Little Sister

I Won't Give Up On Us

It’s been a long while now since Onew last visited Jihyo’s grave. There’s no doubt. He misses her. And he missed her the most when he goes there and talk to her. He was busier than ever again. After going out of the hospital he just rested for a few days at their dorm and attended their schedules once again. Luckily he got some time to visit her today. Some of his schedules were cancelled.

 

It was Jihyo’s birthday so he went to the chicken restaurant to see if Jihyo’s mom is already done packing the food offerings they would bring to Jihyo’s grave. They decided to just take a bus there. He knew no one will recognize him when he’s just wearing normal clothes. He likes it when he move and travel around like a normal person. He likes being just LEE JINKI.

 

For the first time since he went there, he felt nervous for no reason at all. He wanted to just enter the restaurant but something felt strange. He thought maybe it was because it’s been over a year since he visited the place though it was just blocks away from their dorm. He never went there again after the accident because it brings back painful and yet happy memories.

 

He sighed and ended up opening the door for he wasn’t sure if he would just call Jihyo’s mom out or he would just wait for her to come out. Memories flooded once more when he saw a figure of a girl busying herself with something. It was just like before. Whenever he enters with the door bell ringing Jihyo would be standing there looking at the door and smiling when she sees him.

 

Without a second thought he rushed over to where the girl is standing. Then he did what he usually does. He hugged her. The girl froze in confusion. Onew wasn’t aware of it yet for he was happy at the thought that it was Jihyo. And for him it felt like she is still there.

 

But then a sudden realization hit Onew. The smell of the girl is totally different. He suddenly let go and almost stumble backwards doing so. He froze when he saw the face of the girl he hugged; it was full of confusion and she was paled in shock. He looked at her once again to confirm the girl’s identity. It was none other than Hwang Sunmi; Jihyo’s little sister.

 

Lee Jinki, did you just do? He thought to himself realizing what he had done.

 

“I’m sorry.” It’s all he could say. He is still calming himself from the excitement of seeing Jihyo once again that is just a mere mistake.

 

Sunmi gave him a pitiful look. The girl knew how he was after the accident because she saw it all. She tried giving him a genuine smile.

 

“Annyeong haseyo Onew-ssi.” Sunmi greeted him awkwardly. He tried to laugh it out but he failed in the end.

 

“So you’re still here. I thought you’ve gone back to Canada?” He tried to converse with her despite the awkwardness between them.

 

Sunmi looked at him for a while, maybe a bit confused of why he was conversing to her like that. Again, he felt that similarity between Sunmi and Jihyo. They never did look-alike but Onew felt like they were alike whenever he sees Sunmi. Those thoughts started running to Onew’s mind again.

 

“I’m going to stay here for a while. My dad would also come here for business. He told me to stay a little bit longer. He told me I could stay with my mom and helped her in here. It was really fun doing chores here though I would be doing it just for a while. I’m really glad mom asked me to stay.” She explained to him excitedly like nothing ever happened.

 

And there, Onew thought it was cute. She was like a kid who’s telling a nice story of how she dreamt of a town full of candies. It was cute of her. That was not likely of Jihyo at all. He chuckled without feeling awkward anymore.

 

“Oh. That’s cool. We can hang out together for a while.” He suggested to which he regretted saying. Those words slipped out of his mouth without notice and for no reason at all.

 

Sunmi looked at him confusedly again. But then she smiled after a while. Maybe she realized it was not a bad thing.

 

“That would be great! I was thinking of knowing my almost brother-in-law. And hanging out around Seoul also seems fine. I’ve never actually toured around here.” She told him.

 

Onew scratched his head. He just got himself into trouble. Now, how would he explain to her that he has a lot of schedules? He himself suggested hanging out together. He would look bad if she disappoints her. And he wouldn’t have wanted that.

 

“Uhmm… well…”

 

Onew find it hard to explain to her everything. She was expecting yes as an answer. He knew it just by looking at her. She was like a kid waiting for her dad to say the magic word. He was afraid she might burst out crying if he told her sorry that he can’t actually go with her.

 

They were both busy talking with each other that they didn’t knew Jihyo’s mom finished preparing the food offerings. She went out of the kitchen seeing the two of them together. She is so glad seeing Onew with a smile on his face again.

 

“Good thing you’re here now Jinki-ah.” She called him happily.

 

She is so happy to see him again. She knew how that little boy suffered after the accident. She never blamed him on what happened but she knew that the boy was still blaming himself all along. And she wished he would stop doing that for it wasn’t his fault at all. It was just an accident. And it was all in the past now.

 

Onew felt relieved that she came out of the kitchen at last. He still doesn’t know what to do or to say to Sunmi. He felt a fang of pain looking at her again. He was still sorry to her. And he would forever be.

 

“Ne eommonim. Of course I wouldn’t miss going there with you. It’s a privileged.” Onew answered sweetly and rushed to her to help with what she’s carrying. He became as cheerful as ever again. She touched Onew’s face out of fondness.

 

“He’s such a sweet child Sunmi-ah. It’s really a pity that you’re sister left early. I was expecting them to end up together.” She told Sunmi then hugging Onew afterwards. Her eyes started tearing up.

 

Onew heard a soft sob from her. He started patting her back. He was also sad about what happened. He also thought Jihyo and he would end up together but it already happened. Although he wasn’t fully healed, he needs to get back from his life and he knew he needs to move on. Eventually, he knew he could move on. He knew he could, with the help of the people around him.

 

“Mom! I’m getting jealous of you two! You seem to love Onew-ssi a lot. How about me? I’m still here!” Sunmi vented out. She really sounded jealous and Onew can’t help but burst into laughter.

 

 Aigoo. This kid. How can I not think she’s cute? Onew thought with a lot of fondness over her.


Edited: October 19, 2015