swiped his finger over Luhan's nose and said, "But you must promise to be careful. And don't eat too much like last time." Luhan pouted and walked away. He remembered, though, to wave farewell to Joonmyun. 
 
Yifan looked at Joonmyun and asked, "Aren't you tired just standing there? Take a seat." Joonmyun wasn't tired but did as he was ordered. Yifan hated seeing an emotionless Joonmyun; he hated not being able to read Joonmyun like a book. He asked, "Are you jealous of Luhan?" Joonmyun doesn't understand what Yifan meant by 'jealous'. Yifan continued, "Do you want me to treat you the same way Luhan gets treated?" Joonmyun finally laughed. Yifan frowned at his reaction. Joonmyun said calmly, "There's a Chinese saying: No flower stays red for one hundred days. As Joonmyun has stated before, Your Majesty have over three thousand consorts and concubines and more are to come. Affection can only last so long until someone new sparks Your Majesty's interest." 
 
Yifan squint his eyes at Joonmyun, studying him. "Are you accusing that one day I will throw Luhan aside when I find someone better?" Joonmyun knew that he had offended the Emperor. But he meant every word he said. He replied, "After talking with Luhan I realized that we are the same kind of people. He grew up without choices and locked up inside four walls. But unlike me he has a reason to stay put instead of trying to spread his wings." Yifan shook his head. He said, "The Lord loves Luhan a lot and wanted him to stay protected. I'm sure your parents wanted to protect you from the harm of the outside world as well." 
 
Joonmyun looked into Yifan's eyes and said, one word at a time "I wasn't being protected. I was being prepared to be given to you as a peace offering. My life was decided for me since the day I was born." Yifan didn't think Joonmyun would say something like that. He thought Joonmyun was going to keep up his calm exterior. He cleared his throat trying to break the awkwardnedd between them. Joonmyun noticed that he said too much. He said, "Your Majesty, Joonmyun isn't feeling too well. Can I be excused back to my Chamber?" Joonmyun was afraid that if he stayed longer he would expose even more. 
 
Yifan stated, "I actually do have something to discuss with you. Stay for now and I'll have someone you back to your Chamber later. What you suggested yesterday about the compensation with Gaochang was a success. The villagers praised how we were a great nation and helped them revive their village." Joonmyun smiled and said, "Congratulations, Your Majesty. It's all due to Your Majesty's great leadership that the nation is able to gain support from the smaller countries. The best way to gain people's approval is to do onto others as you want onto you." Joonmyun has been taught by two of the best retired Imperial scholars in Joseon. 
 
Yifan was impressed with Joonmyun's knowledge. He has heard many rumors regarding the Joseon beauty but only now believe them. Yifan said, "We normally get a two hundred barrels of grain, six boxes of sheep wool and five million gold yearly as tax from Persia. This year their ambassador bought a witch them with three magic items. If our nation can't present one intelligent person to solve the magic items I will have to grant them to pay half of the items." Yifan knew that only Joonmyun was smart enough to help him. If he couldn't find someone then it'd make his nation look like a fool. 
 
Joonmyun agreed, "Joonmyun will help in any way Your Majesty needs me to. I'm not sure if I'm intelligent enough but I will do my best for Your Majesty." Yifan patted Joonmyun's hand gently. He promised, "If you succeed I will grant you any wish. Other than leaving the palace I can give you anything you desire." Joonmyun was surprised by the warmth over his hand. He wanted it to stay there longer. But then there were rushed footsteps approaching. They both turned to see Luhan running in with two plates of cakes in his hands. Yifan quickly got up to help him, catching him by the waist. He cooed, "Why were you running? Do you know that you could fall?" Luhan smiled shyly and said, "The chef made chrysanthemum cake and gui hua gao. They're your favorite." Yifan smiled and took the plates, setting them down on the table. Luhan took a seat and started feeding Yifan. 
 
