The Tall Kid

Enemies

First of all, I'm sorry for the confusing begining so just to make it clear read the following, if you are perfectly fine you can skip this if you want but it may help you for better understanding(?): South Korea's government is acting as a dictatorship.  Let's call it a 'modern dictatorship', no revolts-no fights to come to power, and once there, they act according to their own interests. Since they control most of the economy of the country, all the media and the legal system is tainted it's easy to keep their citizens ignorant to what happens. But obviously, not everyone can be brainwashed that easily and the riots start. At the moment Yongguk is the leader of the rebels and with him, Daehyun, Jonguppie and Zelo. On the other side we have Himchan ( a commander) and Jaejae (the scientist who is making all the weapons) working for the government AND they know what's going on.

I'm sorry for the confusion and hope everything is fine now. Anyways, thank you for letting me know your doubts. :)

I know this is not the place to put it but my inner Bang Yongguk is demanding it: not always trust what TV says, compare information from different sources and be open minded. We can make the world a better place.

Okay, my act of protest is done now,once more I apologize for any mistakes or misspellings. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

   “ Okay Junhong, you can do it, just remember everything Daehyun hyung told you” the poor kid tried to reach the line to enroll into the government's youth party, lost in the sea of people mumbling between his teeth everything he had to keep in mind “ Hello! My name is Zelo. Mmm...no.” he tried again “Hi, Zelo is the name. Yeah, with z, cool, isn't it? Ugghhh! No!” he abruptly stopped, some people bumping into him “ Just...just be yourself, an enthusiastic guy who is going to join his government dictatorship, yaaay!” and with his best fake smile he started his way again.

 

 

   Youngjae was surprised when Himchan practically dragged him out of his 'tiny' apartment -as his friend used to refer to his place only because he expected something bigger considering what he earned at the end of the month- and took him out. The sun was bright in the sky and as they keep walking to the center the noise of people getting done their regular and daily activities increased. They may be at an uneasy political moment, fights breaking out every moment and wounded citizens filling fast the hospitals but those in power had made an amazing work hiding most of the news from the inhabitants and using propaganda against the insurgents, even the fact that Seoul was not taken was playing to their favor: the residents knew about some of the revolts, but it appeared to look so far away that nobody Youngjae knew outside the office seemed to care about it.

 

   “What are we doing here, again?” he asked the blonde haired man as they approached the tables were men and a few teenagers were waiting to enlist.

 

   “Just checking the new cadets, pal, I'm sure I will be able to find a hottie to keep on my bed some nights. You can only look, not touch though. I don't want my baby to be an item with one of these guys...they might not be back after a mission outside” the elder replied, his tone darkening as he finished the sentence. Youngjae stared intently at him before scoffing at how his hyung stated rules he wasn't even able to abide, trying to break the uneasy silence, and glared the line of young men moving towards the tables getting a loud 'I told you look at them, not eye them Yoo Youngjae!' from his sassy mate, getting all eyes focused on him while trying to avoid any kind of eye contact, his cheeks burning from embarrassment. When he lifted his head again he met a pair of curious eyes, scanning him from head to toe, a surprised look in the face of an abnormally tall boy that he was not sure was old enough to be there. He was by far the youngest he had seen in the line. The young teen looked away and changed his weight from one leg to another, his eyes suddenly widened like he just remembered something important and faced Youngjae once more with a shy smile. He didn't hesitate to give a warming one back.

 

   “He is too young for you.” Himchan commented in low voice, gazing the kid.

 

   “He is not even my type, Himchan hyung.” The blonde guy brought his grinning face close to the younger's. “What?” He ignored the surly tone of the question and moved his face even closer.

 

   “And who may be your type Youngjae ah~?”

 

   “Himchan hyung” after a few seconds of silence and bewilderment the dark haired man seemed willing to answer “ Run.”

 

   “What?” Confusion all over him as he titled his head waiting for him to continue.

 

   “Run. I'm giving you time to save your life so run.”

 

   “Pfffft, Youngjae, we're talking about you here, my lovely fluff- aaaaaaaaaahhhhh” Himchan badly dodged the first kick and in stead of waiting for the second, began running between whines and complaints followed by an encouraged Youngjae.

 

 

 

 

    He didn't remember the last time he had laughed so much and so out loud he thought as he entered the building. Himchan was one of the best things that could ever happened in his life after him joining the government force, he made sure he felt loved and cared, a perfect mood maker despise how horrible their positions could be and what not, a decent cook, but terribly bad with languages- seriously what's hurricane in english? He couldn't believe he was a commander. They ended kneeling on the floor of a random street, trying to catch their breath before bursting in peals of laughter.

 

Humming a song, he opened his lab's door, some coworkers already focused on his devices designs and a blondish mop of hair turning in circles in his desk chair. Youngjae stopped it gently to be faced with a smart smile.

 

   “Last time I checked it was my seat, dear....” He waited for the name but nothing came out from the young lady in front of him.

 

   “ Last time I checked, my dear, the seniority in the job mattered” she replied snarkily and outstretched her arm and shook hands with him “My name is Dani.”

