o2

Strength

 

It had been hours and that meant Myungsoo had been waiting for hours. He could not do anything properly due to his palpitating heart. Sometimes, he would sit but then he would stand up in a second before sitting down again.

He was totally anxious at the moment. His expression showed how panic he was. But then, realising how panic he was reminded him to the past years as his memory box started to recall a reminiscence that he wouldn’t easily forget and he knew he wouldn’t be able to delete it away from his mind.

 “He just moved his fingers!” he heard a faint voice shouted.

“Oh Lord, for real?” a familiar voice asked before a pair of hands cupped his cheeks. He heard a woman’s mere whisper in his ear, “My son, aren’t you going to wake up now?”

One second passed. Two seconds. Three seconds and a whole minute passed. Unfortunately, he did not open his eyes. As much as he wanted to wake up for them, but he couldn’t.

Then, he felt his hand was being touched with a warm and comfortable palm. “It’s been months—four months to be exact since you’ve been out. I miss you so much, son. I don’t have any wish but for you to wake up. Please open your eyes, Myungsoo. Just please, do it for me; your mother,” some wet tears dropped onto his hand and he nearly cried as well.

Myungsoo finally opened his eyes but his heart froze. Why couldn’t he see anything? Why was it still dark? He swore he thought he just opened his eyes earlier. Before he could get panicked, he was suddenly welcomed into a calming white surrounding.

“Where’s this? Heaven?” he wondered as he looked around in amusement.

“No, this is not Heaven,” a voice chirped from behind.

He made a quick turn and he was left in awe when he looked at the owner of the voice. “Son Naeun...” it felt like he was seeing an angel; well she sure deserved to be one.

She broke an angelic smile as tears streamed down her pale cheeks. “Never once it crossed my mind that you actually knew my name,” she said.

“Why did you think so? You’ve been my classmate ever since elementary school, of course your name has been pasted in my memory,” he told her.

She put her gaze down. “Since you’ve never looked at me; you’ve never smiled at me; you’ve never talked to me, you just never did anything and I felt you didn’t even notice my long presence around you,” she explained.

“Do I look that ignorant? Ever since my first day of elementary school, I’ve took notice of you, Son Naeun. How you prefer to be alone rather than playing with your friends; how you usually take the seat at the back of the class; and how you keep daydreaming during Math class too,” he chuckled at the last trait.

Naeun could feel her cheeks were reddening with his remarks about her especially the last one. She couldn’t believe he actually knew her habits. Why did she know this when she was no longer a living person?

“It’s impressive that you actually... know me when I thought you don’t,” she amused.

“Why did you have that thought?” he asked in curiosity.

Naeun let out a sigh from her parted lips. “Since it seems like you only care about Suzy,” she bitterly answered.

His face turned unreadable. “Why did you say such thing?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. It’s just my thought. Or maybe I’m slightly jealous at the attention she receives from you,” she chuckled sweetly at her own reply.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” his breath hitched at her answer. Did she somehow...?

“Yes, I do like you—no I love you. I’ve been in love with you ever since elementary days. Funny, isn’t it?” she forced out a small laughter from without realising her tears were falling again.

Myungsoo became hurt to see how she forced herself to laugh when she was in an actual sadness. Within a second, he pulled her into his sturdy built and let his arms wrapped around her slender form.

Naeun didn’t expect the sudden hug from him as she let her hands dropped by her side; not being able to move to wrap them on his waist. She was totally thrilled with the hug.

“I’m sorry for not realising it. I’m sorry if I did hurt you in any way. I’m so sorry for everything I’ve done towards you, Naeun,” he earnestly uttered as he tightened his hug on her. It somehow felt nice with the idea of her being in his embrace and how she perfectly fit in his enfold.

“You’ve done nothing wrong at all. Yet, you always did the right things which made me smile every day. You’re the source of my strength, Myungsoo,” she confessed as she patted his back gently as if she was comforting him.

“Am I really your strength?” he asked as he tenderly put his chin on her shoulder.

No word was exchanged as Naeun only nodded her head. She became conscious of the sudden silence as she told him her reason, “You’re my strength and you will forever be one. Do you know why? It’s because everything about you makes me grow strong and matured. I know it sounds strange but yeah, that’s the fact.”

“I have a question to ask you. Why did you choose to save me?” he breathed a sigh.

“I’m sticking with the same answer; because you are my strength. I feel it’s necessary to save you at the moment. Why should I let you die if I have the chance to save you? That’s the only thing I can do for you. And just to let you know, I’m not regretting it; not even one bit. I’m so pleased that I actually did save you, my one and only strength,” she firmly answered. She didn’t stutter a word at all because she had thought about it for a long time.