Yifan held up a piece and offered it to Joonmyun. Luhan took it an said, "Joonmyun said he's still not used to eating our Chinese cuisine. He gets sick from eating our food." Joonmyun looked uncomfortable as Luhan shared his information with Yifan. He quickly added, "Joonmyun is getting better. It's just some flavors make me nauseous." Yifan frowned and the food in front of him turned tasteless. He asked, "How come no one informed me? Do I need to replace your chef with someone familiar with Joseon cuisine?" Joonmyun shook his head. 
 
He got up and said, "Your Majesty, Joonmyun is really tired. Can I be excused back to my Chamber?" Luhan looked at Yifan hopefully. Yifan nodded and said, "You may go back to your Chamber." Joonmyun squatted slightly and left. Luhan leaned onto Yifan's arm and whined, "Do you like Joonmyun?" Yifan smirked and asked, pinching Luhan's waist "Are you jealous?" Luhan pushed Yifan gently and said, "Yifan-gege! How could you think of me like that? Joonmyun is really nice and he seems so lonely. You should go visit him more and play with him." Yifan pulled Luhan into his arms and rocked him gently. His mind is evaded by images of Joonmyun. 
 
Walking back into his Chamber, Joonmyun caught a smell of hus favorite homeland food. He thought it was his imagination playing tricks on his senses. In his room he saw someone sitting, with his back facing him. He asked carefully, "Who are you?" The person stood up and turned to greet him, "Welcome, Consort Myun. I am Zhang Yixing, the General for Your Majesty." Joonmyun smiled, remembering him from last night. He said, "I remember you. Your Majesty told me that the Gaochang villagers are grateful of the compensation." He took a seat and gasped, seeing the food on the table. There was sok mieum, naengmyeon, and his favorite donga mandu. He looked at Yixing in shock. Yixing took a seat a well and said, "I spent three years overseas at Joseon and learnt some of their cooking. I hope they won't taste bad. Would Consort Myun mind taste-testing for Yixing?" 
 
Joonmyun picked up the pair of chopsticks with trembling hands and got a piece of fish. He tried it and almost immediately warm tears rolled down his eyes. Yixing gasped and got down on his knees. He apologized, "Please punish Yixing. I shouldn't have made Consort Myun taste-test such horrible cooking." Joonmyun shook his head and helped Yixing up. He said, "I-It's not your fault. Your cooking is wonderful. I feel as if I'm eating my mother's cooking. Please don't blame yourself." Yixing smiled and sat down again. He said, "I wanted to thank you personally for helping with Gaochang. I asked your servant Ping-yi and he told me you haven't been eating well. I thought if I made some Joseon food for you it'll satisfy your tastebuds." 
 
Joonmyun smiled and asked, "Can we be friends? Can you stop by when you are free to discuss politics?" Yixing nodded sincerely. He said, "I'm honored to be Consort Myun's friend." He was really interested in Joonmyun and wanted to spend more time with him. Joonmyun said, "When we're alone you can call me 'Joonmyun'.  I am a man nonetheless and it's really uncomfortable being treated as a woman." He admired Yixing; being a young general and being able to travel wherever he wants to go. He asked, "Would you mind sharing stories with me on your battles and adventures?" Yixing nodded happily. His wives and mistresses never cared enough to hear him talk about his experiences. All they cared about was fighting with one another for his affection. 
 
Joonmyun felt more daring than ever. He asked, carefully "Do you think you will be able to bring me out of the palace sometimes?" Yixing froze a bit. He was surprised why anyone would want to leave the glamorous palace where it's safe and sound. He's been to many places and seen a lot of people suffering from poverty and widespread of plagues. Joonmyun thought he's angered Yixing and said, "Forget it. I know it's too much to ask for. I don't want you to get in trouble for me." Yixing smiled and patted Joonmyun's hand reassuringly. He said, "Now's not a good time. Soon when the time is right I will bring you out for a stroll and take you around the city. I promise." Even though Joonmyun knew it would happen his heart still felt warm. 
 