 

   He opened his mouth in surprised, forming a perfect 'o' with his lips.

 

   “I-”

 

   “I know who you are. I've read practically all your projects and-”

 

 

   “ I know, I know,” she cut him dismissively this time, shocking Youngjae. He was considered a genius, plus his young age everyone respected him and listen to him paying full attention even if he was just talking about how amazing the tetris was. Now understood why she was Himchan's 'favorite' brain under his command. “ I need you to make me a favor”

 

   “Sure!” he replied maybe too fast and maybe too loud “ Tell me what I can do for you, it's a pleasure to help you.” She smiled warmly at him.

 

   “One of the new recruits who enlisted today is to young to enroll.” Youngjae nodded in understanding “After I read his papers I have the belief he gave fake information but all his background matches, there's nothing wrong with it but something doesn't feel right, you know? I want you to have an interview with him and suggest Himchan to give that kid to your lab, or mine, whatever you prefer, since he can not go back now. Is that okay?”

 

   Youngjae nodded again slowly, a tall boy in his thoughts.

 

   “ May I ask why?”

 

   “ I have younger brothers, Youngjae, and I don't want them to go to war, no matter how significant a revolution can be. That's why. I put his file on your desk and you have the view with him in...”she checked her watch” 30 minutes, hope you read fast.”

 

 

 

   Youngjae wasn't wrong when he was suspicious about the kid when he saw him in the line but he didn't expect a huge folder as a record. I mean...the kid couldn't be older than 18, the young scientist was almost sure he was younger than that, how could he have so many papers related to him. He glanced through the window at him, sit in the middle of a small and cold room. He furrowed his eyebrows in concern before shaking his head and letting a loud sigh leave his lips.

 

   Junhong jumped from his chair when the door firmly opened.

 

   He was not scared, but the next level of fear.

 

   Failing his mission, disappointing Yongguk, not being able to see Jongup again and he accomplished to do all of that in less than 10 hours. Fantastic. Even when this guy, who went by K.O., L.O or something like that told him not to worry, that it probably was a regular check up, didn't help him at all. He breathed in and out slowly, trying to relax his tense body as he was led to that oppressive office and wiped the sweat from his hands in his pants.

   Daehyun informed him that he was supposed to meet with 'someone' who would take care of him while being there, in enemy territory but nothing.

 

   And now he was there, slightly trembling in front of the handsome young man waiting at the frame door. He recognized him as the 'ert eye ing people in the line with his noisy friend' and wasn't sure if that was a good or a bad thing. His eyes widened to the realization that maybe he was his secret help, already met twice a day and despise his nickname, the guy in front of him didn't seem a bad dude. Like bad meaning bad.

 

   “Come on, Zelo-ssi, I'm getting old here! Move those long legs, kid. One, two; one two, go, go,go.”

 

 

   They didn't talk on their way until the elder let him come in into an old coffee shop, sweet smell in the air, and ordered something to eat.

   “Sorry for bringing you there, Zelo-ssi, it's not a nice play to keep waiting. Sorry about that.” he apologized as drank a sip from his beverage. “My name is Yoo Youngjae and I read your application, really interesting gotta confess.” The other shifted uneasily in his place. “ You have to tell me something?”

 

   “ Youngjae hyung...are you going to take care of me?”

 

 

 

 

    Youngjae gasped, finding difficult to breathe at the moment. He...he did not expect that answer. Zelo was just a lost child. The same as him, when he decided to enroll. Flashbacks of his memories passed before him, his parents, his house, his monotonous life...and the cops forcefully entering and destroying everything in their path,the haunt and the closed doors.

 

Then he found Himchan.

 

Although it was more correct to state that Himchan found him.

 

He shook lightly his head, trying somehow to forget and come back to the present to find the worried look on the younger's eyes, still waiting for a reply.

 

   “I'll take care of you, okay?” the boy sighed relieved, a grateful smile in his lips. “ Always.”

 

   “Thank you, hyung.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

   Jongup woke up two days later, folded paper still in his hand.

 

   And everybody refused to talk about it, why he left, how was doing, did...did he miss him?

 

   Weeks passed, he kept training and doing some missions and rounds, few revolts happened lately and a couple more were to start at any time, they were trying to manage something big, all of them being a bundle of nerves and they had to kill the wait the best way they could: Hyosung cleaned everything at least three times everyday, Daehyun swallowed all the available food at an alarming pace and he knew nothing about Zico or Yongguk. The rest of members prepared themselves and safe points, possible plans B -they were so bored they were going by the letter N when he entered in the huge dining hall and took a seat.

 

   He, he just read again, again and again those four words.

 

   ' We will meet again.'

 

   He hoped so.

 

 

 

   Five days after, Daehyun running as a mad man through the corridor caught his attention, it didn't matter he was having a nice chat trying to make his mind to think about something else than Junhong's departure, a quick 'sorry' and he was following his steps.

His heartbeating increasing, nervous, worried and maybe a bit disturbed.

