o1

Strength

 

 

He loved her. So much that he was willing to do anything just for her. Even that meant he had to sacrifice his precious life. Love sure came in the first place for him.

He watched as she walked in the hallway; receiving stares from the students around. A proud smile came onto his godlike face. How he wanted to shout to the world to tell she was his girl.

She was his girl only in his perspective, not in everyone’s eyes.

He stepped towards her with his dreamy smile. As she turned to look at him, he waved at her as he winked romantically. “Hey there, princess.”

Suzy half snorted and half chuckled with Myungsoo’s nickname for her. “Hey there, peasant,” she called playfully.

“Am I that low in your eyes? But it’s okay, this peasant will manage to win the princess’ pure heart, someday,” he determinedly uttered. He vowed to himself to win her heart for years and he knew she knew it too. But it seemed like she wasn’t ready yet to this type of thing. He would wait for her, even though it meant forever.

Suzy hesitantly smiled at Myungsoo’s words. He had been repeating the same thing for the past years and it was becoming something that her memory wouldn’t delete. As much as she wanted to tell him to stop trying, yet she couldn’t because she didn’t have any solid reason to make him stop.

“Rather than listening to your nonsense, I think it’s better if we head to the class right now, isn’t me right, Mr. Peasant?” she tilted her head cutely at him as she put her books in his hold before walking ahead him.

Myungsoo lightly cackled at her adorableness. She was so perfect in his eyes that he wouldn’t be able to give her up easily. Everything she did sent electricity to his heart. Smiling, he started to make a move too; following her steps.

But there was something that he didn’t know. If he found Bae Suzy as the most perfect woman in the world, then there was someone who viewed him as the most perfect person with perfect features combined together with perfect personality.

And that person was her; who had been crushing on him longer than he had a crush on Suzy.

 

/

 

Her seat was at the back of the class and it had been years that she kept sitting at the back; ever since elementary school until she became a middle school student and here she was in high school; still sitting at the back of the class.

The reason was only one and that reason was him.

She just loved to watch him; Kim Myungsoo. Years of sitting at the back of the class were spent just to watch him; gazing at what he did. That was why she already learnt so much about him; purposely or unintentionally. It seemed like she knew him the best than the other people; even his obvious fans and the girl who remained a best friend to him no matter how hard he tried to change the status; Bae Suzy.

She saw how his belongings were mostly black in colour. She also found that he would have three black pens and one blue pens in his pencil case every year. She noticed he always stared at a specific coin; probably his lucky coin but would hide it when Suzy came.

His expressions during classes had also memorized by her. She noted that he would be energetic during Math class; he concentrated hard during History lesson; he tried his best in sports in P.E. class; he closed his eyes and listened calmly when the teacher was reciting poems during Literature and how he kept frowning in English period. She knew English was his weakest subject. How she wanted to tutor him for English but he had gotten English lesson with Bae Suzy.

Most importantly, she knew he was so in love with Bae Suzy yet she still found herself loving him even though never once did he notice her existence. But that just added things that she liked about him.

She was aware to the fact that Myungsoo was always staying by Suzy’s side. It was rare to find the sight of Myungsoo being alone or hanging out with other people. When there was Suzy, then there was 100% possibility Myungsoo would be there as well. Sometimes, she caught a glance of Suzy’s unhappy expression; probably because she was tired of Myungsoo being around her.

“I’ll love your presence around me every single second. How I wish I can trade place with her,” Naeun heaved a sigh as she watched how Myungsoo kept sneaking glances at Suzy who was luckily sitting next to him. Well, it was lucky in Naeun’s view but we didn’t know what Suzy truly felt.

“Son Naeun, enough of daydreaming. How about if come in front and answer this question?” the teacher slammed his stick on the blackboard surprising Naeun.

“H-Huh?” she blinked her eyes as she jolted up from her seat.

“I want you to answer this question... now!” the teacher barked. He was one of the most daunting teachers in the school and no one dared to speak back to him or went against him.

Naeun slogged forward with a perturbed expression written on her face. As she reached the blackboard, she read the question in her mind.

Given the arithmetic progression 7,13,19,... find the three consecutive terms whose sum is 219.

She unknowingly formed a crease on her forehead. How did she answer this? She didn’t even pay any attention earlier because she was too busy admiring Kim Myungsoo.

Her right hand grabbed a chalk as she started to work on the question. She hesitantly wrote her answer as she felt her teacher’s intense stare on her. Once she was done writing her answer (which she knew was absolutely wrong), she read what she had written.

7+13+19=39.

219-39=180.

180÷3=60.

“You think your answer is right?” the teacher coldly asked as he banged his stick again on the blackboard.

