Calling on the Bennets

Horse Boy of St. Ives

*NOTE* i don't want there to be any misunderstanding about terms or culture, so please always check the bottom for culture and vocab notes if you have any issues~ <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wallpaper set a hazy glow of creamy green hovering throughout the dining room. Beatrice's silver spoon clinked against her bowl of mushroom soup as the Bennet family ate in silence. Silence was a rare treat in the family, and it was such now due to Lady Bennent's current absence. 

Beatrice's elder sister, Caroline, set her spoon daintily on the plate that held her soup bowl. She smoothed down her dress and turned to Beatrice. "Beatrice, dear, when do you think Mam-"

"OH, GIRLS!" Lady Bennet screeched as a servant entered the room, holding the door open. Mama glided in, yards of silken fabric fluttering behind her.

Beatrice sighed. So much for a lovely morning....

Papa rolled his eyes behind his newspaper. "Good morning to you too, dearest." He set his paper down, flattening it. 

Mama sighed dramatically as she sat her rump in her usual seat. "Beatrice, dear, I hope you have not forgotten your engagement with the Duke this afternoon."

She slumped her shoulders. I would have had you not thought to mention it, Beatrice mused as she rolled her eyes. "No, Mama, I have not." 

"SIT UP STRAIGHT, CHILD," Mama scolded. She sighed again, equally as dramatic as before. "Why cannot you be like Caroline?"

Caroline smiled at Beatrice as she rolled her eyes. Beatrice straightened up as she supressed a giggle. 

"You know the Duke is very fond of you, Beatrice," her mother continued. She drew a breath before bringing a fulll spoon to her painted lips. Papa coughed as he brought his newspaper up again. He clearly had no interest in the direction of this conversation. "Although why, I would never know. Caroline is much more handsome than you are, Beatrice."

Beatrice wasn't phased. She calmly finished her soup. Mama was always praising the elder Bennet and it no longer bothered Beatrice. Her mother's words always seemed weightless to her, no matter what she said.

-----------------------------

Caroline pushed her embroidery needle carefully through the fabric. "Dearest, you know Mama doesn't mean to-"

"She favors you and always has," Beatrice interrupted. She set her embroidery down, frustrated at it. She always hated embroidery, but Mama insisted she learn the skill. She had reminded her that every young lady knew embroidery. Why do I have to be apart of this?

Caroline sighed. "Beatrice. I hope you're not thinking that Mama doesn't love you?"

"i never said that," Beatrice said firmly. She kicked a foot up on the small, apholstered stool that sat in front of her. She watched Caroline out of the corner of her eye. Caroline adjusted herself uncomfortably when she noticed Beatrice's foot raised. 

Beatrice rolled her eyes, turning her head towards the open window. A maid had opened the glass to let in a lovely afternoon breeze. Smiling, Beatrice closed her eyes, feeling the sun's warmth on her face. 

"Jonathan Harris, Duke of Cornwall," a maid announced, her voice quivering as she curtsied. 

Beatrice's eyes shot open. Caroline looked at her sister, rising gracefully and nodding at Beatrice to do the same. Beatrice quickly followed suit. Why did I suddenly forget to rise?

The maid stepped aside, her eyes wide as the Duke stepped grandly into the room. Beatrice smoothed down her pale blue riding dress nervoulsy. Mama had sent a maid earlier to prepare her for the afternoon ride with the Duke, but the event had still failed to adhere to her thoughts. 

The duke was clad in a long beige riding coat, a green vest over his white shirt, creme colored pants, and brown leather gloves. Atop his head sat a tall black hat . He smiled broadly as his bright green eyes twinkled. 

"Mr. Harris," Beatrice greeted as the two girls bowed their heads and bent their knees slightly. The maid scampered out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Beatrice," the young Duke bowed, shocking the sisters at his informality. He turned to the elder sister. "Miss Bennet."

Beatrice racked her brain as her heard unexpectedly began to pound. Ask him to sit down, Beatrice! "Wou-"

"Shall we go riding now?" Mr. Harris interrupted hastily. He smiled down at Beatrice, his curly strawberry blonde hair bouncing as he removed his hat. He offered her his arm. She took it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beatrice burried her face in Penny's neck as she waited for the stable boy to prepare the Duke's horse for riding. She was examining her own feelings for the Duke.

What feelings? she wondered. He's a man 10 years older than me and I've only just come out this year!  There hadn't been much pressure for Beatrice to marry before the Duke began to show an interest in her. Beatrice was comely, but not quite so as Caroline. Caroline held the heaviest burden between the sisters because of her angelic face and nature. Mama had always reminded the family that Caroline would be the one to marry above their rank. Beatrice at the time seemed to be meerly a shadow in the background, gone unnoticed. When the Duke was introduced to the Bennets at lavish party one evening, he immediately showed interest in Beatrice. Ever since that day, Mama had not allowed Beatrice to play in the fields or in the streams. No longer could she longue about the barn reading fairytails. She couldn't even play on her favorite swing just outside the stables. Mama had broke her into become a young lady. 

Beatrice sighed as a small tear ran down her cheek, falling onto Penny's neck. She sniffed softly.

A warm pressure slid shyly onto Beatrice's shoulder. She jerked around, her wet eyes frightened.

It was the stable boy. Beatrice could barely remember his name. She stared up at him, her eyes confused and defensive. He was holding onto her shoulder, concern written on his face. Beatrice watched as his suprisingly clean fingers touched her cheeks, gently wiping her tears.

She was shocked. He had clearly stepped above his rank; the unthinkable gesture for a servant to show his mistress.

His handsome face born a warm, kind smile as he wiped the last of her tears away. "Milady," he whispered softly. "Your features are best seen without tears marring them."

Beatrice's heart leapt. And she dispised it. Grasping his hand, she hissed, "Know your place, horse boy!"

"Beatrice?" the Duke called as he strode into the stable. Beatrice dropped Minwoo's hand forcefully, turning away. "Is something the matter?" the Duke continued. He glared over Minwoo, stepping closer to the boy.

"No, sir," Beatrice said firmly, gripping her horse's reigns. She led Penny from the stable and mounted her. 

The Duke looked the stable boy up and down before mounting his own horse.

As the Duke and Lady galloped off down the field, Beatrice looked back at the stable boy. She couldn't help but feel sorry for her actions as she watched him grow smaller and smaller. 

"Lovely countryside!" the Duke exclaimed with jolly. His lovely curls were flying in the wind as he laughed.

Smiling, Beatrice pushed away her apologetic feelings and smelled the warm afternoon air. After all, he's only a horse boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Culture Notes:

-It was custom to stand when a guest arrives. 

-"coming out" was when a girl basically was saying to society that she's ready to marry. it has nothing to do with "coming out the closet"

Vocabulary:

None today :D

Author's Note:

I'm SO sorry I haven't updated in forever. School right now is pretty much consuming my life Dx I'll update more, I promise. Also I'm sorry if it seems slow right now, i just need to establish background, setting, etc. I have some great things in store for this story, so please continue reading :)