 

   “ That silly kid-” the brunette turned to see him and a few more as they came into the spacious room and took some seats while trying to catch his breath “That silly kid, he has hidden SO well the damn notes where he wrote the leaked info that I have not found 'em until 30 minutes ago!! And just by luck! I've been lookin' for 'em since forever.” He put all of the little notes on the table, Jongup surprised by the large amount. At that moment, everyone started to work, yelling and shouting to each other the new material acquired, writing on blackboards and papers, marking positions on maps :

 

   'I found the help. Everythin' is fine.'

 

   ' Testing new weapons- 12nd, 13th '

 

   'Reactors- area 21, 38'

 

   “...if we had found this before.”

 

   'DON'T CROSS THE RIVER”

 

   “ I know, man!”

 

   'South field movements- Mokpo, Masan, Busan DANGER'

 

   “ We still can use some of it.”

 

  'Somethin' seems wrong.'

 

 

   Yongguk, Jongup and Daehyun furrowed eyebrows, but the shouting kept going on.

 

 

   'ALERT- Gangeung'

 

   'New cadets (456)'

 

   'RUMOR- close the borders'

 

 

   Everyone stopped and looked at each other, panic and confusion in their eyes.

 

  “ Are-are you sure you read that well?” One of them asked shuttering.

 

   The individual with the dirty tiny paper nodded and read again.

 

   And chaos broke loose.

 

 

   Daehyun had to climb on the table to get the attention since their leader seemed in his own world making a plan -or at least he wanted to think that- and Jongup looked like a lost puppy while everybody was practically fighting with everybody.

 

   “G-guys! Guys! GUYYYYYS!!” when there was silence again he continued “It's a rumor, 'kay? Until that's verified, stop whining like idiots and move your asses, we got to do!”

Noise filled the room again quickly and Jongup moved near Daehyun once he was down.

 

   'New system-cam'

 

   “Hyung, you know that if that rumor's true we are kinda screwed, right?”

 

   The elder stared at him while more notes' contents were screamed from one corner to another. People around the world who believed in their cause were sending equipment, medical aids and funds secretly. Even some of them traveled there to assist.

 

   'Help's not help-sct'

 

 

   “The is sct !?'”

 

   “Dunno! Just write it down!”

 

 

   “ I know, Joungup but don't let the future distract you from the now.”

 

 

   'Movin'-3rd this month, scientist goes'

 

 

 

   This time a complete silence filled the place, every one of them frozen on their spots, until Yongguk's deep voice broke it.

 

   “Someone call Natasha and Seunghyun, they are movin' the goddamn scientist with 'em one day from now!!”

 

 

 

***

 

   Youngjae knew more than what he wanted and shared his thoughts more than what he wished.

 

   He knew Himchan liked his job but not what it implied- and he could understand why. Himchan loved playing the piano, the violin and several korean traditional instruments and one of Youngjae's dreams was to enter into an elegant place, his friend playing one of his compositions almost like a scene from a movie. Black suit, black hair, keep it classy.

He showed his affection by touching, even if that implied beating the out of you; because... well...he was the Kim Himchan.

 

   He also knew Zelo freaked out when they met for first time. Maybe he didn't say it like that but the exchange of strong language from one to another made it a bit clear. But he didn't complain when Himchan paid for everything. But he freaked out again when the elder complimented his and he finally dug his grave when he replied 'There's only one person who can touch me there and believe me, it's not you hyung.'

 

   Himchan felt offended, Zelo blushed and Youngjae laugh out loud at them.

 

 

   Youngjae knew he could get used to this- breakfast together, pick-on Himchan game, coffee in the afternoon- and it scared him to death.

   Most of his designs were incomplete in some sense and couldn't be done without him being there, even if they disassemble all of his inventions it would be a waste of money and time, everything was inside his head – and that was what kept him alive. He was a necessity for the dictatorship, they couldn't lose him and he took advantage of that, but that situation did not apply for his friends. They were not essential, they could be futures casualties, just another random number in a lost paper inside a lost folder somewhere in any office building.

 

He looked warmly at Zelo. They were getting closer and he was not sure if he could save him if the situation needed it.

 

He didn't want to lose his loved ones...once again.

 

 

   “Zelo, go straight to bed. We're leaving tomorrow early in the morning.”

 

 

***

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lilmonster's cute note:

Thank you to everyone who subscribed recently and I still have not thanked them personally!! I will!! ...soon~

Thanks again for the comments and hope you liked this chapter and was less confusing with the explanation. The chapter had lots of, let's say BAP "jokes"? There's even one reference to 2NE1, did you get that?!  :D  No?...Okay...

Hopefully DaeJae couple will meet in the next chapter, yaaaaay!! 

Please, let me know what you thought guys, any advices and tips and more questions are valued.

我 爱 你们 <3

 

Next Chapter: Hostages

 

'Are you something with that sassy princess?'

 

'Don't kill him!'

 

 

'You may shoot me down, but I'm not gonna fall.'

 

 

'I'm getting him back!!'