Naeun timidly shook her head as she ducked her head in embarrassment. It was such an easy question yet she got it wrong.

“Do you know why your answer is wrong? It’s because you paid no attention when I’m explaining in the class! You were too busy staring and smiling like a complete dumb and now you’re dumber because you can’t even answer this question on board!” he yelled at the poor girl who was at the brink of tears.

It would be a lie if she said she didn’t feel hurt by his harsh words; but it was no comparison to what she felt when she saw how Myungsoo was being protective over Suzy. Her heart ached so much to see Myungsoo’s affection towards Suzy. She knew she in no position to argue, but she just couldn’t help it.

“Who can solve this question?” the teacher loudly asked to students in the class; waking Naeun again from her thoughts.

Someone raised his hand once the teacher finished his sentence. The teacher beckoned him to come forward as he walked to the front of the class.

Naeun moved to the side to give space for Myungsoo. She watched how he skilfully wrote on the board. He finished answering the question in less than a minute. Naeun was totally awed with how fast Myungsoo finished the question. He was the Math genius after all. She looked at how Myungsoo solved the question.

a=7, d=6

a + (n-1)d + a + nd + a + (n-1)d = 219.

                                  3a + 3nd = 219.

                                 21 + 18n  = 219.

                                         18n  = 219.

                                            n   = 11.

T11 = 7 + 10(6) = 67.

T12 = 7 + 11(6) = 73.

T13 = 7 + 12(6) = 79.

 

It was totally different on how Naeun answered it. She mentally slapped herself on her own carelessness.

“As expected from Kim Myungsoo. So, do you finally understand it now, Son Naeun?” the said girl nodded her head meekly. “You can go back to your seat now, so do you, Myungsoo.”

Naeun and Myungsoo both went back to their respective seats as Naeun stole one last stare at Myungsoo and the class proceed again. She made a mental note to herself; not to think of Myungsoo during Math class! Or maybe she should lessen it...

 

/

 

It was time for P.E. All students had changed to their gym clothes from the school uniforms. They went to the gym and chattered amongst them while waiting for their instructor.

Just like always, Naeun found Myungsoo happily laughing next to his long-time crush, Suzy. She watched how genuine Myungsoo’s smile as if he was very contented to be with her. Of course he was; why did she even question that?

She unknowingly curved her lips upwards when she observed how Myungsoo was cracking hard on something that he talked with Suzy. But then she scoffed at herself; why did she even smile at the scene of him laughing with Suzy?

Reality just struck her once again and she felt severely hurt. Why wasn’t her who laughing next to Myungsoo? Why did she get trapped in her own fantasy?

‘Wake up, Son Naeun. He’s never going to look at you. You need to accept the ugly truth,’ she thought as she ran her eyes to other direction as hurt was evident in her eyes.

A whistle was blown loudly that could be heard even in ten kilometre. All students stopped their chattering right away and moved to where the instructor was. Naeun meekly walked slower than the other students.

“Today, we are going to play dodge ball so divide into two teams and be quick because we have no time to waste!” the instructor said in a breath as he blew the whistle once again.

The students started to find their teammates yet Naeun was lost. She didn’t know which team to join since she could be considered as socially awkward and she got least friends.

“Naeun, over here!” someone called her name from her right.

She turned to look at the voice and found Kwon Sohyun, the captain of their school’s cheerleader team calling out for her. She smiled at her as she made her way to join Sohyun’s team.

Miraculously, she was in the same team as Myungsoo and mentally thanked Sohyun for inviting her over the team. But unfortunately, there was Myungsoo’s sweetheart, Suzy in the team as well.

Naeun sighed dreamily and someone tapped her shoulder.

“Hey, cheer up! The game is about to start!” a cheeky grin was flashed at her as she smiled back at the owner of that grin, Jung Ilhoon.

Naeun went to her position and got ready to play; or actually to be a static statue. She knew no one was going to aim the ball at her but she couldn’t wait to be out from the game.

The game started as the opposite team; lead by Lee Hongbin, the school’s most precious dodge ball player threw the ball at their team and it almost hit Suzy but Myungsoo pulled her away before she could do anything.

Naeun could only watch with a wish that she wouldn’t be able to reach; to be in Suzy’s place.

“Naeun, be careful!” she heard someone shouted her name and she realised a ball was coming to her. Thanks to her fast reflexes, she was capable to avoid herself from getting hit as she grabbed the ball.

She looked at the other team and without waiting for a single second, she forcefully threw the ball and too bad it didn’t hit anyone. Kim Namjoon from the other team got the ball and he threw it back to their team.