Myungsoo finally broke the intimate hug. “Are you an idiot? Sacrificing your life for me?” he suddenly burst out.

“Wow. Want to know something? You just called someone who saved you life as idiot. I’m so honoured,” Naeun sarcastically said as she looked at him.

He sighed again and put his palm on his forehead. “Look, I’m sorry but seriously, this is serious, Son Naeun. I feel indebted to you and I’m feeling guilty that you chose to save me.”

“Why couldn’t I save you when you yourself ran to save Suzy?” she inquired.

Myungsoo’s face formed a shade of red when Naeun boldly asked that. He was loss of words. “Well I—”

“Forget it, Myungsoo. Pretend I’ve never asked. I think we should stop this,” Naeun suddenly mentioned.

“Stop what?” he confusedly asked.

“It’s time for you to wake up from this long dream, Myungsoo. You should return to the place where you actually belong to,” she smiled.

“And to leave you here alone?” he asked in bewilderment.

“Yes. This is not your world, at least not yet. You need to go now, Myungsoo. Your family is waiting for you and she is too,” she pointed at an image of his mother and Suzy as she noticed his expression changed.

“Then I’ll go,” he was sad that how miserable his mother looked like at the playing image. Before he could go, a tiny hand grabbed his wrist.

“I’ll always pray for you, Kim Myungsoo. Good luck with your life,” Naeun encouragingly said with a smile pasted on her pretty face.

Myungsoo gave a gentle smile at her. “Thank you, Son Naeun. And remember, you’ll always be the most remembered person in my heart. Thank you for everything you did for me. And thank you for making me as your strength. I’ll always be strong because I know you’ll need my strength. Let’s meet again when my time has come and don’t ever throw me away from your memory because I won’t do that,” with that, he gave her a long kiss on the forehead.

Naeun was so contented with that. She knew now she would be able to let him go. “Thank you for the memories. I’ll always remember what you told me and you’ll always be my strength. I guess this is our goodbye. So, goodbye, Kim Myungsoo,” she bid her last farewell at him as her lips was smiling; a smile which belongs to an angel.

“Goodbye, Son Naeun,” Myungsoo’s world blackened once again and he could only remember Naeun’s pure smile.

Both of his eyes shot opened and he realised he was met with an unfamiliar surrounding once again. Magically, it was white again. He heard a familiar voice next to him.

“Kim Myungsoo my son, you’re finally awake!” his mother cried as she hugged his body as her tears fell because of happiness.

That was when it struck Myungsoo. He was in a hospital room. A place where he belongs to huh...

A male doctor in his thirties came in the ward in a rush with nurses trailed behind him. “Madam, I think we need to do some check-up on your son to know about his current condition. Do you mind to leave the room for a while?” he politely asked despite how stoic he looked like.

Myungsoo’s mother stiffly nodded her head before she trudged towards to the doorway. She gave a glance at his son before going out from the room. Minutes later, she was called by the nurse to come in the room.

She stormed towards her awaken son and his face delicately. She waited for him to speak but all he did was only looking at her without blinking.

“Y-You remember me, right?” she asked. She grew scared if his son didn’t remember her since according to the doctor, he had a brain concussion from the accident.

Myungsoo managed a small smile to his mother. “Mum, I do remember you,” his voice came out hoarse as it was his first words after four months of being in a comatose.

“Gladly telling that, your son is fine for now. With his current condition, I think he can be discharged within this week but I’ll need to see his progress in a few days before discharging him,” the doctor explained to Myungsoo’s mother before leaving the room in hurry.

His mother felt delightedly happy to hear that as she quickly gave pecks on every inch of Myungsoo’s face. “You don’t know how long have I been waiting for you to awake, son. Please don’t scare me anymore. I was so scared when the doctor told me you were at the verge of dying months ago that I could have died myself. I don’t want to lose you yet because you’re the only treasure that I have,” his mother’s eyes were covered with sadness as she nuzzled him softly.

Myungsoo’s hand slowly moved to his mother’s back as he gently it with all the energy he had. “I promise I’ll not scare you anymore, mum. And do acknowledge that you’re my one and only treasure as well,” he sweetly told her.

He looked at the window and saw trees were swinging efficiently. The image of her suddenly came up to his mind.

‘Thank you, Son Naeun. If it wasn’t for you, my mother would have lost her treasure and I couldn’t bear to see her in misery.’

“Daddy!” a squeaky voice interrupted Myungsoo’s train of thoughts.

Myungsoo looked at the owner of the voice and a smile was spread on his face. It was his five years-old daughter; Kim Naeun.

“Go to Daddy,” a sweet voice handed the little girl to Myungsoo from her hold and the voice unsurprisingly belongs to Bae Suzy.

“Daddy!” she pouted as she reached both of her hands to him; telling him to hold her.

Myungsoo chuckled as he swiftly carried her in his hold. Soon after, she played with her father’s hair before leaning on his shoulder. He smiled at Suzy, “It must be tiring to take care of Naeun, right? Especially since you’re going to give birth soon.”

Suzy shook her head with a soft smile. “Not at all. You know how much I love Naeun, right? Besides it’s normal for a kid like her to get energetic like this and this is the only thing I could help you with at moments like this,” she giggled as she patted Naeun’s head.

“I don’t know what will I do without you. Thank you for everything, Suzy. You’ve been such a wonderful friend to me and I’ll never be able to repay your kindness towards me,” he truthfully said.

“Well, you’re wrong. There’s a way for you to repay me,” Suzy grinned.

“And what’s that?” Myungsoo raised his eyebrow.

“Be my child’s godfather, deal?” she wiggled her pinky at him.

Myungsoo puffed. “Of course I’m willing to! Deal!” he then laced his pinky with hers and both of them broke into laughter.

“Whoa there. What did I miss, huh?” a tall male came into the scene as he securely put his arm on Suzy’s waist.

Suzy looked at him; her husband whose name was Son Dongwoon as she answered, “Myungsoo agreed to be our child’s godfather!” she applaud happily.

Dongwoon could only chuckle at his wife’s childishness. Myungsoo was right; Suzy was such an adorable woman. He was glad that he met Suzy despite losing his only sister at the moment. “That’s good,” he responded.

“Husband to Choi Sulli?” a nurse called out whilst her eyes wandered around.

Myungsoo’s ears perked up as he heard the name; Choi Sulli. He immediately knew it was his wife’s name as he put Naeun down before he jogged to the nurse. “Is my wife okay?”

The nurse smiled with her eyes. “She’s fine but she is just tired. You can see her in an hour, I hope you can wait,” she told him.

“How about my child?” Myungsoo asked.

He became panicked when the nurse could only give him a small smile before leaving. He sat down on the chair as he covered his face. “My child...”

Dongwoon sat next to him and patted his back in a comforting way. “Do not easily jump into conclusion yet, Myungsoo. The nurse didn’t even say anything. Who knows if there’s a good surprise awaiting you,” he tried to cheer Myungsoo up.

“Mummy and my little siblings are going to be fine, aren’t they, Daddy?” Naeun flashed her cute grin to her father.

“Hopefully,” Myungsoo sighed as he looked at his daughter, Kim Naeun who was still grinning. He could see a strong resemblance of this Naeun to the late Son Naeun. That was why he decided to name his baby as Naeun; so he could gain more strength. And it was indeed proven that Naeun was his strength.

 

/

 

An hour later, a doctor finally let them visit Sulli. Myungsoo rushed to Sulli’s ward and when he entered the room, he didn’t even take a glance of the room as he continuously kissed his wife’s forehead. Sulli smiled in delight to see her husband’s face.

“Aren’t you going to see our babies?” she asked in a meek voice; probably because she hadn’t regained her drained energy.

Myungsoo’s face changed into a confused one. “Babies?” as he looked at the other side, he found both Suzy and Dongwoon were holding a baby each on their arms. His eyes enlarged at his wife.

As if Sulli could read the question from Myungsoo’s widened eyes, she nodded with a smile. “Boy twins. Unexpected, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, since the doctor never mentioned that we’re getting twin babies. But whatever it is, I’m so happy that you and our babies are fine,” he sat at the edge of the bed while Sulli’s head; romantically looking at her.

“According to the doctor, the second baby was hidden behind the first baby since it’s smaller than the first. So it was kind of chaotic back there since all of us in the labour room didn’t expect a second baby after I delivered our first baby,” Sulli laughed at the memory.

Myungsoo frowned at his laughing wife. “Don’t laugh yet! Your wound needs time to heal.”

It was Sulli’s turn to frown. “Then what do you expect me to do? Keep a stoic face 24/7?” she asked in disapproval.

He sighed. Never once he would win an argument against Sulli. Or probably because he loved her very much that he gave in for her. “Fine, but laugh considerately. Remember what happened after you gave birth to Naeun? Your wound was opened because you laughed too much!”