After telling Joonmyun about his encounter with the Turks, Yixing left to finish his work. Once again Joonmyun was alone and abandoned. He looked out the window and realized that the moon was already up. He thought, "I wonder if he will come over tonight." But quickly shook the idea away and mentally slapped himself. He got up and went to take a bath. Afterwards he walked into his bedroom, ready to sleep. He screamed when he saw a figure laying on his bed. The person sat up and asked, annoyed "Are you that afraid of me?" It was Yifan. Settling down his beating heart Joonmyun greeted, "Welcome, Your Majesty." 
 
Yifan made room on the bed and said, "Come on and sleep. It's getting late." Joonmyun hesitated, unsure if it was safe to be on the same bed with Yifan again. Yifan laid down again and said through gritted teeth, "I don't have much patience. Don't make me repeat myself twice." Joonmyun took off his outerwear and shoes. Then he crawled onto the bed, careful not to hurt Yifan. Sandwiched between the wall and Yifan, Joonmyun's body stiffened. Sensing Joonmyun's discomfort, Yifan pulled him into his arms. Joonmyun blushed and asked, scared "W-What are you doing, Your Majesty?" 
 
Yifan took a sniff of Joonmyun's hair and sighed satisfiedly. He muttered, tired "I won't do anything to you tonight. We still have to face that Persian witch tomorrow. Go to sleep." Yifan slowly closed his eyes and quickly fell asleep. Joonmyun's body finally eased. He rested his head against Yifan's chest. Suddenly he felt very relaxed and comfortable. But then he also felt guilty for being so hungry; hungry for the Emperor's affection. He thought, "If only you weren't the mighty emperor and I wasn't born to be a sacrifice...I'm off in a foreign country without my family. The only thing I have now is this man in front of me." Joonmyun slowly fell asleep as well. 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
 
The Persian witch stood proudly before the king. The lower half of her face was covered but her large blue eyes were revealed. The subjects looked worriedly at Yifan; who looked extremely confident. He asked, boredly "What will be the first magic item for us to solve?" The Ambassador whispered something to the witch. Then he said, "China Emperor, the our Holy Witch wants to know if you've already found an intelligent person to represent your nation." Yifan smirked and clapped his hands, signalling Joonmyun to appear. Once again everyone was stunned by Joonmyun's beauty. His long black hair was flowing down his back. 
 
Though mesmerized the Ambassador pointed out loudly, "That man is not Chinese! How can he represent the China nation? Unless Chinese people are really useless pigs who needs to rely on foreigners for help." His words made Yifan furious. The Prime Minister quickly stated, "Your Majesty, don't shoot the messenger." Joonmyun, however, was very calm. He started walking towards the Ambassador and reasoned, "You're right. I am not Chinese. I was sent from Joseon to marry the Emperor. There's a Chinese saying which goes 'if you marry a chicken you follow the chicken'. Therefore not only am I not a foreigner, I am the Emperor's consort and have every right to represent China. Am I correct?" 
 
The Ambassador was speechless and didn't know how to rebute with Joonmyun standing merely a few steps from him. The witch pushed him aside and pulled out a large crystal ball. She hissed, "There are two holes, one on each side of the ball. However, inside, there are five hundred different paths and deadends. Only one will lead to the right hole. If you can thread a piece of string across then you win this round." She held out the ball to Joonmyun. Yifan gasped at the task, fearing that Joonmyun won't be able to succeed. Instead of panicking like everyone else Joonmyun simply took the ball and headed out of the Grand Hall. All the subjects started whispering words of fear. The Ambassador laughed hysterically and exclaimed, "China Emperor, looks like your consort failed and decided to leave!" 
 
Just as Yifan was about to argue he smiled. Joonmyun walked back in with a triumph look on his face. Everyone's eyes focused on the crystal ball in his hand which had a piece of red string threaded through. The witch cried, "That's impossible! How--How did you do it?" Joonmyun handed the ball back to the witch and said, "It was quite simple. All I had to do was find an ant, attach the string onto it and it will be able to bring the string right through." The witch grunted and stormed out of the hall. The Ambassador yelled, "We still have two more items! This shall continue tomorrow!" Then he ran out after the witch. Joonmyun smiled happily, looking at Yifan.