And the ball came in contact with Bang Minah’s head; the girl with the loudest voice in their class. She shrieked at Namjoon when the instructor said she was out from the game. “You’re going to get it, Kim freaking Namjoon!” yet the said guy made a face at her and put his thumbs down.

The game proceed again despite the ‘lovebirds’ quarrel’ and Hongbin was holding the ball. Every player from Naeun’s team looked very cautious and everyone wanted to hide behind everyone

He smiled before throwing the ball as Myungsoo saw how the ball was targeted on Suzy. Since the ball was too fast, Myungsoo became worried it might hurt Suzy so he stepped in front of Suzy to receive the ball.

He couldn’t get the ball in his hands as the ball hit him and bounced at someone who was standing near him.

And the ball just hit Son Naeun on the arm. She was surprised since she didn’t see the ball was coming at her because she was too occupied with the scene of Myungsoo taking the ball for Suzy.

“Kim Myungsoo, Son Naeun, are out!” the instructor announced.

Both of them went to the side of the court. Naeun snuck a look at Myungsoo and she noticed he was looking frustrated; perhaps because he couldn’t protect Suzy in the game anymore.

Naeun watched how protective Myungsoo was over Suzy and she couldn’t help but to feel slightly jealous. She knew it was absurd for her to be jealous when Myungsoo wasn’t even her boyfriend. And she doubted if he even noticed her existence; even though she had been around him for years.

She gazed at him with heart-rending eyes. ‘Why do I still love you when you clearly don’t love me back?’

 

/

 

She breathed heavily as she passed the school’s gate. She knew it was time for her to talk to him about it; about them. She needed to take action over this matter and she was trying to do that at the moment.

She normally entered the class; maybe it looked normal to other people but not to him.

“What’s wrong with you, Bae Suzy? You look anxious,” he immediately took notice on her expression as he gently squeezed her shoulders his eyes floated up and down her body just to check if she injured herself.

“No, I’m really okay. You don’t have to act like I’m diagnosed with some critical illness,” she assured him.

“Well, you are not, are you?” his eyes widened in worry.

Suzy shook her head. “I’m conditionally fine. It is just that I-I have something to talk with you,” she bit her lips nervously as she looked at him.

“Oh sure. Then tell me what you have to tell me,” he motioned her to go on.

Her eyes shifted around as she told him, “Not here. I need some privacy to talk about it.”

The still confused Myungsoo robotically nodded his head. “Alright then.”

With that, both of them dashed out from the class leaving the curious Son Naeun who had been hearing their small conversation. She wondered what Suzy had to tell Myungsoo. Was she finally agreeing to be his girlfriend?

She was dying to know as she strode up from her seat before her cautiously prying on Myungsoo and Suzy. She followed their steps and she knew they were heading towards the rooftop. She let them climbed up the stairs first before doing the same.

The door was closed by Suzy and Naeun could only hear their voices. At least that was still better than not knowing anything for her.

She put her ears on the door and made sure no sound was produced. She gulped when Myungsoo’s voice was heard.

“So, what do you have to tell me?” he asked as he formed a smile on his face.

Suzy tried her best to let out her voice from her larynx. “I want to talk about us.”

Myungsoo’s eyebrows knitted when he heard what Suzy said. “Us? What’s with us?”

“Us as in we—well it’s wrong. We are wrong,” she didn’t know how to explain the situation to him because she didn’t want her words to hurt him in any way.

He looked at her in disbelief. “What could be wrong about us? Are you somehow implying our friendship is a mistake, that I’m not a right friend to you? Am I that bad as a friend—”

Suzy raised her palms in front of Myungsoo’s face before he could continue what he said. “Can’t you stop making such assumptions? I haven’t finished talking yet, Kim Myungsoo.”

The lad went silent upon hearing how her voice sounded stern; so atypical of Bae Suzy. “Okay then, say what you have in mind,” he deciphered. Kim Myungsoo would never do anything against Bae Suzy’s will, just a huge no and it was too impossible to happen.

“I’ve been thinking about us for quite a long time,” she paused to see Myungsoo’s reaction. He summoned her to continue. “And I think there’s something wrong in our friendship. Something which shouldn’t be happening, it’s unfair and one of us is going to get hurt eventually.”

Now Myungsoo finally saw where the conversation was heading to. “W-What are you trying to tell me actually? Just be straight to the point,” he stated. He knew it was hard for her to say what had been going through her mind without hurting him.

Suzy tore her gaze away before she continued to where she stopped, “I appreciate what you do for me. I do feel protected when you’re being protective over me, how you are always by my side but there’s one thing that bothers me, I don’t deserve it. You’ve been too kind to me and I don’t think I can continuously receive your kindness, at least not anymore,” she said as she looked at him with remorseful eyes.