Sulli sulked. “Fine then, Mr. Husband.”

Myungsoo smiled at what she called him. “Good, that’s so my Mrs. Wife,” he touched her nose which made her smile.

“You’re going to get more little siblings very soon, Naeun,” Dongwoon sarcastically told the little kid.

“And soon you need to take care of your siblings by yourself because your Mummy and Daddy are too busy producing dozens kids of Kim family,” Suzy added.

Naeun could only blink at what the married couple told her since she couldn’t understand a thing.

“Stop talking nonsense to my daughter,” yet both Myungsoo and Sulli laughed and joined by Dongwoon and Suzy.

Then they came to the bed and handed the twins to their parents. “Your babies are so cute, how I wish our child will come out as twins too unexpectedly,” Suzy patted her belly with a pout.

“Let’s work hard next time, okay?” Dongwoon said with a cheeky grin which received a hard smack from Suzy. “This hasn’t come out yet and you already think of having another one? Get pregnant by yourself then!”

Myungsoo and Sulli laughed at the couple’s endless bickering. They were always this funny that it brightened their days. Myungsoo stared at his wife as she replied his gaze with her eye-smile. Then they dropped their gazes at their babies.

“What are we going to name them?” Sulli asked; ignoring Dongwoon and Suzy’s pointless fight. She knew they would make up again soon.

Before Myungsoo could think of anything, Naeun jumped in the bed and smiled at her parents, “Can I name them?”

Myungsoo and Sulli looked at each other with raised eyebrows before changing their gazes at their adorable daughter. “Sure!”

“I want to name them as Kim Myungha and Kim Sulhu, are these okay?” little Naeun asked for her parents’ approval.

“That actually doesn’t sound bad at all! I guess we’re naming our babies as Myungha and Sulhu then?” Myungsoo agreed as Sulli just nodded.

“This is Myungha,” Naeun said as she pointed at the baby on Sulli’s arm, “and this is Sulhu!” before pointing at the one in Myungsoo’s arm.

“How do you differentiate them?” the father asked.

Naeun grinned as she swept her thumb on her nose. “Easy! Myungha is bigger and he has a mole on the nose, just like Mummy! And Sulhu is the smaller baby and he inherits Daddy’s sharp eyes,” she explained wisely.

“Naeun is such a clever sister,” Myungsoo complimented his daughter to encourage her.

“Of course I am! I want to be my brothers’ strength so I need to be clever so I can protect them,” she said before landing a kiss on both of her little brothers’ cheeks. Then she gave kisses to both of her parents before moving to Dongwoon and Suzy.

She tugged on them and told them to bend down. As they did what she told them to, she placed her smooch on their cheeks. “If it’s a baby girl, can I name her as Nara? But if it’s a boy, then I have no idea because I’ve given both names that I could think of to my brothers,” she blinked her eyes as she put her small hand on Suzy’s belly.

Dongwoon chuckled as he the little girl’s hair. “Of course you can, Naeun. But you’ll have to wait until the baby comes out, okay?” to which Naeun ecstatically nodded her head before running to the window as she looked at the trees that could be seen from the room.

‘Auntie Naeun, whoever and wherever you are, you must be an angel, right? Thank you for letting me to use your beautiful name. Thank you for being Daddy’s strength but you don’t have to worry anymore because from this time, I’ll be Daddy’s strength; but not only Daddy, even Mummy, Myungha and Sulhu.

Auntie Naeun, thank you because you once protected Daddy. I hope I’ll be able to protect my family just like how you did. I hope you’re happy even though you’re being far away from us and please pray for us here. I wish I can meet you, but Daddy told me I can’t because you’re not here anymore. But I believe one day, we’ll be able to meet each other, right? Please acknowledge that I love you, Auntie Naeun,’ she closed her eyes as a smile was formed on her lips.

‘I love you too, Naeun.’

Naeun opened both of her eyes when she heard that. She knew it was her ‘Auntie Naeun’. ‘Thank you for answering me, Auntie Naeun,’ she smiled in satisfaction before blowing hot air onto the cold window.

She drew her name; Naeun on the window as she wrote another word besides her name and that word was strength

 

/

 

 

 

Completed! I'm sorry if this has too many surprises because I'm surprised myself owo I'm sorry if the ending isn't satisfying D; Feel free to leave your comment! Thank you for reading (;

P/S: Anyone feels I should do a spin-off for Suzy's side? Because apparently, I think I should ;;