Myungsoo bitterly chuckled at her declaration. “Why are you saying such things? I thought you knew better that I did all those things because I love you, Suzy,” he truthfully told.

A soft grunt was heard from Suzy. “That’s where it goes wrong! You love me when I can’t even love you back with the mutual feelings!” she yelled unknowingly.

“Love can be created,” he argued as his face turned pale.

“Created as a matter of fact or fiction?” she strictly demanded.

“Why can’t you try to love me?” he didn’t answer her yet he threw her a question.

“Let me tell you something. I’ve tried, Myungsoo. Ever since we entered high school, I tried to reply the feelings but I couldn’t bring myself to loving you! I didn’t want to disappoint you, I didn’t want to hurt your feelings and I didn’t want our friendship to be broken but it has been three years of trying, Myungsoo. I’m already tired of this. As much as I want to view you as a man, I can only see you as a friend. I love you, Myungsoo, I really do, but as a friend, not more or less than that,” she regretfully said.

 A long silence surrounded them when Suzy finally told Myungsoo about what she could conclude from their friendship. Only the sound of breezy wind could be perceived.

“So, I need to move on huh?” he jokingly asked even though the bitter feeling was still flooding him.

“Maybe you should,” she replied as she studied his expression. She knew he couldn’t accept it wholly yet but she hoped he would be able to do so soon.

“I’ll try but don’t blame me if I’m not able to let you go from my heart,” he frankly told her.

“At least you’ll try and that’s good enough to hear. And I’m sorry for not being able to love you as a man,” Suzy held his hand as she curved her lips upwards genuinely at him.

Myungsoo only nodded his head as he tightened the hold. ‘It’s too impossible to stop loving such a wonderful person like you, Bae Suzy.’

Behind the locked door, Naeun didn’t know why but she felt at ease when she heard what Suzy had told Myungsoo. But deep inside, out of all people she knew that Myungsoo wouldn’t be able to erase Suzy easily from his heart just like how Naeun couldn’t stop to be in love with Myungsoo.

She clutched onto her heart as tears of sorrow started to form in her eyes. ‘At least she made an effort to love you, but would you try to love me if you know that I’ve been in love with you for years?’

 

/

 

It was one cloudy day when school finished that day. Perhaps it was presenting the hearts of three youths.

Son Naeun looked to her side to find an awkward atmosphere between Suzy and Myungsoo. She was able to read the situation visibly. They might look like things were alright between them, but Naeun could sense both of them were trying hard to act normal around each other.

“Ah, it’s a cat!” Suzy happily shouted as her index finger pointed at a white cat that lazily sat on the road while playing with its tail.

Myungsoo softly beamed to see how euphoric Suzy looked when she saw the cat. He knew her addiction and affection towards cats very well that she couldn’t even see one or she’d be treating it like her own babies.

Glancing at the vacant road, Suzy instantaneously ran to catch the cat. Naeun, who was watching her running to the cat somehow didn’t feel good about it. It felt like something was about to take place and it was something terrible. Her heart wasn’t at ease and when she looked at the road, her eyes enlarged in horror.

Myungsoo saw what Naeun was seeing; a speeding car was heading right towards Suzy in less than a minute. “Oh no,” his body turned rigid but he pushed himself to run to the middle of the road to save his beloved one.

A loud scream was emitted from Suzy’s mouth when Myungsoo cried her name as he shoved her to the roadside. Suzy fell with a loud thud as her knee and elbow were scraped due to the fall but she wasn’t aware of her injury because she was more worried over the static Myungsoo when the car was about to hit him in any second.

“No! Run, Myungsoo!” she shouted in terror.

Myungsoo’s heart was pounding louder than ever. Just when death surfaced his thought, a figure wrapped her arms around him as she pressed her petite body to him so it could prevent him from getting hit. As a result, she was the one who was knocked down by the car.

Myungsoo could hear a painful groan from the girl as red blood was poured out from endlessly and she was having a trouble to breathe properly. Both of them collapsed to the ground due to the hard slam and that was when Myungsoo’s head touched the tar road strongly which caused his sight to turn darkened.

Even in his dark world, he seemed to remember what just happened. His mind was filled with a single question.

“Son Naeun, why did you save me?”

 

/

 

Finally! I posted this ;; I'm sorry if there are lots of typos and grammatical errors and just everything since I'm too fab lazy to check it. Why don't you check it for me? (: I just want to get this done because I want to rayaaaaa ;_; Just a little bit more left. Wish I can write this as a long-chaptered story but well I have no time sorry ;'c

Comments are highly appreciated (: